ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A consistent Amrit Vela

Posted by KaurUK 
A consistent Amrit Vela
February 22, 2013 05:50AM
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

Please give me some advice.

I received Amrit in 2011 and have not been able to make my Amrit Vela consistent since then. There'll be days after rainsbhais etc where I feel boosted and I get up for Amrit Vela for the next few days. That love slowly dwindles away and I find myself back into the same problems as always.

Going to sleep early, getting someone to ring you at AV, or using other tactics to make yourself wake up- that's all fine and good, but I've realised you won't actually get up unless you have an inner desire to do so. Shamefully I'll admit that sometimes I'll wake up but go back to sleep because I don't feel any joy in the prospect of getting up and doing Nitnem.

Please, help me change. I don't want the love for Gurbani and Simran to come and go so often; I want it to be a consistent thing. What do you tell yourself when you get up? How do you do it? Please guide me too.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: A consistent Amrit Vela
February 22, 2013 05:09PM
The best answer to this question is one that is simple yet noone wants to hear. I will tell you, like many i know, no matter what how many alarms you set, how early you go to bed, how many tricks you try, without keeping full rehit it will always become difficult to wakeup for amritvela. Those who do not keep full rehit and have strict amritvela are a rarity. This means the obvious abstaining from Bujjar Kureits, giving daswand, five kakkars, and Sarbloh. Many people follow all these rehits except for Sarbloh, and if you ask anyone who has kept Sarbloh Bibek they will tell you amritvela became much more consistent, if not permanently consistent.
February 22, 2013 05:23PM
What I have found with personal experience is that whenever there is a day I will get to do a lot of Paath it becomes easy to wake up the next day. Almost automatically Guru Sahib wakes you up and makes you Jap Naam with incredible focus.

Making our daily Nitnem include more Banian and a certain amount of daytime Abhiyaas as well helps a lot in increasing our love and utshah. Being able to wake up at Amritvela is a product of our love and our thirst to meet Vaheguru. So if you feel that you are sometimes losing this love, then it is very important to make yourself want Vaheguru more. The only way to inspire love of Vaheguru is to read Gurbani and repeat Vaheguru's name.

By hearing our beloved's name more and more, it will automatically make us long him even more. Hearing his Gun in Gurbani will make us fall in love all over again, and we will be dying to wake up for Amritvela to Jap some Naam.

It is very important for serious seekers of Vaheguru to do more Bani in their Nitnem than just Punj Banian, because this will foster more love and thirst for Vaheguru's milaap and lead to overall chardikala.

Preetam Singh
KaurUK Jeeo,

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa
VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

Here are dass' two cents worth.

1. One has to fall in LOVE.

(a) In daas' view true love is devoid of expectations (in all relationships). If we are doing Amrit Vela with some expectations and hoping to receive some fruits in retun then love is likely to dwindle.

(b) When in love, there is joyful longing to meet the Preetam; Pita; Parmeshwar (P).

(c) When in love everything appears to be beautiful. You experience bliss. Life is guilt-less. Admit all the follies and shortcomings to him and move on. 'Chinta' is 'Chitah'.

(d) Your daily activities,conversation, discussions and thoughts are about your P.

2. In daas' experience, reciting KIRTAN SOHILA prior to sleeping attributes to good sleep and early awakening by the grace of Vahe Guru.

P.S.

Other day, daas had a 'Gora' in the store and we were praising GOD. During the conversation, the 'Gora' mentioned that between the hours of 12 at night and dawn, GOD likes to talk with his disciples/children. Concept of Amrit Vela is acknowledged by the seekers all over the world, irrespective of country or religion.

Seeking the company of people who are in pursuit of 'Sach' is most desireable. At times our so called near and dear ones may inadvertently de-rail us. Got be steadfast.

Disclaimer: Daas does not have a rich experience on the path of Sikhi and the views above are solely based on the blissful life being enjoyed by daas in the past few months.
February 23, 2013 03:55PM
In addition to the above tips, you can also try keeping a copy of Jail Chityan or Rangley Sajjan on your night table and read a little bit every night before going to sleep (obviously don't stay up too late). These books are totally inspiring and may really help motivate you to wake up and do your bhagti! If you don't have access to hard copies, they are also available on many websites. Go to the Message Board Index of Subjects and scroll down to the heading, "Books".

