Posted by Kulbir Singh 
A Math Question
October 08, 2012 06:19AM
How much is 1 + 1?

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: A Math Question
October 08, 2012 06:55AM
I am going to take the plunge and answer 2.... Although I have a feeling that I'm wrong hahaha.

Preetam Singh
October 08, 2012 07:21AM
1 + 1 = 1
October 08, 2012 08:37AM
in binary notation, 1+1=10,"10" isn't read as "ten", but rather as 0,1, where the the one becomes the carry-out. So one plus one equals "0".
October 08, 2012 09:27AM
October 08, 2012 09:36AM
11 eleven.
October 08, 2012 09:57AM
I go with Akall Ji. One joins with one to make one. Otherwise what is the benefit of union, if both can not form a single entity. Moreover all we see is oneness.
October 08, 2012 10:21AM
Ok, this will be wrong, but lets see, 1+1 is infinity?
October 08, 2012 10:28AM
sava lakh x 2

although my son might say window smiling smiley
October 08, 2012 10:32AM
Yes, I am too with Akal jee.
but,further on
the power lies behind the Result is Almighty!

where as 1+1=1 its true but; 1+1=1 or 10000000000000000000000 no limit!

("∞" is the term refer Infinite)
October 08, 2012 11:00AM
I am also going to say "infinite"
October 08, 2012 12:40PM
1 + 1 = ∞ = 1
ਖੇਲ ਖੇਲਿ ਅਖੇਲ ਖੇਲਨ ਅੰਤ ਕੋ ਫਿਰਿ ਏਕ ॥੮੧॥

ਲੇਖਾ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਲਿਖੀਐ ਲੇਖੈ ਹੋਇ ਵਿਣਾਸੁ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਵਡਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਆਪੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਆਪੁ ॥੨੨॥

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
October 08, 2012 12:46PM
since the subject is "a math question" I would say 2 lol
October 08, 2012 01:05PM
MB Singh
One joins with one to make one. Otherwise what is the benefit of union

Dhan MB Singh Jeeo, I will remember this beautiful line for lifetime smiling smiley

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
October 08, 2012 02:09PM
jaskirat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > One joins with one to make one. Otherwise what
> is the benefit of union
>
>
> Dhan MB Singh Jeeo, I will remember this beautiful
> line for lifetime smiling smiley

MB singh ji kamal kar chadya je ....Baba MB singh maheswer ji di ....jai....sare bolo

in gurmat 1+1= 1
math 1+1= 2
punjab 1+1= 11
marriage 1+1= 4+
October 08, 2012 06:36PM
Question is math, so in math one plus one, is equal 2 (one Waheguru, and one Satguru)confused smiley?
Andley joti and Supreme jot relayeh?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
October 08, 2012 09:33PM
1+1=1(Union with God)
1+1=∞( two lovers united at soul level .i.e. two human beings)
1+1=0(use to refer a person without ego )
1+1=11( this used to refer two friends)
1+1=2+(married family)

1+1=2(Manmukh or Maha moorkh,ones still stays separate and why not, Apparently, scientifically accepted)
-1+1=-$ (Kusang or the ones having evil company)

I am agree with all these above answers but I prefer "1∞" and I don't like the answer "2",in fact I hate it!

Bhai Kulbir Singh ji, you will having hard time to conclude this post, because I think you already have more than what you should have expected!
Before,the post and answers gets more vast and complicated, I think you should Conclude it!
October 08, 2012 09:59PM

-Upkaar Singh
October 08, 2012 11:07PM
Sadh Sangat
October 09, 2012 12:24AM
I would say the question is wrong, as there is only ONE.
You cannot add to it or subtract from it.
October 09, 2012 08:44AM
First of all, I am sorry for the misleading title of this thread. It's not actually a question related to Mathematics.

Thanks for some really amazing answers.

What I had in mind was what happens when Brahm (Vaheguru) and the Jeev unite. Do they become 1 or remain 2?

