ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Organ donation

Posted by KaurUK 
Organ donation
April 12, 2013 03:49PM
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

I'd like to put myself on the organ register, so that if I were to die my organs would be donated to someone who needs them.

Is this in line with Gurmat? If they were to cut my hair after I die, although my soul would be gone from my body, would this be acceptable?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Organ donation
April 12, 2013 09:44PM
Even after death, the body is treated, as supposed for a sikh. All kakkars, are placed on the body, as usual (if possible). In no case hair removal could be allowed.

Regarding other body parts, there is no consensus. GURSIKHS did make such donations; while I also know Gursikhs, who object to it.
April 13, 2013 12:12AM
Don't let them take off your kes after you die. That would be bad.

Organ donation I think is a pretty noble deed. I would do it. Go for it.....
April 14, 2013 08:20AM
Well my concern is that when cutting inside the body to get organs, body hair will also be cut. And I doubt the body/ kes will be kept respectfully, but I do think organ donation is necessary.
April 14, 2013 10:15AM
Throughout the Sikh history, there were countless Shaheeds of the Panth. Many gave their lives for the Panth & Guru, not one donated their organs. Maybe something we can learn from that???
April 14, 2013 11:07AM
This what the Akal Takhat says:

Reaffirming their traditional saying “Panth ki Jeet”, the Sikhs are constantly engaged in their endeavor of practicing the teachings of the Guru by serving the humanity through Community Kitchen (Langar), Joda-Ghar, educational institutions, field of health-care and various other means. According to the Guru’s Hukam, where service of the nation is important, at the same time the service of society through physical aid is more important. Moreover if blood donation, organ donation and eye donation are considered an inseparable part of the social service, then it would be no different than the service of the Guru.

Due to lack of medical advances, I don't think this topic was discussed in the past. Once the soul leaves the body question is do we need to worry about staying 'Sabat Soorat'? I feel we should, so not sure how we can avoid removal of hair. In any case how does one avoid this if they go under the knife for medical reasons whilst living? Sorry for more questions.
April 14, 2013 01:50PM
Thank you for your response, I've been thinking the same as you and would like some answers if possible.
April 14, 2013 02:32PM
what do you think we could learn from that? speak clearly, you sound confused.
April 14, 2013 02:35PM
organ donation is a good thing! you could save someones life! what's unethical in that?! consider the pros and cons...pros=many cons=not many
April 14, 2013 08:01PM
Vaheguroo Jee kaa Khalsaa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee fateh!

There is no right or wrong when it comes to organ donation. This should be a personal decision, if a Gursikh is ok with this then this should be ok.

Bhai MB SIngh Ji,

Just a folow up question, if someone is worried about kesh/rom bedabi after death, then does this apply to cases of *postmortem* also?

Just curious....

Vaheguroo jee Kaa Khalsaa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
April 15, 2013 04:56AM
Veer Ji, I have never heard any concern about ROM BEADBI after death with postmortem or organ donation. May be other VEER can share their views, pl.
April 15, 2013 08:07AM
I am of the opinion that the sanctity of the sacred human body should be kept even after death and cheer-Faar i.e. cutting or removing of organs or hair should not be done. So much so that this new practice of keeping the body in funeral home for days is wrong. In funeral homes, they inject fluids and chemicals in the body and drain out blood, to maintain the body for so long. The Saskaar of the body should be done at the earliest convenience and I personally would like my body to be cremated as soon as possible.

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee Tapoban while talking casually with me had personally mentioned that no chemicals should be injected in his body and the Saskaar should be done as soon as possible. I totally agree with this. Rest what's going to happen is in the hands of Guru Sahib.

It's very hard to do Daava (strong claim) about the future, especially about one's death. Sant Jarnail Singh jee Bhindranwala once made a breathtaking claim. He declared that if 100 or 1000 or even 100,000 (Lakh) police or army were to come, they cannot take him alive. He said that, "Main Nihchae naal keh sakda haan..." (I can say this with full conviction). In the end he said that, "Ih Guru Sahib dee Kirpa hai". Sikhi spirit in Sant jee was overwhelming. It's surprising that not a single leader today has the Sikhi-spirit that Sant jee had. A leader like Sant jee is very much required today; Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

What Sant jee would have said about Bhullar jee's hanging?

