ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spiritual Wealth: Gurmukhs Vs Manmukhs

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
The 24 Ashtpadis of Siri Guru Raamdaas jee Maharaj in 4 Raags ( Bilaaval, Nat Narayan, Kaanra and Kalyaan) contain some great mystical secrets that are indispensible for Seekers of Vaheguru. These Ashtpadis are traditionally and lovingly called Siri Sukhmana Sahib, by Gursikhs. Gurmukhs try to do Nitnem of this Baani everyday along with Punj Granthi and basic Nitnem. Below are very beautiful and meaningful Gurbani Pankitis from Ashtpadis of Siri Guru Raamdaas jee, in Raag Bilaaval:

ਏਕੁ ਗਿਰਹੁ ਦਸ ਦੁਆਰ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਤਸਕਰ ਪੰਚ ਚੋਰ ਲਗਈਆ ॥
ਧਰਮੁ ਅਰਥੁ ਸਭੁ ਹਿਰਿ ਲੇ ਜਾਵਹਿ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੁਲੇ ਖਬਰਿ ਨ ਪਈਆ ॥੨॥
ਕੰਚਨ ਕੋਟੁ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣਕਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਜਾਗੇ ਗਿਆਨ ਤਤਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਈਆ ॥
ਤਸਕਰ ਹੇਰੂ ਆਇ ਲੁਕਾਨੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਕੜਿ ਬੰਧਿ ਪਈਆ ॥੩॥

Humble Translation: There is one house with ten doors, and 5 thieves are constantly, day and night looting it. They steal away all the spiritual wealth, but ignorant Manmukh does even realize it (2). This fort of gold (human body) is full of pearls; Gurmukh stays awake through divine Gurmat Gyaan (knowledge). The thieves who come in the fort and hide themselves are caught and tied by the alert Gurmukh, through the power of Guru's Shabad.

Vichaar: According to Gurmat, our body is like a fort made of gold and filled with precious pearls. In other words, the body is full of spiritual wealth. As is always the case, wherever there is wealth, there are also thieves who are very keen to loot this wealth. Spiritual wealth is no exception. These thieves have been given entry to this fort as part of this whole grand scheme by Vaheguru. They hide in this fort and loot the wealth so diligently and stealthily that most of us don't even realize that we are being looted.

In case of Manmukhs, who don't follow the path determined by the True Guru, this spiritual wealth is looted and plundered mercilessly. After death, the Manmukh arrives at the next world totally empty-handed. Gurmukhs on the other hand become very vigilant and using the weapon of Guru's Shabad, they first find the thieves and then tie them up and throw them out. Such Gurmukhs not only save the original spiritual wealth but also earn tonnes of profits and arrive in the next world as very rich persons.

It is not enough to just do Paath, Simran and keep Rehit but it is also important to avoid sinning under the influence of the 5 Bikaars (Kaam, Krodh, Lobh, Moh and Hankaar). Gurbani Paath/Kirtan, Naam Simran and Gurmat Seva enable us to earn the spiritual wealth (Laaha) that helps us in the next world but we have to be careful not to let the 5 Bikaars loot this wealth. Everytime we indulge in the pleasures of these Bikaars, we are letting them loot our hard earned spiritual wealth. Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ਐਸਾ ਨਾਇਕੁ ਰਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥
ਸਗਲ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਕੀਓ ਬਨਜਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਕਬੀਰ ਲੂਟਨਾ ਹੈ ਤ ਲੂਟਿ ਲੈ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਹੈ ਲੂਟਿ ॥
ਫਿਰਿ ਪਾਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਹੁਗੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਜਾਹਿੰਗੇ ਛੂਟਿ ॥੪੧॥

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
I had a few queries about some things I noticed in Sukhmana Sahib:

