ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some queries related to Sarabloh bibek

Posted by akaal74 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Daas has some questions for singhs and singhnees following sarablog bibek rehat.

1. At work how do you drink water. Daas understands you can take a baata along with you to work. But generally the kitchen tap water in the offices is from storage tanks not suitable for drinking. Is it ok to fill water in the baata from water dispense? If not, how do you carry water to work?

2. Daas has seen lot of singhs keep the leftover aata after making parshaade in wooden bowls in the fridge. Is this correct maryaada?

3. As for storing any leftover daal/sabji what is the best way?

Daas has some more spiritual aspect level queries which will be posted under a separate thread.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Akaal74 jeeo,

The answers below are by no means perfect and are just based on my meagre understanding.

1. At work how do you drink water. Daas understands you can take a baata along with you to work. But generally the kitchen tap water in the offices is from storage tanks not suitable for drinking. Is it ok to fill water in the baata from water dispense? If not, how do you carry water to work?

Get water straight from the tap after doing Sudhaayee of the tap. I would'nt suggest using water dispense. Storage tank is better than water dispense because it has more volume of water and thus less effect of jooth. Using tap with direct supply of water is the best.

2. Daas has seen lot of singhs keep the leftover aata after making parshaade in wooden bowls in the fridge. Is this correct maryaada?

Wooden bowls are fine.

3. As for storing any leftover daal/sabji what is the best way?

The best thing is to make just enough Daal Sabji for the day and not taking it out in any other utensil but if for whatever reason it has to be taken out, then one should use a utensil made of neutral substance. Traditionally Singhs have been using clay utensils or Cheeni utensils to store.

Kulbir Singh
So, are Cheeni Utensils Ok? What utensils Sarblohi Singh/Singhnia use in Microwave Oven?
As far as I know cheeni utensils are okay for storing. This is what we found out from Singhs in India.

As for microwave Sarblohi Singhs I know don't use it for cooking.

Kulbir Singh
As Bhai Kulbir Singh ji has stated, a microwave is not used by sarblohi singhs.

While cheeni/ kach is allowed for storage, any cooking/ heating of food is done in sarbloh alone. When using an oven for baking, the baking tray/ tin must be of sarbloh too.

Hope this helps.
I use mitti de bhanndde for storing. Is that ok ?

I use mitti de bhanndde for storing. Is that ok ?

According to the vichaars above, clay (mitti in panjabi) is fine.
Amritvela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As Bhai Kulbir Singh ji has stated, a microwave is
> not used by sarblohi singhs.
>
> While cheeni/ kach is allowed for storage, any
> cooking/ heating of food is done in sarbloh alone.
> When using an oven for baking, the baking tray/
> tin must be of sarbloh too.
>
> Hope this helps.

Kach (or glass) should not be ok for storage. As Daas has never seen singhs in India using glass utensils for either storing or consuming from. Cheeni utensils are made up of clay so they are different.
Veer akaal74 jio,

According to what I have seen, kacch for storage is used although some singhs may not. Kacch is used by singhs in India for keeping acchaars aswell as keeping other things. Here in the west, I know many who use it to store jam and sauces etc. While singhs use it for storing, nowhere have I mentioned that kacch is used for eating or heating but only for storing.

Bhulla khima karnia ji.
Microwave is indispensible for my Singhni. She will not like to reheat the DAAL SABZI on stove, every time we need that. confused smiley. Though not for cooking; reheating the food, Parshada etc, she finds very convenient in Microwave. Can Chini utensil, Papers, Cloth piece be used for warming the Parshadas? What will happen if one places metallic utensils in microwave? Do the Bibeki Singhs, warm up the tiffen food at job place, using Micrwave?

By Chhini, do we mean polished Mitti? What is that polishing chemical or material? Though Chhini is allowed for storing food, I do not see, using it even as fruit tray, by Singhs? Imagine Chini Utensil, near the Sarbloh Bata, how it looks on the dining table?
As far as daas is aware food cooking has to be done in sarabloh utensils only. This includes the reheating.

