ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dietary Bibek - Universal Rehat for the Khalsa

Posted by Manmander Singh 
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

Bibek is a universal Rehat for the Khalsa, it is not a choice, it is Guru Sahib's hukam to us to keep Bibek. As Guru Ke Khalsa we cannot eat from anywhere and everywhere, there are standards for the Khalsa of Guru Gobind Singh. Guru Sahib said:

ਖਾਲਸੇ ਕਰ ਮੇਰੋ ਸਤਕਾਰਾ
I am honoured because of the Khalsa.

Guru Sahib says he is honoured because of the Khalsa, Guru Sahib holds the Khalsa very highly.

ਖਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਾਨ ਕੀ ਜਾਨ
Khalsa is my life & soul

Guru Sahib says that Khalsa is my everything. Guru Sahib has placed us in such a high place.

ਹਮ ਰੁਲਤੇ ਫਿਰਤੇ ਕੋਈ ਬਾਤ ਨ ਪੂਛਤਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੰਗਿ ਕੀਰੇ ਹਮ ਥਾਪੇ ॥
I was rolling around in the dirt, and no one cared for me at all. In the Company of the Guru, the True Guru, I, the worm, have been raised up and exalted.

Without Guru Jee we are nothing, so if Guru Sahib has given us Hukam then we must follow it!

ਗੁਰਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਹੁ ॥
So do that work, which the Guru tells you to do.

Guru Sahib has told us to follow Bibek, there is enough evidence to support this. It is the Rehni-Behni of a Gursikh.

Bibek is infact a Khalsa Rehat not just for the Jatha Sikhs.

Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee and Bibek

Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee all their life kept a Strong Bibeki Pehra. Daas had the chance to Talk to a few of Sant Jee's students, one being Bhagat Jaswant Singh Jee (of [gursevak.com]). I asked them if Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee kept Sarbloh Bibek. What Bhagat Jee said was originally Sant Jee did keep Sarbloh Bibek and did so for a while. They only stopped when they got really old but still went all over India to do parchar. With an old body and the amount of travelling they did it became hard for them to keep Sarbloh Bibek, but nonetheless they still kept a strong Bibeki Pehra. They would only eat food made by Amrit Dhari Singhs that was made while they recited Bani. Bhagat Jee said the entire Jatha was bibeki and only ate from Amrit Dharis. Infact the Laangri Singhs and Degh Sevadaars were very strict Bibeki Singhs. When they were doing Seva they never spoke anything but recited Gurbani and did jaap of vaahigurooo vaahigurooo vaahigurooo.

Sant Gurbachan Singh in their writings and Katha make it clear how important Bibek is in Sikhi. Sant Kartar Singh writes about Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee's Bibeki Pehra:

ਜੇਕਰ ਮੋਨੇ ਜਾਂ ਸਿਗਰਟ ਪੀਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਦੇ ਹਥੋਂ ਲੰਗਰ ਦੀ ਕੋਈ ਮਠਿਆਈ ਆਦਿਕ ਬਣਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਨਾ ਆਪ ਛਕਦੇ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਜਥੇ ਨੂੰ ਛਕਣ ਦਿੰਦੇ। ਆਪ ਜੀ ਸੁਚਮ ਪਵਿੱਤਰਤਾ ਬਹੁਤ ਰਖਦੇ ਨਾ । ਕਦੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ ਜੂਠਾ ਖਾਂਦੇ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਖੁਵਾਉਂਦੇ। ਚਾਹ, ਅਫੀਮ ਆਦਿਕ ਨਸ਼ੀਲੀ ਚੀਜ਼ ਦੇ ਵਰਤੋਂ ਦੇ ਸਖਤ ਵਿਰੋਧੀ ਸਨ ।

If a Mona, or someone that smoked made any langar, sweets, etc. Sant Jee would not eat it or let any of the Jatha eat it. They kept a lot of cleanliness. They would never eat any Joot or let anyone else in the Jatha eat any Joot. Sant Jee were against the usage of Cha (Tea), Opium and other intoxicating drugs.

Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee keeping the importance of Sarbloh says that during an Amrit Sanchar all utensils used should be of Sarbloh. The Baltee, Garva, Bate, Karahee,Khanda, Kirpan etc. everything that is used to make Degh and Amrit should be of Sarbloh. Degh should always be made in Sarbloh, with a Sarbloh Karaahee, Sarbloh Karshee. When Bhog is done the Kirpaan should be of Sarbloh.

