ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favourite survival recipes

Posted by sk 
Favourite survival recipes
March 30, 2013 08:00AM
Sangat jee,

What is your favourite simple bibeki recipe that has helped you get through your hungriest days as a bibeki?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The peach from "James and the Giant Peach".
Banana, milk and nuts, I believe are best friends of Bibekis followed by Pinnee prepared out of Alsi or Khoya and of course a lots of nuts mixed in it.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Sahib i was going to say the same thing....Banana, badam, and milk...most of the time mixed together as juice
if in dyer need of a meal....kicharee
Kicharee is something you ONLY eat when you're bamaar. Hehe!!
Best thing to make is Karha, especially if you do not have access to milk.

Papeeta is the best survival fruit though. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ate one a day for a very long time in jail and was able to sustain himself on just that and Naam.

Preetam Singh
Desi badam (bhujai hoye sholay)
Re: Favourite survival recipes
March 31, 2013 01:42PM
I guess I'm the only one who uses non-desi survival food.

I've read that the Aztecs used to sustain themselves on a teaspoon of chia seeds a day when going on long journeys. I don't know how true that is, but they're supposedly extremely good for you, so I usually add them to smoothies. They kept me going for three months when I had no time to cook proper meals.

The one meal that's been a life-saver for me is quinuoa. Hehe. I always tell people about it. It is another food from South America. The ancient Incans were powerful warriors, and quinuoa was a central staple to their diet. Usually when I come home from school in the evening I don't have time to make a big meal, and I don't like eating heavy too late either, so I just wash some quinuoa, add boiling water, bring to a simmer and cover for twenty to thirty minutes. After that I like to pour it with some pre-boiled milk from my fridge, add some honey, and maybe some sliced bananas. I love it - it tastes really good, and fills me up nicely before I sleep.

Amritvela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kicharee is something you ONLY eat when you're
> bamaar. Hehe!!

Amritvela jee, Bhai Gurman Singh is famous for his khicheree... so I'm sure if it's good for non-bimaar people too winking smiley
Amritvela Wrote:
> Kicharee is something you ONLY eat when you're
> bamaar. Hehe!!

ਜਿਨਿ ਇਹ ਚਾਖੀ ਸੋਈ ਜਾਣੈ ਗੂੰਗੇ ਕੀ ਮਿਠਿਆਈ
Green Smoothies are the best survival food. Not only does it cover your fruit and veggie intake for the day, it also fills you up like a regular meal would. Also avocados cut in half with a bit salt and pepper are filling, healthy, and yummy too. Avocados can also be blended in with milk and sugar for a filling shake, but it's very fattening. Besan or Besan Laddoo made in lots of Gheo and badam are a go to food too. Eating two-three pieces of those with warm milk definitely keeps you full for sometime. And for the hungriest days having Bananas, milk, nuts, khichree, quinuoa, or Daliyaa are good.
potatoes are a must have staple for a bibeki. They can be baked, boiled, fried, sauteed, and can even be mixed with atta to make aloo dey paraunthey. They are probably the most versatile vegetable, and perfect for a bibeki.
Gur, Kale-Chhole, Chia (Haven't tried it), "missi" roti, with enough water (or access to it from natural sources) will serve best for survival in "operational/war-like/emergency" conditions, where one may not have the access to vegetables, fruits and dairy products. While the food suggested by others may be "Bibeki" but when survival is the issue, one may not have time to prepare or procure it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

MNP
Re: Favourite survival recipes
April 03, 2013 11:23AM
AnokhKaur Wrote:
> Green Smoothies are the best survival food. Not
> only does it cover your fruit and veggie intake
> for the day, it also fills you up like a regular
> meal would.

Hahah bhenjee I was wondering when you'd mention smoothies! Since you mentioned it, here's the chart bhenjee shared with me, for those who don't know what a smoothie is:

(click for larger version)

Another thing that helped me along with smoothies during that summer were potatoes, like Roop Kaur bhenjee mentioned. The easiest meal is baked potato wedges. All you need is potatoes, salt, pepper, oil, a bata, and 30 minutes in a toaster oven. Very yummy too.

I also agree with Preetam Singh about karaah, but someone told me about an even better alternative. I don't remember what it's called, but you replace water with milk and make it into a kind of pudding. It sounds so good I'm going to try it soon.

MahNalayakPurush, there's a way to make praunthey without water and with very little preparation required - using avocados!! You simply gun the atta by mashing in avocado into the flour.

Avocados have seriously become a staple food for me. Like Anokh Kaur bhenjee mentioned, you can put them in smoothies, or you can eat them raw with salt and pepper. They can also be blended with bananas and cocoa powder to make pudding, or frozen to make ice cream; they are also a very easy item for making chutney, achaar, or dips. They are great for making salads, and even better used as a spread on bread. You can even grill them on sandwiches, eat them baked, etc etc. I've even used them to bake cookies when I have run out of gheo! Along with bananas, they are one of the most versatile and useful fruits for a bibeki.
I think it's usually best to keep some snack-type foods, like cookies/muffins/granola bars etc., made at all times. But in situations where I haven't had anything on hand to give me enough energy to make a full meal, I usually opt for soojhee di kheer/kaRaa with badaam. I also have to agree with Roop Kaur bhainjee in that potatoes are very versatile and easy to work with.
Daliaa (not sure what it is called in English) is also a quick great remedy for hunger. It's one of my favorite dishes! smiling smiley
Great point Sewakji, Dalia fast and easy to make but its hard to eat lots of.
Tun shraarti hogeya boht aj kal oye Gurman Singha
ਪਰਮਹੰਸ ਜੀਓ, ਬਹੁਤ ਦੇਰ ਹੋਈ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਕੋਈ ਆਰਿਫਾਨਾ ਕਲਾਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਿਖਿਆ। ਸੋ ਹੁਣ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਕੁਝ ਤਸਵੁਫ ਨਾਲ ਭਰਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਆਪਣਾ ਕਲਾਮ ਲਿਖੋ ਤਾਂ ਅਸੀਂ ਨਿਹਾਲ ਹੋ ਜਾਈਏ।

ਹਾਂ ਇਹ ਗਲ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਚੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਗੁਰਮਨ ਸਿਘ ਬਹੁਤ ਸ਼ਰਾਰਤੀ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ।
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login