ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sri Japji Sahib and Akhand Paath

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
A few weeks ago I was extremely critical on the practice of reciting Sri JapJi Sahib along with Sri AKhand Paatth. My criticisms reached its heights since nobody gave a satisfying response to the practice and instead questioned panthic maryada. Some time ago I came across this practice which was mentioned in the book "Gurbani Paath Darpan" . In the book Giani Gurbachan SIngh JI mentions during an AKahnd Paath there should be japji sahib recited continuously and a water pitcher gheo lamp, and coconut should be present. Originally I had no issues with the maryada, but then I came across the rehatnama by the SGPC which states
ਅਖੰਡ ਪਾਠ ਜਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾ ਦੇ ਪਾਠ ਵੇਲੇ ਕੁੰਭ , ਜੋਤ , ਨਲੀਏਰ ਆਦਿ ਰਖਣ ਜਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਨਾਲ ਜਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਵਿਚ ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਬਾਣੀ
ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਜਾਰੀ ਰਖਣਾ ਮਨਮਤ ਹੈ- SGPC Maryada

Naturally I assumed the rehat mentioned by the SGPC was speaking against the maryada mentioned by Giani Gurbachan Singh JI because the maryadas seemed identical; thus, I was against the maryada. However, after talking to a more knowledgeable SIngh I have come to understanding that the part which states ਅਖੰਡ ਪਾਠ ਜਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾ ਦੇ ਪਾਠ ਵੇ is not referring to Sri JapJi sahib, and I have taken the pangti out of context. The Singh told me back in 1998/1999 Jathedar Ranjit Singh Ji cleared up this maryada and stated it refers to doing parallel AKhand Paatths/kirtan programs in the same hall where Sri Akhand Paath Sahib is taken place. After further contemplation on the matter I am in agreement with the SIngh. We do not not the exact historical consequences as to when this maryada was written by the SGPC one thing for sure its not referring to the maryada mentioned by Giani Gurbachan SIngh JI .

During the British Raj much manmat was taken place in the Gurdwara Sahibs managed by Mahants. They went as far as to place books belonging to other religions on the same par as Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as a means to undermine the authority of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Most likely they also recited paatth of other non-Sikhs granths while Sri AKhand Paath was taken place.

So I owe an apology for anyone I have offended. I guess I was venting out my frustration on the business/ritual like atmosphere which is going on in so many Gurghars today. When nobody provided a valid reason for the maryada my conviction against the maryada only intensified. On a personal level I dont think it wrong to have nor not have Sri JapJi Sahib during a Sri AKhand Paath. The decision is ultimately up to the Gurmukhs who are conducting the maryada. One thing for sure is its wrong to label the practice as manmat nor does it go against panthic maryada to have Sri JapJi sahib present.

This has been a good experience for me as it has encouraged me to carefully study SGPC rehat maryada rather then study this fine document at face value. Many people say this maryada is useless because it encourages meat and states only three banis for morning prayers. However, this is not true. Nowhere in this document does it say meat is ok. In fact it labels halal/kuttha as a bajjar kurehit. Anybody who uses common sense knows halal/kuttha refers to meat being slaughtered regardless if its done the Islamic way . SGPC basically used the same terminology as purtan rehatnamey yet we dont questions these histoical text? Secondly, SGPC Maryada clearly states the 5 traditional banis should be recited during Amrit sanchar and anybody who takes Amrit knows these are the banis to be recited during Amrit Vela every day.

Yes, its true separately they mention 3 banis should be recited in the morning, but most rehatnamey including Bhai Nand Lal SIngh Jis mention only 2 banis but nobody questions these rehatnamey. SGPC was only emulating what is written in the historical text. All Gursikhs who read these text understand that mentioning of two banis were written in poetic prose and thus the meaning is really 5 banis. So its important for us to carefully read the document before making any claims. Once again I seek forgiveness if I had offended anyone.

