ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji - Patti Likhi

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
Is there any sakhi around patti likhi? Some historians say that when Pandit Gopal Das wrote 35 for Guru Nanak Dev Ji (when he was 7), Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji wrote complete patti in Raag Asa.

Other historians say that Guru Sahib wrote the shabad "ਜਾਲਿ ਮੋਹੁ ਘਸਿ ਮਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਤਿ ਕਾਗਦੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਰੁ" when pandit started teaching him.

What are sangat views on the above?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
When Mehta Kalu sent Guru Sahib to school the Pandit tried to teach him Guru Sahib recited

ਸਸੈ ਸੋਇ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਸਾਜੀ ਸਭਨਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਏਕੁ ਭਇਆ ॥

The Pandit then said he could not longer teacher Guru Sahib because he already knew everything. This is according to Bhai Bala Janam Sakhi
Thanks Suthra Singh Ji, that is Gurbani under the Sirlekh of Patti Likhi "ਸਸੈ ਸੋਇ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਸਾਜੀ ਸਭਨਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਏਕੁ ਭਇਆ ॥". I think Bhai Bala Janam Sakhi talks about both Shabads during that time where as Valait wali janam sakhi just talks about the second one.

Another question is about the shade by the Cobra or Shade by the tree? Both above janam saakhis talk about shade given by the tree (shade didn't move for the tree where Guru Ji was resting) but have no mention about shade by the cobra which we have often heard. Any thoughts around the same?
Bhai Sahib,

From childhood I remember the sakhi about the Cobra through oral tradition. As an adult I never checked any books to verify these facts. But as an adult I think I did come across the story of the Cobra in Kavi Santokh Singhs book Suraj Parkash. Either way if it was shade of the tree or Cobra the shaded Guru Sahib I think the same message is the same " All nature, all of creation serves Guru Sahib" . This story can be verified by Gurbani.

I dont necessarily think written word is more authentic and truthful than oral word. History books mentioned Guru Sahib worshiped Durga ( Gurbilas, Sukha Singh) and performed Jhatka ( Panth Parkash, Rattan Bhangu). But relying on Gurbani intuitively ( bibek budhi) and oral traditions for verification we know this written history is false. We know through these methods that Guru Sahib was against worshipping of Gods and performance of Hindu Rituals. Even our nitnem we get from oral tradition there are no historical books that tell us what the daily nitnem is for Khalsa instead we just rely on Gurmat- Bibek and oral traditions.

I know that oral traditions often contradict one another the way written records can contradict one another, but at the end I think intuition has to play a role in which historical version you want to accept. Gurmat intuition should supersede logical inferences based on written records. I personally feel more comfortable with the Cobra story even though I feel nothing is wrong with the shaded tree version.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login