Here is what different faiths say about this:

The first "1" represents Brahm and the second "1" represents the Jeev.

Gurmat

1 + 1 = 1.

The union of Vaheguru jee and the Jee is so complete that to the outer eye, they are 1:

ਅਬ ਤਉ ਜਾਇ ਚਢੇ ਸਿੰਘਾਸਨਿ ਮਿਲੇ ਹੈ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਨੀ ॥
ਰਾਮ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਏਕ ਭਏ ਹੈ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਸਕੈ ਪਛਾਨੀ ॥6॥3॥

Bhagat Kabir jee is stating the fact that Raam and Kabira have become one, and no one can recognize the difference between the two. But the fact that Bhagat Kabir jee is stating this fact that he has become totally one with Vaheguru, proves that this union did not mean the annihilation of Bhagat Kabir jee. The union is very tight and they both become totally 1 but the "Self" of Bhagat Kabir jee is not eliminated or deleted in this process. This concept is further clarified by Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee, who states that prior to coming to this world, He was totally one with Vaheguru:

ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕਰਤ ਤਪਸਿਆ ਭਯੋ ॥ ਦ੍ਵ ਰੂਪ ਤੇ ਇਕ ਰੂਪ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਗਯੋ ॥

Siri Guru jee writing that He did so much Bhagti that they become 1 from 2 i.e. Vaheguru and Guru Sahib became one. Then in the next Saloks, after becoming one, Vaheguru orders Siri Guru jee to go to this world for the expansion of Dharma:

ਤਿਨ ਜੋ ਕਰੀ ਅਲਖ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ॥ ਤਾ ਤੇ ਭਏ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨਿ ਗੁਰਦੇਵਾ ॥
ਤਿਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜਬ ਆਇਸ ਮੁਹਿ ਦੀਯਾ ॥ ਤਬ ਹਮ ਜਨਮ ਕਲੂ ਮਹਿ ਲੀਯਾ ॥ 4 ॥
ਚਿਤ ਨਾ ਭਯੋ ਹਮਰੋ ਆਵਨ ਕਹ ॥ ਚੁਭੀ ਰਹੀ ਸ੍ਰੁਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਚਰਨਨ ਮਹਿ ॥
ਜਿਉ ਤਿਉ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਮ ਕੋ ਸਮਝਾਯੋ ॥ ਇਮ ਕਹਿਕੈ ਇਹ ਲੋਕ ਪਠਾਯੋ ॥ 5 ॥

In these Pankitis it is clear that Vaheguru ordered Guru Sahib (after they become totally one) to go to the world and even though, Guru Sahib jee did not want to come, still as per Hukam, He came and took Avtaar in Kaljug.

This proves that in Gurmat, totally union between the Jeev and Vaheguru does take place but the Jeev does not get annihilated in this process i.e. does not lose identity. All the Pankitis in Gurbani that talk about oneness with Vaheguru mean that the union is perfect but all the Pankitis that promise the Jeev that by following Gurmat, he would get everlasting bliss prove that the Jeev is not annihilated because in order to have everlasting bliss, one has to have consciousness. The consciousness of the Jeev is totally tuned in with Vaheguru and there is not difference in opinion or thought but the identity is not deleted. The Jeev merges in Vaheguru and enjoys everlasting life. When need be, the Jeev comes back as per the Pankiti - Gurmukh Aavai Jaae Nisung||

Duvaita Vedanta

Duvaita Vedanta is one of the foremost school of thought of India. It was propagated in the modern times by Madhvacharya and as per this philosophy the equation is as follows:

1 + 1 = 2

They believe in 5 eternal differences between Jeev, Jada (Prakriti or nature) and Brahm:

Jeev and Brahm
Jeev and Jada
Brahm and Jada
Jeev and Jeeva
Jada and Jada

So basically, since there are eternal differences between Brahm and Jeev, therefore there can't be a union. Furthermore, under this philosophy, Brahm is not the creator of Prakriti. Prakriti is always there, Vaheguru just moulds it and creates the world. In Gurmat, Vaheguru is the creator Prakriti as well as the world.

