ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prof Uday Singh jee is sick in hospital...

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Professor Uday Singh jee, a companion of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee had a heart attack on Saturday and has since been in Brampton hospital. He is in critical condition. Please do Ardaas for his Chardi Kala.

Professor jee has done great Seva in Toronto area by teaching hundreds Canadian kids Punjabi and Gurbani Paath. He taught Punjabi and Gurbani Paath for more than 40 years. His dedication to Gurmat has been legendary. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Professor Jee is still in hospital but I have heard he is recovering and getting stronger.
Professor Jee's speech was slurred before, but is making more sense now.

Please continue doing ardas for him.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Waheguru Jio Bhai Prof Uday Singh sehit raji kirpa karey Jio.
If Bhai Sahib ji is conscious like my eldest brother, who suffered major heart attack, went through major surgery, recovered, then had major stroke...advised him to jap Satnam Waheguru over phone, when his speech was very slurred, a day after surgery...and today he is walking ji...Hongkong medical care is good too.
Ghee is bad for health, and heart, which our kaum consume too much of. Take hot water daily, with half lemon squeezed, and no sugar...to cleanse blood ji...if unable to avoid ghee.
Also, diet of oatmeal (not instant), with cut fresh fruits dropped in it for flavor, instead of sugar...is excellent for heart, and health ji. Buckwheat is also another excellent heart friendly food, I recently discovered. Pomenegrate (not sure of spelling) is good for blood due to color, my intuition hints ji.
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
bhai sahib jee has passed away
vaheguroo

Sukhsehaj Kaur
Vaheguru... this is so sad....
Kulbir singh ji, can you please write out his gurmukhi jiwan?
Waheguru Jio..
Vaheguru! What a Gurmukh Aatma he was!

Daas requests all Gursikhs to write incidents about Professor Uday Singh jee and their experience about him. I am sure there are countless inspirational incidents involving Professor jee because hundreds of kids grew up learning Punjabi and Gurbani Paath from him.

Kulbir Singh
daas was fortunate enough to grow up learning punjabi, and paath from them.
They were an amazing teacher to all students, but they were extremely strict. if anyone talked during class they would hand the student a quarter and tell them to go call home and tell their parents to come pick them up. professor always said that I was there favourite student because of the way I read sri sukhmani sahib. They taught me how to write beautifully at the age of 5 and do sehaj paath at the age of 7. Even though it's been 11 years since I've learned from them, whenever I used to see them they used to ask daas to recite an ashtpadi of sri sukhmanI sahib so they could hear how well they taught me.

daas was also fortunate enough to go visit them in the hospital 2 days ago. Because of their Alzheimer's they didnt remember anyone but they somehow recgonized and remembered me. My little sister, onkar kaur was also with me, it was very hard for them to speak so the only thing they said was "main theek ho kay, enoo punjabi parnee sakhanee aa. enoo main sidee kar denaa hai" (when I get better, im going to teach her punjabi, i'll straighten her out" daas didnt say much to them becuase I was sure I'd see them again in 2 days.

They always have had so much piaar for every gursikh that comes their way and especially for little kids. Ever since they got sick, what motivated them was the little gursikhs at their school. They always said when they get better they're going to build a school so they could teach everybody how to read gurbani.

