ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Humbleness

Posted by Vista 
Humbleness
May 12, 2010 11:32AM
Humbleness

Please post sakhiyaa on Gursikha Da Nimarta. If we have just 1% of humbleness like these Gurmukhs, there would be not more Sikhs arguing, slandering being clever with each other.

Here's one that comes to mind

Rangley Saajan - Bhai Sahib Swaran Singh Jee
Narrated By Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee

The incident at Ambala Railway Station

Once i was going to meet the loved ones Sri Babu Mal Singh and Piara Singh Ji, who were in the Army at Ambala Cantt, along with the Jatha, including Bhai Swaran Singh Jee. They were being transferred to a remote place and we wanted to meet them before their departure at the cantonment. At the railway station all were self occupied and Bhai Swaran Singh got lost in deep meditation while standing. It so happened, that he was standing outside a ticket issuing window, which was then closed and he stood alone. However, a train arrived and the tickets were to be issued to the passengers from that window. We were all set to march to the cantonment and were unaware of this. There was a rush of passengers to buy tickets were at the window blocked by Bhai Swaran Singh. Soon a police constable on duty arrived at the scene, but Bhai Sahib was unconcerned with the happenings and completely lost in himself. The policeman shook him a few times, but without an effect. In anger, he gave a full slap to the face of Bhai Swaran Singh at which Bhai Sahib opened his eyes and the constable shouted, "Don't you know the tickets are issued here? You have been repeatedly told to move away from this place, where standing is not allowed. Now this slap serves you right, as you would not listen otherwise."

Just watch this now: Bhai Swaran Singh was not at all angered due to the slap, instead he fell flat at the feet of the constable and apologized for his lapse. But as soon as Bhai Sahib touched his feet, the constable feel flat on his back and started wailing loudly, "O people! Help!! Please get me a pardon from this Sikh." Hearing this plea for help many people gathered there. Writhing painfully on the ground was the constable shouting his pleas. When he was asked, what was his problem? He replied, "This Sikh is going to kill me." He was again asked what had hit him. The constable said, "He has not hit me, he has finished me. He has drawn all my power by falling at my feet. I don't know what miracle he has performed. My salvation is only his his pardoning me." The constable explained how, unaware of Bhai Sahib's meditational state, he had slapped the Sikh for blocking the window and the Sikh instead of remonstrating, had fallen at his feet to apologize for the mistake. On hearing this, one Christian remarked, "This is amazing. Our lord jesus has taught, if a Christian is slapped, he should offer the other cheek to appease the angered person, yet this Sikh has fallen at the feet of the angered. What can be more amazing?"...

The character and jeevan of Gursikhs is Ochaa Suchaa. If we act not according to Gur-Hukams. Then what will be a state in Daragah?

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Humbleness
May 12, 2010 01:54PM
Wonderful! No doubt that we all are lacking nimarta today. May Guru sahib bless us all to be humble and deal with everyone humbly.
May 13, 2010 11:05AM
Bhai Sahib Jeevan Singh at World Sikh Samellen

When Proffessor Manjit Singh was the Jathedar of the Akal thakht Sahib. He called a World Sikh Samellan, which is basically a Sarbat khalsa. Every Gurdwara, sikh group, jatha around the world were invited and days of Panthik veechaar were done at Siri Akal thakht sahib. All Panthik matters were discussed. Thousands of Sikhs gathered, including all the luminories of the Panth.

Many people like political leaders, or jathedars were of self interest and wanted special treatment but everyone was treated equally. No dignatory was treated any more special. However for some reason the Panj Jathedars of the Thakhts sat on a sofa and the complex where this was happening. I saw a picture of it in The Spokesman.

As days of the veechars happened everyone gave their views on many subjects from rehit to khalistan. Proffesor Manjit singh wanted to get this vision of the World Sikh Council passed.

As the A-Z of Sikh leadership and intelligensia sat in the sangat on the floor. A simple gursikh walked into the complex building. He walked in humbly and mattha tekked, and went to sit in the sangat. However straight away, the Jathedars got up and ran over to him, and said to him, he must sit on the sofa. Totally embarrassed he refused. But they brought him over and sat him on the sofa. He sat uncomfortably because he is not one for that kind of attention.

