ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hunting

Posted by singh11000 
Hunting
December 03, 2017 01:24AM
Vjkkvjkf. I am planning to go the army and might be put in a survival situation where i need to hunt animals to eat. Is this parvan according to sikhi?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Hunting
December 06, 2017 08:44AM
Why would you put yourself in that situation in the first place?
In Sikhi there is daya/compassion and love for all living things.
Remember, if in this life form you decide to do such a thing just for the sake of earning a decent income and serving your country, then in the next janams you will have to pay back and be punished for all those innocent animals you slaughtered!
The punishment will be unbearable, horrendous and impossible to endure!
Guru Sahib will never forgive you and don't think that being in the army is an exemption for you to take innocent lives!
So the choice is yours.
Door # 1:
Get out of the situation and not have to pay the price in next janams for slaughtering innocent animals

Door # 2:
Go ahead and take the leap and go through an endless cycle of painful and unbearable punishment. You might also have to be slaughtered in the same way as well by being born as those animals.
December 07, 2017 06:51AM
I'm not exactly against meat completely, I hold the Taksali view on meat, and that's only in life-death situations. That said, usually most of the time hunters usually don't have the animals best interests at heart and there is a punishment for everything, and usually all things must go somewhere, (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji himself took the pain to save Makhan Shah Lubana.) Also when we compare what we are doing, we should naturally want to be the best version of ourselves we can be. So even if I believe that meat should only be a last resort, debts still have to be paid, one way or another.
December 07, 2017 11:00AM
This seems like a rhetorical question. Which government in the free world forces you to change their beliefs in order to serve in the army. Even India does not have such a policy.

In any case, we live in the modern world which survival situation are you referring to. Will you be in the jungle hunting and eating lions? Do what Baba Deep Singh Ji and other Singhs did carry kaley chholay. They are a good source of protein and they satisfy your appetite for long periods.
December 10, 2017 02:40AM
singh11000 - you basically know the answer to your question yourself. Having doubts is a strong indicator that is not the best option for you. On the other hand - life is not always black and white or easy.
I suggest you take some time to meditate and solve this issue by listening to your gut instinct. Using the intellect to solve issues is a rather limited tool.
I am sorry you might have to compromise your career aspirations for ethical reasons - it is not easy to give up dreams.

Username - I think your reply in itself shows a bit of a lack of compassion ;-)
Do you seriously believe there is a way of ethical living that is always correct?
Sikhs pay tax and that money goes to the army, which apparently goes hunting. Will you go on the street and protest or just tell people on the internet that "Guru Sahib will never forgive you"?
The vast majority of Sikhs accept surgeries and medicines which would not exist without animal research. Just because you have not sacrificed the animals yourself, principally condemning such acts (I bet you do ;-)) but taking the benefits of it is called hypocrisy.

It is one thing to follow a certain Rehat Maryada and encourage others to do the same - it is another to play God and tell people what consequences their actions will have.
December 23, 2017 05:19AM
Joining the army is a massive mistake to begin with. They've always been supporting corruption and all you'll be doing is serving corruption. Your only purpose here is to do your sikhi and leave this world. If you eat meat, not only are you taking the life of an innocent animal but you would have to retake amrit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login