ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Social Reform

Posted by Sidak Kaur 
Social Reform
February 26, 2017 03:28PM
Many Sikhs, particularly the young generation, nowadays are concerned about bringing social change. Sikhs are involved in different humanitarian organizations to help bring change in the world. I also used to get depressed thinking about worldly problems, injustice, and inequities prior to taking Amrit. I wanted to work in the policy and political field to bring change. It was disturbing to see how policies are developed to benefit corporations and politicians, and how corporations benefit from injustice and poverty. At the end, I just learned working in this field would be like banging head against a brick wall. This world is hopeless. So, what do we do? Can humanitarian organizations or policy level work ever succeed to bring societal change? Do they attempt continuously and fruitlessly to accomplish social reform?

In the Gurmat Parkash book, Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji writes that there have been many organizations that were developed to reform societies. However, their accomplishments have been very limited. He states that without parmarth (spirituality), social reform is futile. Many people have a desire to make social changes; nonetheless, their desire develops from humai (haumYy) and ends in humai. Bhai Sahib asks without making changes within oneself and eradicating humai, how could a worldly person make changes outside in a society? According to him, social workers and national reformers will work until their humai gets fed through societal praises and respect. Once they stop getting attention, their dream of social reform disappears.

Bhai Sahib Ji shares that Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, our true doctor, came to this diseased world with the naam medicine from Dargah. Those who killed their humai with naam, became true parupkari. Guru Nanak Dev ji’s sevak do nishkam seva in Guru Sahib’s hukam, and they do seva in pyar, and in humility. They are unconcerned about societal praises and attention. All upkari warriors in the Guru Panth were absorbed in naam. Without naam, one can never be selfless and do nishkam seva of a society. Only by following the steps of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj, true reform could occur.

ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਭਿ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹਹਿ, ਜੋ ਬੋਲਿਹ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਸਾਤੇ॥੧੬॥

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj gave us naam to save us from worldly fire. Guru Sahib Ji already showed us the perfect way to bring social reform through naam. But, we have lost ourselves. We have forgotten naam. Many social problems like caste discrimination, poverty, dowry, gender inequality, violence against women, corruption, etc., could only be eliminated if we all follow Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s sacha sucha path. We need naam abhiyasi Gursikhs to lead.

ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਰਮੁ॥੮॥੩॥
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Social Reform
February 26, 2017 06:10PM
Vahiguroo Jio,
so true, and the recent videos by Gurmukhos of this website, is like looking at Guru Maharaj Himself in dhan dhan dhan Gurmukhos Jio_/\_
Thus, I share this Naam Jorr Bani that should be embroided on Khalsa Flag and hung in visible view in every home atey Gurduara_/\_
lakh khusee-aa paatisaahee-aa jay satgur nadar karay-i

isrIrwgu mhlw(44-4)
sireeraag mehlaa 5
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl

sBy Qok prwpqy jy AwvY ieku hiQ ]
sabhay thok paraapatay jay aavai ik hath.
All things are received if the One is obtained.

jnmu pdwrQu sPlu hY jy scw sbdu kiQ ]
janam padaarath safal hai jay sachaa sabad kath.
The precious gift of this human life becomes fruitful when one chants the True Word of the Shabad.

gur qy mhlu prwpqy ijsu iliKAw hovY miQ ]1]
gur tay mahal paraapatay jis likhi-aa hovai math. ||1||
One who has such destiny written on his forehead enters the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, through the Guru. ||1||

myry mn eyks isau icqu lwie ]
mayray man aykas si-o chit laa-ay.
O my mind, focus your consciousness on the One.

eyks ibnu sB DMDu hY sB imiQAw mohu mwie ]1] rhwau ]
aykas bin sabh DhanDh hai sabh mithi-aa moh maa-ay. ||1|| rahaa-o.
Without the One, all entanglements are worthless; emotional attachment to Maya is totally false. ||1||Pause||

lK KusIAw pwiqswhIAw jy siqguru ndir kryie ]
lakh khusee-aa paatisaahee-aa jay satgur nadar karay-i.
Hundreds of thousands of princely pleasures are enjoyed, if the True Guru bestows His Glance of Grace.

inmK eyk hir nwmu dyie myrw mnu qnu sIqlu hoie ]
nimakh ayk har naam day-ay mayraa man tan seetal ho-ay.
If He bestows the Name of the Lord, for even a moment, my mind and body are cooled and soothed.

ijs kau pUrib iliKAw iqin siqgur crn ghy ]2]
jis ka-o poorab likhi-aa tin satgur charan gahay. ||2||
Those who have such pre-ordained destiny hold tight to the Feet of the True Guru. ||2||

sPl mUrqu sPlw GVI ijqu scy nwil ipAwru ]
safal moorat saflaa gharhee jit sachay naal pi-aar.
Fruitful is that moment, and fruitful is that time, when one is in love with the True Lord.

dUKu sMqwpu n lgeI ijsu hir kw nwmu ADwru ]
dookh santaap na lag-ee jis har kaa naam aDhaar.
Suffering and sorrow do not touch those who have the Support of the Name of the Lord.

bwh pkiV guir kwiFAw soeI auqirAw pwir ]3]
baah pakarh gur kaadhi-aa so-ee utri-aa paar. ||3||
Grasping him by the arm, the Guru lifts them up and out, and carries them across to the other side. ||3||

Qwnu suhwvw pivqu hY ijQY sMq sBw ]
thaan suhaavaa pavit hai jithai sant sabhaa.
Embellished and immaculate is that place where the Saints gather together.

