ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Asun-

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Asun-
September 15, 2012 05:20PM
Tomorrow is an auspicious day for Gursikhs because it marks the day the throne of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was passed on to Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji by Sri Guru Raam Das JI. Tomorrow also marks the first day of the Indian month ( sangrand) known as Asun.. In the month of Asu , Sri Guru Ji states

ਵਿਣੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਿਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੀ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਜਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਚਾਖਿਆ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਰਸੁ ਸੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਰਹੇ ਆਘਾਇ ॥
Without God how can one find PEACE? There is no other place ( refuge). Those who have tasted the loving essense of God remain content and satisified.

Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji has made it clear without God one cannot find peace. So how can we find God , how can we gain peace? In the first verse of the wondeful bani " Sri Sukhmani Sahib" , Sri Guru Arjan DeV ji provides us with the perfect solution.

ਸਿਮਰਉ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਉ ॥ ਕਲਿ ਕਲੇਸ ਤਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਮਿਟਾਵਉ ॥
Meditate, Meditate, and Meditate; thus you will gain peace and your worries will get destroyed.
- Sri Sukhmani Sahib, Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji

This invaluable advice is one of the many pricesless teachings in Sri Sukhmani Sahib . There are numerous defitions that people give this bani. The most learned scholars such as Bhai Kahn Singh Ji, Bhai Veer Singh Ji, and Bhai Joginder SIngh JI mention the most popular defition is " the bani ( prayer) that gives the mind peace". In the first puari of Sri Sukhmani Sahib the following verses occur

ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸੁਖ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਨਾਮੁ ॥

ਭਗਤ ਜਨਾ ਕੈ ਮਨਿ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Sukhmani Sahib brings peace and is the eseence of Gods nectarian name. The mind of those devotees who recite this bani exprience true rest( peace).

Hence, Sri Sukhmani Sahib is the bani which brings peace to the mind. This is one of the many benefits of reciting Sri Sukhmani Sahib.
The benefits of reciting Sri Sukhmani Sahib are immeruable. In Sri Sukhmani Sahib , Sri Guru Ji himself has mentioned the benefits of this bani. Because Sri Sukhmani Sahib is the essence of naam and helps us contemplate naam ( Gods name) then we reap all the benefits of reciting Gods name when we recite Sri SUkhmani Sahib.

ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਹਜ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੁਨ ਨਾਮ ॥ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਨਿ ਬਸੈ ਸੁ ਹੋਤ ਨਿਧਾਨ ॥ ਸਰਬ ਇਛਾ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਪੂਰਨ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਟੁ ਸਭ ਲੋਇ ॥ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਚ ਪਾਏ ਅਸਥਾਨੁ ॥ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਆਵਨ ਜਾਨੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਖਾਟਿ ਚਲੈ ਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸਹਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੫॥ ਖੇਮ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਰਿਧਿ ਨਵ ਨਿਧਿ ॥ ਬੁਧਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਸਰਬ ਤਹ ਸਿਧਿ ॥ ਬਿਦਿਆ ਤਪੁ ਜੋਗੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Many people recite this bani for better health or more wealth. No doubt these things will occur through this bani, but the greatest gift this bani gives is the gift of Naam Abhyiaas. This is the greatest gift because Naam allows one to experience true peace. In " Suraj Parkaash" Kavi Santokh Singh Ji mentions how Gursikhs approached Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji and requested Sri Guru Ji to write a bani which would bring the mind true peace and make each breath during the 24 hour cycle a success. Hearing the request of his Gursikhs , Sri Guru Ji in all his kind mercy composed the bani " Sri Sukhmani Sahib" Many extinguished Gurmukh Gianis have confirmed how this bani allows one to engage in meditation and thus gain true peace.