ਭੁਲਣ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਅਭੁਲੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sri Japji Sahib and Akhand Paath
November 10, 2012 04:36PM
[puratanjatha.blogspot.ca]
November 10, 2012 09:15PM
Very cool post Veer Sukhdeep Singh jeeo - you're 100% correct when you mention
"One thing for sure is its wrong to label the practice as manmat nor does it go against panthic maryada to have Sri JapJi sahib present."

Glad you've progressed on this one - nice to see the feedback and reflection, always encouraging.

However - the marayda as we all know needs to be updated - a little if not a lot with clarifications to at least some of the issues we in the western sikh world are always repeating at each other about.

Please note it clearly says, at times Jap Ji Sahib paath too was done along with Sre Akhand Paath Sahib, it is mentioned in Undithi Duniya was down for a preyt who himself came to Bhai Sahib to do it for it for him.
The KUMBH was at times kept, which chatrik has made clear in the past was done only for Sri Akhand Paath Sahibs that were followed by Amrit Sinchar Smagam. You can see this being done in major smagams in India.
Jatha Singhs in India at times do and dont have Jap Ji Sahib along with.

After Rangley Sanjjan Bhai Gurbakhs Singh received amrit, Singhs in intoxicated started wondering and reached a hut where it was instantly decided to have Sree Akhand Paath Sahib. I dont think they had the time to find enough Pathis for Jap Ji Sahib raul back, because it was instantly planned and only handful Singhs did the Paath for spiritual nourishment.

Gagan veer also note the preyt didnt come back the 3rd time and asked Bhai Sahib, "Why didn't you read ragmala?"...yet he was liberated! (preyt came 2nd time because a Singh didn't do ishnaan before doing raul)

Chota veer
corrections, sorry , I type in hurry as ussual, hence the mistakes..also the link to the quote from BHai Jodh Singh's book
:
[puratanjatha.blogspot.ca]

Please note it clearly says, at times Jap Ji Sahib paath too was done along with Sre Akhand Paath Sahib, it is mentioned in Undithi Duniya was done for a preyt who himself came to Bhai Sahib to do it for for him.
The KUMBH was at times kept, which chatrik has made clear in the past was done only for Sri Akhand Paath Sahibs that were followed by Amrit Sinchar Smagam. You can see this being done in major smagams in India.
Jatha Singhs in India at times do and dont have Jap Ji Sahib along with.

After Rangley Sanjjan Bhai Gurbakhs Singh received amrit, Singhs in intoxicated state started wondering and reached a hut where it was instantly decided to have Sree Akhand Paath Sahib. I dont think they had the time to find enough Pathis for Jap Ji Sahib raul back, because it was instantly planned and only handful Singhs did the Paath for spiritual nourishment.

Gagan veer also note the preyt didnt come back the 3rd time and asked Bhai Sahib, "Why didn't you read ragmala?"...yet he was liberated! (preyt came 2nd time because a Singh didn't do ishnaan before doing raul)

Chota veer
November 11, 2012 02:56PM
piyasi chatrik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> corrections, sorry , I type in hurry as ussual,
> hence the mistakes..also the link to the quote
> from BHai Jodh Singh's book
> :
> [puratanjatha.blogspot.ca]
> hand-paat-sahibs-jap-jee.html
>
>
> Please note it clearly says, at times Jap Ji Sahib
> paath too was done along with Sre Akhand Paath
> Sahib, it is mentioned in Undithi Duniya was done
> for a preyt who himself came to Bhai Sahib to do
> it for for him.
> The KUMBH was at times kept, which chatrik has
> made clear in the past was done only for Sri
> Akhand Paath Sahibs that were followed by Amrit
> Sinchar Smagam. You can see this being done in
> major smagams in India.
> Jatha Singhs in India at times do and dont have
> Jap Ji Sahib along with.
>
> After Rangley Sanjjan Bhai Gurbakhs Singh received
> amrit, Singhs in intoxicated state started
> wondering and reached a hut where it was instantly
> decided to have Sree Akhand Paath Sahib. I dont
> think they had the time to find enough Pathis for
> Jap Ji Sahib raul back, because it was instantly
> planned and only handful Singhs did the Paath for
> spiritual nourishment.
>
> Gagan veer also note the preyt didnt come back the
> 3rd time and asked Bhai Sahib, "Why didn't you
> read ragmala?"...yet he was liberated! (preyt came
> 2nd time because a Singh didn't do ishnaan before
> doing raul)

