ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Har Rai Jee-Sakhis Please

Posted by amar 
Vaaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

I was wondering whether anyone could post sakhis of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee Maharaj. Guru Jee was Guru for 17 years yet we only know a few sakhis such as Dara Shikoh being healed, Baba Ram Rai changing Bani, Bhai Gonda meditating on Maharaj Jee's charan in Afghanistan, and Maharaj Jee's chola catching onto a flower. Guru Jee was Guru for so long but yet we don't know much about guru so I would be grateful if someone give a detailed account of Guru jee.

Bhull Chuk Maaf

Vaaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
We will be writing sakhis about Guru Har Rai jee close to Guru Sahib's Avtar Purab coming up end of January.

Admin.
Dass made the same request on tapoban.org forum some time ago....
Besides the mentioned sakhis nothing much is known to us....Guru Jee was Guru for 17 years...which is a lot.(though relatively it was a peaceful period for the sikhs...due to this, massive parchar of Gurmat must have taken place )
Its quite sad that history of Sikh Ithaas is quite silent on Sri Guru ji

Chota veer
Sikhs have been poor as far as writing history is concerned and for this reason, very little has been written of Siri Guru Har Rai jee and Siri Guru Harkishan jee. In any case whatever little that there is written about Siri Guru jee, we should preserve and narrate to our children and the next generation.

Kulbir Singh
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh

When Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji gave Guruship to Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji he advised him to keep an army of 2,200 with him. Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji also gave Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji the boon that whoever attacked him would get killed on the way.

Due to Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji’s helping Dara Shakoh, Aurangzeb send his generals 3 times to destroy Kiratpur.

Firstly Aurangzeb sent General Zalam Khan with 10,000 armed forces to attack Kiratpur, one the way send Zalam Khan ate uncooked meat and died due to severe pain in his stomach. After Zalam Khan died the army departed to their homes.

Secondly Aurangzeb send General Dhoode Khan of Kandhar, when he reached Kartarpur one of these enemies killed him while he was asleep. Seeing their commander dead the army returned.

Thirdly Aurangzeb send General Nahar Khan (who was the ruler of Saharanpur) to destroy Kiratpur and arrest Guru Ji. When Nahar Khan reached Yamana Nagar, cholera spread in the army, the soldiers were dying like sheep and goats. Nahar Khan died with half this army, when the remaining army came to know this had happened due to the “curse” of the Guru they were horrified and run away. After this no General dared to attack Kiratpur.
Vaahgeuroo Jee Ka Khalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

Thank you for that Sakhi jee. I know one sakhi which my nani told my recently...Guru Jee had stayed in my nanake pind Dosanjh Khurd which is by Khatkar Kalan in Nawanshahr for 21 days. Guru Jee was on the way to Kiratpur Sahib which his army of 2200. Guru Jee had come to this pind to stay for a while but the people in the pind said many bad things to Guru Jee and so Maharaj went to a nearby pind called Nagra. The village Dosanjh Khurd then suffered a very bad drought which led the village folk to go to Nagra and requested Guru Jee to come back to Dosanjh pind and to stop the drought, which Guru Jee agreed. Guru Jee along with his 2200 army set off for the pind and when reached there Guru Jee's horse had hit a place which his foot and water was then available. Guru Jee had said to all of the village folk that all of the people in the pind would "Ujjhar Ke Vasse" meaning that all of the village people will one day go away from the pind and new people will live here. Till this day there are houses which can be found which families have died out and new people from other villages have now occupied these houses. Guru Jee's bachan had come true which is what always happens. Then Maharaj had stayed here for 21 days to do parchar to the sangat. There is now a gurdwara in the pind, and a sarovar where the water had come out from. Guru Granth Sahib Jee is prakashed at the same place where Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee Maharaj had once sat to parchar for 21 days.
Bhull Chukka Di Khema (if any of the above is wrong or someone has got any problems with the sakhi then please let me know)
Vaaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh
Thank you Amar jee for sharing this saakhi. Many times such saakhis are not written in any book but are known to the people where the saakhis have occurred.

Maharaj jee's Gurpurab is end of this month. Let's remember Guru Sahib's great works and fill our minds with His divine love.

