ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aarti aarta

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Aarti aarta
May 08, 2010 08:04AM
VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh

I was just wondering if Bhai Sahib has ever written anything about Sri Aarti paath/kirtan. In general could anyone share if there are perhaps any vichaars by Bhai Sahib Ji on the bani itself, but I am more interested in whether Bhai Sahib has ever written anything about the way it is carried out by Nihangs, or at Sri Hazoor Sahib. I have always been against things like jot in darbar sahib etc. However there is always something I really love about the way Nihangs do aarti aarta, the way it is sung without instruments by all the sangat, standing up before Guru Ji, and the throwing of flowers... So if anyone could please share views of Bhai Sahib or any other Gurmukhs, please do smiling smiley
Also did sangat of that time used to do aarti kirtan, and what was the length? I think aarti at Sri Darbar Sahib goes up to Bhagat Dhanna ji, but others sing bhuke bhagat na keeje shabad also. The nihang gutka I have has this and also parts of Salok mahlla 9 and of course Dasam Bani forming Aarta.

ps. please no bashing of any gursikhs of any jatha/view, at the end of the day all any of us are trying to do is please Guru Sahib.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Aarti aarta
May 08, 2010 08:23AM
There is a mention of singing Aarti after the Bhog of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib in one of Bhai Sahib books, as follows:

ਤੜਕਸਾਰ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਚਾਰ ਘੜੀਆਂ, ਭੋਗੁ ਪਇਆ ਅਖੰਡ ਪਾਠੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।
ਤਾਬੜ ਤੋੜਿ ਮੰਗਲਚਾਰੁ ਆਰਤੇ ਦਾ, ਛਿੜਿਆ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨਦੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।

There is a mention of doing Aarti Kirtan during the times of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee but surely the Kirtan was not done holding jyots in a thaali as is the maryada at Takhat Siri Hazoor Sahib. As for the size of Aarti, I believe it is pretty much the same as that is sung at Siri Darbar Sahib.

Kulbir Singh
May 08, 2010 11:58AM
Desription of daily conduct at KartarPur Sahib when Guru Sahib settled here.

sodhar aarathee gaaveeai a(n)mrith vaelae jaap ouchaaraa||

Sodar ( Rehras) and Arati were sung , during Amrit Vela JapJi Sahib/Naam Jaap (?) was recited.

Bhai Gurdas Ji
May 09, 2010 07:45AM
Thanks very much for that info.

This is a video of aarti aarta I quite enjoy for anyone interested [www.youtube.com]
May 10, 2010 12:17PM
Arti done at sri Darbar sahib is blissful. Dhan dhan Guru Raam Daas ji!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login