Also, amritvela can get very dull if you are doing nothing but panj-bani nitnem and then going back to sleep. Even if you are also doing naam abhiyaas, it can get dull when you're on your own. Try your best to find sangat to do naam abhiyaas with. And make amritvela a time to engage more with gurbani. There are so many fun things you can do during amritvela, that will reap huge rewards! You can do extra gurbani paath for one thing, but you can also write gurbani (try starting a project to eventually write a nitnem gutka) and you can do keertan too - there's no better time then amritvela to do har jas!

And make an effort to go get darshan of Guru Sahib every amritvela. We should always go to Guru Sahib's darbaar every morning to get darshan, and do ardaas to thank Guru Sahib for all his gifts to us. Plus, if you know you have to be at a certain place by a certain time every morning, it really helps to push you to wake up. If you had a night shift and had to be at work by 3 am everyday, you'd definitely make sure you got out of bed.

Finally, find a strategy that helps you get up. You can try the following (which I've done and have helped me):

1 - Place different alarm clocks in different locations around the house, so you're forced to get out of bed and run to each one to turn it off
2 - Excersize everyday so that by evening you are tired enough to fall asleep early
3 - Prepare yourself several hours before bedtime so that you're ready to sleep asap - sleep's really important for us mortals

Of course, at the end of the day, amritvela is impossible without Guru Sahib's kirpa. Even the prem you are wishing you had can only come by the kirpa of Guru Sahib. All we can do is beg, and try to please Guru Sahib enough that he let's our hearts fill up with that love. How do we do that? Doing ardaas, keeping rehit, doing seva of sangat, doing udham (effort), and of course japping more naam and doing much more gurbani abhiyaas, are all ways we can get the kirpa of Guru Sahib.

Amritvela is very necessary for Gursikhs. We are unworthy for Guru Sahib's gifts, but Guru Sahib is compassionate and rewards sincere effort.
February 24, 2013 10:50AM
Bhenji have to pesh among guru sahib only guru sahib solve your problem, bhul chuk muaaf
dasin dass.
February 25, 2013 12:24PM
Beautiful tips above - here's a few more slightly off topic but will do the trick to any habit change -- let us know how it goes:

With respect to goals, projects, and other to-do items, it’s easy to get stuck too long in the thinking and planning phase. You can sit around writing and rewriting your goals, delving into your subconscious mind, working through emotional blocks, summoning the power of Thor… whatever. But if you don’t eventually get into action, you’re wasting your time.

How can you get into a sustainable mode of direct action without feeling like you have to torture yourself to get moving? What can you do to cross the barrier between merely thinking about what you want and actually making it happen with your own two hands?

Here’s a simple technique I use. This has worked very well for me when I’ve applied it. It usually takes only 5-10 minutes.

Thought waves

Imagine your thoughts as energy waves that radiate out into the cosmos and then reflect back to you. If your thoughts are chaotic, the waves will interfere with each other, so you probably won’t even notice them. But if you put a lot of energy into a single coherent thought, the reflected wave will be strong enough that you’ll feel it in your body. At this point you can actually “surf” the wave. When you’re surfing your own reflected thought waves, you’re in a state of direct action, but it feels effortless. Instead of pushing yourself to act, you’re riding a wave of energy that is actually pushing you.

It isn’t difficult to create a strong thought wave and then ride it. You do this all the time whenever a powerful thought takes hold of you. For example, when you become really angry, it can be harder to stop yourself than to ride that anger into action. Or when you get a song stuck in your head, you may have a hard time preventing yourself from singing it out loud.

You can also create these thought waves consciously and deliberately. Then you can ride their energy to complete many tasks very quickly. You’ll enjoy it too.

How to create and ride thought waves

Sit quietly in a place where you won’t be distracted. Take a few deep breaths to clear your mind. Now identify whatever goal you’d like to work on. Maybe it’s something simple like organizing your workspace or writing a school paper. Or it could be something more complicated like creating a web site for a new online business, moving to a new city, or doubling your income. All you need is a clear, specific, measurable goal, but you don’t need a plan of action at this point.

Now just sit and think about what you want. Imagine this goal becoming real. Let yourself daydream, but try to stay conscious as you do it. Explore the goal in your mind. Think about it actually happening, but don’t physically try to do anything yourself yet.

For example, if your goal is to switch to a new career, then imagine yourself in that new career right now. Think about what it would be like to actually do that kind of work. Picture yourself doing the work and enjoying it. See the people you’re working with, and hold imaginary conversations with them.

