ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bani abhyaas during naam japna?

Posted by kojak kaur 
Vaheugru Ji.

I've been told that reciting a bani while doing simran helps the mind focus on naam (so, if mind isn't going to focus on naam, might as well recite bani while jupping naam) So I started reciting sukhmani sahib during naam simran in amritvela and while keeping track of pangtis, pauris, and astpadis, I felt I wasn't able to enjoy the naam ras. I'd stop in between astpadis to enjoy the naam ras and when mind wandered, I'd start back where I left off in Sukhmani Sahib.

SO my question is: by reciting bani during naam abhyaas, am I inhibiting myself from feeling/enjoying the naam ras, or is the bani recitation allowing me to feel the naam ras? And was the initial advice correct that reciting bani while jupping naam helps the naam simran?

sorry for any confusion
bhul chuk maaf

kk
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I used to recite Anand Sahib in my mind. I also noticed this same problem. I had to put too much effort into keeping my place in the bani to complete it correctly. This extra effort used to frustrate me so I eventually just gave up on it. It is probably because my surti is not strong enough to do this kind of stuff.

So instead of that, I just go through random shabads that I have memorized or whatever bani line appeals to me. This doesn't take as much mental effort so I don't get frustrated and I am still doing abhiaas of bani and naam together. I am sure that other people also do this. I will continue with it until maybe one day I'll be capable of reciting whole bani completely. But in the beginning, I think it's better to not have a strict method of reciting bani with naam.
Try gurbani at baikhri & gurmat naam at pashanti .

Chota veer
SinghAbb veer ji, I agree. that's what I've resulted to doing now, and with Guru Sahib's Kirpa, naam simran seems more fruitful now with more concentration.

Chotay veer ji, can you please elaborate on those two terms: Baikhri and Pashanti. I'm sorry, I'm not aware of their meanings.

bhul chuk maaf

kk
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

A senior Gursikh here advised that the relationship of Naam and Bani are inseparable. When one does Naam Simran, the mind may decide to wander. To keep that under control, he advised that recitation of a pangti in your mind related to Naam Simran and encouraging to continue on with Naam Simran will do two things: One, it will give the mind something to do while you are doing Simran and prevent wandering and two it will further drive Naam Simran to be done, as the pangti will provide the motivation to continue with Simran and provide encouragement.

He also stated that the reverse is true: That when one is listening to Gurbani (and reading, though that may be difficult unless one is a proficient, fluent reader of Gurbani), Simran should be done within your mind for the same reason. The mind may decide to wander, and giving it a task will restrain its wandering and also allow fulfilling hukam of Naam Simran at all times and drive the ras of Gurbani along with the ras of Naam Simran.

There are those Gursikhs who have lots of practice and prem that they can do Gurbani recitation and Naam Simran together - another Gursikh advised that this is not a beginner stage - Gurprasad and abhiaas is required. He referenced a Bibi who did many hours of Gurbani recitation - when he asked when she does all of that Gurbani recitation, she told him confidentially that she has been blessed with the ability to recite Gurbani and internally do Naam Simran at the same time.
Dhan Vahiguroo Jio atey Guru Pyareo Jio,
Kojak Kaur Jio,
please watch video, within is explanation to the two words you asked meanings of, and I had a good laugh, as I too did not, to calm my restless mind:

[youtu.be]

a TRUE GOLDMIND GEM GURMUKH JIO, VAHIGUROO RAKHA, so all world could benefit from His videossmiling smiley
Dhan dhan dhan dhan dhan Vahiguroo Jio_/\_
Baikhri & Pashanti .

May be first word is for 'by tongue' and second for 'by hirda' (heart?)
From what I have heard:

1. Baikri - When one recites naam with javan(tongue), hout(lips), khaieyal(thoughts).

2. Madhma - When one recites naam in Kant(throat).

3. Pasanti - When one recites naam in hirda(heart).

4. Para - When one recites naam in Nabhi(Navel)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login