ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Books relating to Sikh History/ Gurmukh Pyareh

Posted by SinghFrmBham 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I thought a good thread would be everyone recommending books in relation to sikh history and gurmukh pyareh of the past.

This could be relating to during guru maharaj ji's time (i.e. Bhai Vir Singh Ji's Chamatkar), history after this time or relating to gurmukh pyareh mahapurakh (i.e. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji's books or Se Kanehiya).

Please recommend books. It will help expand the knowledge of our history and experiences of past gurmukhs to the readers of the forum.

Links to e-books or where the books can be obtained would be great as well.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The best book about Gurmukh Jot Vigasi Pyaare during Guru Sahibs times is Sikhi Da Bhagat Mala written by Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji. Talwara Ji has written books about the Gurmukh lifestyle of Bhai Lehna Ji, and Baba Amar Das JI. If you are from Birmingham you can probably get all these books from DFT bookstore at Soho Road.

In our modern times the best book about Jot Vigasi Gurmukhs are Rangley Sajjan ( Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji) and biographies of Bhai Sahib such as Jail Chittian, Simrithi Granth ( jaitegh singh) and Sohan Chirhee Chree Gain by Bhai Jodh Singh Ji you can probably get all these books from Singh Sabha Gurdwara in Coventry.
Thank you for sharing Suthra Veer Ji.

I've not heard of Sohan Chirhee Chree Gain. Could you give a description of the book?

Thanks Ji.
This book is written from Bhai Jodh Singh Ji ( Delhi) he had Sangat of Bhai sahib and early jatha singhs and has written about those times. As the jatha has expanded you will notice some stark differences from those times and today. One example is how bibek was practiced. Bhai sahib talks about this in his book along with rainsubaee experiences, treatment of Sangat etc
This book is written from Bhai Jodh Singh Ji ( Delhi) he had Sangat of Bhai sahib and early jatha singhs and has written about those times. As the jatha has expanded you will notice some stark differences from those times and today. One example is how bibek was practiced. Bhai sahib talks about this in his book along with rainsubaee experiences, treatment/pyaar of Sangat etc.
Suthra Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This book is written from Bhai Jodh Singh Ji (
> Delhi) he had Sangat of Bhai sahib and early jatha
> singhs and has written about those times. As the
> jatha has expanded you will notice some stark
> differences from those times and today. One
> example is how bibek was practiced. Bhai sahib
> talks about this in his book along with rainsubaee
> experiences, treatment of Sangat etc

How was bibek practiced then? Please enlighten us jeeo.
read the book Jeeo you will find the information you are seeking.
Suthra Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> read the book Jeeo you will find the information
> you are seeking.

I have read it and I cannot find anything regarding what you stated.
One example is liquid beverages.

There are stories that mention how Singhs use to get natural water from wells, and running water such as fountains. There is one funny story about when the Singhs were going to Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib ( located in Hilly area) they wanted to stop by a fountain to get some water. This fountain was on the way to there destination. One of the Singhs told the driver to stop and with anger he replied " Im not going to stop I need to be in Shimla at a certain time". Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh JI was listening to this conversation and as soon as the car went close to the fountain ( water running down a hill) the car broke down ( haha) .

Family members told me how Singhs still kept this rehat of only drinking natural beverages after Bhai Sahib. They mentioned how some serious bibeki Singhs would travel for long periods untill they got running water or water from a well. Some Nihangs still keep this rehat as well. As the Jatha have expanded and moved to big cities there have been many alterations to the rehat practiced back then. Not saying its a good thing or bad thing just saying its a fact.

While its hard to keep such rehat in modern times I think we can at lease make efforts to avoid processed beverages like bottled water ( which adds minerals) and processed Milk ( which in some cases add fish oils) . I dont think those Singhs would think buying processed beverages such as water, milk, and orange juice from the store would be accepted as Bibek even if its placed in a bata.

This is just one example. There are specific stories that we can read and derive how Bhai Sahib would keep rehat as well. I dont want to spoil these stories for the Veer Ji who originally posted.
After reading this topic somebody messaged me asking if drinking milk is ok if they have Health problems.

Sorry if my previous post may have been misleading. I simply meant to say that Bibek was practiced differently back then it wasnt so open and at the same time not to rigid. When I said we should avoid processed beverages I was referring to serious Bibekees who dont have health concerns.In his book, Bhai Jodh Singh once had doubt. He was a Bibeki Singh who do Panj Pyaare seva but at times when he didnt have access to fresh milk he would get the stale milk . He once asked Bhai Sahib if it was ok to drink stale milk , and Bhai Sahib lovingly replied faith is about intention. Bhai Jodh Singh goes on to mention that if a person is to consume food or beverages with greed in their mind including bibeki milk than thats a sin , but a humble person who prepares food from his honest earnings then such food is accepted.

When I meant processed beverages should be avoided I was generally referring to healthy people who can live without them. I definitely wouldnt recommend young children or mid age women (who are susceptible to osteoporosis) to avoid Milk but they should make sure there is no fish oils added when consuming processed milk. If our bones are broken due to a lack of calcium then it will be hard to engage in Bhagti . Sikhi is not so black and white it is ultimately about Naam Jaap and our intentions to follow Sikhi accordingly. The book has many great details about Sikhi, Bibek, and other Gurmat related aspects. I recommend all people interested to read it and they can derive their own conclusions.
There is a new book recently that came out about Shaheed Bhai Fauja Singh Ji. This is a very good book as well. Bhai Sahib lived and died the life of a Khalsa. You can probably get the book at the next UK smagam.

Here is a good documentary about Bhai sahib
[www.youtube.com]
Thank you Suthra Veer Ji.

Please do share more veechar from Bhai Jodh Singh Jis book. Gurmukh who are unable to attain the book can get the understanding of Bhai Sahib Ji' s times from a Gurmukh of that time.

Benti to gurmukh pyareh on the forum to share further books as well.
Veer Ji perhaps you can go to Singh Sabha Coventry and ask . If they dont have it perhaps Bhai Joga Singh may know where to get it from.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login