Kulbir Singh
Guru Piyare jio,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Amar jio, thanks for sharing the Saakhi. There is minor correction. This Sakhi belongs to 6th Nanak Guru HarGobind Patshah. Daas had chance to visit this place few times.

With Regards,
Daas,
JASJIT SINGH
Guru Hargobind Jee never came to this place ,only Guru Har Rai came to this place...you can go to this place and ask...Guru Hargobind Jee came to Gurdwara Charan Kanwal in Banga town.
Amar jio,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

May be my mistake, because Daas is confused with Village Sotra(n) of 6th Patshah Asthaan and had similar Saakhi. this village Sotra(n) is 2 km from Banga. Similarly there is another Gurudwara Panjh Tirthi in village Larroa (ਲੜੋਆ), of 6th Patshahi about 7-8 Km from Banga. So all daas know is GuruDwaras related to PathShahi 6th in Banga area. I faintly recall is this village Dosanjh Khurd is the one which on the road to village Karnana from Banga. Because there are two villages begins with name Dosanjh in Banga area. Also known as Shotee Dosanjh (ਛੋਟੀਆਂ ਦੁਸਾਝਾਂ )and Vaddee Dosanjh (ਵੱਡੀਆਂ ਦੁਸਾਝਾਂ). Anyway aside from Patshahi 6th I do not know clearly for other Guru Sahib's asthaan in Banga area.

With Regards,
Daas,
JASJIT SINGH
I could be mistaken but while going to Chandigarh from Phagwara, close to Banga (on main road), there is a Gurdwara of Patshahi 7 (Siri Guru Har Rai Sahib jee). I am not sure if this is the Gurdwara Sahib Amar Singh is talking about.

Kulbir Singh

This gurdwara sahib is in the pind dosanjh khurd which is reffered to a shotte dosanjh as khurd is reffered to small pinds and the other one is dosanjh kalan on the mukandpur-goraya road and kalan is for larger pinds. Sotra is a pind not far from Dosanjh khurd which was visited by Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee, there is usually a jor meala here in the month of July on the day when Guru jee visited this place. Sotra is right next to the pind Poonia which is Bhai Sahib Rajinder Singh Chalda Vaheer's Pind. The gurdwara sahib is inside the pind, on the road which goes to Katkar Kalan which is Bhagat Singhs ancestoral pind. The gurdwara in Dosanjh Khurd is Called Patshahi Satvin and is rund by the Langar Sahib Dera which was started by Baba Nidhan Singh.Hope this makes sense jee.

Bhull Chukk Di Khema

Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji and Bhai Gonda

Off old forum tapoban.org

This is an amazing sakhi about Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji, the King of Kings and the Saint of Saints and his beloved sikh, Bhai Gonda.

A devout Sikh called Bhai Gonda abode with Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaj. He was a saint in thought, word and deed. Guru Ji was very much pleased with his sincere devotion and said, 'Bhai Gonda, go to Kabul, instruct Sikhs over there in the worship of the true name and preach the faith of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Feed holy men and pilgrims with the offerings that you recieve, and send what remains for the maintenance of my kitchen. These are your duties, and I am confident that you will perform them'.

Although Kabul was a foreign country and there was danger from Muslim bigotry in residing there, yet Gonda cheerfully accepted the task which was given to him by his beloved Guru. On arriving in Kabul he built a Gurudwara, and carried out all Guru Jis instructions. In other respects the following lines of Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj which he was accustomed to repeat, served him as a guide:

Meditate in your heart on the Guru's image;
Regale your mind with the Guru's word and spell,
Put the Guru's feet into your heart,
And ever bow to the Guru, the Supreme Being.

One day while Bhai Gonda was repeating Japji Sahib, he thought he was clinging onto Guru Jis feet. He was in such a state of abstraction that he became quite unconscious. He grew as absorbed in the sight of Guru Ji as a drop of rain in the ocean.

All knowing Guru Ji, knew what was passing in Gonda's mind, and sat firmly on his throne keeping his feet together. When dinner was annouced, as usual at mid-day, he made no response. When the annoucement was repeated about an hour afterwards, he still remained silent. A third time after a longer interval dinner was annouced and the sevadaars asked permission to serve it, however, still Guru Ji did not speak.

