ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Punj Payaras for Amrit Sanchar !!

Posted by gursewak 
As far a i know the PUNJ PAYARAs for the Amrit Sanchar were always picked up from Sangat. I think the practise is to have Sangat name the Punj Payaras and also raise any concerns abt any individual chosen for this Mahan Sewa.

Can someone share how it has been handled during Bhai Sahib and earlier ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf Ji !!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
From what I have learned in Sangat and books of Gurmukhs like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, the candidates for Punj Pyare are chosen from the Sangat of Tyaar-Bar-Tyaar Khalsa in the Hazoori of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. The Granthi Singh announces the intention to choose Gurmukhs for sewa and then Sangat members suggest suitable candidates. If there is an objection on a certain candidate, it is expressed and selected Gurmukhs make a note of it and if the objection is not valid, it is dismissed during the Sudhaayee of the Candidates.

Once the candidates are suggested, they go at a secluded place where Maharaj jee's Parkash is done. If the Amrit Sinchaar is to be done at the place where selection of Punj was done, then rest of the Sangat leaves and only candidates for Sewa are left. Out of these 10-12 Gurmukhs, 6 best candidates are selected based on their Rehit, Jeevan, seniority and experience. Out of these candidates the Pehredaar Gurmukh, Degh sewadars etc. too are chosen, after the Sudhaayee of 6 primary Gurmukhs.

In Jyot Vigaas Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that the Punj were chosen even before the Siri Akhand Paath Sahib for Amrit Sinchaar began. The detailed process is not written though but Bhai Sahib has written that only these chosen Punj (or 6 including the Granthi) did Akhand Paath rauls. The Hukam to listen to Paath was not only for the new candidates but the sewadaars for Punj too listened to Paath, pretty much the whole time. Then the concluding Siri Asa kee Vaar Kirtan too was done by these chosen Punj and the Amrit Sinchaar as well. This way, the whole Samagam including Siri Akhand Paath Sahib, two Siri Asa ki Vaar Kirtans, and Amrit Sinchar went on for 16 Pehars (64 hours).

From the above, it is understood that during the pre-1915 period, the requirement to do sewa in Punj included to be an Akhand Paathi and Kirtaniya as well. The Punj too had to listen to whole of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib, just as the candidates for Amrit did.

We should not forget that the aforementioned Gurmukhs were all Jyot Vigaasi, Brahmgyani Gurmukhs. It is hard to imitate them, today.

Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Much Thanks. I think this Maryada should be strictly followed as there are chances this will disappear from the PANTH.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

"...only these chosen Punj (or 6 including the Granthi)..."

Gurmukho, please comment...Pehradaar/Pehraedaar? Granthi + Punj Gurmukhs would not leave anyone to do that seva. Perhaps I should confess that my math is weak, so who knows, I may have missed it? sad smiley

Also, most interesting was this topic:

[www.akj.org]

4th posting down by "G (Singh/Kaur)" Gill about Amrit Sanchar candidates. What a wide difference in perspective on Amrit candidates...if only current Sikhs could learn to love and respect each other despite such differences in perspective.

Gurmukho, please comment...Pehradaar/Pehraedaar? Granthi + Punj Gurmukhs would not leave anyone to do that seva. Perhaps I should confess that my math is weak, so who knows, I may have missed it?

MS514 jee, Daas did not understand the above. Could you kindly rephrase it?

4th posting down by "G (Singh/Kaur)" Gill about Amrit Sanchar candidates. What a wide difference in perspective on Amrit candidates...if only current Sikhs could learn to love and respect each other despite such differences in perspective.

Did not find the quote for amrit candidates. Could you post the reference here please.

Bhul chuk maaf jee.

Kulbir Singh

Sorry Bhai Sahib. I meant is the Pehradaar also subject to the same scrutiny in the Sudhai? I thought they were, but you stated that the 6 Sikhs were selected including the Granthi Singh - the Pehradaar is the seventh.

Sorry for the link and not being clear:

"Another individual asked Sant Baba Attar Singh Ji why he was giving Amrit to so many people especially those that were not ‘kesh dharee’. He replied by saying that just like a farmer plants seeds, he knows that some crops will grow and some will not, I am planting seeds within all those who wish to take Amrit. It is up to Guru Sahib Ji whether those seeds will grow and sprout or not." (Fifth paragraph, near the middle).

Sorry Bhai Sahib. I meant is the Pehradaar also subject to the same scrutiny in the Sudhai? I thought they were, but you stated that the 6 Sikhs were selected including the Granthi Singh - the Pehradaar is the seventh.

MS514 jeeo, First the Sudhaayee of 6 Gurmukhs is done and once they are approved, then they wear the Baana of Punj Pyare and get ready to take Peshees (after Ardaas). Then the Sudhaayee of the Pehradaar Gursikh/s is done. Next the Sudhaayee of Naam DriR and Degh Sewadaars is done.

Kulbir Singh

Ahhh...I see. So much to learn...so tiny a brain. Thanks!
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then the Sudhaayee of the Pehradaar Gursikh/s is done.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Bhai Sahib Ji

Out of curiosity, are there more than one pehredaar gursikh at one amrit sanchar samagam? Daas always saw only one.

Out of curiosity, are there more than one pehredaar gursikh at one amrit sanchar samagam? Daas always saw only one.

There should be at least one Pehredaar but there is no restriction on how many Pehredaars there can be. Depending on the Sangat and situation, there can be more than one Pehredaar.

Kulbir Singh
Such organized is DASAM Pitta's VIDDI (Process) of AMRIT SANCHAR - DHAN DHAN SATGURU.

All Singhs (Doing Sewa OR even part of the Sangat) should/must be aware of it and we should make sure that this is followed strictly that should prevent any changes that we do today to ease ourselves.

Thanks to all Gursikhs for inputs.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login