The police had caught two Singhs and was not bringing them to the court. The police intended to kill them in fake encounter after torturing them. Sant jee did not do any mercy appeal or plea to the police to release them. He clearly said that "Beshak maar deyo" i.e. "go ahead and kill them. Where we have cremated our other brothers we will cremate and pay respect to them too but remember that we will not spare the policemen responsible for killing them". Not a single person today is of Sant jee's calibre who would challenge the government to try killing political Sikh prisoners and then see consequences.

Today we are begging before the ungrateful Hindu Baaniya people for mercy. These Baaniya (shopkeepers) were better off selling groceries in their grocery stores but today these Baaniya and pandit Hindus have been blessed with Raj but they are not doing the Raj fairly. Their Raj will be gone because of the negative Karma of their own deeds. Idiots!!!!

Kulbir Singh

Kulbir Singh
April 15, 2013 10:29AM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What Sant jee would have said about Bhullar jee's
> hanging?
>
> The police had caught two Singhs and was not
> bringing them to the court. The police intended to
> kill them in fake encounter after torturing them.
> Sant jee did not do any mercy appeal or plea to
> the police to release them. He clearly said that
> "Beshak maar deyo" i.e. "go ahead and kill them.
> Where we have cremated our other brothers we will
> cremate and pay respect to them too but remember
> that we will not spare the policemen responsible
> for killing them". Not a single person today is of
> Sant jee's calibre who would challenge the
> government to try killing political Sikh prisoners
> and then see consequences.
>
> Today we are begging before the ungrateful Hindu
> Baaniya people for mercy. These Baaniya
> (shopkeepers) were better off selling groceries in
> their grocery stores but today these Baaniya and
> pandit Hindus have been blessed with Raj but they
> are not doing the Raj fairly. Their Raj will be
> gone because of the negative Karma of their own
> deeds. Idiots!!!!
>
> Kulbir Singh
>
> Kulbir Singh

Vahegurooo. sad smiley I agree that instead of demanding justice from the Indian government we should be taking justice into our own hands. Every Singh and Kaur should know how to fight, and should have the bir ras to shoulder our responsibilities as sovereign princes, lions, protectors.

Sorry for diverting the topic.
April 15, 2013 11:16AM
I agree that injecting chemicals into a corpse is just gross. Maybe it would be wise to speak to a funeral home person and make arrangements before dying about funeral before hand and save enough money for funeral? funerals are expensive.
April 15, 2013 11:25AM
Yeah become aware of the legal system and your rights. You have rights! Fight for your rights. Be persistent.
April 15, 2013 11:53AM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:

> What Sant jee would have said about Bhullar jee's
> hanging?
>
> The police had caught two Singhs and was not
> bringing them to the court. The police intended to
> kill them in fake encounter after torturing them.
> Sant jee did not do any mercy appeal or plea to
> the police to release them. He clearly said that
> "Beshak maar deyo" i.e. "go ahead and kill them.
> Where we have cremated our other brothers we will
> cremate and pay respect to them too but remember
> that we will not spare the policemen responsible
> for killing them". Not a single person today is of
> Sant jee's calibre who would challenge the
> government to try killing political Sikh prisoners
> and then see consequences.
>
> Today we are begging before the ungrateful Hindu
> Baaniya people for mercy. These Baaniya
> (shopkeepers) were better off selling groceries in
> their grocery stores but today these Baaniya and
> pandit Hindus have been blessed with Raj but they
> are not doing the Raj fairly. Their Raj will be
> gone because of the negative Karma of their own
> deeds. Idiots!!!!
>
> Kulbir Singh
>
> Kulbir Singh

I agree. But souls like Sant Jee are special. They are sent by Guru Jee to revive the love of Sikhi amongst the Sikhs. I feel we need another such soul who can again awaken the sleeping qaum and remind us about our rights as human beings and our obligation towards the Sikh Panth. May Guru Jee do apaar kirpa
April 15, 2013 01:00PM
ਅਬ ਤੋ ਵੋਹ ਹੋਗਾ ਜੋ ਖ਼ੁਦਾਇ ਮਨਜ਼ੂਰ
April 16, 2013 06:24PM
This seems to be a classic case of Secular Humanism vs Traditional Gurmat. Which apporach is correct? I cannot say for certainity nor am I in any position to claim how ones body should be treated after death.