When several sikhs were on the point of making a representation to him, he broke his silence and said, 'My Brothers and Sisters, Bhai Gonda is in Kabul. He is in thought, word and deed, a sikh of the Guru. Today he has clasped my feet. How can I withdraw them from him? And how can I go and take my dinner until he lets go of my feet? I am therefore waiting until the conclusion of his meditation and obeisance.'

Bhai Gonda did not awake from his trance, before twilight, and it was only then that Guru Ji felt free to take his repast.
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jio,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

These are the Historical Gurudwaras Daas know of in Banga area:

1) Gurudwara Charan Kanwal Paatshahi 6th Banga-Jindowal located on Main Road of Phagwara-Nawanshahr-Chadigargh. This is under SGPC.
2) Gurudwara Gur Palah Paathshahi 6th Village Sotra(n) located about 1 km south of the Main Road of Phagwara-Nawanshahr-Chadigargh. This is also under SGPC.

These were constructed by Maharaja Ranjit Singh and had lot of land signed to these Gurudwaras. There are also other Gurudwaras in memory of 6th Paatshahi in near villages of Banga constructed by mainly village Sangat. One of them is in village Gobindpur 4-5 km north from Banga where Sri Hargobind Paatshah cured the persons sickened with arthritis. I am wondering how come the place mentioned by Amar jio can be ignored by daas which is just 3-4 km from Banga and had great Saakhi. This is also surprising that how come Maharaja Ranjit Singh missed such a place where "7th Guru Jee's horse had hit his foot and water came out" because he built the Gurudwara as mentioned in 1) where 6th Paatshah's horse did the same. Daas will try to visit this palace in future.

With Regards,
Daas,
JASJIT SINGH

Bhai Sangat Pheru from the village Aanbwaari near Lahore, started the business of selling local products as a hawker from a young age. When he heard the praises of Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji he decided to move to Kiratpur. When he reached Kiratpur he started selling ghee, carrying the pot on his head. He started going daily to the Darbar of Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji to pay homage to Guru Ji. Guru Sahib started buying ghee from him for Langar so his business flourished.

Bhai Bhagatu at this time was in charge of agriculture of Guru Ji’s land, which he was tilling with other Sikhs. One day Bhai Bhagatu was serving meals to the labourers who had been reaping the crop of wheat; Bhai Sangat was passing by with the pot of ghee on his head. The labourers said “Bhai Bhagatu, we have been doing hard work, please provide us with some ghee with these dry rotis”

Bhai Bhagatu asked Bhai Sangat to provide one chhatank (two ounces) of ghee for each labourer. Bhai Sangat gave one chhatank of ghee to each of the labourers from his pot, Bhai Bhagatu said “please take the price for the ghee from Guru Ji.”

After this Bhai Sangat reached his house and put the pot of ghee in his room, the next day when he was going to go to the market to sell his ghee. He looked into the pot and saw the ghee was at the same level as he had brought it from a nearby village. He was amazed to see this; he had given the labourers more than one seer (one kilo) but his pot was now full to the brim. He was now determined to give up his business and serve Guru Ji.

He carried the pot of ghee on his head to the Langar and placed in the kitchen. He then requested Guru Ji that he wanted to led his life in Guru Ji’s service. Guru Ji blessed him and said “We change your name from today, as you have got the gift of Naam as a Pheriwala (hawker), therefore we name you Bhai Pheru. We appoint you in charge of the Langar, you must be careful that no one remains hungry.”

Bhai Pheru was serving in the kitchen day and night, one day some Sikhs came late form Langar. In the kitchen there was some stale rotis and some fresh rotis were being made. Bhai Pheru served some stale rotis to some Sikhs and fresh rotis to the rest of the Sikhs. One Sikh noticed this discrimination and said “Bhai Pheru, you have made the Langar blind of one eye by making this discrimination.”

Bhai Pheru said “my dear Gursikh, today I have made mistake but in the future I will act cautiously. I may lose my one eye but I will not make the Langar blind of one eye (i.e. he will not discriminate again).” These words became true and he lost the sight of this eyes.

