ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it wrong for me to do paath with quantity?

Posted by Lostsoul. 
waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh.

I have heard and read about sava lakh mul mantar gursikhs do and how I should do paath if I wants to change my life.
without getting into any detail, I just want to say i deftly need help. I have a lot of fear, self sabotizing, feeling of being a burden and useless. Eveyr morning I wake up about giving up this life But I will never do that. Paath does brings a hope within me but then when I hear people saying how it's wrong to do paath to get things. We should only do paath out of love and i do love gurbani. But I am not at that point of my life where I can just pretend my life is great and do paath without expecting waheguru to help me fixing my life. I dont ask for anything for myself, just wants mom dad to be proud of myself and wants to do everything so they can have a peceful life and also wants to help many others too. I agree some people strive for money, I want everyone to be proud of me and think I can help them, I know thats my ego and I am not at the point to give up. I just want to feel used than being a burden on this planet, wants a contribution in this society.

I have heard many katha where it is said that if a person does a lot of paath his or her life starts changing. I do paath but not a lot of it.
So I guess my question is.. is that wrong for me if I make a goal that I want to do japji sahib for 40 days and before 40 days I want to reach a certain number of paaths.

or
what can i do to help myself? This fear and self sabotizing demon eats me every single moment.

I am a 26 years old woman, I have a huge fear of driving and I live in USA where without my license I am a handicap.
I have a very low self confidence and I think I can't get a job so I am so scared for that.
I want to get into a master program for biomedical Engg but I see very less chances. I can only apply to one university since My parents won't let me go anywhere else.
I have a strict family whihc does not helps either.
Its my marriage age and always thought waheguru will send him and he will help me with my fears but did not happened. I gave up a hope for having a companion.I never searched a guy for myself because I want to remain pure befor marriage and my condition is too much to ask for.
I want to do paath out of love than doing it so waheguru can help me but I am not there yet.
I know my life is not very horrible, but from my point of view I want to help myself but I fail every single day.
I have been trying to conquer my driving fear since I was 19..and and fter 7 years I could not, thats a major failure.
I want to help mom dad financially but Failed at it too.
I always thought I would help so many people by becoming something but failed at it too.I know I have a whole life to help others but first I have to help myself.
I might have been a really horrible person in my past life, but i heard in katha that we can only do paath and simran based on our karma. and people who were horrible they don't get into spirituality that soon.
I know i have a sharda to do paath and spend most of my time listening to kirtan but deep down i always wonder why my life is not changing.
I do want help, if not from waheguru atleast from a mahapurkh who can guide me. I am ready to give up anything to make mom dad proud of me.
I know sikhism does says that we should just do kirat and not worry about fruits. and I am not asking for delicious fruits, I just want to have a normal life, I am careless about the whole world judging me. It just hurts when I see my parents judging me. I am not saying they are not proud of me, They are. They do think they have a good daughter who is into paath than partying.
I am sorry about venting, I just got into the moment.
Can anybody here help me? I am sure there might be many mahapurkhs here to help lost people like me.
please guide me and explain me how I can be a better person .

Thank you so much and I am sorry if topics like this are not allowed to be posted here.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
There is nothing wrong to set a goal per day for doing Sri Japjee Sahib or any other paath. More Gurbani we read, more laha we get. After all Gurbani is Guru, if we listen more to our Guru then we can't be at loss.

Just keep caution though, when you recite Gurbani make sure you listen too. If you find that mind ran away and paath reaches to end then skip backward where you had last listened the paath. Keep your mind engaged, see fruit yourself.

Also there is nothing wrong to ask to Guru Sahib for wordly things. After all Guru Sahib is father and Guru Sahib is our mother, as child ask to his/her parent without hesitation then what stop us asking our Gurdev Pita.