For the heating in microwave at work, daas can't even think of that. In our current workplace its not allowed but in previous company microwave was used by lot of people during lunch time. The kitchen smell was difficult to bear as people used to heat all non vegetarian food. Daas never every thought of using the microwave which had been used to heat non vegetarian food with all that smell circling inside the MW.
if you try to put sarbloh in the microwave you will damage your microwave and risk fire or even explosion.
Bhai Sahib Ji,

I have never understood the reasoning of why wood and clay utensils are OK with some Singhs, but then steel is not.
Once I asked a Singh if he preferred to use a wooded karrcchee or steel, if a sarbloh one was not available, he immediately stated that he would use a wooden one. I asked him why, he has no answer except that that is what some Singhs had told him.

In my poinion, Steel is closer to Sarbloh than wood, and wood and clay is porous, meaning it will retain jooth and germs for a log time, while steel will not.

Something to think about.

No doubt, Sarbloh (carbon steel/martensitic/ferritic steel) is the best, but for storage what is so wrong with the other steels?

Any thoughts on this Bhai Sahib?
Bhai Naranjan Singh jeeo, your questions are quite valid and logical. I think the aversion to stainless steel is there because at one point, stainless steel was going to take over Sarbloh. When steel was first introduced in Punjab many Singhs who were Sarblohi used steel for sometime thinking it was Sarbloh or improved Sarbloh but then Singhs had a meeting and decided that since it does not rust, and the residue of Sarbloh does not pass on to the food through it, therefore, it cannot be equalled with Sarbloh.

Many Singhs who stored food in Steel also slowly started eating in it. This was causing a serious damage to Sarbloh Rehit. Since there was a danger that stainless steel could replace Sarbloh, Pakke Sarblohi Singhs started avoiding it altogether.

Clay, Cheeni or wooden utensils have been acceptable because Singhs traditionally have been using them. I was shocked to see that Babbar Sarblohi (most rigid Sarblohi) Singhs of India considered it okay to eat Daal cooked in Bhadoli (clay pot). Milk is always done Kadhna (slow heating for many hours) in a Kaadhni (clay pot). I personally think that milk in kaadhni is fine but not Daal in Bhadoli. Where non-Sarbloh can be avoided, it should be avoided.

I think the main thing is to eat and cook in Sarbloh and try not to save food at all, for the next day and if storing is required then if possible use the traditional utensils for storage namely Clay, Cheeni etc. I know some Singhs do use Steel to store (I don't look down on them or consider them non-Sarblohi) but Singhs I associate with or look up to, recommend that traditional utensils be used for storing.

Rest Bhai, Guru Sahib knows.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
There was a story I read somewhere where Bhai sahib refused the usage of steel after trying it. Does anyone have that story available?
Kulbir Singh Veer Ji Kirpa Karo; Bhadoli Di Daal Bare Vee Dass Deo Ji. VICHARI DAAL NAAL BEINSAAFI KION KARDE O.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"""""I personally think that milk in kaadhni is fine but not Daal in Bhadoli."""""

Kulbir Singh Veer Ji Kirpa Karo; Bhadoli Di Daal Bare Vee Dass Deo Ji. VICHARI DAAL NAAL BEINSAAFI KION KARDE O

Vaheguru! Bhai MB Singh jeeo, tussi taan sabh kuch jaande ho. smiling smiley

As I mentioned in the previous post, where non-Sarbloh can be avoided, it should be avoided. It is hard for milk to Kadhna without Kaadhni but Daal can be made in Sarbloh and for this reason Bhadoli di Daal (I agree nothing tastes better than this) should be avoided. Having said this, I should mention that traditionally, Sarblohi Singhs in India find Bhadoli di Daal (Maah-Chholay) acceptable. What I wrote was based on my meagre understanding.

Bhai, if Chardi Kala Singhs find something acceptable, who are we to question them. What makes Singhs happy makes Guru Sahib happy and vice versa.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
i'd say the first step to sarabloh bibek is to throw out the microwaves from our homes

that if of course if the whole parivaar is sarablohee

it is scientifically proven that using microwaves causes cancer and also diminishes the nutrients in our food

not only that, it order to warm food, one would have to use kach or plastic

neither is acceptable in accordance with bibek

bhul chuk muaaf
daas
tanvir singh
Is it necessary to do Ardaas before and after making Sarblohi food?
Damandeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it necessary to do Ardaas before and after
> making Sarblohi food?

Its necessary to do small Ardas before and after when doing most activities . Not only cooking but eating as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login