When Guru Ji came to know Bhai Pheru had become blind in one eye he went straight to Bhai Pheru and presented him a Gutka and a Saropa. Guru Ji said “I am pleased with your Seva, now I appoint you Masand of Nikka Desh. Now go there and preach Sikhi. You will not face any shortage for anything. Hands will be yours and pocket will be of the Guru, spend according to your desire”

Bhai Pheru went to Nikka Desh and set up Langar which ran 24 hours a day, he made the village Miaan Ki Maur as his headquarters.
Wonderful saakhis "A Singh", "Vista" and "Amar" jee. This thread has become so inspirational.

Kulbir Singh

I found a sakhi about a sikh around Guru Ram Das Jee's time. The person was called Adam or Uddam and had no child so he offered prayers through the muslim and Hindu faith and was advised to go to Guru Ram Das jee at Amritsar which he did so. He then started to seva trough Sangat and the Guru. Besides partaking of the holy sangat morning and evening, he daily brought two loads of firewood from the jungle, one of which he contributed to the Guru ka Langar, selling part of the second to buy food for himself and storing the remainder. Once on an extremely cold night a large number of Sikhs arrived to visit the Guru.

As they stood shivering in the open, Bhai Adam fetched his stock of firewood and lit bonfires for them. Guru Ram Das was highly pleased and bade him ask for a boon. Adam shyly said that he had everything he wanted except a son. The Guru gave him his blessing. .Guru Jee was pleased with his sincerity and humilty granted him a son which was named Bhai Bhagatu.

Bhai Bhagatu became a religious orientated person who attended Amritsar and the construction of Sri Harmandir Sahib. He then retired to his village and started to attend diwans of Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee Maharaj on Vaisakhi. When Bhai Bhagatu attended a diwan Guru Har Rai Jee said to him "You are fairly old now; it is time you were married." The Guru was referring metaphorically to death, alluding to Shaikh Farid's line in the Guru Granth Sahib :

The soul is the bride, Death the bridegroom;
He will wed her and take her away.

But the simple minded Bhai Bhagatu, taking the remarks literally, was greatly perplexed. He had two grownup sons from his wife, now long deceased, and remarriage at his age would in any case be ridiculous. He went home without giving a reply, but the Guru's words continued to ring in his ears. He was still ruminating over the "strange" suggestion when he made his next visit to Guru Har Rai, at Kartarpur, in Jalandhar district. The Guru asked Bhai Bhagatu why he looked so preoccupied. As Bhai Bhagatu shyly and haltingly revealed his problem. Guru Har Rai smiled at his naivette and told him that he had merely meant to comment on his age. Bhai Bhagatu now feeling relieved, stayed on in the service of the Guru until he died shortly after the next Baisakhi festival in April 1652. Guru Har Rai personally performed his last rites, and praised his simplicity and devotion.

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

Bhai Bhagatu and Sons

Bhai Bhagatu was a pious Sikh; he remained with Guru Arjan Dev Ji and Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji. When Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji shifted to Kiratpur Bhai Bhagatu also went with Guru Ji. Bhai Sahib had played a major role in the construction of Kiratpur. Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji made Bhai Bhagatu in charge of the agriculture of Guru Ji’s land; Bhai Sahib tilled the fields and produced crops. One day Guru Ji sent for Bhai Bhagatu and said “we want you to go to your village to preach Sikhi in your area.” Bhai Bhagatu went to his village and preached Sikhi to the local people, during this time Bhai Sahib’s wife passed away. One day when Bhai Sahib went to meet Guru Ji, Guru Ji advised him to get remarried. Listening to Guru Ji his got married again. The next year Bhai Sahib reached Kartarpur to pay homage, while there Bhai Sahib passed away. Guru Ji performed Bhai Bhagatu’s Antam-sanskar.

The eldest son of Bhai Bhagatu was Bhai Gaura who was a brave man, he keep with him 500 armed youngmen. He was always with Guru protecting him; his younger brother’s name was Jeewan. Both brothers loved and respected their step-mother, once Bhai Jassa a bodyguard of Guru Ji said he was ready to marry their step-mother. When Bhai Gaura heard this he got furious and killed Bhai Jassa. Guru Ji was displeased to hear this act of Bhai Gaura, Bhai Gaura regretted this act. He wanted to get pardon from Guru Ji but dare to meet him, he followed Guru Ji but always remained at a distance.