Giani Gurbachan Singh Ji and Sant Kartar Singh Ji mention when we recite Sri Sukhmani Sahib each breath becomes fruitful for 24 hours. Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji mentions when ones thoughts cease during meditation a person experiences temporary peace which makes one comfortable with their level of spirituality; thus, this peace is really a burden in the path of sprituality because through this type of peace we get to comfortable and we forget to praise God which is the real solution to real peace. Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji mentions when we experience his kind of temporary peace then we should recite Sri Sukhmani Sahib and engage in devotional meditation because Sri Sukhmani Sahib is a boost and great encouragement in praising Gods name. Baba Nand Singh Ji mentions how the demonic figure Satan does not come close to those devotees who recite Sri Sukhmani Sahib. Satans is a very powerful figure his goal is to prevent people from worshipping God, but when we recite Sri Sukhmani Sahib then Satan remains weak and thus we can full engage in devotional meditation. When Bhai Mani Singh Ji was being chopped from limb to limb by the Mughal tyrants his mind was full of peace and he did not feel any pain. Why? He was reciting Sri Sukhmani Sahib during his execution. Such is the greatness of Sri Sukhmani Sahib. So because Naam ( Gods name) brings the mind peace ( sukhmani) then the bani Sukhmani Sahib in essence is naam and derived from naam ; thus, allowing us to get closer and closer to naam which is the medicine to all diseases.

ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਗੁਣਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ॥੮॥

I get my daroo ( medicine) from ang two sixty two

Waaheguroooooooooooooooooo!

Sukhmani Sahib is the medicine I take each day

without you I will fall from Sri Guru Jis pathway

Reciting "Sukhmani Sukh Amirt Prabh Naam"

The bells start to ring from the naam- alarm

Sukhmani Sahib Sehaj Ki Bani

Reciting you one experinces harmony

Sukhmani Sahib you are a boat in Kaljug

Your bring warmth like a mothers hug

Reciting Sri Sukhmani Sahib, we experince the holy city Sri Amritsar

Agaam Apaar, Sri Guru Arjan- Akaal you never seem far.

Through you the winter heart turns to the spring season

Sri Sukhmani you scare " Kaljug" the terrifying demon.

Reciting Sri Sukhmani you remove the kaamic heat

Reciting Sri Sukhmani the panj doot becomes weak

Yes indeed through sukhmani sahib we reduce anger and lust

Eventually we begin to regard gold as mere dust

You remove all the minds filth

You provide the begger with boundless wealth

Sri Sukhman Sahib to you my heart I surrender

Through you the heart becomes soft and tender

You make each breath a success

without you we invite a horrible death

YOu are the iron-armor of forbearnce

allowing us to endure your loving essence

In this auspicious month of Asun may Sri Guru Ji bless us with the daily recitation of Sri Sukhmani Sahib smiling smiley
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Asun-
September 15, 2012 08:33PM
Excellent thoughts and thanks for the reminder about the arrival of new month of Assu.

Kulbir Singh
September 15, 2012 10:50PM
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Baba Nand
> Singh Ji mentions how the demonic figure Satan
> does not come close to those devotees who recite
> Sri Sukhmani Sahib. Satans is a very powerful
> figure his goal is to prevent people from
> worshipping God, but when we recite Sri Sukhmani
> Sahib then Satan remains weak and thus we can full
> engage in devotional meditation.

Great post Sukhdeep Singh Jee. But the part about Satan. I don't think it was Satan as Sikhi does not beleive in Satan. The concept of Satan is a middle eastern concept belonging to the Semitic faiths. The Saakhi of Bhai Nand Lal Jee involved Kaliyug which is not Satan.
September 16, 2012 12:23AM
September 16, 2012 07:39AM
rsingh Wrote:
>
> Great post Sukhdeep Singh Jee. But the part about
> Satan. I don't think it was Satan as Sikhi does
> not beleive in Satan. The concept of Satan is a
> middle eastern concept belonging to the Semitic
> faiths. The Saakhi of Bhai Nand Lal Jee involved
> Kaliyug which is not Satan.

Sorry, I meant Bhai Nand Singh Jee, not Bhai Nand Lal Jee
September 16, 2012 07:39AM
rsingh Wrote:
>
> Great post Sukhdeep Singh Jee. But the part about
> Satan. I don't think it was Satan as Sikhi does
> not beleive in Satan. The concept of Satan is a
> middle eastern concept belonging to the Semitic
> faiths. The Saakhi of Bhai Nand Lal Jee involved
> Kaliyug which is not Satan.