Sukhsehaj Kaur
It was during the 1940's when Bhai Sahib was writing a very important exam in his career, days later when he got the results, he failed. He tried again but he could not pass. He laughingly used to say, that this was the only exam he ever failed. The annual Narangwal smagam was coming up, professor ji went to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh JI and asked him to do ardaas for him, as he failed an exam. Bhai Randhir Singh JI in response replied that you will not pass the exam however you will participate in saadh sangat. Professor Uday Singh Ji, felt sad, now he knew he would never pass as Bhai Sahib was a true brahm gyani, however he still tried writing the exam, eventually he was assured that he can not pass. He was writing an exam after exam, therefore he had missed the upcoming smagam. Professor JI repents up to this day, that he couldn't attend that smagam, he felt that if he had gone to the smagam, his spirituality would have inclined by a great deal.
This was a another incident that Professor Ji narrated to us.
Professor Uday Singh Ji used to visit Bhai Randhir Singh Ji many times a week, he used to travel from jalandhar to narangwal on a bicycle i.e no train.
Once when he arrived, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh was sitting on a chair, he told Uday SIngh JI to sit beside him. This was during the mid 1950's, Bhai Sahib at that time were very old. Suddenly, a mangta (Beggar) appeared on the street and was walking towards Bhai Sahibs house. As he was coming closer, Bhai Randhir Singh JI got off his chair, which immediately fell down and vigorously spoke something like this, "now you have got what you deserve. This is the result of your sins. I warned you way back then but you didnt change", hearing this, the mangta ran away in fear. Professor Uday Singh Ji was shocked and didnt know what happened. Later, it was revealed that the begger was actually a superintendit who caused severe pain to bhai sahib.
bhul chuk muaff, more stories to come as time passes.
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
Vjkk vjkf

After failing his exams many times Professor sahib was on his way back to see Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji. On meeting they exchanged Gurfateh and Bhai Sahib through his antarjamta immediately knew he had retaken the exam and so asked about the result. At this Professor sahib broke down and let out all his feelings of regret to Bhai sahib. He said he had tried many times now to pass this exam but perhaps it was not written for him to pass it in this lifetime and so he would have to come back and re-sit it in the next janam. At this Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh immediately replied "Bahur ham kahe avenge".
The bachan of a brahmgiani is forever true, it would be safe to assume Professor sahib won't be coming back into chaurasi lakh joon.

Bau Mal Singh's pyaar for Professor Sahib:

In the late 1970s some of Professor Ji's family went to meet Bau Mal Singh Ji. They asked Bau Ji many times to narrate some stories of Bhai Randhir Singh, but Bau Ji was in another realm all together, totally intoxicated with naam and not replying. Bau Ji was very old at this time and his eye sight and hearing were failing him. Professor Ji's singhni then introduced herself to Bau Ji: "Bau Ji! Mein Professor Udhay Singh di singhni ah".
At this Bau Ji immediately looked at Mata ji and for a while it seemed the inner eyes were recognising the soul infront of Bau Ji. Alas! In a high pitched voice Bau ji cried out, "Ah! Professor Udhay Singh! meri jaan, meri jaan, meri jaan!"
Major request to everyone to come to tonight's Keertan. Many times these types of things are blessings in disguise, as when GurSikhs do Akaal Chalaanaa they end up bringing everyone together despite disagreements/problems people might have with eachother.

So Benti to everyone to please come together at tonight's Keertan and don't just show ekta, but actually have ekta and piaar deep within.

Keertan
Saturday November 23, 2013
8:00 PM to 2:00 AM
Gurooduaaraa Saaheb-Dixie-Main Hall
Shaheedee Divas Shree Guroo Teg Bahaadur Saaheb Jee
and In Loving Memory of Bhai Uday Singh Jee
Main Hall, Ontario Khalsa Darbar
7080 Dixie Road, Mississauga, ON

ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਿੰਚਹਿ ਦਰਬੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਲੋਗ ॥
You gather wealth by exploiting people.

ਤੇਰੈ ਕਾਜਿ ਨ ਅਵਰਾ ਜੋਗ ॥
It is of no use to you; it was meant for others.

ਕਰਿ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਹੋਇ ਵਰਤਹਿ ਅੰਧ ॥
You practice egotism, and act like a blind man.

ਜਮ ਕੀ ਜੇਵੜੀ ਤੂ ਆਗੈ ਬੰਧ ॥੧॥
In the world hereafter, you shall be tied to the leash of the Messenger of Death. ||1||

ਛਾਡਿ ਵਿਡਾਣੀ ਤਾਤਿ ਮੂੜੇ ॥
Give up your envy of others, you fool!

ਈਹਾ ਬਸਨਾ ਰਾਤਿ ਮੂੜੇ ॥
You only live here for a night, you fool!

ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਮਾਤੇ ਤੈ ਉਠਿ ਚਲਨਾ ॥
You are intoxicated with Maya, but you must soon arise and depart.

ਰਾਚਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਤੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਸੁਪਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
You are totally involved in the dream. ||1||Pause||

ਬਾਲ ਬਿਵਸਥਾ ਬਾਰਿਕੁ ਅੰਧ ॥
In his childhood, the child is blind.

ਭਰਿ ਜੋਬਨਿ ਲਾਗਾ ਦੁਰਗੰਧ ॥
In the fullness of youth, he is involved in foul-smelling sins.

ਤ੍ਰਿਤੀਅ ਬਿਵਸਥਾ ਸਿੰਚੇ ਮਾਇ ॥
In the third stage of life, he gathers the wealth of Maya.

ਬਿਰਧਿ ਭਇਆ ਛੋਡਿ ਚਲਿਓ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ॥੨॥
And when he grows old, he must leave all this; he departs regretting and repenting. ||2||

ਚਿਰੰਕਾਲ ਪਾਈ ਦ੍ਰੁਲਭ ਦੇਹ ॥
After a very long time, one obtains this precious human body, so difficult to obtain.

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਹੂਣੀ ਹੋਈ ਖੇਹ ॥
Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, it is reduced to dust.

ਪਸੂ ਪਰੇਤ ਮੁਗਧ ਤੇ ਬੁਰੀ ॥
Worse than a beast, a demon or an idiot,

ਤਿਸਹਿ ਨ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹ ਸਿਰੀ ॥੩॥
is that one who does not understand who created him. ||3||

ਸੁਣਿ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਗੋਪਾਲ ॥
Listen, O Creator Lord, Lord of the Universe, Lord of the World,

ਦੀਨ ਦਇਆਲ ਸਦਾ ਕਿਰਪਾਲ ॥
Merciful to the meek, forever compassionate -

ਤੁਮਹਿ ਛਡਾਵਹੁ ਛੁਟਕਹਿ ਬੰਧ ॥
If You emancipate the human, then his bonds are broken.

ਬਖਸਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਗ ਅੰਧ ॥੪॥੧੨॥੨੩॥
O Nanak, the people of world are blind; please, Lord, forgive them, and unite them with Yourself. ||4||12||23||
Bhai Sahib was an inspiration to all who met him. He was so passionate about teaching santhiya and remained strict with all his principles his whole life.
I was fortunate enough to spend time with Bhai Sahib, his smile was refreshing, and he always remained chardikala. He always asked me to do paat with him, and I learned much from him. The times I visited Bhai Sahib, he had a bad knee and found it difficult to walk, so sometimes he would be sitting up in bed while I did paat.
Once I was reciting Asa Kee Vaar, I looked over to Bhai Sahib as he hadn't corrected me for a while, he had fallen asleep. Vaheguroo! He probably got exhausted correcting me so often. We joked about it after and we went through Asa Kee Vaar again.
I got very happy when Bhai Sahib remembered me upon our last encounter, even though his memory was going.
It's always disheartening when a Gursikh with such qualities leaves this dark world, benti for Gursikhs to share more experiences of Bhai Sahib's life and any encounters with Bhai Sahib.
Vaaheguroo jee kaa Khaalsaa. Vaaheguroo jee kee Fateh..

Sunday - Nov. 24, 2013: Akhand Keertan at Visitation for Prof. Uday Singh Jee
4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Benisasia Funeral Home
3263 Derry Road East,
Mississauga, ON, L4T 1A8
905-678-0467
For more info, contact Bh. Maheshinder Singh Jee at 416-819-3321 and/or B. Ishnan Kaur Jee at 416-458-0765.

Monday - Nov. 25, 2013: Funeral/Cremation - Prof. Uday Singh Jee
To be announced soon...
For more info, contact Bh. Maheshinder Singh Jee at 416-819-3321 and/or B. Ishnan Kaur Jee at 416-458-0765.

