ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Writing bani in larivaar

Posted by sarblohlove 
Writing bani in larivaar
April 09, 2010 12:16PM
sangat jio, i starting writing gurbani recently and just now have thought of these questions:

1) when having mahala followed by number, should the number be separeted like "m 5" or connected "mahala5".

2) I've noticed there are differences in saroops of guru granth sahib. For e.g. if on one ang the tuk ends with har naam, in another saroop "har naam" may begin on the next ang instead, or har naam might be followed by more words on the ang in another saroop. So when writing a saroop of guru granth sahib ji is it ok to add or move on words at the end/beginning of an ang when it comes to spacing issues?

3) Is it ok to have a considerable gap when a new raag starts?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
First of all, Shabaash to you for doing the effort of writing Guru Sahib's Amritmai Gurbani. Doing paath of Gurbani, doing Kirtan of Gurbani, Writing Gurbani and doing Vichaar of Gurbani are all part of Gurmat Bibek that we all should strive to do.

1) when having mahala followed by number, should the number be separeted like "m 5" or connected "mahala5".

I think the numericals like 1, 2, 3 etc. are not joined but are separate. The reason is that the numericals in Punjabi are not connected with the line above them as is the case with alphabets.

2) I've noticed there are differences in saroops of guru granth sahib. For e.g. if on one ang the tuk ends with har naam, in another saroop "har naam" may begin on the next ang instead, or har naam might be followed by more words on the ang in another saroop. So when writing a saroop of guru granth sahib ji is it ok to add or move on words at the end/beginning of an ang when it comes to spacing issues?

It does not make a difference if one of more words move on to next page. It is not mandatory to have as many angs as in printed saroops because all handwritten saroops had different amount of angs. Having said that, it is a good idea that the Angs of written saroops now match with the printed Saroops.

3) Is it ok to have a considerable gap when a new raag starts?

No there should not be a considerable gap between Raags. If you write according to the printed Saroops, then there will be no such problem because it is ensured in the printed Saroops that there is no gap between Raags and Raags in printed Saroops always start on a new Ang. In hand written where Angs ae different than the printed Saroops, the new Raag can start middle of the Ang as opposed to the new ang, as is the case with printed Saroops.

If you follow the printed Saroops in terms of angs and lines on an Ang (there are 19 lines on printed Saroops), then there is a lower chance of making mistakes; otherwise, there is always a major danger of skipping a line. If you skip a line, then you will have to write the whole ang again. It really hurts when you see that the whole Ang that you wrote has been wasted.

Kulbir Singh
Re: Writing bani in larivaar
April 11, 2010 05:39PM
Not waste bhaisahib but another chance to correct one's wrongs!!
Re: Writing bani in larivaar
April 11, 2010 06:59PM
Are you writing on separate papers? how will you join them?

Not waste bhaisahib but another chance to correct one's wrongs!!

Grmtbbk jeeo,

You are correct. I don't know what else to write because the Ang that you write incorrectly cannot be used for Maharaj jee. This is what I meant by saying that it is wasted i.e. can't be included in Maharaj jee but surely the effort to write Gurbani on that Ang is not wasted and one still gets Khushi of Guru Sahib.

Bhul Chuk dee Muaafi jee.

Kulbir Singh
Many thanks bhai sahib.
Since panth has made a format for sri guru granth sahib i think its best to stick to this setup to avoid complicating things. Another thing i noticed is that printed larivaar saroops have gaps between full stops while pratan handwritten saroops do not. Its best to keep things as pratan as possible!
One importan point to make - as sikhs of the panth we must obey the firm decision of khalsa panth that rag mala must be included in guru granth sahib ji, even if we don't believe in it.

Namaskar ji, one would have to bind them, that i find is a relatively minor problem compared to the big hurdle of overcoming laziness and writing out the whole saroop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login