FoeI iqs hI no imlY ijin pUrw gurU lBw ]
dho-ee tis hee no milai jin pooraa guroo labhaa.
He alone finds shelter, who has met the Perfect Guru.

nwnk bDw Gru qhW ijQY imrqu n jnmu jrw ]4]6]76]
naanak baDhaa ghar tahaaN jithai mirat na janam jaraa. ||4||6||76||
Nanak builds his house upon that site where there is no death, no birth, and no old age. ||4||6||76||
Vaho Vaho Guru Granth Sahib Jio!_/\_
February 27, 2017 12:27PM
bhul chuk muaf Vahiguroo Jio_/\_my mona westernised and not too favorite biological veerji is NEVER LACKING IN ANYTHING, INCLUDING CHARDHI KALA SPIRITS, SINCE VAHO BANI ON FLAG (FOR VEHICLE ACTUALLY), ON KITCHEN DOOR Jio_/\_
so i embroidered my own identical flag in my home, and Dhan Dhan Guru Granth Sahib Jio, and with Gurmukhos videos added on your message boards recently, I feel like I have reached Guru Pita Maharaj Jio Paviterr Charna in Sachkhand!smiling smiley_/\_, though I am in kalyug chau gird environment
March 01, 2017 11:00AM
bhul chuk muaf Vahiguroo Jio,
to what I am about to post..
to explain why I mentioned biological, as being a amritdhari, I considered other amritdharis as my family, but like my worldly biological siblings(who label me Taliban due to my dastaar), I am shunned because I have no wealthy or status..all world bows down to rss atey maya...totally brainwashed...a local amritdhari tells me his car has no space for me but invites totally maya drowned wealthy sikh to join him and family to hour and half away gurduara daily?
Due to weak rehit, trying to survive in overpowering maya hungry world, I sometimes feel, even Guru Maharaj has left us who try to please him as Bhai Bapu Surat Singh Jio, soormay Singho in prisons..et al
So my appeal to Gurmukho Singh soormey on this website, murjhey naal na lujiyeh Jio_/\_, we amritdhari akj Sikhs are referred to as pappey by what I thought gursikh family, due to one member being amritdhari, but their minds apparently sold to maya jio_/\_
March 03, 2017 08:42PM
Vahiguroo Jio Guru Nanak Jio kirpa so all egotists wealthy, white supremacists, isis, et al unite in VAHO VAHO DASTAAR OF GURU GOBIND SINGH PITA MAHARAJ JIO_/\_as Norwegian Turban Day in delight and happiness...a good new beginning for KHALSA (PURE LOVING HEARTS) RAJ IN GURSIKHI!

[youtu.be]

bhul chuk muaf
March 04, 2017 05:25AM
Bhai Sahib Ji shares that Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, our true doctor, came to this diseased world with the naam medicine from Dargah. Those who killed their humai with naam, became true parupkari. Guru Nanak Dev ji’s sevak do nishkam seva in Guru Sahib’s hukam, and they do seva in pyar, and in humility. They are unconcerned about societal praises and attention. All upkari warriors in the Guru Panth were absorbed in naam. Without naam, one can never be selfless and do nishkam seva of a society. Only by following the steps of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj, true reform could occur.

ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਭਿ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹਹਿ, ਜੋ ਬੋਲਿਹ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਸਾਤੇ॥੧੬॥

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj gave us naam to save us from worldly fire. Guru Sahib Ji already showed us the perfect way to bring social reform through naam. But, we have lost ourselves. We have forgotten naam. Many social problems like caste discrimination, poverty, dowry, gender inequality, violence against women, corruption, etc., could only be eliminated if we all follow Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s sacha sucha path. We need naam abhiyasi Gursikhs to lead.

Best article so far on this site, how to be A true gursikh, gurmukh. Naam,, Naam.--job prab ko.........khoj shabad me leh!
Guru Gobind singh Jee said to Sikhs you can see me in the mirror....means if your soul becomes so pure & have reached at that stage with NAAM ....your qualities are so pure that difference between .....apey Gur chela....... But to reach there MAIN component is Naam. NAAM.

THE VESSEL INNER SELF HAS TO BE PURE. REHAT-CODE OF CONDUCT---PURE THOUGHTS. PURE EYES-look everyone with respect, PURE DOING.

IF GOD IS PURE THAN TO MERGE INTO GOD, ONE NEED TO BE PURE.

WHAT HAPPENS WITH NAAM HAR DARSHAN----SO HAR DARHSAN SHANT SHARIR. COOLS YOU DOWN ..LESS HUMAI

GODS FRAGRANCE WILL PERMEATE YOU.

SO AS GURU ARJUN DEV JI SAID IN GRANTH SAHIB JI GOD IS LIGHT, BEAUTIFUL, FULL OF FRAGRANCE. RAB RAKHA. lowly das.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login