Today is Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh jis barsi,and I will like to share a sakhi about a Puratan Gurmukh who departed similarly to Bhai Sahib. Perhaps some of the information in the sakhi can bring light into this modern day dilema of disposing ones body according to tradition or humanism. The most ancient example/story we have of a Gursikhs body being destroyed after death comes from Bhai Bala Janam Sakhis . The sakhi is about Bhai Mardana Jis departure from this temporary world.

One day Bhai Mardana Ji mentioned to Sri Guru Ji how two beautiful people apporached him with a garland of flowers and then just disappeared. Sri Guru Ji mentioned that these two men were in fact angels and they have come to take Mardana Ji to the next world. Mardana Ji accepted Sri Guru Ji Bhana and was more then happy to depart , but he posed a question to Sri Guru Ji . He said " Where and how will you dispose my body?". Mardana was born a Muslim but he convererted to Sikhi. According to Muslims the body is buried and a memorial grave is erected. The reason being is Muslims believe the body should be burried and it will rise again on judgement day, but according to Gurmat Rites the body is creamated and their is no memorial grave needed.

Sri Guru Ji decided to test Mardana one last time. Sri Guru Ji replied " We will be present for your antam sansakr ( funeral rites) and we will place your body in a beautiful place. Sri Guru Ji further explained the dominant antam sanskar traditions of the Hindus. Sri Guru Ji mentioned how the ashes of the Brahmins are disposed in water while the Khatris ashes are placed in fire , the Vaisha are thrown in the air and the shudras ashes are buried in the earth. Sri Guru Ji then said "However you want us to dispose your body we will do so, and we will make sure to place a memorial grave where your ashes lay". Mardana Ji knew a memorial grave was not according to Gurmat and responded. There is no need for a memorial grave. My body is the grave and the bricks are my soul. Sri Guru Ji then said "Mardana , then pehaps you want your body to be creamated according to the Brahmin tradition. Very well we will put your ashes in the river" Mardna Ji said " Guru Ji burn my body as you wish and place it as you wish. But just be merciful and recite your beautiful bani through the entire process.

On the day of departure Bhai Mardana Ji told Sri Guru Ji he was already to depart. Sri Guru Ji then responded " How would you like to leave?" Bhai Mardana Ji gave a remarkable response! Bhai Sahib said "when the breaths in my navel are untied estimate how many new breaths are remaining before departure. As Mardana Jis navel was untied, Sri Guru estimated how many new breaths were remaning before depature . Bhai Mardana Jis body started becoming cool and Sri Guru Ji placed his hand on Mardana Jis body. At this point there were no more breaths remaining in Mardana, and thus Bhai Sahib departed to Sach Khand. When Gurmukhs leave this world their swas ascends to the tenth gate and no more breaths remain in the body, but when a Manmukh dies their breath descends downwards and the breath gets stuck in the lower gate . The place where food comes out of our body. Such people are either reborn or they face punishment in a horrifying hell. Bhai Rama Singh Ji mentions how the Jaam Doots have the beat the persons body so the breaths come out. Many Singhs mentions how Bhai Sahib also took his navel breath to the dasam duaar as he departed this world.

After Mardana Jis physical departrure, Sri Guru Ji then started with the praises of Sri Akal Purakh ( kirtan) . Sri Guru Ji then washed Bhai Mardana Jis body thoroughly. Bhai Bala Ji and Sri Guru Ji then wrapped Bhai Mardana Jis body in a clean cloth three times securely, and Bhai Bala Ji then placed the body on a pile of wood. Sri Guru Ji with his own hands then lit the body.