That Gursikh was Bhai Jeevan Singh. The picture came in the Spokesman. It goes to show how highly Bhai sahib, his jeevan, his seva, and his nimarta is respected in the Panth, that only he was given such attention.

It is the virtues of Guru such a pure humility that pull peoples hearts.
May 13, 2010 11:44AM
Bhai Jeevan Singh jee is an embodiment of Nimrata. Such Nimrata is hard to find anywhere today.

Kulbir Singh
May 13, 2010 04:02PM
Humility is the nature of the GurSikh - how can it not be, when Guru Sahib is so great?

I know of a Singh who has drawn many lost youth onto the Sikhi path over the 20 years. I remember a day when he stood before sangat and sobbed uncontrollably, proclaiming that he was nothing but a shoe cleaner.

Bhai Randhir Singh in "Jail Chityan" writes that he has no virtues - that even a dog is better than him, because at least a dog has some virtues, whereas he has none.

What beautiful statements that come from the mouths of Guru's beloveds.
May 14, 2010 10:19AM
Guru Piyare Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh,

This incident of Bhai Swaran Singh Jee presented by ‘Vista’ jio is a great lesson to us that even though one has a high avastha we have to still remain calm and follow the hukam of Guru Sahib. Reading above incident one might think that this incident shows the weakness of a Sikh. If he would be a Nihung Singh he would have done the Sodha to this policeman right way, also pointed out by a bystander Mahasha (a person belongs Hindu background). But balihaar jayeay Bhai Swaran Singh jee de who did not made unnecessary show and strictly followed the hukam of Guru Sahib:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜੋ ਤੈ ਮਾਰਨਿ ਮੁਕੀਆਂ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨ ਮਾਰੇ ਘੁੰਮਿ ॥ ਆਪਨੜੈ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਈਐ ਪੈਰ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਦੇ ਚੁੰਮਿ ॥੭॥ Panna 1378

ਹੇ ਫਰੀਦ! ਜੋ (ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਤੈਨੂੰ ਮੁੱਕੀਆਂ ਮਾਰਨ (ਭਾਵ, ਕੋਈ ਦੁੱਖ ਦੇਣ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਪਰਤ ਕੇ ਨਾ ਮਾਰੀਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਬਦਲਾ ਨਾ ਲਈਂ, ਸਗੋਂ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਪੈਰ ਚੁੰਮ ਕੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਘਰ ਵਿਚ (ਸ਼ਾਂਤ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਵਿਚ) ਟਿਕੇ ਰਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ।੭। O Farid! To those who beat you with fists; do not return them beating. Kiss their feet and remain calm in own house.

However, if one reads the whole story about Bhai Swaran Singh for the same day in ‘Rangley Sajjan’ it will show the solider side of Bhai Sahib jee too, when after this incident in the same evening Bhai Swaran Singh Jee rescued a helpless women from four white policemen who were trying to rape her. This Sakhi represents the complete Sikhi concept of a Saint-Solider Sikh which is very rarely seen now. This can only be accomplished by Guru Sahib’s grace of Naam Rang only and nothing else.

“ਸੱਚੀ ਸੂਰਬੀਰਤਾ ਨਾਮ-ਰੰਗਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ ਹੈ”।
[khalsaspirit.com]