Sant Kartar Singh Bhindranwale & Bibek
Taken from Yeh Rutbe Lahoo Baha Ke Liye by Bibi Satvant Kaur
Translated by Admin www.tapoban.org

Sant Kartar Singh Bhindranwale had very strict attitude towards bibek. Here are a couple stories about this:

The Alcoholic Driver
Sant Kartar Singh Bhindranwale went on parchar missions not just inside Punjab but all across India including Calcutta and Bombay. Sant Kartar Singh would not eat food from the home of a manmukh. Only an amritdhari family could prepare the food for him. But it must be noted that if any family, be they Sikh or Punjabi, even if they were not amritdhari, wished to meet Sant jee, he would certainly go and encourage them to chhak amrit.

During Sant jee’s program in Bombay, a Punjabi Sikh (who was a truck driver) asked Sant jee to visit his home. Sant jee gave him a time he would arrive.

When that Punjabi Sikh left, other Singhs told Sant jee that he drank a lot of liquor and he also cut his hair and so it was best if Sant jee did not go to such a bujjer kurehitee’s home. It is important to note here that the Punjabi Sikh driver was quite poor and barely earned enough to eat twice a day.

However the driver’s wife had complete faith in Guru Sahib. When she heard from other Sikh bibian that Sant jee was coming to Bombay, she pressed her husband to ask Sant jee to come to their home. She thought that if a Chardi Kala Singh who read bani would come to their home, perhaps everything would change for them. The truck driver had no interest in meeting Sant jee but upon being pressed, he invited Sant jee. When he returned home that day, he said to his wife, “That Sant does big programs and people beg him to come to their homes. What is he going to get by coming to our poor house?”

Arrival at the Home & Promise.
The next day at the set time, Sant jee along with the other Singhs arrived at the home. Seeing them, the driver left his home and hid at the neighbours. He was afraid that if Sant jee saw he was an alcoholic he may receive a curse.

The wife however immediately put a washed sheet on the bed and asked Sant jee to take a seat. Sant jee sat down and saw that the wife was quickly warming milk. He called out, “Bibi! First call your husband. We’ll drink milk later.”

She went to the neighbour’s home and convinced her husband to come. Sant jee asked both to sit in front of him and he asked the driver, “Brother, what do you want to talk about?”

Instead of speaking, the driver put his hands together and hung his head. The wife however, with folded hands said with humility, “jee, our home is very poor. My husband spends more on liquor than what he earns. He doesn’t even say Vahiguru nor does he go to Sangat. Please bless our family.”

The driver shrunk ever further down and thought to himself that Sant jee will surely curse him now. Sant jee picked up his long arrow and lightly tapped the driver on the head and said, “well brother, what’s your name?”

The driver replied, “jee, Piara…”

“Brother, it’s not enough to be just Piara (beloved), you’re going to have to become Guru Ka Piara (Guru’s beloved). You have to chhak amrit and become a Singh. Become Piara Singh, the Guru’s son. In the future you are not to even think about liquor. You must stay away from the bujjer kurehits and adopt Sikhi. Both of you should chhak amrit and have your children also do the same. Go to Gurdwara every day. By listening to katha and kirtan, wash your sins and whenever there is a Satsangat nearby, go there along with your children. Vahiguru will himself have mercy on you. When you become tyar-bar-tyar then I will certainly take milk at your home.”

Both husband and wife promised to chhak amrit soon and Sant jee himself stood and did the ardaas. Jaikaras were shouted at the end.

Today, in short, Piara Singh does seva in the Punj Pyaray when amrit sinchaars take place in Bombay. Along with Sikh, great success came to his home and his business increased many fold.

