ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meaning and pronunciation of ੴ

Posted by Theguptone 
How should ੴ be pronounced? I have heard: Ik Onkaar, Ik Oankaar, Ik Ongkaar, Ik Oangkaar. In, Dakhni Oankaar, "Oankaar" is written.
In Akal Ustat there also appears, "Ekankaara".

Which pronouncation, if any of these, is the one for ੴ ? And why is there both "Oankaar" and "Ekankaara" in Gurbani?

What does ੴ actually mean? I am also interested to know about any vichaar at all that bhai randhir singh ji has done about this.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
It is "EK ONG-KAAR"

as per gurbani tuk ""Ong Gurmukh kia akharaa"

EK ONG-KAAR can be broken into 3 parts.

First there was EK,...then came ONG-the sound/voice of God, the cosmos......and then came ''KAAR'-the creation

We are in Creation...in the KAAR...so to go back and merge into the "EK"...we have to simer in the gumantra and connect with the "ONG''.. ..the shabad.......
Ong shows up in bani but so does Oankaar. I think the right way to say it is ਓਅੰਕਾਰ. That's what Taksal says. I always assumed that most people read it that way.
It is Ik-Oaa(n)kaar. Oode te hora, aaede te tippi - Oaa-aa(n). We have (probably) been brought up hearing the wrong pronounciation of this so we don't really know what's right until you go to the right place to learn.

Vaheguru Ji!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login