With Regards,
Daas
May 14, 2010 11:11AM
As Jasjit Singh Veer Ji says or quotes “ਸੱਚੀ ਸੂਰਬੀਰਤਾ ਨਾਮ-ਰੰਗਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ ਹੈ”। Similarly it also seems that “ਸੱਚੀ NIMRTA ਨਾਮ-ਰੰਗਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ ਹੈ”। In the story quoted by Vista Ji, we clearly see that it was, all due to ਨਾਮ-ਰੰਗ. Bhai Sahib was so much blessed with the power or sweetness of "Something Inside" that he can not afford to lose it by being aggressive. So, that was height of humbleness because it was height of NAM RANG. Bhai Sahib sees his own fault when he is blocking the ticket window. It shows; those who are busy inside, do not get affected by the disturbances, outside.
----------------------------------------------
By the way, practically speaking, what makes us lose our humbleness? I am smart, more educated, more intelligent, more wealthy, more busy, well settled, Green Card holder, self dependant, more of a Kirtania, more of a Bibeki and all that------------------------------------? How to overcome or override these feelings. That is the issue.
---------------------------------------------
And also related with Humbleness is the issue of Self Confidence. People are mostly going to confuse humbleness with lack of confidence. This is also an issue.
-------------------------------
And also, practically speaking, no body is interested in Humbleness. He or She is interested in your or your children's "Dollar Value"
----------------------------
These are some topics, related with Humbleness, in the present scenerio. We will have to address these, to make Humbleness an asset.
May 14, 2010 12:18PM
this just keeps coming to my mind

Great humility

A Muslim man passed by Bhai Sahib somewhere and he stopped and looked at Bhai Sahib's face. The man goes up to Bhai Jeevan Singh jee and says "I can see 'Allah Da Noor' (the Light of God) in you". Bhai Sahib folded his hands and humbly said, "O great man! Can you please give me your wonderful eyes with which you see such wonderful things.
May 14, 2010 12:23PM

By the way, practically speaking, what makes us lose our humbleness? I am smart, more educated, more intelligent, more wealthy, more busy, well settled, Green Card holder, self dependant, more of a Kirtania, more of a Bibeki and all that------------------------------------? How to overcome or override these feelings. That is the issue.

Exactly Bhai Sahib Jio,

It is very difficult to overcome this without Naam only. Daas would not have participated to this thread toady but a small incident force me to recognize and remember Bhai Swaran Singh Jee incident forever. What happened this morning was that while driving on the way to my work I had to change the lane to right. To do so first I looked to rear mirror then right side mirror to safe lane changing. When I looked to rear mirror first I noticed vehicle behind me at a far distance is also changing the lane to right but his speed seems to fast enough that he would be in parallel to me in seconds so I looked on right side mirror to judge the distance and speed of that vehicle.

Now imagine the scene that during that period I was almost approaching to the point that I had to change line immediately or I will have to stay in same lane to make left turn, So as a quick action I turned the right side signal and started to steer in right keeping in mind the safe distance from the other vehicle approaching. Although there was a safe distance but the other person honked the horn and you know during rush hour what honking horn means in these countries. Now because my vehicle was much bigger than the other one I just furthered to right lane to indicate him to brake a little bit but that person was not willing to do so I showed him little more push and then finally that person slowed a bit and I got the room. Looking thru rear mirror I observed that the person was upset, her face expressions was telling exactly the same. Soon that vehicle started to tailgate me but I did not gave any room to further this situation to road rage level and finally after couple of miles our route changed and this pre-road rage situation ended without much of interaction.

While driving I was analyzing this short incident that why this small situation arose at first place? Although I was not wrong here and it was other vehicle’s person who was speeding to cross the lane and intentionally was not giving room then tailgating to cause trouble. If I had given that person the room at first place no matter right or wrong he/she would not be upset at me. But I did not care because I had bigger vehicle. After brief discussion like this with my mind I realized I failed to uphold a Sikh’s pride because I failed to give the room at first place to that person and I behaved as a common being who took the advantage of his bigger vehicle. My inside cautioned me that this was the small test that while having upper hand or more or bigger thing on my side I failed to show the NIMARTA in this scenario.

So you right Bhai MB Singh Jio it is not easy to leave behind or override until unless we have the strong NAAM da VAASA. Daas seeks a huge Guru Sahib’s kirpa to overcome this.

With Regards,
Daas
May 14, 2010 12:42PM
Thank you very much, Jasjeet Singh Ver Ji, for sharing that road rage stance. I have lost the road test, due to many such bigger follies. Yours was a very tiny one. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login