Usually within 5-10 minutes, these positive thoughts build up so much energy in my body that I’m itching to do something. At first it feels good just to think about the goal, but eventually I start to feel a tension to get into motion. I can feel the thought energy reflecting back to me. Now it’s time to pull out the virtual surfboard and catch the wave.

This is essentially a process of arousal. If you think about sex for a little while, your body will physically respond. Blood will flow to different body parts, for example. If you hold those thoughts long enough, you’ll start feeling a compulsion to act on those feelings. Maybe you’ll have to take care of yourself or go jump your partner.

You can create a similar type of arousal when fantasizing about your goals. Within a few minutes, you should be noticing different physical sensations in your body – IF your goal is attractive enough to you. Extra blood may even flow to your brain and muscles, preparing you for action.

Once you start feeling that positive tension in your body, stop and ask yourself this question:

What can I do right now to make this goal a reality?

As you ask this question, hold the expectation that the answer will be something simple that can be done in 30 minutes or less.

Whatever reasonable answer pops into your head, accept it and act on it immediately. At this point you should find it very easy to take action — it would be harder to procrastinate. Do you procrastinate on sex when you’re physically aroused?

Now you’ve caught the energy wave. The next trick is to ride it as far as you can before it eventually dissipates.

Get that simple task done as quickly as you can. Sometimes you’ll flow effortlessly into another task. But if you don’t know what to do next, that’s no problem. Just stop again and ask yourself:

What can I do right now to make this goal a reality?

Accept whatever idea comes to you next, and get it done. Keep repeating this question and taking action for as long as you can. I’ll usually go about 2-4 hours without a break, sometimes much longer. In this state I can quickly plow through many different tasks. It feels good too.

It may take a little practice to build up the energy in your body and then release it gradually. Your ability to use this technique will surely improve over time.

I often use this process when writing new articles. I focus on the goal, swirl it around in my mind, and build up the energy for a few minutes. Then when I can’t remain still any longer, I ride the resulting wave and let my fingers start typing.

Give this simple technique a try, and allow your own thought waves to drive you into action.
February 26, 2013 07:28AM
Unfortunately I am not an Amrit Dhari and nor am I blessed with being able to keep a strict Rehat. But I am blessed enough to be awoken by the almighty at Amrit Vela to do my Nitnem. Although I don’t wake up consistently throughout the week/month I felt it would be useful to share my experience and how I overcome my mental blocks on the days I am able to wake up, as someone who is still a far cry from being a true Sikh.

One of the most valuable tips given to me by an Amrit Dhari aunti ji was the following: She said that the minute your alarm clock goes off DO NOT THINK ABOUT GOING BACK TO SLEEP. Get out bed straight away! The minute your mind starts to wonder is the moment you will begin to persuade yourself and justify going back to sleep....and I am sure I don’t need to tell you that it only takes a split second to persuade yourself to do that at 4am in the morning. As Aunti ji quite rightly put it- when you go back to sleep 'kaljug' has taken over and won'. I tell myself that I am stronger than 'Kaljug' and I will not let it defeat me, which normally helps me jump out of bed with out a second thought.

Secondly, I read inspirational stories/ books. I lack an immense amount of knowledge and understanding about Sikhism so I find even the shortest and simplest of stories enlightening. The other day my husband was telling me about the 3rd Guru Ji and how they did seva for a lengthy period of time carrying water on their back everyday until the age of 73 when they eventually became Guru. My immediate thought was that the Guru went through so much pain staking effort and worked extremely hard to please the 2nd Guru - am I so useless and helpless that I cant even dedicate a mere hour in the morning to please my Guru and Waheguru? This story motivated me to wake up at 4am and do my Nitnem

In reference to some of the above tips such as from MahNalayakPursh and ns44- for someone like myself who lacks knowledge of Sikhi, waking up at Amrit Vela out of sheer love can be difficult, as sadly (although the appreciation is) the understanding of gurbani is not always there. So doing Nitnem at Amrit Vela can seem like a chore. Trying to think positive thoughts can be very difficult when you don’t have a full understanding and appreciation of its value, strength and benefit. Please don’t misinterpret what I have just said; it is by no means a criticism of your views. I am merely sharing my personal opinion and hoping you will understand the difficulties confronted by one who is still has alot to learn.
February 26, 2013 10:58AM
>
> One of the most valuable tips given to me by an
> Amrit Dhari aunti ji was the following: She said
> that the minute your alarm clock goes off DO NOT
> THINK ABOUT GOING BACK TO SLEEP. Get out bed
> straight away! The minute your mind starts to
> wonder is the moment you will begin to persuade
> yourself and justify going back to sleep...