Letter to Bhai Amrik Singh
Shahid Bhai Amrik Singh, Sant Kartar Singh’s son, was studying at Khalsa College in Amritsar when someone complained to Sant jee that he would eat food in the College cafeteria. Sant jee said that it was against Rehit to eat from just anywhere and this may have a bad influence on others. Sant jee wrote to Bhai Amrik Singh from Calcutta, where he was doing parchaar:

Below is a letter sent by Sant Kartar Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale to his son, Bhai Sahib Bhai Amrik Singh Jee, condemning him for not keeping Bibek and eating openly. He tells Bhai Amrik Singh (who was called Bhai Harbhajan Singh) that look at the honour and respect of the Jatha. He says it is not good to eat freely, it will ruin your Gursikhi Jeevan. Sant Jee says I will be ashamed if someone tells me your son does not keep Rehat. He says there is no point in studying if it is at the sake of keeping Rehat. Gurmat Rehat is above all!

Ik Oankaar Sri Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh

Young Harbhajan Singh [Bhai Amrik Singh was called Harbhajan Singh in the Jatha], please accept my Gur Fateh. The Jatha is happy and I hope you are also doing well. I sent a letter to our village but have not received a reply. The Jatha will leave Calcutta on 27 Fuggan to go to Sri Hazoor Sahib to celebrate Holla Mohalla and then there will be programs in Bombay.

I have heard that you are eating whatever from just any store. This is not right. Look at the honour of the Jatha, look at your own jeevan. I want you to make you a beautiful and strong preacher of Gurmat but you too must make your lifestyle high. I will be ashamed if someone says that Harbhajan Singh doesn’t keep rehit, doesn’t read bani and eats just anywhere. Don’t make any mistakes. Study with attention and get good marks. Be sure to read bani, keep rehit and then your studying will be fruitful, otherwise not. What more should I write? You are smart and you will understand this to be enough. May Maharaj do kirpa on you and keep you in Chardi Kala.

Fateh from the entire Jatha. Send me a letter in your own hand and tell me about how things are going in the village.

Servant of the Guru-Kartar Singh ‘Khalsa’

This letter was sent by hand through Baba Thara Singh who was to also personally tell Bhai Sahib not to eat anything from outside.

Later on, Bhai Sahib stopped eating from the cafeteria and began eating at the home of a local Gursikh, Bhai Avtar Singh.

Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji and Sucham
Once Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji was travelling in the moga area for Amrit parchaar and many of the Singhs on the bus were very hungry. One young Singh got off the bus and bought a banana from one of those people with carts that sell fruit and vegetable in Punjab. The Singh ate the Banana with out washing it and another Singh told sant ji. Once the bus got moving again, sant ji asked the Singh in front of the entire bus if he had eaten the banana, the Singh replied, Yes. Sant ji grabbed both of the Singhs ears and made him do baatka (squats) for 34km while sant ji held his ears.

Baba Nihal Singh Ji, Jathedar Taruna Dal - listen to their views on Panth Khalsa

Bhagat Jaswant Singh Jee - student of Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh Jee Bhindranwale

Bhagat Jaswant Singh Jee (Lovingly called Bhagat Jee) is a student of Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh Jee Bhindranwale, here he shares his views on Sarbloh Bibek. Below is the original from one of their Books, and a Humble translation:

ਜਿਸ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਸੱਚੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਭੋਗ ਲੁਆਇਆ ਹੈ,ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਬਿਬੇਕੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਖਾਂਦੇ? ਪਦਾਰਥ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ, ਜੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਮਰਿਯਾਦਾ ਸੁੱਚਮ, ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਦਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਪਹਿਰਾ ਨ ਹੋਵੇ, ਤਾਂ ਆਪਾਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਗੁਰਮਖਿ ਬਿਬੇਕੀ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਨ ਕਹੀਏ,ਆਪਣੀ ਸੋਧ ਕਰੀਏ ਜੀ
That food even it has been blessed by Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee (i.e. Kirpan Bhet), but it was not made according to complete maryada and utmost cleanliness was not kept while making the food,and Sarbloh Utensils were not used, then we should not tell a Bibeki Gursikh, to eat that food, instead we should correct ourselves, and make the food in Sarbloh, with complete maryada and cleanliness.

Bhagat Jee then shares some more thoughts on Sarbloh Bibek, they are presented below with translations:

"ਨੌਨ ਸਟਿਕ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ, ਸਟੀਲ, ਪਿੱਤਲ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਤਿਆਗ ਕਰੋ ਜੀ, ਕੇਵਲ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਵਰਤਣੇ ਬਹੁਤ ਹੀ
ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਹਨ..."
Here Bhagat Jee says to never use non-stick, steel, or brass utensils, only use sarbloh utensils. Bhagat Jee says it is very important to use Sarbloh utensils.

"ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਦੀ ਮਹਾਨਤਾ: ਪਰਮਪੂਜਨੀਕ ਸੱਚੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿਆ ਜਾਣ ਕੇ,
ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਨੂੰ ਮਹਾਨਤਾ ਦੇਣੀ ਚਾਹੀਦੀ ਹੈ।ਹੱਥੀਂ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਚ, ਆਪ ਬਣਾ ਕੇ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਛਕੋ। ਸਰਬਲੋਹ
ਚ ਬਣੀ ਦਾਲ਼ ਕਾਲ਼ੀ ਕਹਿ ਕੇ ਨਫ਼ਰਤ ਨ ਕਰੋ।ਵੱਡਭਾਗੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਦੇ ਪਤੀਲੇ ਚ ਦਾਲ਼ ਸਬਜ਼ੀ
ਬਣਾਉਣ, ਮੱਠੀ-ਮੱਠੀ ਅੱਗ ਤੇ ਰਿੰਨ੍‍ਣ,ਅਤੀ ਸੁਆਦ ਬਣਦੀ ਹੈ ।"
The Greatness of Sarbloh- Recognize that Sarbloh Bibek is a great gift given to us by Guru Jee so because of this we should respect and recognize the greatness of Sarbloh Bibek. Don't get turned off by the colour of food made in Sarbloh, i.e daal turns a blackish colour. Daal and Sabzee made in Sarbloh is extremely tasty!

"ਪੂਰਨ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਗਿਆਨੀ ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਲਿਖਦੇ ਹਨ, ਭੈੜੀ ਤੋਂ ਭੈੜੀ ਚੀਜ਼ ’ਤੇ, ਮੰਦੀ
ਨਿਗਾ ਪੈਣੇ ਕਰਕੇ ਭ੍ਰਿਸਟ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਆਪ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਛਕੋ ਛਕਾਉ,
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੋ ਜਪਾਉ, ਭੈੜੀਆਂ ਬਿਮਾਰੀਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਚੋ ਬਚਾਉ। ਇੱਕ ਤਾਂ ਚੀਜ਼ਾਂ ਭੈੜੀਆਂ ਹਨ, ਦੂਜਾ ਬਣਾਉਣ ਵਾਲੇ
ਤਮਾਕੂ ਸ਼ਰਾਬ ਬੈਡ ਕ੍ਰੈਕਟ੍ਰ ਹੋਣੇ ਕਰਕੇ, ਹੋਰ ਭੀ ਭੈੜੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਆਪ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਛਕੋ ਛਕਾਉ..."
Bhai Gurdas Jee writes that even the dirtiest and dirtiest of things can be made even dirtier when a bad person looks at them, in this Shabad:

ਮਦ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਿਧਾ ਪਾਇ ਕੈ ਕੁਤੇ ਦਾ ਮਾਸੁ॥
The meat of dog cooked in the wine was,
ਧਰਿਆ ਮਾਣਸ ਖੋਪਰੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੰਦੀ ਵਾਸੁ॥
Along with its foul smell, kept in the human skull.
ਰਤੂ ਭਰਿਆ ਕਪੜਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਜਣੁ ਤਾਸੁ॥
It was covered with blood stained cloth.
ਢਕਿ ਲੈ ਚਲੀ ਚੂਹੜੀ ਕਰਿ ਭੋਗ ਬਿਲਾਸੁ॥
Covering thus, the scavenger woman (chuhari) after appeasing her lust was carrying that bowl.
ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਏ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਲਾਹੇ ਵਿਸਵਾਸੁ॥
On being asked about (the abominable covered material) she cleared the doubt,
ਨਦਰੀ ਪਵੈ ਅਕਿਰਤਘਣੁ ਮਤੁ ਹੋਇ ਵਿਣਾਸੁ ॥੯ ॥
By saying that she had covered the meat to hide it from the sight of an ungrateful person to avoid its pollution.(9)

Bhagat Jee is saying that Langar made today in a Gurdwara is made by those that smoke,drink, and have bad character, so for this reason this food should not be eaten by Gursikhs. So Gursikhs should prepare langar in Sarbloh and eat that.

