ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kirtan and phones

Posted by SinghAbb 
Kirtan and phones
May 30, 2015 10:50PM
[www.youtube.com]

Is there a full video, because this one didn't show it all. Maybe a transcript of what he said or something would be useful.
Anyways, I think he said that phones shouldn't be used for kirtan. I am slightly skeptical about this idea. I know that kanth kirtan is very good, but pothis are allowed. I think that using a phone for kirtan is like using a pothi for kirtan and it should be okay. Of course having a shabad open and then putting the phone on the ground is bad, but it's very easy to do kirtan with a phone without doing beadbi like that. What do you think?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Kirtan and phones
May 31, 2015 09:26AM
Gurbani & Electronic devices
June 01, 2015 08:23AM
Doing Kirtan using a Pothi Sahib itself is not recommended. This is a different topic altogether, which has been discussed several times over and over. Soojhvaan Gursikhs have always upheld the Maryada of doing Kanthagar Kirtan (Kirtan from memory). At Darbar Sahib, Kirtan is being done this way ever since the time of Sri Guru Ram Das Jee.

So using mobile phone, iPad, tablet, laptop, etc. is out of question. Plus, there is always an issue of maintaining Satkar and Sucham.
June 01, 2015 09:55AM
Many Sujvaan Gursikhs have always advised to use Pothis or Amrit Keertan for Gurbani instead of electronic devices. To an extend this seems to be a good practice as the New Generation is completely moving away form Pothi Sahib and Amrit Keertan Pothi. I think the satkaar is always much more for pothi sahib against the devices.

There may be instances where you don't have pothis available so in such scenarios electronic devices should be ok.

However, doing kanth Keertan is the best of all

Sat Kartaar!!
June 09, 2015 01:02PM
To clarify, I got some new information and apparently using phones for kirtan isn't actually banned. Memorizing's better though. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 10, 2015 08:28AM
Can you share the Document/Newsletter to support the above statement. Thanks
June 15, 2015 02:18PM
Sorry I don't have any official documents. I don't even know where to get any written proofs of akal takht hukams. If anyone does, please tell us here.
What happened was that someone had posted on facebook saying that phone use is banned for paathis and granthis only, not for kirtanis. The news video was posted along with it. Unless I heard wrong, when I watched the video, the ban was mentioned for paathis and granthis only. Sikh24 says that kirtanis were asked to not use phones, but there is no strict order on them the way it is on paathis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login