ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Walk a mile in a Sikh’s Dastaar Thursday at University of Guelph

Posted by Amritvela 
Walk a mile in a Sikh’s turban Thursday at University of Guelph

Preetam Singh, 20, describes his religious conviction as a love affair with God. The University of Guelph student is helping to organize the Sikh Students' Association's Sikh Awareness Day on Thursday. Non-Sikhs will get the opportunity to experience what it is like to wear turban.

Rob O'Flanagan/Mercury staff

GUELPH—A Sikh’s turban, or dastar, is a symbol of religious devotion and a mark of personal courage. It and other elements of customary Sikhi dress distinguish followers of the religion from others in Canadian society, and that distinction is not without challenges.

The Sikh Student Association at the University of Guelph will hold a Sikh Awareness Day on Thursday, giving non-Sikhs an opportunity to experience what it is like to wear a turban. The event is patterned after others on Canadian campuses aimed at familiarizing Canadians with Sikh beliefs and inviting them to experience both the highs and lows of wearing the dastar.

Preetam Singh, 20, was a striking figure over the weekend on the U of G campus, wearing flowing dark bana—traditional attire—with his high, dark blue dastar covering his uncut hair, and a kirpan—dagger—strapped to this hip.

“As soon as I walk in a room I have people’s attention,” Singh said. “It gives me the opportunity to teach people something about my faith.”

The Sikhi way of life, he added, has timeless and holistic qualities. While the rules, ethics and customs of society are constantly changing, the teachings of the faith remain stable.

His religion, he said, is a love affair, and one he entered into of his own volition at the age of 13.

“I think of it as falling in love,” said the U of G history student. “You don’t choose who you fall in love with, or when you are going to fall in love. You have no power over it. I never thought that I was going to be as religious as I am now.”

As with other religions, Sikhs strive to be constantly mindful of the presence of God in their day-to-day lives. It’s a devotional ambition to which Singh is committed.

“Everyday is a challenge to make yourself better,” he said. “It’s never good enough. You always have to work for something more, to try harder and strive for higher ideals. Ideals are perfection and we are imperfect as human beings.”

Being easily identifiable as an adherent to a particular faith, he said, puts an onus of responsibility upon a Sikh.

“As a Sikh I know that people know immediately that I am different, that I am religious,” he said. “If someone knows that I am a Sikh then I am representing the Sikh faith. All my actions represent the Sikh faith—what I say, what I do, how I act. It gives you a lot of responsibility, and I have to really strive to put the Sikh faith in a better light.”

Sikhs do face overt discrimination because of their appearance, Singh said. Mass media, he said, has associated the wearing of a turban with perpetrators of terrorist acts, and that negative and unfair association has been applied to Sikhs.

“I think it is very important for us to propagate the wearing of the turban, and to have people know the difference between the Sikh religion and other religions, and why we wear a turban,” Singh said. “It is a show of peace.”

The Sikh religion—the term Sikhism is not proper—began in the late 1400s in the Punjab region of India. It has no clergy. The faith promotes the equality of all human beings, social justice, the removal of superstition and blind ritual from religious life, earning an honest living, and circumventing worldly desires and sin.

There are about 20 million Sikhs worldwide, and it is estimated there are more than 300,000 in Canada. To be a part of the Khalsa, or collective body of the faith, one must wear five kakars, or articles of faith, on their person, including uncut hair, a wooden comb, a metal bracelet, special cotton undergarments, and the dagger.

Thursday’s Sikh Awareness Day, sponsored by the Sikh Student Association, runs throughout the day in the University Centre and is a chance to “walk in the shoes of a Sikh for one day.”

roflanagan@guelphmercury.com

[www.guelphmercury.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Awesome !! Guru Sahib Kirpa Karn, The ones who have lost their identities by loosing their Dastaar understands the meaning of it and adopts it back.
this is what every student up and down across every uni should be doing - wicked!!! well done
I heard that the Dastar day was a grand success at Guelph University today. I urge the Sevadaars to post a report on how people reacted to Dastar day and how the whole event went. I heard that over 300 people, non Sikhs, tried out Dastar and that there was a lot of enthusiasm among people to try out Dastar. If possible, post some pictures as well. I think such events should be organized at other places as well, to bring out awareness about Sikhi.