The best tip of all above - chuck the rajaeee away - soon as u hear the alarm clock- think of Kalgidar Mahraaj when he mentioned" Tudh bin roog rajaiaaan daa udoon" excuse my spelling- please correct.
May 24, 2013 02:28PM
oh one thing i totally forgot - we all want amrit vela however :

what is our normal day like - are we behaving in a sikh way - i.e. limiting ones food intake , not over eating, not over talking, not listening to nindyia, not looking too much , i.e on other pryia roop or listening to nindyia.

one's nature should be like ice cold - especailly on the emotional side EQ = EMOTIONAL intellgence needs to be of the highest order.

I say this becasue if one changes this daily outlook in life - you're almost guarnteed to rise at amritvela without fail like the sun!!

Forcing via alarm and doing amritvela is one thing but - bringing about daily habitual changes is another thing altogether and a real boost.
May 26, 2013 06:41AM
Sarbloh
May 27, 2013 09:51PM
Bhaen ji,
First thing it seems is that waking up is not an issue, it is only to get your mind attuned to Guru Sahib/Simran. All you need is that as soon as you wake up, just assume/feel (actually true) that Guru Sahib is watching you. When you have that feeling, you automatically will do what Guru Sahib wants you to do and what you waked up for.

Try what Preetam Singh ji mentioned as well.

Good luck!
May 28, 2013 02:02AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Sarbloh solved my Amritvela, after I read Bhai Kulbir Singh advice about using only Sarbloh for heating stored food...i tried everything else but bibek has been Guru's blessing for me...do not even need alarm.
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Waheguru ji ka khalsa,Waheguru ji kee fateh !!

Can someone advice on my situation here-- I am working odd hours (from 05:30pm - 02:30am) & try to do amritwela nitnem in office but due to tiring schedule, missing it oftenly. Also, not able to attend amritwela at home if I missed in office (due to much fatigue).

I'm searching for job since long but my profile(Network Engineering) usually includes odd-working hours.

Daas
Jatinder Singh
May 30, 2013 06:07PM
sikh_learner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru ji ka khalsa,Waheguru ji kee fateh !!
>
> Can someone advice on my situation here-- I am
> working odd hours (from 05:30pm - 02:30am) & try
> to do amritwela nitnem in office but due to tiring
> schedule, missing it oftenly. Also, not able to
> attend amritwela at home if I missed in office
> (due to much fatigue).
>
> I'm searching for job since long but my
> profile(Network Engineering) usually includes
> odd-working hours.
>
>
> Daas
> Jatinder Singh

same as me sir - i go home after finishing work at 700 am - sleep 6 hours get up and do amritvela - i used to do nitnem during the night but it wasn't the same till i found that by actually sleeping and getting up - the effect was different. This was also the advise of the panj and it's the best advise.- my mindset almost the same as i was doing amrit vela.
However nothing can miss a day job - i've been working on that for 8 years - trying to change the carrer while working is not easy at all, easy said though!
May 31, 2013 11:24PM
Sikh leaner should teach skill in school, and enjoy short daylight work hours, and long vacation during school break; where I was a substitute in high school south of buffalo, Springville, NY, knew a faculty member whose was assisting students in technology computer class in library ji..
here is excellent keertan about rewards of Amritvela by Guru Maharaj Himself....
[www.youtube.com]
ns44 ji,

Let me understand it correctly ji -- Panj sahibaans have suggested you to modify nitnem timings as you were not able to attend it on actual AMRITWELA hours... correct ji ?

Daas
June 03, 2013 01:56PM
100% - as i finish at 0700 in the morning - i come home do sohila goto sleep - get up after 6 hours not any more as this exceeds the normal sleep one needs for amritvela - if working days only- . and by doing so - rehraas for the evening is still - 6 hours away. The question was asked during amrit sanchar by a gurmukh pyara as i had not asked it myself - this was the answer.
Guru Fateh to All.

I have a question.

Which Vela is NOT Amrit Vela based on SGGS, our only Guru?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh
Much thanks for the reply Bhai ns44 jio...

Which Vela is NOT Amrit Vela based on SGGS, our only Guru?

Some people believe that any time you are engaged in serving Vaheguru through Naam or Gurbani, is Amritvela, This is true but there is a special place for early morning hours and these early morning hours or you can say the last quarter of the night, is reserved for Bhagti. In this thread, this early morning time is being referred to as Amritvela.