"ਪਰਮਪੂਜਨੀਕ ਧੰਨ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਮਹੱਲੇ ਦਸਵੇਂ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਤਕਰੀਬਨ ਸਵਾ ਤਿੰਨ ਸੌ ਵਰੇ੍‍ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਲੋਹੇ ਦੇ ਬਾਟਿਆਂ ਚ
ਛਕਣ ਦੀ ਮਰਯਾਦਾ ਬਣਾਈ, ਅੱਜ ਡਾਕਟ੍ਰ ਲਬਾਟ੍ਰੀ ਟੈਸਟ ਕਰਕੇ ਦੱਸਦੇ ਹਨ...ਮਹੱਲੇ ਦਸਵੇਂ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਅਮੋਲਕ ਸ਼ੁਭ ਸੱਚੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਲੋਹੇ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ ਚ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਬਣਾਉ ਅਤੇ ਛਕੋ ਜੀ। ...ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਚ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਬਣਾ ਕੇ,ਕੱਢ ਕੇ ਮਿੱਟੀ ਚੀਨੀ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਚ ਰੱਖੋ।"
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee started Sarbloh Bibek Maryada 300 years ago, Guru Jee knew the health benefits of cooking and eating in Sarbloh, these same benefits are only now being discovered by Doctors. This is Hukam of Guru Jee for his Sikhs to cook and eat in Sarbloh. After making food in Sarbloh it should be stored in Mitee or Chinee vale Bhande.

"ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਬਣਾਉਣ ਤੇ ਛਕਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਬਰਤਨ ਚੰਗ਼ੀ
ਤਰਾਂ ਰੇਤੇ ਸਾਬਣ ਨਾਲ ਮਾਂਜੋ।ਹੱਥਾਂ ’ਚ ਚੂੜੀ, ਛਾਪ ਨ ਹੋਵੇ।
ਨਲਕੇ ਜਾਂ ਟੂਟੀ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਬਣ ਨਾਲ ਚੰਗੀ ਤਰਾਂ ਸਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ।
ਫਾਰਮੀ ਘਿਉ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣਾ।ਬਜ਼ਾਰ ਦਾ ਬਣਿਆਂ ਪਨੀਰ,ਪਕੌੜੀਆਂ,
ਸੇਵੀਆਂ,ਦਹੀਂ ਚੀਨੀ ਕੱਚ ਦਾ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣਾ।ਲੰਗਰ ਬਨਾਉਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਸਾਰੇ
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰੀ ਹੋਣ ਜਾਂ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਛਕਣ ਦਾ ਵਾਅਦਾ ਕਰਨ।ਧਰਮ ਪ੍ਰਚਾਰਕ ਜੱਥੇ ਪੰਜ
ਪਿਆਰਿਆਂ ਲਈ ਚਾਹ ਪੱਤੀ ਬਿਲਕੁਲ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣੀ।ਇੱਥੋਂ ਤੱਕ ਚਾਹ ਵਾਲੇ
ਭਾਂਡੇ ’ਚ ਜਲ ਪਾਣੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਨਾਉਣਾ ਤੇ ਚਾਹ ਵਾਲੇ ਹੱਥ ਕਿਸੇ ਬਰਤਨ ਨੂੰ
ਨਹੀਂ ਲਾਉਣੇ।ਲੰਗਰ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਇੱਕ ਥਾਂ ਰੱਖ ਦੇਣਾ ਵਰਤਾਉਣ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ,
ਜੱਥੇ ਦੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਆਪ ਕਰਨਗ਼ੇ।ਸੁੱਚ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਤਾ ਦਾ ਖਿਆਲ ਰੱਖ਼ਣਾ ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਾਦਾ ਤਿਆਰ
ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ ਪੈਰ, ਮੂੰਹ ਆਦਿ ਨੂੰ ਹੱਥ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਾਉਣੇ।"
To make Bibeki Langar the utensils should be properly cleaned. Those making langar should not be wearing jewellery (i.e bangals, rings etc.). Wash the water pump or where ever you get water from properly with soap and water before using the water. Food that is made outside like paneer, pakoria, seveean should not be used. Use home made version, use home made butter. Everyone that is making langar should be amrit dhari or should promise to take amrit soon. Those that do Seva in Panj Pyare are not allowed to drink Cha at all, infact they should not even use the utensil that has ever been used to make cha. If cha is made for the rest of the sangat, the person making it should not touch anything else. After making the Langar, the sevaadaars should leave it in a clean place. Singhs of the Jatha (Jatha Bhindran) will distribute it themselves. Whilst making the food, the sevadaars should never touch their face, feet, etc.

