ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When Bhai Dukhi jee begged for Bhai Sahib's sewa

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
When Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee was in Hazaribagh (Bihar) jail, another Sikh prisoner lodged there was Bhai Munsha Singh Dukhi. Dukhi was the pen name of Bhai Munsha Singh jee. Dukhi jee was a poet of high caliber and he wrote many famous poems on subjects of Gurmat, freedom fighting against the British and in these poems he covered some incidents of historical importance.

The great poetic epic – Jyot Vigaas - written by Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee was in part a result of his poetic interactions with Dukhi jee.

When Dukhi jee came out of jail, he published the following 4 books:

Prem Taanga
Prem Baanga
Prem Kaanga
Jubli dee Gap-shap

Out of these books, one book – Prem Kaanga – was dedicated to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. There are many poems in this book that were inspired by Bhai Sahib jee.

--------------------Translated from the original text of Bhai Dukhi jee's own words--------------

Request for Bhai Sahib’s sewa when he was ill

In Hazari Bagh central jail, prisoners were suffering immensely for the sake of Dharma and country; their plight was worth seeing. Bhai Randhir Singh jee was very sick and all the companions sitting in their prison cells were doing Ardaas (prayer) before Vaheguru. The waves of love for Bhai Sahib were rising high in everyone’s heart. Since it was Sunday, we used to get permission to wash our clothes. In my heart a desire, a longing arose very strongly, to wash Shrimaan jee’s (Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee) clothes (since he could not wash them himself as he was sick) and this way make my hands pure by doing his sewa. But how should I beg for this sewa? Bhai Sahib seldom allows anyone to do his sewa (service). Then I wrote this Kabit and requested for the sewa of washing his Kachhera:

ਜੀਉ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੂ ਦਿਆਲੂ ਪਰ ਹਿਤ ਦੁਖ ਝਾਲੂ,
ਦੀਨਨ ਕੋ ਪਾਲੂ ਸੀਸ ਦੁੱਜਨ ਦਪਹਿਰਾ ਜੀ।

ਮਾਨਤਾ ਤਜੱਯਾ ਗੁਰ ਪਦ ਬਲ ਜੱਯਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ,
ਗੀਤਨ ਗਵੱਯਾ ਦੱਯਾ ਸਾਥਨ ਕੋ ਲਹਿਰਾ ਜੀ।

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਧਾਰੀ ਸਭ ਜਨ ਹਿਤਕਾਰੀ ਸਾਰੀ,
ਸੁੰਦ੍ਰ ਦੀਦਾਰੀ ਵਾਰੀ, ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੀ ਗਹਿਰਾ ਜੀ।

ਲਾਲਸਾ ਪੁਰੀਜੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਢੀਠਤਾਈ ਖਿਮਾ ਕੀਜੈ,
ਉਚਿਤ ਹਵੈ ਯੌ ਤੋ ਦੀਜੈ ਧੋਣ ਨੂੰ ਕਛਹਿਰਾ ਜੀ।

Sirimaan late Bhai Batan Singh jee Kahriwale was an extremely selfless Sevak (servant). He, to the best of his effort, never used to let go a chance to do Seva. That day, similar to Daas (Dukhi jee), Bhai Batan Singh too had begged from Bhai Sahib for sewa of washing his undershirt and Kachhera. He made the request before me and Bhai Randhir Singh jee judging his love, accepted his request. Now when I showed him the above written Kabit (poem), Bhai Sahib through a gesture, explained to me that washing clothes agreement had been done with Bhai Batan Singh jee.

The way, and in style with which this was said, this only Shrimaan jee (Bhai Sahib) could have said but it caused a wound (in a loving way) on my heart. Bhai Batan Singh jee’s sewa and Bhai Sahib’s promise or agreement to allow him this sewa and Bhai Sahib’s love came in front of my eyes and automatically, unwittingly my mouth uttered, “Dhan Sikh! Dhan Sikhi! I kept saying this many times.

