ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grammar, Grammar, Grammar !!

Posted by Preetam Singh 
I have always found it very confusing whenever I read the different terms used to talk about Gurbani Vyakaran so I made this chart as a reference point to remember what each term means. This is a very simple reference chart and does not take into account different forms of nouns or any of the rules associated with these terms.

Please let me know if there are any mistakes and I will edit this chart and repost. In the future there will be more extensive charts for specific forms of nouns, rules, and other things related to Vyakaran.

Preetam Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Good job, Preetam Singh jeeo. Keep it coming.

Kulbir Singh
Excellent!
Amazing, Daas too was confused of simple grammatical rules. Guru Sahib has cleared these up for me now, through his Gursikh, Bhai Preetam Singh. Thank You!
the description in english is too complex, please provide a simpler and understandable translation of the terms mentioned.
Bhai Jaspreet Singh jee,

I will try to use simpler language when defining the terms in future reference charts. Please let me know which definition you need clarification on and we can discuss it in this thread.

Preetam Singh
Wonderful!! Would love to see more such resources.
the definitions you gave for "pronoun", "adverb" and "preposition" are unclear. expand further on what you mean by these terms.
A pronoun is used to replace a noun or a noun phrase so that the same word is not being repeated over and over. For example we would write:

Jaspreet Singh has some very valid questions. Hopefully his questions can be answered.

In the above sentences Jaspreet Singh is the noun and "his" would be the pronoun used to refer to the noun.

An adverb is basically any word that describes a verb or adjective. A simple verb would just be something like ਜਾ by it self which means go, but by using the adverb ਛੇਤੀ we are describing how to go, ie. ਛੇਤੀ ਜਾ.

A preposition is used to describe the relation between different things. For example:

ਗੁਰਮਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ ਖਿਚੜੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਸਵਾਦ ਹੈ ।

The preposition in this sentence is "ਦੀ" because it tells us that the khicharhee belongs to Gurman Singh. An easy way to remember this is that ਸੰਬੰਧ means relationship so a ਸੰਬੰਧਕੀ ਪਦ is any word in a sentence that defines the relationship of different words.

I hope this clears up any confusion about the terms discussed. Inshallah we will move on to the types of nouns next week.

Preetam Singh
Preetam Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A pronoun is used to replace a noun or a noun
> phrase so that the same word is not being repeated
> over and over. For example we would write:
>
> Jaspreet Singh has some very valid questions.
> Hopefully his questions can be answered.
>
> In the above sentences Jaspreet Singh is the noun
> and "his" would be the pronoun used to refer to
> the noun.
>
> An adverb is basically any word that describes a
> verb or adjective. A simple verb would just be
> something like ਜਾ by it self which means go,
> but by using the adverb ਛੇਤੀ we are
> describing how to go, ie. ਛੇਤੀ ਜਾ.
>
> A preposition is used to describe the relation
> between different things. For example:
>
> ਗੁਰਮਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ
> ਖਿਚੜੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਸਵਾਦ ਹੈ

> ।
>
> The preposition in this sentence is "ਦੀ"
> because it tells us that the khicharhee belongs to
> Gurman Singh. An easy way to remember this is that
> ਸੰਬੰਧ means relationship so a
> ਸੰਬੰਧਕੀ ਪਦ is any word in a
> sentence that defines the relationship of
> different words.
>
> I hope this clears up any confusion about the
> terms discussed. Inshallah we will move on to the
> types of nouns next week.

What amazing examples, Preetam Singh makes learning fun.
Gurman Singh jee,

Maybe this is fun because we have referred to your award winning khicharhee. Hahaha!

It would be so fun to teach this to little kids and make games with Vyakaran rules so that young kids can learn these things from the very beginning and not have to relearn everything when they get older like I am having to do now. Hopefully Guru Sahib blesses us with Gurmat Schools all over the place that teach Santhiya and Gurbani Viyakaran as well as other Gurmat related things.

I really wish I had learned this so long ago! Guru Sahib mehar karan!