I merely compiled all the info together and corrected a few spelling mistakes

Manmander Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Wonderful compilation of thoughts and evidence on Bibek. Guru Sahib hor Kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Wonderful effort! Thanks for sharing...

>ਬਜ਼ਾਰ ਦਾ ਬਣਿਆਂ ਪਨੀਰ,ਪਕੌੜੀਆਂ,
>ਸੇਵੀਆਂ,ਦਹੀਂ ਚੀਨੀ ਕੱਚ ਦਾ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣਾ।

Can you please explain it about ਚੀਨੀ ਕੱਚ ਦਾ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣਾ? I didn't get it?
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
So even buying seveean, and paneer from grocery is not allowed?
And banana has to be washed, although it has the peel on it?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
ks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
> Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
> So even buying seveean, and paneer from grocery is
> not allowed?
> And banana has to be washed, although it has the
> peel on it?
> Bhul chuk muaf
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
> Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Only raw material and unprocessed food.Yes, as soon as peel is not damaged!
You should read Gurmat Bibek book.
Thank-you Bhawan Gill Ji,
Which Gurmat bibek book are you referring to, please?
I am just wondering a person engaged on this site for more than a year,still doesn't know which book named as "Gurmat Bibek".
"Gurmat Bibek" book written by Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh jee!

If you don't know what "Gurmat bibek" is,I must say, your just wasting your time in debates rather than gaining Tat Gurmat.
"your just wasting your time in
debates rather than gaining Tat Gurmat"

now that's a bit harsh Ms. Gill.
U shudnt make such understatements, Ms. Gill...
Thank-you Jaspreet Singh Ji,
Bhawan Gill Ji,
my question is not what Gurmat bibek is but which particular book, because there are many on the web and stores, which sometimes cause a view in one book to be contradicted in another.
Humility, kindness, and patience as u would with your loved ones Bhawan Ji is what lets others know that one is indeed imbued with tat gurmat..
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru
Dhun Gursikhi!
Great Mehma Of Gursikhi Rehit!

Thank You Very Much Gurmukh Sajan Bh. Manmandar Singh Ji!!

Daas
Amanjot Singh
Guys! I purposely said in that sense so you can realize the importance of gaining tat Gurmat and stay away from useless debates. I didn't meant your into useless debates so far, but truly I that was my first reaction after I read your post.

I do apologies,if you felt harsh! Though,it's true!
Bhawan Gill Jio,
are u a female or male, and if want to turn a discussion into a debate here goes:
A tat gurmat Sikh shoul take pride in Singh or Kaur last name!
If u truly have concern for Gurmat values, then read slowly, my post, and yours, then do ardas to Guru Maharaj, whose post is really a debate, and what indeed is Gurmat? Just exterior or deep within jio??
1) We use ingredients made by manmukhi/aanmatiye gentlemen- Desi ghio, Bataasey etc. and almost all other ingredients processed in machines by the same bemukhans as they are called- all water, sugar, salt, pulses, rice, flour. Then there is a sarabloh milk and the otherwise. We of course take all other services from bemukhans- our clothes, houses etc. and the air, we do share with everyone.

2) Help in interpreting maharaj’s hukam- roti beti di sanjh khalsa ji nal, chhaad man har bemukhan ko sang et al. What are the thresholds?

3) In the context of bhojan, we have ‘kaho pandit sucha kavan thaon, jahan bais hao bhojan khao’ (juthi karchi parosan laga VS washing the tap et al).

4) How true is this bhojan which is prepared by ingredients unworthy of being called bibeki? What is that sucha bhojan that pleases maharaj? Again, what is the ‘threshold’ of bibeki bhojan?

Gurmat bibek, the book has not answered this doubt of mine. I see all these ingredients used by in all bibeki langar prepared here. I thus resort to asking you.
singhbanda jeeo hs valid points for debate.