1. I think in the fourth ashtpadi of Raag Bilaaval, Bhagat Kabeer Jee’s name appears with a tippi on the kakka as ਕੰਬੀਰੁ in the pangtee ਨਾਮਾ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਕੰਬੀਰੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਅਉਜਾਤਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਚਮਿਆਰੁ ਚਮਈਆ ॥ may I ask if this is a spelling mistake or is it supposed to be like that? This only appears to my knowledge 2 other times in Gurbani ਕਹਿ ਕੰਬੀਰ ਕੋਊ ਸੰਗ ਨ ਸਾਥ ॥(ਅੰਗ ੧੧੬੨) and ਜਿ ਮਤਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨ ਚਿਤਿ ਭਗਤ ਕੰਬੀਰਹਿ ਜਾਣੀ ॥ (ਅੰਗ ੧੨੧੪). It would be good to read some vichaar on this.

2. The Ashtpadis of the Raag Bilaaval are the only ones that do not end with ਛਕਾ ੧ ॥ is this an erroneous omission? Should it be present? Can I also ask if Singhs are in favour of actually saying “ਛਕਾ ੧ ॥“ whilst doing paath?

3. In the Sirlekhs of Raag Kalian four times ਕਲਿਆਨ appears without the aunkad on the nanna, and twice it appears as ਕਲਿਆਨੁ with the aunkad on the nanna. Please could you confirm which is the correct spelling of Kalian? I find it hard to understand why the spelling of the name of Raag Kalian varies across the Sirlekhs.

1. I think in the fourth ashtpadi of Raag Bilaaval, Bhagat Kabeer Jee’s name appears with a tippi on the kakka as ਕੰਬੀਰੁ in the pangtee ਨਾਮਾ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਕੰਬੀਰੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਅਉਜਾਤਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਚਮਿਆਰੁ ਚਮਈਆ ॥ may I ask if this is a spelling mistake or is it supposed to be like that? This only appears to my knowledge 2 other times in Gurbani ਕਹਿ ਕੰਬੀਰ ਕੋਊ ਸੰਗ ਨ ਸਾਥ ॥(ਅੰਗ ੧੧੬੨) and ਜਿ ਮਤਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨ ਚਿਤਿ ਭਗਤ ਕੰਬੀਰਹਿ ਜਾਣੀ ॥ (ਅੰਗ ੧੨੧੪). It would be good to read some vichaar on this.

You are correct in saying that for the most part the spellings for Bhagat jee's name are ਕਬੀਰ but at some places in Gurbani ਕੰਬੀਰੁ too is used. Both are correct. It's like Bhagat Ravidaas jee's name is spelled as ਰੈਦਾਸ at some places, especially in non-Sikh literature, this version of Bhagat jee's spelllings are used extensively. Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee's name too is spelled two ways - mostly as ਅਰਜੁਨ but in Ramkali kee Vaar the spellings are ਅਰਜਨ.

2. The Ashtpadis of the Raag Bilaaval are the only ones that do not end with ਛਕਾ ੧ ॥ is this an erroneous omission? Should it be present? Can I also ask if Singhs are in favour of actually saying “ਛਕਾ ੧ ॥“ whilst doing paath?

ਛਕਾ ੧ means six Shabads and you are correct in saying that this message is missing from Ashtpadis of Raag Bilaaval. I too noticed it but did not give it too much attention at the time. We need to check old handwritten Saroops to see if this message is there or not. Mostly, Paathis do Uchaaran of this message.

3. In the Sirlekhs of Raag Kalian four times ਕਲਿਆਨ appears without the aunkad on the nanna, and twice it appears as ਕਲਿਆਨੁ with the aunkad on the nanna. Please could you confirm which is the correct spelling of Kalian? I find it hard to understand why the spelling of the name of Raag Kalian varies across the Sirlekhs.

The correct spellings of Raag Kaliyaan seem to be ਕਲਿਆਨੁ but at many places in this Raag, ਕਲਿਆਨ too has been used. Not sure about the reason for this differences. It's possible that it's an error of writers of Gurbani or a printing error or it's some rule of writing that we are not aware of.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
When writing Punjabi words why do some people use the letter 'd' in place of 'r'? So in the post by Trust Singh, they have written Aukad instead of Aunkar?
Bahut dhanvaad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login