ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

few more questions on Guru Sahib "masculinizing" certain terms

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
Pyaareyo

First question: Does Kaur mean prince or princess? If it means "prince", why did Guru Sahib choose a "seemingly masculine" surname for Sikh women? If it means "princess", why did He not choose something that means "lioness", since men were given "Singh" as surname and it means "lion".

Second question: Why did Guru Sahib "masculinify" Holi to Hola, ਮੁਛਾਂ to ਮੁਛਹਿਰਾ ( i.e. moustache), ਦਾੜ੍ਹੀ to ਦਾੜ੍ਹਾ (beard), ਦੇਗ to ਦੇਗਾ, ਤੇਗ to ਤੇਗਾ, ਬਰਛੀ to ਬਰਛਾ, ਕਟਾਰ to ਕਟਾਰਾ, ਢਾਲ to ਢਾਲਾ, ਕੜਛੀ to ਕੜਛਾ, etc.?

Again, I am asking these NOT to debate, NOT to cause doubt, but with the intention of having us brainstorm the history and logic behind this transformation.

These questions can and will be thrown at us at some point (no I am NOT playing devil's advocate either, lol) by non-Sikhs, especially those out to convert gullible youths. Better we draft responses beforehand.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Language is one of the ways for a growing community to mark its distinct character and distinguish itself from others. Gargajj bolay were used for this very purpose not just to have a code language. These words became part of everyday language of Sikhs and provide a glimpse of with what strength and boldness they faced hardships. For example, killing a Mughal was considered as easy as farting (effortless) whereas for others, Mughals were considered invincible. Whereas others feared Qazis and Nawabs, Sikhs considered them no stronger than rooster and a donkey.

All the words you mentioned were given masculine forms to express prowess, strength, and distinction of Khalsa from other communities. So the intent was not to show inferiority of feminine words but changing them to distinguish the Sikh nation as a separate community. If this had not been the case, we would not find these words in their original form in Gurbani and Dasam Granth.
Thanks Veerji.

And what about Kaur?
First question: Does Kaur mean prince or princess? If it means "prince", why did Guru Sahib choose a "seemingly masculine" surname for Sikh women? If it means "princess", why did He not choose something that means "lioness", since men were given "Singh" as surname and it means "lion".

KAUR means prince.
Guru Sahib knows why this word was used. But I do think, this word strongly expresses His affection and love for His sikh women-children.
Why not lioness?........Because Guru Sahib probably wants us to think beyond gender connotations. For Guru Sahib, we are all sikhs, not sikh/sikhni gender things

Second question: Why did Guru Sahib "masculinify" Holi to Hola, ਮੁਛਾਂ to ਮੁਛਹਿਰਾ ( i.e. moustache), ਦਾੜ੍ਹੀ to ਦਾੜ੍ਹਾ (beard), ਦੇਗ to ਦੇਗਾ, ਤੇਗ to ਤੇਗਾ, ਬਰਛੀ to ਬਰਛਾ, ਕਟਾਰ to ਕਟਾਰਾ, ਢਾਲ to ਢਾਲਾ, ਕੜਛੀ to ਕੜਛਾ, etc.?

HOLA is said to be not linked with HOLI. It carries its own meaning.
All other words are probably related with "KHALSA BOLE". A bigger/larger impression is derived/linked with these words. More of CHARDI KALA.
Thank you Veerji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login