ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bhai Sahib's views on who can do sewa in Guru's Langar

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Today, any langar that is prepared at any Gurdwara Sahib, whether it is prepared as per Maryada or not, is called Guru ka Langar. Surely any place where free food is given can be called Langar but every such langar cannot be called 'Guru ka Langar'. Bibek is not peculiar to Akhand Kirtani Jatha as many believe. It is a rehit of Guru to keep Gurmat Bibek. In olden days, even 80-100 years ago, all Sikh Jathebandis used to keep Bibek e.g. Sant Attar Singh Mastanunewala's jatha, Jatha Bhindran etc.

A person who does not keep the Rehit presecribed at the time of Amrit Sinchaar is not allowed to do sewa in Langar. If a person does not keep his 5 Kakaars, or does not give Daswandh or does not do Nitnem, such person cannot do sewa in Langar. Same way a person who does not keep the rehit of not eating from non-devotees, too is not allowed to do sewa in Guru's Langar. Many times what happens is that people start pointing fingers at the Bibeki Gursikh who does not want to eat from Milgobha Langar (mixed Langar). The finger should not be pointed at the Gursikh who is just obeying the Guru's Hukam of keeping dietary Bibek but to those people who break Guru's Maryada and prepare langar without keeping in regard whatGuru's Hukam is.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee in his book Gurmat Bibek has written about who can do sewa in Guru's Langar and this has been loosely translated by this Daas, for the benefit of Sangat.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

------------------------------------------------------Translation Begins-----------------------------------------------------------

In every cell (Rom Rom) of an Amritdhari Khalsa Bir, fountains of Naam flow out. In his heart, sweet fragrance of truthfulness and contentedness resides and behind his devotional effort for divine service (sewa), waves of spiritual enthusiasm work. From his Amrit-spraying illuminated mouth, showering of Amrit-Baani always continues and his such love-intoxicated-blissful condition casts such effect on his food-preparing Sewa (devotional service) that the Bibeki food prepared by him really becomes Amrit-food. Those who have tasted such food, only they know about it. Such food is famously known as “Bibek Prashaad”. This Bibek Prashaad is available only in “Guru ka Langar” (Guru’s kitchen). Such food can be cooked only in Guru’s Langar through the Bibeki effort (Bibeki-ghaalna) of Singh Sajjans and Bibeki Jans (persons).

Where ever the Bibeki-food kitchen of Guru’s Bibeki persons is located, that place is Guru ka Langar. That is Guru ka Langar where Kirtan-singing guests are fed. That is Guru ka Langar where persons who are hungry for spirituality get their food. That is Guru ka Langar from where ones who are extremely avaricious get their thirst quenched. That is Guru ka Langar where sangat eats langar food. That is Guru ka Langar from where the next generation of Sikhi gets fed and then becomes Guru’s own. But Guru ka Langar is that where only Guru’s Tyaar-bar-Tyaar (Sikhs in good standing) Fauj (Gursikhs) cook Langar. In Langar, where food is not cooked by Rehitvaan Bibeki Singhs, through their Bibeki effort, how can such langar be Guru ka Langar? Such is Guru ka Langar where open Kala (spiritual power) of Guru is manifested. That is Guru ka Langar, where food is cooked and distributed by Guru’s Singhs. Guru Ka Langar is that where Satee (Gursikh) gives and the contented one eats. Guru ka Langar is that where the Sewadaars (ones doing service) are all Tyaar-bar-Tyaar Rehitvaan, pious and wise Singhs.

As per the Hukam - ਸੇਵਕ ਕਉ ਸੇਵਾ ਬਨਿ ਆਈ ॥ - with the exception of servants of Guru ghar, who else can realize the greatness of sewa of Guru’s Langar? That person who is a humble servant (of Guru) should do sewa of Guru’s Langar. That person who sees Guru within the Guru’s Sangat (holy congregation), should do sewa of Guru’s Langar. That person who looks at everyone - whether high or low - with the same eye, should do sewa of Guru’s Langar. One who realizes sewa of Sangat as Guru’s sewa should do sewa in Guru’s Langar. One who is fully Dharmi (follows tenets of Dharma), and one who adopts Gurmat and is Guru’s obedient servant, such wise Singh should do sewa in Guru’s Langar. In Guru’s Langar, in addition to such persons who are spiritually very elevated, such persons too can do sewa who are of ordinary spiritual Avastha but are otherwise fully obedient of accepting Guru’s Hukams (following rehit).

