ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sangat's money (a short story)

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
Once Bhai Amrik Singh ji (son of Sant Kartar Singh Ji) was talking to some Singhs when his younger daughter kept bothering him by asking Rs 5. She was adamant that she wanted Rs. 5 from her dad only and no one else. When she didn't stop after asking couple of times and as she was disturbing the important conversation, Bhai Sahib took a Rs 5 note from his pocket and gave it to her. She was so happy to get Rs 5 from her dad and tired that she slept there itself with holding Rs. 5 note in her hand. When the Singhs left the house, her dad (Bhai Amrik Singh Ji) slowly took the Rs. 5 note back while she was sleeping. Her mom (Bhai Sahib's Singhnee) sitting beside saw it and wanted to question Bhai Sahib when Bhai Sahib knowing that the question would come decided to answer it before the question is asked.

He said that this is the money of the Sangat and I don't want my family to use even a single penny of Sangat's money for personal use as the sangat has given money for panthic use.

This is one of the most important principle and we have heard many stories of strong gursikhs obiding to this principle. We pray that Guru Sahib always bless us that we always use sangat's money for betterment of the panth and not for anyone's personal benefit.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Great Story! But this should apply to any money that one has not earned fairly, not just sangat's money. Many have fallen ill of this, but everyone's lekha will be accounted for one day. Even if you have borrowed (let alone conned someone) out of a penny, make sure it is returned. This is the gursikh way.

Feeding you children from the gains of others hard work or money is like giving them poison and it will only lead to ruin in the long run.

ਪਉੜੀ ||
ਭੂਪਤਿ ਰਾਜੇ ਰੰਗ ਰਾਇ ਸੰਚਹਿ ਬਿਖੁ ਮਾਇਆ ||
ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਹੇਤੁ ਵਧਾਇਦੇ ਪਰ ਦਰਬੁ ਚੁਰਾਇਆ ||
ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਨ ਵਿਸਹਹਿ ਬਹੁ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗਾਇਆ ||
ਵੇਖਦਿਆ ਹੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਧੁਹਿ ਗਈ ਪਛੁਤਹਿ ਪਛੁਤਾਇਆ ||
ਜਮ ਦਰਿ ਬਧੇ ਮਾਰੀਅਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਇਆ ||੨੧||

Pauree:
Kings, rulers and monarchs enjoy pleasures and gather the poison of Maya.
In love with it, they collect more and more, stealing the wealth of others.
They do not trust their own children or spouses; they are totally attached to the love of Maya.
But even as they look on, Maya cheats them, and they come to regret and repent.
Bound and gagged at Death's door, they are beaten and punished; O Nanak, it pleases the Will of the Lord. ||21||

Let us pray that: ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਇਹ ਬੰਧਨ ਛੁਟਕਾਰੀ || ਬੂਡਤ ਅੰਧ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾਢਤ ਸਾਧ ਜਨਾ ਸੰਗਾਰੀ ||੨||੧੧||੪੨||
(Have mercy on me, O Supreme Lord God, and release me from these bonds.The blind are sinking, O Nanak; God saves them, uniting them with the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||2||11||42)

An inspirational story in my life. When my nanaji knew his time was near, he instructed his son to go around and pay any oustanding money he owed or felt he owed anyone before he departed from this world. He was very strict in ensuring his accounts were accurate and every rupee was accounted for. I always remeber this if I ever need to borrow anything from anyone which is not mine.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login