Nisang Ho kay Baani Pado Jee. No need to look here are there.
Agreed with Bhai Jagjit Singh jee. If you read about Bhai Randhir Singh jee, they started doing paath for the first time in their life just becuse their father told them that it would help them pass their exams. Although they had started out doing it for personal worldly purposes, it very quickly changed their life. Not only that, but they reached such high levels of spirituality that they changed the lives of everyone who came in contact with them as well.

Gurbani can solve any probelm. Also, counting paaths and making goals is a tried and tested strategy that is used by bhagats to increase their spiritual earnings. Its a very good idea to make a goal to do a certain number of paaths within a time period. Gursikhs have been doing this for ages. I was surprised to learn a while ago that my grandfather used to do this when he was younger and experienced many spiritual experiences this way.

In addition to counting japji sahibs, it will benefit you to sukhmani sahib everyday too, as it one of the best paaths for sukh shanti.
VJKK VJKF -

Please check response below and feedback on how it goes:

Lostsoul. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh.
>
> I have heard and read about sava lakh mul mantar
> gursikhs do and how I should do paath if I wants
> to change my life.
> without getting into any detail, I just want to
> say i deftly need help. I have a lot of fear, self
> sabotizing, feeling of being a burden and useless.

wow - for you to be aware of the fear - first of all that is a gift jeeo - there are some in this world not aware of it and go on doing the same habitual thing without realizing.be grateful to vaheguru he has made you aware in the first instance. Feeling of burden and useless - maybe seva in your local gurdwara is missing in your life, try seva in langar or anywhere in some sort of form in the Gurdwara while doing naam in prem in your mind at the same time - see if it helps and feedback here if it does as it will benefit others.

> Eveyr morning I wake up about giving up this life

why - life is a gift so when you wake up thank vaheguru repeat dhan Guru Nanak dev Jee about 15-20 times before you do your nitenem.

> But I will never do that. Paath does brings a hope
> within me but then when I hear people saying how
> it's wrong to do paath to get things.

issue is the lord almighty gives anyway regardless of you doing path or not -- doesn't he -- after all your are alive and kicking -- he has given you precious life. There is nothing wrong in asking - or doing path for something - however keep in mind --and ask vaheguru to protect you from being addictied to whatever you are asking for too.

We should
> only do paath out of love and i do love gurbani.
> But I am not at that point of my life where I can
> just pretend my life is great and do paath without
> expecting waheguru to help me fixing my life. I
> dont ask for anything for myself, just wants mom
> dad to be proud of myself and wants to do
> everything so they can have a peceful life and
> also wants to help many others too. I agree some
> people strive for money, I want everyone to be
> proud of me and think I can help them, I know
> thats my ego and I am not at the point to give up.
> I just want to feel used than being a burden on
> this planet, wants a contribution in this
> society.

seva - charity runs, walks there are zillions of things you can do - there are tons of Sikh charities crying for help go for them.
>
> I have heard many katha where it is said that if
> a person does a lot of paath his or her life
> starts changing. I do paath but not a lot of it.
> So I guess my question is.. is that wrong for me
> if I make a goal that I want to do japji sahib for
> 40 days and before 40 days I want to reach a
> certain number of paaths.
>
nothing wrong at all - however - make it a goal to carry on regardless the goal.

> or
> what can i do to help myself? This fear and self
> sabotizing demon eats me every single moment.

pray to maharaja and beg for forgiveness and pray he has presented you with this fear and now ask for help to use it instead of being owned by it.

>
> I am a 26 years old woman, I have a huge fear of
> driving and I live in USA where without my license
> I am a handicap.
> I have a very low self confidence and I think I
> can't get a job so I am so scared for that.
> I want to get into a master program for
> biomedical Engg but I see very less chances. I can
> only apply to one university since My parents
> won't let me go anywhere else.
> I have a strict family whihc does not helps
> either.

issue is our beliefs and thoughts try to own us - but do they really when such self sabotage , fear thoughts come up as them the thought the following questions:

Who says this?
This question is directed to the thought form. Notice what happens when the thought form is asked this question. Often it fades back into the background because it does not want to be
detected. Its power is in its stealth.