Sorry, I meant Baba Nand Singh Jee, not Bhai Nand Lal Jee
September 16, 2012 03:51PM
RSingh Jee,

Just because words to describe a demon or angel exist in different religions it doesnt mean such things do not exist in Sikhi. Abhramic faiths believe in " Izrarel" the angel of death. We to believe in IZareal and the word is often used in Gurbani along with Dharam Rai/ Dharm Raj. The concept is different but that actual being is real and we believe such a being exist. Generally speaking Missionries deny the existence of Satan, and Dharam Rai.

The words "Devil" and " Satan" in Christianity dervies from the Hebrew word Shatan. The word and concept of Shatan does exist in Gurmat , but it differs from the Abrahmic concept, and the description differs from the Abrahmic desciption. Abrahmic faiths descibe Satan as large figure with wings and four faces. Gurbani , and Gurmat Histroy decribe Satan ( Kaljug) as gigantic dark figure with big teeth.I use the words Maya, Kaljug ( not the ages), Shatan, Satan , and Devil interchangeably because I believe they are one and the same being. The same way I use the word God, Elohim, yaweh, Akal Purakh, and interchangeably. Just because the words Elohim, God, and Yaweh do not exist in Gurbani it does not mean the being Elohim ( God) is real. The word Satan does not exist in Gurbani, but the word Shatan does. Its not wise to start questioning Gurbani and assume Gurbani is using methphors to explain such serious issues . R Singh Jeeo we have already discussed this issue. I have given refernece to Gurbani and History and you chose to ignore this so I see no reason to keep going on and on about it. You are free to believe as you wish.
September 16, 2012 03:53PM
I forget to mention the Sakhi about Kaljug is not just by Baba Nand SIngh Ji. Bhai Vir Singh Ji, Bhai Bala Ji, and Kavi Santokh Singh Ji also mention this sakhi.
September 17, 2012 09:01AM
I don't know yaar, this whole Satan concept an alternative negative counter weight to Vaheguru seems very Radhasoamish to me where they also beleive in an entity called Kaal who "makes" you do anything evil.

I don't think Kaliyug something that is evil. It is a time period where the whole world is engulfed in evil. But in our spriptures Kaliyug is also considered the greatest yug because the Gur Jyoti manifested itself in this time period in the form of the 10 Gurus. Plus in this yug one can achieve their spiritual goal much faster where as in the previous yugs it took hundreds of years of Tapasya to get anywhere.

In our Dharmic scriptures, it is the emotions of Kaam Krodh Lobh Moh and Ahankaar that are identified repeatedly. Even those emotions are not evil by default, they are only emotions. It is a daily battle for a Sikh to either control them or else they will over power us and control us. If a Sikh can utilize them properly then they are not bad, but if a Sikh gets used by them then that is bad.
September 17, 2012 10:18AM
Yaaweh da Yaara,

The problem is you keep viewing Satan/ kaljug from a Christian perspective this is why you keep denying its existence as a Gursikh. Once again the concept and being of Satan differs from Abrahimic traditions. According to the Abrahmic traditoins , Satan is a fallen angel; thus the reason he is depicted with wings. However, in Gurmat, Satan has come through the Hukum of Sri Guru Ji; thus he respects and is completely under the command of Sri Guru JI. He bows to Sri Guru Ji and even bows to Gursikhs who japp naam.

According to Janam Sakhis, Satan never comes close to the sangat in which Gursikhs assemble to japp naam and sing Gurbani Kirtan instead he waits outside. When degh is being distrubuted he wipes the shoes of sangat. Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji has also mentioned this. I kindly suggest you refer to history and other Gurmat related texts when trying to understand such theolgical topics our own "mat" can only take us so far .
September 17, 2012 08:30PM
I forgot to include my favorite Sukhmani Sahib recording in the original post. Here is part one
[media.waheguroo.com]

This recording is extremely beautiful, and is the best recording available.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login