ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Daswandh

Posted by SinghAbb 
Daswandh
January 28, 2016 11:26PM
I have been told that Daswandh should be given to the Khalsa Panth only and other donations can be given anywhere. Can someone expand on this and explain it some more?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Daswandh
March 01, 2016 11:40AM
Dasvand is for the Khalsa Panth only and is not to be given to other charities. In Rehitname it comes as "Dasvand Guru Neh Devaee Jhooth Bol Jo Kahe, Kahai Gobind Singh Lal Jee Tis Ka Kachh Na Visah"

This is a direct Hukam that Dasvand must be given to Guru Sahib only. This means that Dasvand is for Guru Panth and Guru Granth only. Dasvand should be used for the Parchaar of Khalsa Panth.

If someone wants to make donations to other charities that is fine but it would have to be separate than your Dasvand.

Preetam Singh
March 01, 2016 03:59PM
Oh no! This is the first time I am hearing that Dasvand has to go to Khalsa Panth only!

What should I do? I have been giving it to Red Cross for last year and I have been Amritshak for like 3 years now.

Please help me!
March 01, 2016 05:50PM
As Preetam Singh has written above, Daswandh can be given to Khalsa Panth alone, or used for the Chardi Kala of Panth. Giving to Red Cross or other charities, should be done part of your Daan, which would be over and above your Daswandh.

Kulbir Singh
March 01, 2016 06:26PM
Kharak Singh, it is not a big deal that you have been giving to Red Cross for the last three years because you did so unknowingly, now that you know that Dasvand should be given only to the Panth, you should immediately start giving it to the Panth instead of Red Cross or other charities. Guru Sahib is Bakhshanhaar.
March 01, 2016 07:59PM

Kharak Singh, it is not a big deal that you have been giving to Red Cross for the last three years because you did so unknowingly, now that you know that Dasvand should be given only to the Panth, you should immediately start giving it to the Panth instead of Red Cross or other charities. Guru Sahib is Bakhshanhaar.

Dasvandh is a Farz i.e. it's mandatory. If one has not given Dasvandh to Khalsa Panth, and has been giving it to Christians or Secular organizations like Red Cross, that constitutes as Dasvandh not given; therefore, all previously skipped amount should be taken out and given to Khalsa Panth. If there is a financial constraint, then one should seek Hukam from Punj Pyaare and see if they can pardon it or give time to take it out but if you can, then it must be re-given.

Just like Dasvandh, Punj Baaniyaan too are a Farz i.e. one can't be excused for not doing them. One has to make up all previously skipped Nitnems, in case one misses them. Same way, as per my meagre understanding, Dasvandh if missed in the past, must be calculated and given out. This Daas witnessed such an instance about 16-17 years ago while doing Seva in Punj. A person had not been giving Dasvandh for long time. The Punj at that time, had him calculate all previous Dasvandh and took promise from him to pay to Khalsa Panth, before continuing his Peshi. Gurmukhs like Bhai Sahib Jagtar Singh were doing Seva in Punj at that time.

Rest Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
March 02, 2016 01:15PM
I understand your point Bhai Kulbir Singh, but to me it seems that if it was done unknowingly then it was not a big offence, if he had knowingly given Dasvand to other organizations then he should be asked to give all previous Dasvand back to Panth. Same way in most situations if a mistake is done on accident, usually the punishment is not the same as if that mistake was done on purpose. Anyways, nothing negative can come out of giving previous amounts of Dasvand, only Bhalla will happen. Rest as you have said Guru Sahib knows better. Bhul Chuk Maaf.
March 02, 2016 08:11PM

I understand your point Bhai Kulbir Singh, but to me it seems that if it was done unknowingly then it was not a big offence, if he had knowingly given Dasvand to other organizations then he should be asked to give all previous Dasvand back to Panth.

I agree it's not a big offense if it's done unknowingly but still the mistake has to be rectified. Some things are such that you can't fix them i.e. they are not reversible e.g. Bajjar Kurehits and removing Kakaars but then there are some violations of Rehits that you can fix e.g. if you miss your Nitnem, or don't give out Dasvandh to Khalsa Panth or for Chardi Kala of Khalsa Panth, then such Rehit violations should be rectified. As an example if a Gursikh accidentally had been doing the other Savaiye (Deenan kee Pratpaal..., and this actually happened with a Gursikh), then the way to fix this mistake is that one has to do all previously missed Savaiye to fulfill the Hukam of Nitnem. Such person just can't be excused for not doing the correct Savaiye (Sraavag Sudh...) and must make up for all missed Savaiye.

Same way, if Dasvandh was not taken out or not given to Khalsa Panth, then it should be taken out and given to Khalsa Panth or for Chardi Kala of Khalsa Panth. In any case, as I wrote before, if in doubt, then one should take such case to the Punj Pyaare and let them decide. If the Punj want to take it upon themselves, and pardon the person for not giving out Dasvandh, then it's their prerogative.

Same way in most situations if a mistake is done on accident, usually the punishment is not the same as if that mistake was done on purpose.