My simple answer is to that is as a minimum we must abide by the Akal takhT Rehat Maryada - anything above or beyond the Akal Takht proves futile no matter how many times you bring up this topic.
Khalsa ji
I have no intention to heed the anti-gurmatbibeki sentiments. All I look for is a clarification if be possible. Please save yourself from explaining why bibek and bhojan bibek as a part of it, is a hukam.
Good questions "SinghBanda" jeeo.

1) We use ingredients made by manmukhi/aanmatiye gentlemen- Desi ghio, Bataasey etc. and almost all other ingredients processed in machines by the same bemukhans as they are called- all water, sugar, salt, pulses, rice, flour. Then there is a sarabloh milk and the otherwise. We of course take all other services from bemukhans- our clothes, houses etc. and the air, we do share with everyone.

The Hukam of Bibek is clear in Gurbani. All those Pankitis that tell us to avoid Sangat of Manmukhs and do Sangat of Gurmukhs are in fact Hukams to keep Bibek. Bibek in practical sense is learned in the Sangat of Gurmukhs. What to do and how to keep Bibek is only learned when we do Seva with Bibeki Gurmukhs.

100% Bibeki is Vaheguru alone who despite being in everything in this visible world, is totally Nirlep (aloof) from it. Not even an iota of Maya touches Him. We are mortal beings and we can do only so much. We can't be perfect Bibekis but still we should follow as much as is possible. The path of Gurmat Bibek has been established by Puratan Gurmukhs e.g Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, Sant Gurbachan Singh jee Bhindranwale etc. The Bibek that they kept was much higher than we can keep now a days but still the main points have to stay:

1. Roti Beti Saanjh with Niguray (Manmukhs who are not Tyaar bar Tyaar Khalsa) must be avoided. Saanjh means eating from them or doing Rishta-Naata with them e.g. a Gursikh can't marry his daughter to a Manmukh person. Same way, Niguray people should not be part of the cooking process of food for Gursikhs. The idea behind this is not any kind of hatred from Manmukhs or anything else like that. The idea is to obey Guru Sahib's Hukam.

2. It is best if Gursikhs can grow food from scratch but Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that there is nothing wrong in buying basic raw material from anywhere. Some cooked substances have become part of these raw ingredients e.g. sugar, gheo, oil, dried Masaalay etc. but because of this we should not start getting more cooked or processed foods. This is what our elders have established and we should leave it there. It's said that one of the Gursikhs who did Seva in Punj Pyare when Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee took Amrit, was a Baddo-Bibeki and used to grow his own food. Before grinding grains to flour, he used to say Naam Gurmantr on each and every grain while washing it. Such Bibek is truly Dhan but what we are talking about here is the bare minimum. If we can't keep such Bibek as this Gurmukh Pyare, this does not mean that we should not keep any kind of Bibek. It's like saying that if I can't do Siri Sukhmani Sahib and Siri Asa kee Vaar, I am not going to do 7 Baani Nitnem either. We are talking about minimum Bibek here.

3. The earnings from which the food is bought must be honest earning; otherwise, it's not Bibeki food.

4. The food that is cooked by Gursikhs should be cooked in Sarbloh while doing Gurbani Paath or Naam Simran; otherwise its not truly Bibeki food.

5. The Gursikh who cooks food must be a Tyaar bar Tyaar Gursikh with minimum Rehit as follows - 7 Baani Nitnem, 5 Kakaari Rehit, Absistence from 4 Bajjar Kurehits, Giving Daswandh to Khalsa Panth, keeping dietery Bibek. If a person does not follow these principles and eats from Manmukhs despite being an Amritdhaari or if he eats from such Amritdhaaris who eat from Manmukhs, then such person should not do Seva for food cooked for Bibeki Gurmukhs.

2) Help in interpreting maharaj’s hukam- roti beti di sanjh khalsa ji nal, chhaad man har bemukhan ko sang et al. What are the thresholds?

As stated above, Dosti, Sangat and establishing relationship with non-devotees should be avoided with exception if the currently nigura person has a potential to become a devotee or is showing interest in coming towards Gursikhi. Incorrigible Manmukhs should be avoided. But interacting with people at work, school or while shopping etc. is not considered Roti-Beti dee Saanjh and such interaction is not against Gurmat Bibek.

