ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Naam Abhiyaas be done in Surtee ?

Posted by harinder_singh 
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee has written that some very nice gursikhs have told him that one must try to do gurbani abhiyaas in surtee. In the same way, can one do naam abhiyaas in surtee too ? Shud an effort be made to do some naam abhiyaas in surtee ??
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
what is the english equivalent of "surtee"?

Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee has written that some very nice gursikhs have told him that one must try to do gurbani abhiyaas in surtee. In the same way, can one do naam abhiyaas in surtee too ? Shud an effort be made to do some naam abhiyaas in surtee ??

Absolutely, an effort should be made to do Naam Abhyaas in Surthee. At Amritvela it should be done loudly and then during the day, while doing all the required tasks, Naam should be remembered in the Surthee. If during Amritvela we try to do Abhyaas in Surthee, there is a high chance of falling asleep. I noticed in Amritvela Abhyaas, many years ago, that Bhai Jeevan Singh jee used to do most of his Abhyaas in surthee at Amritvela. Towards the end of the Abhyaas, he used to stand-jog while doing Abhyaas. I asked him once why he did so and he replied while laughing that he did so to get some exercise while doing abhyaas.

As far as efficiency of Abhyaas in Surthee is concerned, I guess it depends on one's spiritual state. If one is prone to sleep, it is better to do Abhyaas a little audibly. But as mentioned before, some Abhyaas at Amritvela must be done audibly to get the engine of Naam Abhyaas going.

what is the english equivalent of "surtee"?

Surtee can't be fully translated into English. Perhaps it means attention, concentration, mind's eye...

Kulbir Singh
Veer Ji, could surti be called Consciousness. It is defined as below.

"""""""Consciousness is variously defined as subjective experience, or awareness, or wakefulness, or the executive control system of the mind.[1] It is an umbrella term that may refer to a variety of mental phenomena.[2] Although humans realize what everyday experiences are, consciousness refuses to be defined, philosophers note (e.g. John Searle in The Oxford Companion to Philosophy):[3]

"Anything that we are aware of at a given moment forms part of our consciousness, making conscious experience at once the most familiar and most mysterious aspect of our lives."
—Schneider and Velmans, 2007[4]""""""""""""""""

ਸੋ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਜਪਣਾ ਨਿਰੀ ਮਕੈਨੀਕਲ ਰੈਪੀਟੀਸ਼ਨ (ਮੁੜ ਮੁੜ ਇਕ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਨੂੰ ਆਮੁਹਾਰਾ ਕਹੀ ਜਾਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਫੋਕੀ ਕਾਰ) ਨਹੀਂ, ਸਗੋਂ ਨਾਮ-ਰਸ ਲੀਨ ਕਰਾਉਂਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਤੇ ਕਪਾਟ ਖੋਲ੍ਹਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਸਚੀ ਕਾਰ ਹੈ। ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਅਰਥਾਤ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਜਾਗਤ ਸਾਸ ਗ੍ਰਾਸ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ, ਰਸਨਾ (ਜੀਭ) ਦੁਆਰਾ ਅਥਵਾ ਸੁਆਸਾਂ ਤੇ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਦੁਆਰਾ। (ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਆਦਿ ਸਵਾਲਾਂ ਸਬੰਧੀ ਵੇਰਵਾ ਦੇਖਣ ਲਈ ਪੜ੍ਹੋ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਕਮਾਈ, ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਲੇਖ, ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਕੀ ਮਉਜ ਅਤੇ ਅਨਹਦ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਸਮ ਦੁਆਰ ਪੁਸਤਕਾਂ)।

Veer Kulbir Singh Jee,
The above is taken from www.akj.org, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee's book 'Vaheguroo Simran'.
Can u explain the line in bold ?

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਅਰਥਾਤ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਜਾਗਤ ਸਾਸ ਗ੍ਰਾਸ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ, ਰਸਨਾ (ਜੀਭ) ਦੁਆਰਾ ਅਥਵਾ ਸੁਆਸਾਂ ਤੇ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਦੁਆਰਾ।

Veer Kulbir Singh Jee,
The above is taken from www.akj.org, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee's book 'Vaheguroo Simran'.
Can u explain the line in bold ?