Sunday - Dec. 1, 2013: Akhand Keertan & Sehaj Paatth Bhog for Prof. Uday Singh Jee
1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Gurooduaaraa Saaheb-Dixie Road (Hall No. 5)
Sehaj Paath Bhog and Keertan in loving memory of Prof. Uday Singh Jee
Ontario Khalsa Darbar (Hall 5), 7080 Dixie Road, Mississauga, ON

no replacement for professor sahib. we all owe him for giving our kids and us the strong roots of gurmit and lot more which is hard to explain. there is always be place in our heart that will be his, no one else can take that. R.I.P. professor sahib. we are blessed to have your company in our lives.
no replacement for professor sahib. we all owe him for giving our kids and us the strong roots of gurmit and lot more which is hard to explain. there is always be place in our heart that will be his, no one else can take that. R.I.P. professor sahib. we are blessed to have your company in our lives. Today I am Amritdhari. Bc of his blessing
I spend 2 years with him . He was full of love
Nazar Singh
Vaheguru!

I was not one of the lucky ones who got to learn Gurmukhi and Gurbani Paath from Professor jee but was lucky to have some sangat with him at a few times.

Whenever I met Professor jee he would always speak of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh without tire. It was like he would be in this whole different world and would talk about Bhai Sahib with so much love. At the end he would always say that he wishes Bhai Sahib had just taken him along with him because it is unbearable living without him. He would often say that all he has left now is Bhai Sahib's lekhs to console him.

Professor jee's stance on Gurmat and radical adherence to Larivaar Saroop is not only legendary but immensely inspiring. We can only hope to have even an iota of the dedication he had to Gurmat.

Preetam Singh

Benisasia Funeral Home
3263 Derry Road East, Mississauga, ON, L4T 1A8
905-678-0467

Visitation and Ardaas:
8:00 AM to 9:00 AM
Benisasia Funeral Home
905-678-0467

Cremation
Meadowvale Cemetery Crematorium and Mausoleum (Mavis Rd./Ray Lawson Blvd.)
7732 Mavis Road, Brampton, ON, L6Y5L5
905-451-371

Sunday - Dec. 1, 2013: Akhand Keertan & Sehaj Paatth Bhog for Prof. Uday Singh Jee

Benisasia Funeral Home
905-678-0467

Visitation and Ardaas:
Benisasia Funeral Home
905-678-0467

Cremation
9:30 AM to 10:30 AM
905-451-371

wow - amazing Gursikh - please keep the stories of Profesor jee coming - to have someone like this for learning is legandary i only hope and sure there are other Gursikhs teaching kids just like Professor jee. - if not then this is a real aim to go for.
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa... WAheguru Ji Ki Fateh
I heard that Bapu ji (Prof. Uday Singh JI) wrote a book called, I made frioends with a saint. Where can I find that book, or is there anyone who is willing to let me borrow it?
'GuruDefined' Jee,

check this link for discussion on this book:

[gurmatbibek.com]
There should be a Gurmukhi/Gurmat School named after him in GTA
Funeral and Samagams related to Professor Uday Singh jee as received from Bhai Amritpal Singh jee:

Visitation and Ardaas:
Benisasia Funeral Home (Airport Rd./Derry Rd. E.)
905-678-0467

Cremation
9:30 AM to 10:30 AM

Professor sahib was not amritdhari when he first met Bhai Randhir Singh ji. Professor sahib on seeing Bhai sahib thought that if Bhai sahib was to address him by his name (even though they had never met before) then he would agree to taking amrit. Asoon as Professor sahib thought this bhai sahib said: "Udhay Singh edan de soch ni sochi de"
Professor ji was a very parupkaari gurmukh. He often did ardas for individuals at his own expense. There is a very famous ardas that was performed at an Akhand Paath bhog in the UK where Professor Ji very emotionally did benti that the disease of patita be eradicated from his parivar and all the debt be put on his own head! Soon after members of Professor Jis extended family came into sikhi. Today there are many amritdhari members old and young who are bearing fruits of this very ardas.
A close member of Professor Ji's family was suffering from a chronic stomach problem, it was causing much distress to this Singh. Professor Ji did ardas and asked that the rog be given to him instead. Within a small period of time Professor Ji developed a abdominal problem and later Diabetes. However, the other Singh was cured.