Advaita Vedanta

Advaita was popularized by Shankracharya and this philosophy gives a very strange twist to the equation:

1 + 1 = 1

But in reality, the equation should be read as 0 + 1 = 1 or perhaps as 1 + 0 = 1.

They believe that there is no difference between the Jeev and Brahm. In fact, they believe that Jeev in actuality is Brahm but due to Avidya (ignorance), it considers itself to be not Brahm. In dark, a rope seems like snake and the fear and reaction of the Jeev is real, even though the object of fear – snake – never existed. They consider the world too, to be unreal and totally non-existent. They believe that due to ignorance, the world seems to be but is not. When Avidya ceases to exist or is cleared with Gyaan (jnana), the Jeev realizes that it is Brahm itself. And all this while, when the world experience was going on, the Nirguna Brahm, was totally unaware of the creation and Avidya. The Nirguna Brahm was not even aware of the world creation, then how can He be of any help?

So the equation is very strange for this philosophy:

0 + 1 = 1, where 0 represents Brahm, because according to them, Jeev is the Brahm. Or you can say that there is only Brahm and there never was the Jeeva, the world, Jada or anything else. There is only one Brahm, and nothing else exists. The world never existed.

This philosophy was more in response to the Buddhist philosophy that had overtaken whole of Indian subcontinent. It is sad and disheartening that many modern sants subscribe to this almost Atheist like philosophy. Frankly, if Brahm is totally Nirgun in the sense that it is totally aloof from the world, then it is also true that Brahm cannot hear our pleas, Ardaas and can't help us salvation. The salvation then totally depends on the effort of the Jeev. Furthermore, there can be no real concept of Prema-Bhagti because Prema Bhagti can be done if there is a real Deity as opposed to a indifferent, unaware Nirguna Brahm.

I can't help pointing out that, if all the illusion of this world and Jeev had been caused by Avidya, then where did Avidya come from, when originally there was only one Brahm and this Brahm did not create the world, the Jeev and never intended to create it either? Some Advaitins respond by saying that Avidya is Anaadee (eternal, i.e. is without a beginning), then they hurt their principle of Advaita Brahm i.e. non-dual Brahm because then Brahm is no longer alone; Avidya too is as eternal and existent as Brahm. Furthermore they make Avidya a real substance, which it is not. If they say that Avidya was caused due to ignorance of Brahm, then too they firstly they make Brahm no longer non-dual or unattributable and secondly, they inadvertently make Brahm responsible for creation of ignorance. Either way, the Advaitins cannot win with their philosophy of Avidya. Why do some of our Sikhs Sants and scholars believe in such a flawed philosophy?

Buddhism

0 + 0 = 0

They don't believe in Vaheguru, and they also don't believe in the eternal Self or Atma. Since they don't believe in both Brahm and Atma, their Nirvana state is more like the annihilation of the self and consciousness. Some sects argue that the Self continues to live but totally becomes Nirguna i.e. aloof of the world experience but the Thevarda sect, which is the original sect, does not believe in Atma or Brahm.

Semitic Religions

In Judaism, Christanity and Islam the equation is as follows:

1 + 1 = 2

The Jeev and Brahm do not unite. The Self and God don't unite. The Jeevs go to live in Heaven and some Jeevs are eternally condemned to hell or Jahannam. God stays aloof.

Kulbir Singh
October 09, 2012 11:28AM
Great stuff - I also thought Guru Sahib jee reiterated the bare minimum required for sangat is 1 + 1=2 and one should never ever complain that sangat is few whenver we see that only a few people have to come to darbar or keertan smagam.This is also why the Gaddee rah of a Gurumuk both husband and wife are to be amritdhari is of extreme importance as it forms what we call sangat.

Gursikhs have also to viewed 1+1 as 11 as a form of chardee kala - when taking on huge forces such as the case with Bhai Bota Singh and Garja Singh jee.

I maybe wrong or if you have have heard differently please mention and share..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login