As per my understanding, in the above line, Bhai Sahib is saying that Abhyaas of Vaheguru (Chanting of Naam) can be done while walking and sitting, while awake and sleeping, while breathing and eating; and this Abhyaas can be done audibly with Rasna, or through Swaas Swaas or by Surthee (in the mind).

Kulbir Singh
As the other posters have stated

To get up at start the day with Naam Abhyass is essential , If you keep building it up then everything, will fall in to place automatically.

When we start learning how to drive a car we find it difficult, but slowly we get the hang of it and then we can drive for a long time. The engine doesn't stop.

Doing more paath is always good it will fuel the engine to keep going.
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਅਰਥਾਤ
> ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਅਭਿਆਸ
> ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਜਾਗਤ
> ਸਾਸ ਗ੍ਰਾਸ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ
> ਹੈ
, ਰਸਨਾ (ਜੀਭ) ਦੁਆਰਾ
> ਅਥਵਾ ਸੁਆਸਾਂ ਤੇ
> ਸੁਰਤੀ ਦੁਆਰਾ।
>
> Veer Kulbir Singh Jee,
> The above is taken from www.akj.org, Bhai Sahib
> Randhir Singh Jee's book 'Vaheguroo Simran'.
> Can u explain the line in bold ?
>
>
> As per my understanding, in the above line, Bhai
> Sahib is saying that Abhyaas of Vaheguru (Chanting
> of Naam) can be done while walking and sitting,
> while awake and sleeping, while breathing and
> eating; and this Abhyaas can be done audibly with
> Rasna, or through Swaas Swaas or by Surthee (in
> the mind).
>
> Kulbir Singh

Veer jee,
Saas graaas here means breathing and eating ???
In Gurbani, saas graas means incoming and outgoing breath.

Veer jee,
Saas graaas here means breathing and eating ???
In Gurbani, saas graas means incoming and outgoing breath.

You are right that Saas-Giraas when used in context of Naam Abhyaas, means breathing in and breathing out but another meaning of Giraas is also eating and I thought that at this place perhaps it meant eating since Bhai Sahib had mentioned doing Naam Abyaas while awake, sleeping, sitting, wandering, breathing and eating. Breathing had been covered in "Saas" and I thought, "Giraas" could cover eating.

Here are some instances in Gurbani where Giraas clearly means eating:

ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਣਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਪੈਨਣਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਕੇ ਮੁਖਿ ਗਿਰਾਸ ॥

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਦੇ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਪੋਚਾਰਿ ॥

ਵਿਚਿ ਆਪੇ ਜੰਤ ਉਪਾਇਅਨੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ ਦੇਇ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ॥

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
> > Veer jee,
> Saas graaas here means breathing and eating ???
> In Gurbani, saas graas means incoming and outgoing
> breath.
>
>
> You are right that Saas-Giraas when used in
> context of Naam Abhyaas, means breathing in and
> breathing out but another meaning of Giraas is
> also eating and I thought that at this place
> perhaps it meant eating since Bhai Sahib had
> mentioned doing Naam Abyaas while awake, sleeping,
> sitting, wandering, breathing and eating.
> Breathing had been covered in "Saas" and I
> thought, "Giraas" could cover eating.
>
> Here are some instances in Gurbani where Giraas
> clearly means eating:
>
> ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਣਾ ਬਿਖੁ
> ਪੈਨਣਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਕੇ ਮੁਖਿ
> ਗਿਰਾਸ ॥
>
> ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮੁਖਿ
> ਦੇ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ਖਿਨੁ
> ਖਿਨੁ ਪੋਚਾਰਿ ॥
>
> ਵਿਚਿ ਆਪੇ ਜੰਤ
> ਉਪਾਇਅਨੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ
> ਦੇਇ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ॥
>
> Kulbir Singh

Veerjee,
In my opinion feel that here Bhai Sahib is using saas giraas as incoming and outgoing breath and the meaning of the line in bold is :
One can do oothat, baithat, sovat, jaagat simran by using tongue and KEEP SURTEE ON SWASAAN(BREATHS..
harinder_singh Wrote:

>
> Veerjee,
> In my opinion feel that here Bhai Sahib is using
> saas giraas as incoming and outgoing breath and
> the meaning of the line in bold is :
> One can do oothat, baithat, sovat, jaagat simran
> by using tongue and KEEP SURTEE ON
> SWASAAN(BREATHS..