What makes it so?
This question asks for grounding, actual evidence, and for an ungrounded assessment that has been running through the mind without verifi
cation. What you will discover is that many criticisms run through your mind that are not accurate. When they are challenged, they fade into the back ground — for awhile
What is your intent?
This is a powerful question to the sabotaging thought see if it can answer ?

> Its my marriage age and always thought waheguru
> will send him and he will help me with my fears
> but did not happened. I gave up a hope for having
> a companion.I never searched a guy for myself
> because I want to remain pure befor marriage and
> my condition is too much to ask for.
> I want to do paath out of love than doing it so
> waheguru can help me but I am not there yet.
> I know my life is not very horrible, but from my
> point of view I want to help myself but I fail
> every single day.
> I have been trying to conquer my driving fear
> since I was 19..and and after 7 years I could not,
> thats a major failure.

please seek out professionals or people who can help in this , without that it will not work - any goal in life needs some sort of sangat of the similar people heading for the same goal then that goal is realized much quicker. - -give that a go, if you already have try changing the sanagt see if that works.

> I want to help mom dad financially but Failed at
> it too.
> I always thought I would help so many people by
> becoming something but failed at it too.I know I
> have a whole life to help others but first I have
> to help myself.
> I might have been a really horrible person in my
> past life, but i heard in katha that we can only
> do paath and simran based on our karma. and people
> who were horrible they don't get into spirituality
> that soon.
> I know i have a sharda to do paath and spend most
> of my time listening to kirtan but deep down i
> always wonder why my life is not changing.
> I do want help, if not from waheguru atleast from
> a mahapurkh who can guide me. I am ready to give
> up anything to make mom dad proud of me.
> I know sikhism does says that we should just do
> kirat and not worry about fruits. and I am not
> asking for delicious fruits, I just want to have a
> normal life, I am careless about the whole world
> judging me. It just hurts when I see my parents
> judging me. I am not saying they are not proud of
> me, They are. They do think they have a good
> daughter who is into paath than partying.
> I am sorry about venting, I just got into the
> moment.

> Can anybody here help me? I am sure there might be
> many mahapurkhs here to help lost people like me.
>
> please guide me and explain me how I can be a
> better person .
>

you have to start somewhere - at some point and some simple goal first in achieving what you want and then go on from there step by step. Life is a chapter we have to make the most of what we can , of our time and contributions. We must seek consistency in something small first in order to go for further goals.

> Thank you so much and I am sorry if topics like
> this are not allowed to be posted here.

topic is valid enough and I think it is a lot more common out there in people of your age, what is need is further input to help you, I do hope there are further contributions here as above by Bhai Jasjit Singh and others.

please feedback on how it goes and keep at it.
Please set a goal & start reciting mool mantar & after a while it will automatic & you mind will start reciting mool mantar without you knowing. Kirpa will happen with God's grace. Also try to understand meaning of the path you are doing & slowly things will fall in its place. Than AJPA JAAP will start.....thanks.
I will agree with above writers: There is nothing wrong in setting goals. As you start doing Jap ji sahib after a while your mind will guided towards it & will focus in doing path. Kirpa will happen with God's grace. As far as impressing your parents or father, try to feel good about yourself. Its parents duty to help you & not the other way around. Believe in yourself, follow your goals & try to face your fears & get help if needed. Everyone has fears in life, its how they handle or face them matters. Be grateful for what you have & strive for more, there is nothing wrong in improving yourself. We all want to impress our parents & feel we failed them in some way. But love yourself first & than try to help others or look for their approval. I hope you succeed. BHUL CHUK MAAF.
Thank you Jasjit singh jee.. I will deftly put my focus while I do paath..

Thank you sk jee..I used to do sukhmani sahib and it did help a lot. I will try to keep doing sukhmani sahib too.