Guru Ji had gone to Doaba to accelerate preaching of Sikhi in the area. Guru’s wife and sons stayed at the previous camp with a few Sikhs while Guru Ji moved ahead. When Qasam Beg the grandson of Mukhlas Khan found that there were only a few Sikhs with the Guru’s family he decided to kill them. When Bhai Gaura found out that Qasam Beg was advancing towards the camp, he alerted his men to get ready to face Qasam Beg. When Qasam Beg found out that there were more Sikhs then is expected then he fled from the camp. Guru Ji’s wife saw the skirmish, when Guru Ji returned she told him about the skirmish. Guru Ji was pleased with the bravery of Bhai Gaura and pardoned him for the killing of Bhai Jassa.

One day when Guru Ji visited Kartarpur he camped outside the city. On that day the only son of a Brahmin died, some Brahmins said Guru Har Rai is said to have all spiritual powers, if he is the real Guru he will make your son alive if he does not then he is a hypocrite. The Brahmin carried his son and palced his body in front of Guru Ji during a Darbar. Placing their son in front of Guru Ji they began to weep bitterly. The Sikhs were moved to hear their cry and some Sikhs said the Guru should revive the child. When Guru Ji heard this he said “we cannot help others by only wishing, we have to sacrifice ourselves. The Sikh who considers that if I do not revive the child of the Brahmin will bring an indignity to the house of the Guru should sacrifice his own life for the sake of the child.” When Bhai Jeewan (younger son of Bhai Bhagatu) heard the words of the Guru he went outside did ardas and passed away, the son of the Brahmin was revived. Guru Ji praised the sacrifice of Bhai Jeewan and performed his Antam-sanskar.

(The Brahmin pleading before Siri Guru jee)
Amazing thread! Thanks to all for sharing guru ji's sakhis. I now know so much more about Guru ji.

Bhagat Bhagwan Gir was an ascetic sadhu, who was the owner of a big dera with 360 branches, with his headquarters at Budh-Gaya. Once he decided to meet Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji, he departed from Budh-Gaya, on the journey to Kiratpur he thought if Guru Ji can see his mind desire he would appear in the form of Chatturbhuj. When he reached Kiratpur he went to see Guru Ji, whom he saw in the form of Chatturbhuj, seeing this he became unconscious and fell to the ground. When he revived consciousness he saw Guru Ji in his real form and said “My lord, do a favour to me and make me your disciple”. Guru Ji said “Bhagat Bhagwan, for the purpose you have visited this place has been fulfilled. Now you should go and meet Baba Mehar Chand the disciple of Baba Sri Chand.”

Bhagat Bhagwan obeyed the advice of Guru Ji and met Baba Mehar Chand, and told him the whole story. He also said he had a big dera with thousands of ascetic sadhu being his disciples. When Baba Mehar Chand heard his story he laughed and said “Bhagat Bhagwan you have not left your ego yet. You have been leading a sadhu jatha but you are still entrapped in ego, greed and allurement. If you want to get rid of these you should go to Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji. I have no treatment for this decease; you should get Naam from Guru Ji.”

Bhagat Bhagwan reached Kiratpur to meet Guru Ji, he now wanted to become a true Sikh, informing his disciples he said “Now I have decided to become a true Sikh of the Guru, I will put off the dress of an ascetic. Those who want to become Sikhs should come with me and those not interested in becoming Sikhs can go wherever they want.”

When he meet Guru Ji he feel at his feet, Guru caught his hand and stood up from his seat, Guru Ji embraced him with great love, Guru Ji gave him Charan Amrit and Naam. Bhagat Bhagwan got true bliss and his ego, greed and allurement vanished.