Preetam Singh
A simple definition of Viyakaran terms in simple Punjabi:

ਨਾਂਵ: ਕਿਸੇ ਪੁਰਖ, ਥਾਂ, ਜਗ੍ਹਾ, ਜਜ਼ਬਾਤ, ਜਾਂ ਚੀਜ਼ ਆਦਿ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਨੂੰ ਨਾਂਵ ਕਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਲੁਧਿਆਨਾ, ਘਰ, ਬਲਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ, ਮਿੱਠਾਸ, ਕੌੜਾਪਨ, ਗੁੱਸਾ, ਪੀਜ਼ਾ, ਗੋਲ-ਗੱਪੇ, ਪਕੌੜੇ ਆਦਿ।

ਨਾਂਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਬਚਨ: ਨਾਂਵ ਇਕ-ਬਚਨ ਜਾਂ ਬਹੁ-ਬਚਨ ਹੋਇਆ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਮੁੰਡਾ ਇਕ-ਬਚਨ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਮੁੰਡੇ ਬਹੁ-ਬਚਨ ਹੈ। ਇਸੇ ਤਰਾਂ ਕੁੜੀ – ਕੁੜੀਆਂ, ਭੁਜੰਗਣ – ਭੁਜੰਗਣਾਂ ਆਦਿ।

ਪੜਨਾਂਵ: ਉਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਜੋ ਨਾਂਵ ਦੀ ਥਾਂ ਤੇ ਵਰਤੇ ਜਾਣ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪੜਨਾਂਵ ਕਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਉਹ, ਇਹ, ਤੂੰ, ਮੈਂ, ਤੁਸੀਂ, ਅਸੀਂ, ਤੁਹਾਡਾ, ਸਾਡਾ, ਹਉਂ, ਆਦਿ।

ਵਿਸ਼ੇਸ਼ਣ: ਉਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਜੋ ਨਾਂਵ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ-ਅਵਗੁਣ ਦੱਸਣ ਜਾਂ ਜੋ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਨਾਂਵ ਨੂੰ ਹੋਰ ਵਿਸਥਾਰਤ ਕਰਣ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਚੰਗਾ ਮੁੰਡਾ, ਗੰਦਾ ਕਪੜਾ, ਸੋਹਣਾ ਫੁਲ, ਨੀਲਾ ਕੁੜਤਾ, ਸੁਰਮਈ ਦਸਤਾਰਾ ਆਦਿ।

ਕਿਰਿਆ: ਉਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਜੋ ਕਿਸੇ ਕੰਮ ਜਾਂ ਕੰਮ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਨੂੰ ਪਰਗਟ ਕਰਣ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਦੌੜਨਾ, ਪੜਨਾ, ਬੋਲਣਾ, ਆਦਿ।

ਕਿਰਿਆ ਦੇ ਤਿੰਨ ਕਾਲ: ਭੁਤ, ਭਵਾਨ (ਵਰਤਮਾਨ ਕਾਲ) ਅਤੇ ਭਵਿਖ; ਇਹ ਤਿੰਨ ਕਾਲ ਕਿਰਿਆ ਦੇ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਕਿਰਿਆ-ਵਿਸ਼ੇਸ਼ਣ: ਉਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਜੋ ਕਿਰਿਆ ਨੂੰ ਹੋਰ ਵਿਸਥਾਰਤ ਕਰਣ ਜਾਂ ਕਿਰਿਆ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ-ਅਵਗੁਣ ਦੱਸਣ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕਿ ਤੇਜ਼ ਦੌੜਨਾ, ਥੋੜਾ ਪੜਨਾ, ਬਹੁਤ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਆਦਿ।

ਸੰਬੰਧਕੀ ਪਦ: ਜੋ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਨਾਂਵ ਦਾ ਨਾਂਵ ਨਾਲ ਸੰਬੰਧ ਦਸਣ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਦਾ, ਦੇ, ਦੀ, ਕਾ, ਕੇ, ਕੀ, ਨੂੰ। ਬਲਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ ਦਾ ਚੋਲਾ, ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਪਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ ਕਾਰ, ਸਕਾਲਰ ਦਾ ਲੇਖ ਆਦਿ ਜਾਂ ਜੋ ਨਾਂਵ ਦਾ ਕਿਰਿਆ ਨਾਲ ਸੰਬੰਧ ਦਸਣ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕੇ ਨਾਲ, ਸੰਗਿ, ਅੰਦਰਿ, ਬਾਹਰਿ, ਨਜ਼ੀਕਿ, ਦੂਰਿ, ਨੇੜੇ ਆਦਿ।
Preetam Singh Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> An adverb is basically any word that describes a
> verb or adjective. A simple verb would just be
> something like ਜਾ by it self which means go,
> but by using the adverb ਛੇਤੀ we are
> describing how to go, ie. ਛੇਤੀ ਜਾ.

hmmm, a simple way of looking at this is in terms of vectors. Vectors have both a speed and a direction. for example, 150km/hr, west, where west could be interpreted as the "adverb" (direction) of the moving object.
and scalar quantities could be interpreted as the "adjectives", maybe =P

but thanks for clearing it up Bhai Preetam Singh ji, and thank you Bhai Kulbir Singh ji for the Punjabi interpretation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login