Kulbir Singh
ਚੜ੍ਹਦੀਕਲਾ ਵਿੱਚ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਵੈਲੀ ਪੁੱਤ ਸਰਦਾਰਾਂ ਦੇ spinning smiley sticking its tongue out cool smiley
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard that the Dastar day was a grand success at
> Guelph University today. I urge the Sevadaars to
> post a report on how people reacted to Dastar day
> and how the whole event went. I heard that over
> 300 people, non Sikhs, tried out Dastar and that
> there was a lot of enthusiasm among people to try
> out Dastar. If possible, post some pictures as
> well. I think such events should be organized at
> other places as well, to bring out awareness about
> Sikhi.
>
> Kulbir Singh

The event went really well for our first time. It was modeled after the SADs that have been held by other universities for many years now. Waterloo University had theirs on the same day. We had only a handful of organizers, but we managed to have some great display boards set up with hundreds of brochures answering common questions like, "Why do Sikhs wear dastaars?"; "Do Sikhs bow to a book?"; and "Do Sikh believe in violence or peace?". If anyone wants a pdf of these brochures for their own events, please send me a private message.

Some Singhs also brought in a huge banner on Sikhs in WWI and WWII, which hung from one end of the foyer to the other, with the words "Sikhi Day" and bright blue and yellow letters hanging above it.

But most of the parchaar happened by interacting with the people who came to tie dastaars. Almost everyone tying dastaars was in cholay and kurtay. All our dastaars were blue, yellow, or white. Whenever we asked anyone how much they knew about Sikhi, almost everyone responded with "Almost nothing", so we talked to them about our bana and why we wear it, what qualities it symbolizes, etc.; we explained to them about our kirpans and the concept of miri-piri, and our long martial history of protecting others; and we talked to them about our devotion to Guru Sahib and how everything we do - from (both men and women )wearing dastaars, to (both men and women) keeping kes - is all due to the our love for Satguru. We commonly told people, "Sikhi is all love".

Many people did show interest in the things we told them. One girl described our whole emphasis on equality as being "Very empowering." I told another individual that unlike other religions we believe we have to seek out God in this life and not when we die, and he said, "I believe the same thing!" He also loved the idea of kirtan.

Kirtan was another thing that drew people in. One of our keertanis struck up a new friendship with a random passerby when the random gora started doing tabla as our keertani sung "Kar kirpa har naam divayo"... truly, may Guru Sahib bless this individual with naam and gursikhi one day!

All in all, a good event. I will add pictures later, but I'm having technical difficulties. What's the easiest way to transfer a large number of photos from your iPod to your computer??
sk
What's the easiest way to transfer a large number of photos from your iPod to your computer??

Just plug it up to your PC via USB port and access it as Mass-Storage device (close the iTune software if it pops-up). Then it is just a matter of Copy-Paste. This is how it works for me, at least.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Vaheguru Jee!

We just uploaded the video from the event. Enjoy!

Amazing video. Thanks for sharing

Kulbir Singh
not to criticize good job and all but im surprised there isnt Keertan playing with that video, I may download the footage and upload it myself if nobody objects. Were these people allowed to take the Dastaars home?
Shaheed jeeo,

That is a very good idea to have Keertan playing rather than the audio is there now. The Singh who was in charge of making the video made it with this audio and I guess we just didn't realize that we should have Keertan instead. We will try to make the changes and reupload it.

You are more than welcome to upload it yourself as well.

We allowed people to take the Dastaars and wear them for the day as long as they promised to not smoke or drink while wearing the Dastaar. They were also asked to treat it with utmost respect and that when they do take it off it open it by each lar and treat the Dastaar with lots of satkaar.

All of the people who got Dastaars tied were very enthusiastic to wear them all day and it was actually a great sight to see so many random people walking around campus with Dastaars. A lot of people came to get Dastaars just because they saw someone in their class or on campus wearing one, so it had a great effect.

I was tying a Dastaar on one Chinese student and when I told him how the Dastaar is a crown for Sikhs he was very humbled and after I was done tying it, he gave me a hug and was almost at tears. He said that this is the greatest gift anyone has ever given him and that he was honored to be able to wear a Dastaar and represent Sikhi.

Preetam Singh
Great work! Keep it up Bhai Preetam Singh Jio.

I was tying a Dastaar on one Chinese student and when I told him how the Dastaar is a crown for Sikhs he was very humbled and after I was done tying it, he gave me a hug and was almost at tears.

Bhai Sahib Jio I can say you must have felt the Vismadic anand after hearing this. Guru Sahib’s Taaz is so precious that whoever wears it feels the difference. From personnel experience of doing this seva for past decade or so I feel a rewarding anand which is unexplainable when hear compliments about Dastaar. This is the part which attracts Daas to do this seva. In fact today we are going to yet another School for presentation and Dastaar demo.

Daas encourage everyone to take a time off from your work and contribute to this Panthic Parchaar. You will see the difference it makes.

With Regards,
Jasjit Singh
Leave the music in the background as it is, it's good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login