He became a devout Gursikh and always served Guru Ji with humility. Guru Ji was pleased to see his Seva, one day Guru Ji called him and said “Bhagat Bhagwan, we are pleased at your service (Seva), we appoint you as a preacher (Masand).” Bhagat Bhagwan went to his homeland and established 360 preaching centres in UP and Bihar, his headquarters was at village Nanapur near Patna Sahib (Bihar).
I was reading the other day that Guru Jee had a daughter called Roop Kaur who lived at Kiratpur Sahib. I never knew that Guru Jee had a daughter so I was wondering if anyone had any information on Roop Kaur and how she became Guru Jee's daughter as it is said she was adopted. If anyone has any information that would be really.
amar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was reading the other day that Guru Jee had a
> daughter called Roop Kaur who lived at Kiratpur
> Sahib. I never knew that Guru Jee had a daughter
> so I was wondering if anyone had any information
> on Roop Kaur and how she became Guru Jee's
> daughter as it is said she was adopted. If anyone
> has any information that would be really.

I also heard this, though most people do not talk about Roop Kaur.
Even if she was adopted there would be more information about her, like birth date, marriage, when was she adopted and why,death date etc..

Could someone give some information on this topic, thankssmiling smiley
Roop Kaur was the real daughter of Guruji. Bhat vahis prove this. She was not an adopted daughter as some historians have written. She was the real daughter.
I heard she was the real daughter born to Mata Sulakhni on 8 April 1649 and married on 3 December 1662 to Khem Karan son of Bhai Per Mall and had a son Amar Singh, but I wanted to know some sakhis of Bibi Jee as there is nothing about her.
Thanks to amar and Bhagauti for information thumbs up

like amar I know nothing about Bibi Ji could someone put up a sakhis or some more information ,
also why is it that Bibi Ji is not even mentioned most of the time? with only Baba Ram Rai & Guru Harkrishan Sahib Ji listed as the childern of Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji. confused smiley
Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Cures Dara Shikoh

The Emperor Shah Jahan had four sons: Dara Shikoh, Shuja Muhammad, Aurangzeb, and Murad Baksh. Dara Shikoh was the heir-apparent, and was very dear to his father.

Aurangzeb was very cunning, clever and ambitious, and was fixated on succeeding to the throne. He administered tiger’s whiskers in a dish to his eldest brother and he became dangerously ill as a result. Astrologers were sent for, pirs and fakirs were called, all known charms, spells and incantations were tried but to no avail.

Wise men were assembled together and they came to the decision that until the tiger’s whiskers could be removed, there was no hope of a recovery. They were of the opinion that if two ounces of chebulic myrobalan (scientific name: termininalia chebula; known in Ayurvedic medicine as Aralu, credited with having laxative and stomachic properties) and a clove weighing one masha were administered, his health could be restored.

The Emperor searched everywhere for the ingredients but they could not be found – it was only until his Prime Minister, who had heard of Guru Har Rai Sahib Jis’ fame, was informed that there were available from Guru Sahib’s storehouse, that hope was restored.

Although the Emperor was hostile to Guru Ji, yet as Guru Sahib’s house was a mine of sympathy and compassion for all, there was no doubt that he would grant the articles required.

The Emperor humbled himself before the king of kings Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji and sent a letter. Guru Sahib was pleased that the Emperor had such confidence in him as to write such a friendly letter, and consented to give the required medicines.

“Behold,” said Guru Ji , “with one hand man breaks flowers and with one hand offers them, but the flowers perfume both hands alike. The axe cuts the sandal tree, yet the sandal perfumes the axe. The Guru ought, therefore, to return good for evil.”

The ingredients were weighed and it was explained that these medicines would cause the hardest substance taken to be digested. To these ingredients, Guru Ji added a pearl which was to be ground and used as a subsidiary remedy.

The Emperor was naturally very pleased and forgot all his enemity with Guru Sahib, and vowed that he would never again cause him annoyance. His medicine was administered and effected a speedy and complete cure.