I never said Jap Jee Sahib with Akhand Paat Sahib is madatory. I just said its not manmat to do so. And provided proof from Bhai Sahib's times that it did happen once in a while.

What are you trying to say with the Raagmala mention?

Gagan veer also note the preyt didnt come back the
3rd time and asked Bhai Sahib, "Why didn't you
read ragmala?"...yet he was liberated! (preyt came
2nd time because a Singh didn't do ishnaan beforedoing raul)
Since you were aggressively pursuing that Jap ji sahib should be done with Akhand Paath Sahib

gsingh
What are you trying to say with the Raagmala mention?
Some sampardaic people say its pointless to do Sree Akhand Paath Sahib if it is devoid of Jap Ji Sahib Paath and many say its pointless if devoid of ragmala. In the first half of the post, I made it clear to you that Jap Ji Sahib isn't a "must do or die" issue. And Bhai Sahib did bhog at Mundavani and the preyt was liberated(as mentioned in Undithi Duniya), hence the Akhand Paath Sahib cannot be called 'imperfect.'

What matters is sitting and listening to the most of the paath provided with proper paathis doing seva. No debating over what was or was not done.

Chota veer
November 12, 2012 05:50AM
piyasi chatrik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since you were aggressively pursuing that Jap ji
> sahib should be done with Akhand Paath Sahib
>
>
> What are you trying to say with the Raagmala
> mention?
>
> Some sampardaic people say its pointless to do
> Sree Akhand Paath Sahib if it is devoid of Jap Ji
> Sahib Paath and many say its pointless if devoid
> of ragmala. In the first half of the post, I made
> it clear to you that Jap Ji Sahib isn't a "must do
> or die" issue. And Bhai Sahib did bhog at
> Mundavani and the preyt was liberated(as mentioned
> in Undithi Duniya), hence the Akhand Paath Sahib
> cannot be called 'imperfect.'
>
> What matters is sitting and listening to the most
> of the paath provided with proper paathis doing
> seva. No debating over what was or was not done.

Chatrik Jee:

I wasn't aggressively suggesting that Jap Jee Sahib is a must otherwise the Akhand Paat Sahib is incomplete. Please read my previous posts carefully. Sukhdeep Singh and others were suggesting it to be manmat, I was just saying that it shouldn't be classified as manmat. It did occur time to time during Bhai Sahib's times. A Sri Akhand Paat Sahib without Jap Jee Sahib is still Pooran and Parvaan.

If Raagmala is not read than it is good, but if those Gurmukh Sajjan that believe it to be Bani of Guru Jee read it at the Bhog of an Akhand Paat Sahib, I don't think they would lose the phall of the other 1429 angs they read.

So to conclude, I Don't think that keeping Jap Jee Sahib is mandatory and without it the Paat does not become incomplete. I just think that it is not manmat to keep Jap Jee Sahib paat with Sri Akhand Paat Sahib and efforts should be made to keep it if possible.

This is just what I think I could be wrong. Guru Sahib knows best.
Theek hai, Singh jeo.

....and others were suggesting it to be manmat, I was just saying that it shouldn't be classified as manmat.
Other Singhs just dont see it as a must or its 'need' though as a puratan tradition its respected. I have seen it being done at Puran jees house for an Akhand Paath Sahib myself though.

Chota veer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login