-----------------------------------Translation Ends-------------------------------------------------

A poem by Dukhi jee when Bhai Sahib said "ਅਸਾਂ ਕੀ ਖੱਟਣਾ"

The heart of a poet is very delicate and soft. Many times such incidents or words cast an effect on the heart of a poet that don’t normally make any effect on the heart of a normal person. Once Bhai Sahib and Dukhi jee were doing some discussion on a Gurmat subject when Bhai Sahib in a very special way said, “ਅਸਾਂ ਕੀ ਖੱਟਣਾ”

The soft poetic heart of Dukhi jee was pierced and he wrote a poem on this, which is presented below for the benefit of the readers:

-----------------------------------------Translation Begins-------------------------------------------

“While having discussion with Siri maan, my extremely loving friend Bhai Randhir Singh jee, Siri jee unwittingly said, “ਅਸਾਂ ਕੀ ਖੱਟਣਾ“ (What are we going to gain?). Many waves of thoughts started rising with these pious words of Siri jee and the following poem came out as a result of this (a sample of the poem, not complete poem):

ਉੱਲੂ ਚੁਗਲ ਚੜਿੱਕ ਕਿ ਜਾਨਣ ਨੱਚਣਾ।
ਕੁਟਿਲ ਬਿਧਵਾ ਸਾਰ ਕਿ ਪੀ ਰੰਗ ਰੱਚਣਾ।
ਕਸਤੂਰੀ ਦਾ ਭਾਉ ਕਿ ਜਾਨਣ ਜੱਟਣਾ।
ਬਾਬਾ! ਮੈਂ ਕੀ ਜਾਣਾ ਸਾਰ ਅਸਾਂ ਕੀ ਖੱਟਣਾ।

ਬਾਲ ਬਧੂ ਕਿ ਸੁਹਾਗ ਹਾਰ ਗਲ ਘੱਤਣਾ।
ਮੂੜ੍ਹ ਕਿ ਜਾਣੇ ਸਾਰ ਪਟ ਕਿਵ ਕੱਤਣਾ।
ਪੱਥਰ ਪਾਣੀ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਭਾਵ ਕਿ ਬੱਟਣਾ।
ਬਾਬਾ! ਮੈਂ ਕੀ ਜਾਣਾ ਸਾਰ ਅਸਾਂ ਕੀ ਖੱਟਣਾ।

------------------------------Translation Ends--------------------------------

The above incidents give us hints on the personality of Bhai Sahib and other Singhs imprisoned with him. Following thoughts have come to mind after reading the above stated incidents:

1. The above incidents show how much love there was between Singhs when they were in jail.

2. When Bhai Sahib was ill, all Singhs in their cells were praying for Bhai Sahib. This shows how much love they had for Bhai Sahib.

3. Bhai Sahib rarely used to allow anyone to do his Sewa. Bhai Sahib was of such high spiritual state but still he was so humble and did not allow himself to be served as many fake sants do. This is real Gursikhi love.

4. Dukhi jee and other Singhs had so much love and respect for Bhai Sahib that even a small bachan (words) of Bhai Sahib had profound effect on them. Bhai Dukhi jee wrote such a big poem on just three words said by Bhai Sahib - ਅਸਾਂ ਕੀ ਖੱਟਣਾ

5. If you can understand the poems, they are extremely beautiful. Dukhi jee was a wonderful poet.

May Guru Sahib do kirpa on us and bless us with Sangat of Gursikhs forever and forever.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
thumbs up
Dukhi jee daa prem vekh ke,
moorakh dey akhan vich hunjoo aye....
Amazing Saakhi.
VAHEGUROOJIKAKHALSA ll VAHEGUROOJIKIFATEH ll

nice post Bhai Kulbirsingh Jee

I have a question, where do u get all this information from?

VAHEGUROOJIKAKHALSA ll VAHEGUROOJIKIFATEH ll
Veer Tegbir Singh jeeo,

nice post Bhai Kulbirsingh Jee

I have a question, where do u get all this information from?

As mentioned in the original post here, this particular post is based on book written by Bhai Dukhi jee called Prem Kaanga. The extracts from this book, related to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee have been included in Jail Chithiaan, in form of appendix.

All glory to Guru Sahib.

Kulbir Singh
Amazing! May we all be blessed with nimrata as bhai dukhi ji had.
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

What a love and respect GurSikhs used to have! Dhan Guru Piyaria di kamayee jio.

With Regards,
Daas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login