ਸਰਬਰੋਗਕਾਅਉਖਦੁਨਾਮੁ ॥

sikhee.com
Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Meets Baba (Guru) Tegh Bahadhur Ji

Both Baba Ram Rai and Baba Har Krishan Sahib Ji were anxious to see Baba Tegh Bahadur, the only surviving brother of their grandfather, Baba Gurditta Ji, at Bakala. All they knew was that Baba Tegh Bahadhur Ji, their grand-uncle led a quiet life of intense meditation.
To them his very name was a legend, because even at Kiratpur, where Baba Tegh Bahadhur Ji had stayed for nearly fifteen years, he was affectionately remembered by all the young and old as the sage-mystic whose charity and humaneness were unparalleled in this world and the next.
Both the sahibzade of Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaj were eager to meet and feel the spiritual warmth of the Venerable Baba living at Bakala, and seek his holy blessings. They would love to hear from him and from Mata Nanaki Ji, their great grandmother, the stories and eye-witness accounts of their beloved Great Grandfather Satguru Sri Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj. They would love to receive the blessings of Mata Gujari. Thus at Bakala, they not only expected the warmest hospitality but they hoped that they would know much about the Elders of their family.
From Kartarpur Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaj moved on to Bakala in the middle of May. At Kartarpur he had pitched his camp outside the city at a place known as Tahli Sahib, but here at Bakala his stay was to be of short duration: so he stayed in Baba Tegh Bahadur Ji's house.
When Baba Tegh Bahadur Ji received Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaj, he bowed down to touch his feet but Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji humbly prostrated before him in utter humility and devotion saying, "To me, dear Uncle, you are like my father. As matter of fact my father died when I was very young. I have always looked on you as the living image of my dear father Baba Gurditta Ji. You are the only surviving son of my grandfather Satguru Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, who loved you so much. As such, you are the living embodiment of my beloved grandfather also. I have brought my sons with me. They are eagerly waiting for your benediction. Please, graciously bless them."
Baba Tegh Bahadur Ji was visibily moved. He embraced Guru Sahib's Sahibzade Baba Ram Rai and Baba Har Krishan Sahib Ji, and kissed them on their forehead and blessed them. It is written that never did Baba Ram Rai and Baba Har Krishan feel so sincere and such warm love and affection amongst their kith and kin, as was imparted to them by the radiant personality of Baba Tegh Bahadur Ji.
Amar jeeo, what a beautiful account of meeting between Siri Guru Har Rai Sahib jee and Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib jee. So little has been written on their relations. This was really moving, Amar jee. Thanks for sharing.