Veer Ji perhaps Bhai Randhir Singh Ji is referring to each swas being food aka Amrit

Take a look at the following pangtia by Bhai Gurdas JI

ਗੁਰਭਾਈ ਸੰਤੁ ਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਚਰਣਾਮ੍ਰਤੁ ਲੈ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਿਵੇਹੀ ।

ਪੈਰੀ ਪਵਣੁ ਨ ਛੋਡੀਐ ਕਲੀ ਕਾਲਿ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ਕਰੇਹੀ

ਵਾਰ ੧

Upon entering the Sants ( Guru Sahib) shop/treasurehouse the Gurmukhs with their mouth take the CharanAmrit
Their breath does not let go of the GUrus holy charan, in Kaljug swas swas simran is the purest conduct.

It is apparent here that charan and amrit is referring to inside. Because of the mention ਪੈਰੀ ਪਵਣੁ ਨ ਛੋਡੀਐ with their breath (ਪਵਣੁ ) they do not let go of the Gurus charan. It would not make sense to say with their breath
do not let go of the Gurus physical charan. So with ones swas one takes quenches the Gurus amrit as food.

The real problem lies do we have time to enter the Gurus shop or are we too busy with this leyna deyna Duniya.
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
> > Veer jee,
> Saas graaas here means breathing and eating ???
> In Gurbani, saas graas means incoming and outgoing
> breath.
>
>
> You are right that Saas-Giraas when used in
> context of Naam Abhyaas, means breathing in and
> breathing out but another meaning of Giraas is
> also eating and I thought that at this place
> perhaps it meant eating since Bhai Sahib had
> mentioned doing Naam Abyaas while awake, sleeping,
> sitting, wandering, breathing and eating.
> Breathing had been covered in "Saas" and I
> thought, "Giraas" could cover eating.
>
> Here are some instances in Gurbani where Giraas
> clearly means eating:
>
> ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਣਾ ਬਿਖੁ
> ਪੈਨਣਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਕੇ ਮੁਖਿ
> ਗਿਰਾਸ ॥
>
> ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮੁਖਿ
> ਦੇ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ਖਿਨੁ
> ਖਿਨੁ ਪੋਚਾਰਿ ॥
>
> ਵਿਚਿ ਆਪੇ ਜੰਤ
> ਉਪਾਇਅਨੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ
> ਦੇਇ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ॥
>
> Kulbir Singh

Veer jee,
In all the above tukks, the word giraas appears alone. Whenever saas giraas is used together, it always means swas swas GURMAT Naam Abhiyaas.

Veer jee,
In all the above tukks, the word giraas appears alone. Whenever saas giraas is used together, it always means swas swas GURMAT Naam Abhiyaas.

I agree that when Saas-Giraas come together, it means Swaas Swaas simran with Gurmat Vidhee of Abhyaas.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh
Absolutely, an effort should be made to do Naam Abhyaas in Surthee. At Amritvela it should be done loudly and then during the day, while doing all the required tasks, Naam should be remembered in the Surthee

Kulbir Singh Jeeoo,

Even a person without swaas swaas naam drirh can do naam abhiyaas in surti.
So whats the link between amritvela swas swas abhiyaas and surti abhiyaas during the day ?

Even a person without swaas swaas naam drirh can do naam abhiyaas in surti.
So whats the link between amritvela swas swas abhiyaas and surti abhiyaas during the day ?

Surthee Naam Abhyaas in Gurmat way is not just japping Naam in the Mind but even in the Surthee, the same procedure or Ardh-Urdh Abhyaas is followed, that is followed while doing audible Saas Giraas Abhyaas. This is not a subject of writing or otherwise explaining but of experience.

Kulbir Singh
Do the punj pyaraas tell this or are they supposed to tell this ?
I don't think so, Harinder Singh jeeo.

Kulbir Singh
Harinder SIngh Jeeo I think many of your questions can be resolved
by reading GUrmat Naam Abhiyas Kamaee by Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login