ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bhai Daya SIngh Ji rehatnama

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
I wanted to write this message on a different thread in which Bhai Sahibs rehatnama was being questioned. But it seems like admin has close that thread because perhaps it was going to turn into a Keski vs. Kes debate. I will stay away from the Keski vs. Kes debate so I humbly request that this thread not be closed. Its important that we discuss rehat because its an integral part of our way of life and thinking.

First off when studying rehatnamey I think its wise to only study from scholars whom have done thorough research and are respected by the wider Sikh community. I have heard G.S. Lamba is an accredited scholar but I dont know if he has any books. Persoanlly I go by Professor Pyaarey Singh Ji since he is a respected an established researcher. Most of the rehatnameys included in his book seem legit to me I have not found any contradictions in BHai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama and most of the other rehatnamey. The only room for speculation is the modification of Keski to Kes which I dont want to get into for obvious reasons.

Anybody can write a book without any public scrutiny thats why we see different versions and distortions of Rehatnamey. We cant reject certain rehatnameys just because one book is skeptical and distorts these rehatnamey. When understanding rehatnamey we need faith, and Gurmat based reason.

I wanted to address some criticisms from a previous post. Whatever is written in bold has been questioned.

some examples from rehetnama of bhai daya singh ji:

from his discription of amrit sanchar:

varuna gave the water of amrit
indra gave patasay
yamraj gave sarabloh bata
kal gave karad (sarbloh knife - maybe used as khanda here? or in place of kirpaan as kakkar, it's unclear)
chandi gave kes
hanuman gave kachhera

for prashad, vishnu gave sugar, mahadev gave atta, and brahma gave ghio.

In describing the gift of Amrit, Bhai Sahib first describes the mystical and unseen power which is the real substance of Amrit ( Gurmantar) which is given by Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. He then poetically explains the physical symbols and their significance given at the Amrit Sanchar. Lets not forget in those days people were well aware of the Hindu tales. Guru Sahib would often use these tales to promote a Gurmat based virtue the same way he does in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib.
For example in the rehatnama Bhai Sahib writes the weapon Kashera gives the virtue of Hanuman. Kashera is considered a weapon against Kaam. Hanuman is known for his chastity when saving the lonely Sita from the lustful Ravan. In attempting to save Sita , Hanuman did not lay a finger on Sita who was painfully missing her husband Rama. Hanuman consoled Sita and told her that Rama will be saving her shortly.

Similarly when the Singhs used to save the captured Hindu women from being prostitutes they too did not lay a finger on the captured women instead they treated them as mothers and sisters. So pure is the warrior code of conduct practiced by the Khalsa other code of conducts like the Knights chivalry and the Samurais Bashido comes nowhere close to the ethical conduct practiced by the Khalsa.

To further elaborate this point of having a high moral conduct and practice chastity. BHai Sahib mentions in his rehatnamey to treat older women as your mothers and other women as your sisters. Bhai Sahib further states this is what a true celibate is. Khalsa should always remain celibate ( stay away from anothers spouse)

he also says only five paurees of anand sahib should be read.

I have not seen this. I have only seen him say after reciting the Panj Bania, after the last Pauri of Anand Sahib distribute the Amrit to the Abhilakhee.

other life:

if the foot washings of a singh is poured over a dead body, yam backs away and the person achieves liberation.

I dont see what is wrong with this if someone becomes the dust of the SadhSangat then death cannot phase them.

carry the karad (kirpaan) in the turban

Many of the Singhs use to carry shasters on their head/turban. During Ishnaan the put their Sri Sahib on top of their Dastar and during war they adorned their dastar with weapons.

wear clothes only in the following colors: dark grey, white, yellow, green.

Navy blue is the distinct color of the Khalsa so people question as to why would Guru Sahib allow this other colors. These colors are exceptions and are recommended during times of war.
It seems like the translators have translated surmey as dark grey. But the actual color is navy blue aka Midnight blue. During the nights Singhs would wear this color and camouflage so they were not easily detectable during the wars at night. THey would wear yellow and green during the day because these colors to camouflage in the day when standing in a group they could blend near a tree or hill and keep covered from the enemies.

do not apply oil to your kes.

Bhai Sahib says one must give great respect to the Kes. He goes on to say to wash it, tie it in a knot and keep it covered with a dastar. Plus comb it twice a day. He mentions anybody who doesnt respect their kes is considered an apostate. I dont see anywhere he specifically says not to put oil in your kes?

let clothing touch sri guru granth sahib ji before wearing it.

I have not heard this before. I dont remember reading this I have read that by obeying Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji all of ones family is saved.

only halal (turak kaa maas) is forbidden, other meat is ok (later discription also forbids the meat of the domestic pig, shikar is not mentioned)

Again I dont see where he has stated meat is ok. Instead he has mentioned sleeping with a prostitute and eating meet from the turk ( halal) will take you to hell. Again in the past captured Singhs who were hungary were seduced with food and other pleasures. He emphasizes that one who eats any food by the enemy will go to hell even if they eat bread, or sugar from them. Furthermore, he points out to never trust a Turk.

anyone who slanders guru sahib should be beheaded.

People try to take this out of context. The simple meaning is destroy the apporaching enemy.

a khatri should only ride a male horse, never a mare.

Khatri in the rehatnamey refers to Khalsa. Bhai Sahib states a Khatri( Khalsa) without weapons is a useless/bad. The religion of the Khatri ( Khalsa) is to only eat from those that adorn weapons meaning dont eat from cowards. At one point in history when the Muslims became extremely fanatic in some parts of the world they would go through some extreme measures. For example, in Iraq they practiced psychological warfare on the Jews. They told the Jews that their house must always be smaller then a Muslims if they disobeyed they would be killed. They also said the Jew cannot ride a horse but instead must ride a donkey. If a Muslims was walking the Jew must walk behind them and never in front of them. All this was to lower the esteem of the Jews and make them feel inferior and Subordinate to the Muslim. The Wahabi like fanatics tried the same tactics on Guru Sahib. But Guru Sahib laughed at such demands. Guru Sahib built the Akal Takht which was the biggest building around this reigion. Furthermore, he told sangat to bring horses and weapons instead of money during the times of war he did not sumbit to the demands of the aggressor. At this time Guru Sahib also encourage his Sikhs to wear dastar which further irritated the Islamic population.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
thank you sukhdeep singh
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> carry the karad (kirpaan) in the turban
>
>
> Many of the Singhs use to carry shasters on their
> head/turban. During Ishnaan the put their Sri
> Sahib on top of their Dastar and during war they
> adorned their dastar with weapons.
>

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Veerjio, you are absolutely correct when you say that the translations done by renowned scholars should be referenced. Daas sometimes find that during lot of modern day debates people will try to quote random tuk from gurbani to justify their matt. In majority of the cases the translations they do are incorrect as the tuk is taken out of context.

As for the kirpan in kes, this is a widely followed rehat among gursikhs till date. Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaaj also use to keep a small sri sahib in his kes. Darshan of this sri sahib are provided at Sachkhand Hazoor Sahib every evening at the samapti.

Apart from number of other reasons one of the main reasons for keeping kirpan in kes was to ensure that even if during the battles the singh ended up fighting with the sri sahib he/she was wearing and using it as a weapon and parting with it, the kirpan in kes will still be on the body.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login