Kulbir Singh
The helper of the world

Once a householder Sikh came to see Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai ji, maharaj the king of kings and the saint of saints, and narrated his problem: "O True King, I had a son who grew into a promising young man. He is dead now. I had hoped that he would take over the responsibilities of the household, and that I will come and stay in your service to earn salvation at your door. But my hopes have been shattered. What should 1 do in this plight? This is troubling me constantly."
"Tell me how many members are there in your family, and what do you do to make a living?" asked Guru Ji.
"O True King, there are two younger sons and a daughter, besides their
mother. I am the fIfth. With regard to livelihood, whatever I earn, is used to feed us all," replied the Sikh.
"If you are really keen to serve the Guru, start right away. Leave their care to God. He will look after them. You can make your life fruitful," said Maharaj.
"O True King, my thinking is immature. I believe that without me they will perish. You are the Guru. Everything is at your command. Please, show me something to put faith into me."
"Do an errand for me. We shall talk about faith, when you return. Deliver a message to my Sikh who lives in a village 50 miles from here."
"Please, give me the letter, Maharaj, I will go and deliver this message as quick as I can" requested the Sikh. Guru Ji wrote a message, instructing that the messenger should be imprisoned for six months, after which he should be released, and that he should be looked after well. The Sikh carried the letter and delivered it. He was detained as per Maharaj's instruction. The Sikh pleaded, "0 brother, I have four persons to support. They can eat only if I earn. Without me they will starve. Please, let me go."
The Sikh replied, "Listen brother, it is you who have brought this letter. The Guru at whose command everything happens, has instructed that the man who brings this message, should be imprisoned. You want to be released. Now you advise whether we should obey you or the Guru who is omnipotent. Consider what is proper for you and what is proper for me, and then speak."
"Who am I? You should obey the all-powerful Guru."
"You have understood the situation correctly. Now be patient. Wait for six months, concentrate on the Guru in mind, after which I shall let you go. It is in your interest to obey the Guru. Carrying out the Guru's instructions is in my interest also." The Sikh acquiesced.
At the other end, Maharaj arranged for the sustenance of the Sikh's family in this way. They went without one meal. Their neighbours asked them why they had not cooked their meal. The Sikh's wife replied, "Who earned has abandoned us. God knows what was his consideration. Now our sustenance is in the hands of God. If He gives, we shall cook and eat. Otherwise, we shall bear it quietly."
The neighbours thought it was not proper that the family should stay hungry in their midst, and that some arrangements must be made for them. To start with, each one of them brought one tray of flour for the family. There were fifty houses in the neighbourhood. Thus, fifty trays of flour were collected. Then the inhabitants of the locality gave them employment. The two sons started working as attendants, and earning. A lady took pity and gave the little girl and her mother lessons in embroidery. Thus, their sustenance was no longer a problem.
On the expiry of six months, the Sikh was released from detention. He immediately went to his family. He had been greatly worried. He was afraid that they would be no more. But when he found them hale and hearty, he was very happy. In fact, he saw that they were better off as compared to earlier times.
When his wife told him the truth about the family, it made him all the more happy. He realised that the Guru had arranged all this to put faith into him. He went to see the Guru again, and out of gratefulness, said happily, "O True King, you have taken me out of hell, and brought the reality before my eyes. Otherwise, my entire life would have been wasted worrying about food for the family. Now I have seen that in fact I was a hindrance in their sustenance. When I was away, there was abundance of everything. Now I shall devote my life in the service of the Guru. Because of your mercy I have found bliss."
"Listen, O Sikh, there were ten doors to the sustenance of your family. When were they without sustenance? God provides it even where there is no door. There is life within rocks. Their sustenance reaches there. There are beings deep inside the earth. God feeds them there. Similarly, there are beings in the sky. Their sustenance is arranged there. Listen to this story of how He looks after His creation. There is a mountain of ferrous rocks in the sea where no fanning is possible. People live there also and need food. They are surrounded by a huge ocean, which man-made boats cannot cross. For them, every year God creates ships and inspires such traders, shows routes to them, so that the ships can reach those mountains, barter iron ore day and night in exchange for food they bring from outside. The exchange does not stop. The people feel that they are drawing their sustenance from the iron ore. So, they love their occupation of mining.
Because they are ignorant of the Almighty. They give all credit to their occupation. As God has to provide sustenance to living beings, He creates the illusion that it is their effort which sustains them. Those who know that it is really God who provides sustenance, are attached to Him.”
How amazing is our beloved Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Ji Maharaj, the king of kings, the saint of saints and the helper of the world !!
Gurbani and Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji

One day Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Maharaj’s Sikhs inquired whether those who read the Guru’s hymns without understanding them derived any spiritual advantage there from. Guru Ji gave no reply at the time, and the next morning went hunting. On a level plain on his way he saw pieces of a pot, which had held butter. The sun was melting the butter on the potsherds. Guru Ji took one of them in his hand and said, ‘Ye see, my Sikh brethren, these are old potsherds, but when they are heated, the butter that has adhered to them rapidly melt. As the grease adheres to the potsherds, so do the Guru’s hymns to the heart of his Sikhs. At the hour of death the Guru’s instruction shall assuredly bare fruit. Whether understood or not, it hath within it the seed of salvation. Perfume clings to the broken vase.
The meaning of this parable is, that whoever daily reads the Guru’s hymns shall assuredly obtain peace. And even though he does not fully understand them Waheguru will undoubtedly assist him.
Satguru Sri Guru Ram Das Ji Maharaj said, ‘The word is the Guru, and the Guru is the Word, and in the word is the essence of ambrosia’.
Satguru Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj also said, ‘Waheguru will not destroy your labour’.
‘That is, even though ye understand not. God will accept your prayers. God never in the slightest degree spoileth a good act, so why daily repetition of our hymns should be wasted?’
The Guru’s questioners were satisfied and their devotion increased.

DHAN DHAN SATGURU SRI GURU HAR RAI SAHIB JI MAHARAJ, THE KING OF KINGS AND THE SAINT OF SAINTS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login