Kulbir Singh
June 05, 2013 03:07PM
Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh jee has quoted the following GurbaNee pangtee from the Chapter about Amritvela in GurmatBibek Book proving that the Vela in the early hours is Amritvela which all Sikhs should do.

ਚਉਥੈਪਹਰਿਸਬਾਹਕੈਸੁਰਤਿਆਉਪਜੈਚਾਉ||
In the fourth watch of the early morning hours, a longing arises in their higher consciousness

ਤਿਨਾਦਰੀਆਵਾਸਿਉਦੋਸਤੀਮਨਿਮੁਖਿਸਚਾਨਾਉ||
They are attuned to the river of life; the True Name is in their minds and on their lips.

The first pangti proves that the fourth peharaa is defined as Amritvela which come in the Sikh Maryada ,the times are between 12am - 5am.

I will upload the article.
Kulbir Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

Some people believe that any time you are engaged in serving Vaheguru through Naam or Gurbani, is Amritvela, This is true but there is a special place for early morning hours and these early morning hours or you can say the last quarter of the night, is reserved for Bhagti. In this thread, this early morning time is being referred to as Amritvela.

I beg to differ with your claim. It is not "Some people believe that any time you are engaged in serving Vaheguru through Naam or Gurbani, is Amritvela". It is the SGGS, our only Guru claims that.

Regards

Tejwant Singh
Tejwant Singh jeeo,

Are you saying that it is not Hukam for a Gursikh to wake up around 2 am to engage in recitation of Gurmantar and Nitnem Banian?

Please be clear as to which direction you taking this discussion in.

Preetam Singh
Preetam Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

Are you saying that it is not Hukam for a Gursikh to wake up around 2 am to engage in recitation of Gurmantar and Nitnem Banian?

Please be clear as to which direction you taking this discussion in.

My simple question still stands and I ask you the same question: What Vela- Time is NOT for Amrit according to SGGS, our only Guru and what does Amrit mean according to our only Guru?

Secondly, please elaborate what you mean by recitation? Is it mere parroting or studying Gurbani so that we can mine the gems that are in it to make ours and others' lives better?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh
Tejwant Singh jee,

Your question cannot be answered until you yourself answer my question.

The question still stands.

Preetam Singh
Preetam Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

Tejwant Singh jee,

Your question cannot be answered until you yourself answer my question.

The question still stands.

Preetam Singh

Sorry to disappoint you, but that was my only question in my initial post and it still stands. :-)

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh
June 06, 2013 10:11AM
RehitNama backing up Amritvela clearly stating Ambrosial hours which are before sunrise. This is Panth Pravaan and practiced by all Sikhs.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਰਹਿਤ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਹੇ ਮੀਤ ਪਰਭਾਤੇ ਉਠ ਕਰ ਹਿਤ ਚੀਤ ||
Listen Sikh of the Guru, to the code of discipline. Awake at the Ambrosial hours and focus your attention on the Lord.
Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee
June 06, 2013 10:26AM
Daas met a chardhi kala gursikhs few months back and the discussion around Amrit vela difficulty getting up etc came up. He gave a very interesting view point on this. He said those who say they can't get up at amritvela to do simran are generally not bothered of doing simran at other times also. He said anyone who says I can't get at amritvela for next few days try to do simran for 2-3 hours during the day in one sitting. It can be anytime of the day. You will automatically start getting up at amritvela if you follow this routine for few days. Most of the poople who complain abt not keeping amrit vela then miss the rest of the day as well and end up loosing the whole day.

We get lazy by missing amritvela and then just keep usinig this excuse that I am not able to keep my amritvela. Remember any time spent in the naam abhyaas is amritvela but those who can maintain the early morning Amrit vela are really blessed.

I beg to differ with your claim. It is not "Some people believe that any time you are engaged in serving Vaheguru through Naam or Gurbani, is Amritvela". It is the SGGS, our only Guru claims that.

When you disagree, it makes you liable to present evidence. Are you implying that since Gurbani says one must engage in Naam Simran 24/7, it negates the concept of Amrit Vela or getting up early in the morning to do Simran? My question is simply to understand what you are trying to say. It is better to explain using Gurbani what you mean and why you disagree. A statement without any evidence lacks conclusion, rationality and is most likely fallacious. So if you have grown tired of "Sikh Philosophy" forum and are looking for a new place to stir things up, might as well be honest and upfront about your viewpoint and then have a discussion. Guru Rakha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login