Professor Ji had no attachment to wealth. He was very well paid as a University Professor but he would calculate exactly what his dhaal and roti would cost and then give the rest away for dasvandh. He made a massive contribution to the Bhai Randhir Singh trust in Ludhiana, Professor Ji sold his property in Jallandhar worth many hundreds of thousands of dollars and gifted it to the trust singhs, his wish was that Bhai Randhir Singh Ji's literature be distributed far and wide.
By: Sikh24 Editors
TORONTO, Ontario (November 25, 2013)—Professor Uday Singh of Toronto, Canada passed away this past Friday, November 22nd after having suffered a heart attack a few days earlier. Professor Uday Singh was well known in the Toronto area for his dedication to teaching children Gurmukhi and Gurmat. For over 40 years Professor Uday Singh taught young children Gurmukhi, Gurmat and Santhia at his Gurmat School, all for free. He was a Math professor at the Laurentian University in Ontario and after retiring he began to focus all his time and attention towards teaching children Gurmukhi.

He started out in a small basement where children would come to learn to read and write Punjabi, he was then able to buy a small unit where he could teach more children, in a school setting. He never asked for a cent from the students in return, all he asked was for them to put in the effort to learn what he was teaching. He taught thousands of students in the Toronto area, many of whom would not be able to read or write Punjabi if not for his efforts. He taught the children of his earlier students, and then their children as well—spanning three generations in the Toronto area.

Professor Uday Singh was a companion of the great Sikh, Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh for 16 years and doing seva in Amrit Sanchars with Bhai Sahib for many years. He then immigrated to Canada in 1961 and had never gone back. He was a staunch supporter of Khalistan, which cost him his Indian passport and the ability to ever go back to his original home.

Professor Uday Singh wrote many books during his life, one of them named I made friends with a Saint about his time spent with Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh. Another of his books was titled The Waning and Waxing of the Khalistan Movement, which is the book he believed cost him his Indian Passport and got him put on the black list.

“I have reason to believe it is this book poisoned them against me and my passport was taken away,” he said once.

Professor Uday Singh provided financial support to the families of Ajaib Singh Bagri and Inderjit Singh Reyat during their Air India Bombing trials. He believed them to be innocent of the crimes they were accused of, saying in a 2007 interview, “No Sikh is guilty of doing that. The Hindu government got it done.”

He sent monthly checks to the families of Inderjit Singh Reyat and Ajaib Singh Bagri saying, “I have every sympathy with the whole family, especially with the mother who has suffered most. To me they are like a bunch of flowers, very fragrant and very well-behaved and high-quality people to me.”

Although he was financially stretched by running his free Gurmat School, he still managed to send monthly checks to the families. Professor Uday Singh was known to live on only 10% of his earnings and give 90% towards Panthik causes. A Sikh is obliged only to give 10% towards the Panth and live off the remaining 90%.

Professor Uday Singh’s body was draped with the flag of Khalistan at the public viewing—his support for Khalistan was strong throughout his life.

He was an accomplished Gursikh, having Sangat of many renowned Gursikhs in India from the mid-1940s until 1961.

After immigrating to Canada in 1961 he dedicated all his time to teaching children Gurmukhi and instilling Gurmat values in them. He will be missed by the thousands of people he taught and met, and thousands more who heard of his undying need to teach the future generations of Sikhs. He had strict adherence to Gurmat and was not afraid to voice his opinion no matter who stood with him or against him.

The Panth has lost a great jewel in Professor Uday Singh, however his legacy lives on in the thousands of people he touched and inspired throughout his life.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
please post some photos Gem Bhai Professor Uday Singh jio, please ji..
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Ks Jee please see following link for pictures of Professor Jee:
[www.sikhsiyasat.net]

Benti to Toronto Gursikhs, please could you upload pictures from Professor Ji's funeral for the benefit of Sangat who were unable to attend.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Guru Pyareo TSinghjio,
Dhan Waheguru atey Guru Pyareo so very very much...Bhai Sahib Jio surely do not look 80, and like he is just cosily sleeping in His favorite flag of KHALISTAN! BOLEY SO NAY HAAL! SAT SRI AKAL!

bhul chuk muaf Waheguru..
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login