To ask the seeker to give out previously missed Dasvandh is not a punishment but simply asking that person to fulfill the Hukam the person had been given when that person took Amrit. If the person had missed giving Dasvandh knowingly and intentionally, then that person would be given Tankhah in addition to asking him or her to pay missed Dasvandh.

Kulbir Singh
March 03, 2016 09:35AM
I agree with Bhai Kulbir Singh,

The Dasvand would have to be calculated and taken out at the soonest time. Without taking out Dasvand it is Haram di Kamayee and not suitable for a Gursikh to use.

Even when we take out Dasvand regularly sometimes Gursikhs will calculate at year end to make sure that all the Dasvand has been taken out correctly and with the income tax return they also take out Dasvand from that.

This is something that should be done diligently and not just by rule of thumb.

Preetam Singh
March 03, 2016 10:41PM
Pls. let me know what does it mean by giving Dasvandh to Khalsa Panth ? Give some examples pls.

If we go by the above discussion it seems that whoever is giving out Dasvandh is not Dasvandh at all. Consider few examples listed below.

1. Sikh give Dasvandh to local Gurdwara Sahib Committee. Then committee buy groceries for everyday Langar. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari eat in Langar. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

2. Sikh give Dasvandh for School run by local Gurdwara Sahib Committee. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari children studies in school. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

3. Sikh give Dasvandh to Gurdwara Sahib Committee to help them buy Bus or Van. This Bus or Van is used to various purpose like for School Children pick & drop, taking Pilgrims to & fro from Railway Station to Gurdwara Sahib, Nagar Kirtan services etc etc ... Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari consumes this service. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

4. Sikh give Dasvandh to Hospital run by Gurdwara Sahib Committee. Take Pingalwada for example. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari gets treated there. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

5. Sikh give Dasvandh to help Gurdwara Sahib Committee build Yatri Nivaas. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari pilgrims are going to stay there. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

6. Let's say Sikh give Dasvandh to 1984 victims, mostly in the Delhi Sikh Widows Colony, who are Non-Amritdhari. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

7. Majority of the team members of 2020 referendum team are Non-Amritdhari who are working towards Sikh Sovereignity. Can the donation given to them be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

8. Sikh give Dasvandh to NGO working towards Sikh Prisoners who are jailed illegally and are rotting in prison. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari receive this help. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

These are just few of the examples. There could be many examples like this where the Dasvandh given will get consumed in the form of Product or Services by both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari together. Where is the line to be drawn ?

Is there any central organized system or bank account or an institution where Khalsa can give Dasvandh and it will be only used for welfare of Khalsa Panth. And what do we mean by welfare of Khalsa Panth and who is leading the welfare and where ?

PS : By Non-Amritdhari I mean Sehajdhari Sikhs and not folks from different religious background.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
March 04, 2016 12:33AM
What Is Khalsa panth , to whom one should give dasvandh.
If we give at gurudwara then it will be used for drinking and eating meat by organiser.
where one should give dasvandh.
Everybody facing this problem (Dasvandh should be given in proper hands)
pl. guide
March 04, 2016 10:42AM
Jaskirat Singh Jeeo,

I will attempt to address your points to the best of my knowledge.

1. Sikh give Dasvandh to local Gurdwara Sahib Committee. Then committee buy groceries for everyday Langar. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari eat in Langar. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

2. Sikh give Dasvandh for School run by local Gurdwara Sahib Committee. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari children studies in school. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

3. Sikh give Dasvandh to Gurdwara Sahib Committee to help them buy Bus or Van. This Bus or Van is used to various purpose like for School Children pick & drop, taking Pilgrims to & fro from Railway Station to Gurdwara Sahib, Nagar Kirtan services etc etc ... Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari consumes this service. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

4. Sikh give Dasvandh to Hospital run by Gurdwara Sahib Committee. Take Pingalwada for example. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari gets treated there. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

5. Sikh give Dasvandh to help Gurdwara Sahib Committee build Yatri Nivaas. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari pilgrims are going to stay there. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

6. Let's say Sikh give Dasvandh to 1984 victims, mostly in the Delhi Sikh Widows Colony, who are Non-Amritdhari. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

7. Majority of the team members of 2020 referendum team are Non-Amritdhari who are working towards Sikh Sovereignity. Can the donation given to them be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

8. Sikh give Dasvandh to NGO working towards Sikh Prisoners who are jailed illegally and are rotting in prison. Both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari receive this help. Can this be considered Dasvandh given to Khalsa Panth ?

These are just few of the examples. There could be many examples like this where the Dasvandh given will get consumed in the form of Product or Services by both Amritdhari and Non-Amritdhari together. Where is the line to be drawn ?

Is there any central organized system or bank account or an institution where Khalsa can give Dasvandh and it will be only used for welfare of Khalsa Panth. And what do we mean by welfare of Khalsa Panth and who is leading the welfare and where ?

PS : By Non-Amritdhari I mean Sehajdhari Sikhs and not folks from different religious background.