But such Tankhaiya persons who are devoid of this Rehit-Rehni, i.e., those who are fallen from following that Rehit-Rehni (code of conduct) that was given at the time of initiation ceremony (Amrit Chhakna), have no right to do sewa in Guru’s Langar until and unless they confess their wrongdoings and get pardoned for their Tankhah and until an Ardaas is performed for the forgiveness of their wrongdoing and for allowing them to do sewa.

If in Gurughar, Tankhahees (ones who are fallen from Rehit) cannot do sewa in Guru’s Langar, then how can such persons who are devoid of Gurmat, are followers of other religions, have the right to do sewa in Guru’s Langar? What do they, who are Dharma-less, Guru-less persons of other religions, know about Guru’s Langar? For Guru’s Langar, the stamp of Guru’s Sikhs is required, otherwise such langar is not Guru ka Langar but “Milgobha Langar” (mixed Langar). Don’t call that langar Guru ka Langar, whose Sevaks (servants) don’t have stamp of Guru Nanak on their heads. All Langars that are outside of the house of Guru-Nanak-Dasmesh cannot be classified as Guru ka Langar.
-----------------------------------------------------------Translation Ends------------------------------------------------
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vah Jee Vah!
Great post.
Just would like clarification on one thing. if one becomes dhilla in certain rehit hence becoming tankhaiya he should do peshi and receive tankaah and possibily choole, then he is forgiven, but here bhai sahib says ardaas also needs to be done? what does bhai sahib mean by this.

Great post.
Just would like clarification on one thing. if one becomes dhilla in certain rehit hence becoming tankhaiya he should do peshi and receive tankaah and possibily choole, then he is forgiven, but here bhai sahib says ardaas also needs to be done? what does bhai sahib mean by this.

Many mistakes can be forgiven in the Sangat after Sangat gives out Tankhaah but for bigger mistakes e.g. 4 Bajjar Kurehits etc, one should get pesh at the Darbar of Punj Pyare. Here Bhai Sahib is referring to the Tankhaah for which the peshi is done in Sangat. There should be an Ardaas after the Peshi, asking for forgiveness of the mistake and allowing the individual to do sewa.

Kulbir Singh
I was wondering if langar seva is violating REhat Maryada it it wrong to participate in such Seva. For example, if you go to a Gurdwara where their are tables and chairs would it be wrong to partake in the Seva? I often feel strange serving food in which I feel is to inappropriate to eat. Doesnt this make me a pakhandi?

This has been a problem I have been thinking about for awhile. Before I would just do the seva and not think about it and for this reasons I would get blessings ( anand) . But then there where times that out of principle I did not do such seva and I too received blessings. it appears that it pleases Guru Ji to follow principles at the same time it pleases Guru Ji to do seva without a judging mind. Therefore, I do not know which is the best method to take to please Guru Ji?
thanks iv been wanting to read about this alot
Sukhdeep Singh jeeo,

I was wondering if langar seva is violating REhat Maryada it it wrong to participate in such Seva. For example, if you go to a Gurdwara where their are tables and chairs would it be wrong to partake in the Seva? I often feel strange serving food in which I feel is to inappropriate to eat. Doesnt this make me a pakhandi?

I think a Gursikh should avoid participating in such sewa that violates Rehit Maryada. As an example, let's assume that a Bibeki Gursikh is doing sewa in a Khula Langar (open Langar). A gullible Bibeki Gursikh may see a Bibeki Gursikh doing sewa in tha Langar and assume that the Langar has been prepared as per Gurmat Maryada and may decide to eat it and doing so will result in breaking his Bibeki Rehit. So it is prudent to participate in such sewa at Gurdwara Sahibaan that is done in accordance to Gurmat Rehit Maryada.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login