Thank you ns44 jee..I will keep that goal and keep doing paath. and you are right I think seva is missing in my life. I need to work on that to feel less of a burden.Seva will deftly help and I am sure some or other way I dcan help someone which will make me feel good about myself and happy.

Thank you sevak jee.. Now i think of it actually mool mantar does starts in my mind automaticlally sometime. When i wake up in the morning sometime i realize I am japping mool mantar inside. It is a wahegurus kirpa when i wake up doing mul mantar than all the problems in my head.

Thank you ekdaas jee...I will deftly set a goal to do more paath from now on and learn how to be more grateful.

To everybody..I have decided to do 7 paath of shri jaap sahib jee ( since i would like to kanth it) and 4 path of shri japjee sahib jee to make it total 11. I like this number for some odd reason. Goal is to do it everyday but in the beginning i would set a 40 days goal. For 40 days I would do 7 paath of shri jaap sahib jee and 4 path of shri japjee sahib jee by waheguru's kirpa.
I am not sure if that's possible or not but Can someone be my guide or a teacher to whom I can report I am doing my banis. If we have a teacher or guide, it helps a lot to stay on a goal.
OR is there any goal Forum where beginners like me can be students to report we are doing our banis.
My family is not into doing paath that much. Only my mom does paath in the morning and with babajee di kirpa i led her into it.
Many times I wished atleast one of my parents would have made me sit by her or him and they did paath. Instead of wasting my time on TV and other mundane things I would have spent it on paath would have been a better thing. But its okay baba jee did kirpa now but now my problem is I fail to fulfill my goal and give up on paath sometime and then it hurts me more.
So can someone or everybody here guide me? I am not a kid but I do need someone to make sure I am doing my banis. I would really appreciate it if I can get help.

Thank you so much Everybody. I am glad I found this site, I dont know who created it but Thank you so much for creating it. Many Lostsouls like me need it. T hank you.

waheguru jee tuhadey sareyan tey boht boht kirpa karan.
ਆਗਾਹਾ ਕੂ ਤ੍ਰਾਘਿ ਪਿਛਾ ਫੇਰਿ ਨ ਮੁਹਡੜਾ ॥ Look ahead; don't turn your face backwards.
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਿਝਿ ਇਵੇਹਾ ਵਾਰ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਹੋਵੀ ਜਨਮੜਾ ॥੧॥ O Nanak, be successful this time, and you shall not be reincarnated again. ||1||
Sometimes things in our past like memories of past vikaars and guilt over mistakes come and stop bhagti. This shouldn't happen. It is true that we feel guilt over those mistakes in our past, but that guilt must not stop us from doing bhagti. That's why we should do as Guru Jee says and not look back, to either what we used to be like before finding Sikhi, or to the mistakes that we have made in the past. We have to move on and do bhagti. We can never think that since we have failed, we should stop. We should also not think that we will be doing pakhand by making mistakes and doing bhagti as well. We are not perfect. Bhagti is also for those who want to stop making mistakes. So we have to look forward, not behind us and keep going.
Thank singhabb Jee for replying . You are right we should let go of past guilt and just do our best.
Setting the goal is best without goal we can not achieve any thing. I know some people who started like this and there number of paths per day are lot. All bani is same, pick a Bani in which you are more comfortable and just go for it. There are some katha wachaks who confuse people about understanding only but when you go on this path the understanding comes automatically. In bani there are lessons for all different stages for example some people might tell you that we should not ask for anything, yes but that is for later stage, If we consider our self as kids and guru sahib as parent then we can do the benti for anything. Practically there is nothing wrong and right. Guru sahib looks at the Bhavana for the person and how much effort a person is putting.
Thank you csingh jee..I agree there is an ealry and late stage and I am not on late stage yet.
thank you
I think that even if you do 1 jaap of any GurbaNee with 100% love for Maharaj then whatever ichha you have will be made to happen.

Vaheguru Ji!
Than you singh jee.. I will deftly do that thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login