Many people will interpret the sakhi to mean it doesnt matter what happens to the body when it dies. Others like myself will interpret the sakhi to mean the body should simply be disposed of according to Gurmat and there should be some level of satkar to the body. Which interpretation is right? Who knows? Traditionally in all religions, the body has still be treated with deceny and respect after it expiration. However, In the 21st century we live in a new age the age of medicine and technology. Many people say we have the technology to save another persons life if we become organ donors. Again I dont know how to reconcile with traditional religion and modern medicine. I think most modern day Gursikh will say its a personal choice, while I think Bibekee Singhs have a preference for the traditional route according to Gurmat.
April 16, 2013 11:05PM
Another way of looking at the matter. If a Gurmukh is departing from this world and a blind person comes to him/her and says, 'Dear sir, I am blind since my childhood and have longed to see again. You are leaving this world, please donate your eye to me upon your death so that I may see again. I shall be inexpressibly obliged and thankful to you', what might the response of the Gurmukh be?
April 17, 2013 09:09AM
eyesacademic Wrote:
> Another way of looking at the matter. If a Gurmukh
> is departing from this world and a blind person
> comes to him/her and says, 'Dear sir, I am blind
> since my childhood and have longed to see again.
> You are leaving this world, please donate your eye
> to me upon your death so that I may see again. I
> shall be inexpressibly obliged and thankful to
> you', what might the response of the Gurmukh be?

The crows have searched my skeleton, and eaten all my flesh.
kaagaa karang tantoliaa sagalaa khaaeiaa maas |

But please do not touch these eyes; I hope to see my Lord. ||91||
eae dhue nainaa math shuho pir dhaekhan kee aas |91|

I think sheikh farid ji is asking not to touch his eyes as long as he is alive so that he could have darshan of parmatma at his last moment... One thing to be noted that fareed ji says that crow has eaten all his body flesh but this does not bother him... the only time we respect someone is when the soul of a person is in the body... But when soul departs body is nothing but just sand... So i think we should not give extra attention to that... Instead we should try to make our jeevan safal by doing bhagti...

How does the puppet of clay dance?
maattee ko putharaa kaisae nachath hai |

But in my personal views i would like to donate my body parts because as long as i was alive i could not help anyone.. I would be happy if i could be the reason for someone else happiness.. Guru sahib says:-

When a man dies, he is of no use to anyone.
naroo marai nar kaam n aavai |

But when an animal dies, it is used in ten ways. ||1||
pasoo marai dhas kaaj savaarai |1|

I would be happy if i could help anyone...

Bhul chuk muaf..
April 19, 2013 08:57AM
Love this shabad.
April 26, 2013 05:15PM
If organ donation is acceptable why is it necessary then that when one dies their body is to be washed with the recitation of the Japji Sahib paat, the body is to be put in fresh clothes, they are to be adorned in the 5 Kakaar and then oncethe body is cremated the ashes are to be taken to Kiratpur Sahib Gurdwara? If the body is of no importance why are we required according to rehit to undertake so much preparation?

Also I read that Sant Baba Harnaam Singh Ji asked for his ashes to be placed under the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. If the body after death had no significance why would a Sant of such high caliber make such a request?
April 27, 2013 07:59AM
Learner Wrote:
> Also I read that Sant Baba Harnaam Singh Ji asked
> for his ashes to be placed under the Sri Guru
> Granth Sahib Ji. If the body after death had no
> significance why would a Sant of such high caliber
> make such a request?

mahapurakh's have alot of bhagti and load's of nimarta... I think to show his love for guru granth sahib ji sant ji may have said those words in nimarta representing he wanted to serve guru even after he left his body or may be he was trying to tell others that he is still lower than guru granth sahib ji... (personal views)

Organs do not constitute a body But the soul... If the karams did by departing one in his life are not good for ex aurangzeb... no one ask about them when they die...

But When a gursikh completes his earthly life all the cremation ceremony takes place to show their love for the departed soul... And to show the respect to the seva/karam he dis in his life...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login