In my humble opinion Dasvand can be used for all of the above points because through these means we would be doing Parchaar of Khalsa Panth and Gurmat. The only discretion that I would advise is that we should be sure that the Dasvand we are giving will be used fully inline with Gurmat. For example, in your first point about Langar, if the Dasvand is being used to make Milgoba Langar where no Maryada is followed I do not see that being very productive and it is not a good use of Dasvand. Yes, if that same Dasvand is being used to make Guru Ka Langar by Guru Ke Sikh following Gurmat Bibek Maryada then that is a great use of Dasvand. Gurmat Schools, Gatka Schools, Transportation or other infrastructure for Gurdwara Sahib, Nivaas for Yartis are all great things to use Dasvand on because this would be directly doing Parchaar of Gurmat. The only discretion that I would propose is that the first requirement for a Gurdwara Sahib is for Guru Sahib's Parkaash to be done there. If there is Pad-ched Birh at that place and Parkaash of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee's Larivaar Saroop is not done then that place is not a Gurdwara Sahib, so I don't think that Dasvand should be given to such places. Parchaar should be done of Gurmat not of Manmat. Similarly if Gurmat Schools are being run by Rehitvaan Gurmukhs then even if there is not Parkaash there at all it is still a great place to be giving Dasvand. Most Gurdwara Sahib Committees are run by self interest driven individuals who are clearly not living their lives according to Gurmat. Dasvand should only be given to Khalsa Panth which means Amritdhari Rehitdhari Kharhagdhari Sarblohi Gurmukhs.

Anything less would just not give satisfaction.

Effort should be made to find the organizations which complete the above requirements. If unable to do so then you should try to use the Dasvand in a more local manner. Get together with a few like minded Gursikhs and pool your Dasvand together to complete Gurmat projects with your Dasvand. Some examples of this could be printing out Gurmat literature to distribute to Sangat at Nagar Keertans or Gurdwara Sahib functions. You could also use the Dasvand to start Gurmat and Gurmukhi classes locally.

Really it doesn't take a huge organization to make a change in the world. Grassroots movements make colossal changes and can sometimes lead to a greater affect than bigger organizations.

Preetam Singh
March 05, 2016 06:44AM
Bahut Bahut Dhanwaad Preetam Singh Jeeo for detailed reply. Whatever you say make sense.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
March 05, 2016 03:39PM
A gursikh once said that dasvandh can be used on yourself it's for the benefit of khalsa panth. Some examples they gave were getting horseback riding lessons, archery lessons, buying a bow and arrow, kirtan/tabla lessons as all of these would be in the purpose of being tyar bar tyar for khalsa panth or for doing seva of khalsa panth. Can sangat please share their views on this? Is this is okay?
March 05, 2016 07:05PM

A gursikh once said that dasvandh can be used on yourself it's for the benefit of khalsa panth. Some examples they gave were getting horseback riding lessons, archery lessons, buying a bow and arrow, kirtan/tabla lessons as all of these would be in the purpose of being tyar bar tyar for khalsa panth or for doing seva of khalsa panth. Can sangat please share their views on this? Is this is okay?

This is not an acceptable use of Dasvand. Anything that we do for ourselves has to be done out of our own money not out of the Dasvand portion. If you were to use Dasvand towards running a school where Keertan and Tabla is being taught and along with other Gursikhs, you too take lessons there, that is fine but to directly use it for your self is not in accordance with Gurmat.

Preetam Singh
March 13, 2016 04:54AM
What about spending it on the children. These days getting archery/horse riding classes or even music classes with a good ragi/teacher is not cheap. Our own children are also part of the khalsa family and if the daswandh money is spent on providing them with skills that help them in learning musical instruments for kirtan, learn our heritage skills in horse riding/archery etc will that not be considered right use of the money? I think guru sahib will be more happy seeing the money spent like that rather than going into golak and spent on lavish paneer makhani and 20 different variety of langars these days which don't feed the poor and aren't even guru ke langar.

Preetam Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A gursikh once said that dasvandh can be used on
> yourself it's for the benefit of khalsa panth.
> Some examples they gave were getting horseback
> riding lessons, archery lessons, buying a bow and
> arrow, kirtan/tabla lessons as all of these would
> be in the purpose of being tyar bar tyar for
> khalsa panth or for doing seva of khalsa panth.
> Can sangat please share their views on this? Is
> this is okay?
>
> This is not an acceptable use of Dasvand.
> Anything that we do for ourselves has to be done
> out of our own money not out of the Dasvand
> portion. If you were to use Dasvand towards
> running a school where Keertan and Tabla is being
> taught and along with other Gursikhs, you too take
> lessons there, that is fine but to directly use it
> for your self is not in accordance with Gurmat.
March 14, 2016 02:30PM
I guess really it depends on how you justify it.

What we have here is we always do Vichaar with all of the Singhs before deciding how to spend our collective Dasvand. So when it is done on a Sangat level there isn't really any problem with paying for lessons for the children to learn Gurmat things. I personally wouldn't be comfortable spending Dasvand on teaching my own children Archery or Horseback riding. It is best to pay for these things out of our own money rather than using Dasvand.

Preetam Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login