3) In the context of bhojan, we have ‘kaho pandit sucha kavan thaon, jahan bais hao bhojan khao’ (juthi karchi parosan laga VS washing the tap et al).

This Shabad is one of the strongest Shabad in favour of Gurmat Bibek. Guru Sahib has condemned the Brahmani Jooth concept here. Difference between Brahmanvaad and Gurmat Bibek is discussed at this link: [www.gurmatbibek.com]. Joothi Karchhi is joothi in this Shabad because a Jhootha person is holding it. If a Gurmukh would want to make this Karchhi Suchi then he would have to wash it with his own hands which is also the case with washing tap before using it. Washing of tap is universal in all Jathas - AKJ, Taksal and Nihungs etc. We must continue to follow the tradition of washing the tap before using it.

4) How true is this bhojan which is prepared by ingredients unworthy of being called bibeki? What is that sucha bhojan that pleases maharaj? Again, what is the ‘threshold’ of bibeki bhojan?

Already discussed above.

If you are a seeker in true sense, then follow the Suhaagans with closed eyes. The doctor does not need to explain everything about the medicine for it to work. Same way, we need to follow the path established by Guru Sahibaan and the path that has been used by authentic bonafide Gurmukhs e.g. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. I did not name earlier Gurmukhs because, in the absence of details of their Rehit, many can question if they followed Bibek. About Bhai Sahib jee and other Gurmukhs of this era, we know for sure what they followed and how they got Darshan of Vaheguru. So Chup karke, Rehit Rakho, Naam Japo, Gurbani Paat karo, Kirtan Karo atay Shanka ghat karo. Phir Kaamyaabi milegi.

It has been noticed and seen that those who try to find too much logic in Rehit seldom become Rehitvaan Gurmukhs. Such is their Qismet that they keep getting Shanka (doubts) about Rehit. Once you establish the truthfulness of Gurmukh Pyare who have had Darshan of Vaheguru, the next step should be to follow their footsteps.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you ji for the elaborate reply this time.
Bhai Sahibji

As far as I have learnt from the post- gheo, flour, milk, spices from market are acceptable. Mitti and cheeni mitti (those glazed ones?) vessels are okay. Think also can carry around in rumalla?

Using water purifier, now going to store water in matki. If not at home, water dispensers/mineral water is accessible. If not, which water? Any rule of thumb?

Nobody cares about amrit/bibek at home; should ingredients be kept earmarked? Usually cook in the morning and store one portion for lunch (take to office or in refrigerator- don't think will work in switch to sarabloh? Waheguru) Read somewhere something about sudhai. While cooking, what sudhai except washing with soap? Waheguru who'll eat my degh.

I've read the single ingredient theory. Read there were some sudhai dhil at Bhai Kulbir Singh jee's place which they later amended. Kindly mention these if there are some particular cautions. When in morning I'm cooking, mummy jee keeps peeping what's cooking. But she lovingly keeps from touching.

Bin bhaga satsang na labbey is most felt.
We only use water straight from the faucet after doing sudhayee of the faucet. I am not sure what your situation is specifically but if you are going somewhere far then it is best to pack water with you from home. It does not seem right to use water out of a water dispenser.

Regarding Sudhayee in the kitchen, it is just a general rule to make anything that you are using while for cooking sucha. So the stovetop and countertop should be made sucha using a soapy kapra or sponge. Of course before this you would scrub down the faucet(tap) before washing anything and only after making the faucet sucha do you continue with sudhayee of the kitchen.

It might seem like a lot in the beginning but once you get into the habit of it, sudhayee of the kitchen doesn't take too long. Be thorough and keep reciting Naam and Gurbani. Other than that you should be fine. Sucham can only be properly learned in Sangat and that is why it is very important to do Sangat with Sarbloh Bibeki Gursikhs and become abhed with them. While doing langar seva with Gursikhs we learned how to keep sucham unconsciously.

It is okay if your mother watches what you are doing and instructs you from afar as long as she doesn't touch anything. Sometimes it gives our parents stability of mind to watch us feeding ourselves if they are not able to feed us themselves. So I think it helps to allow them to give you tips while staying a safe distance away from the stove. I have often made my mom sit in the kitchen and tell me how to make the sabzee so that I don't poison myself with uneatable food. Hahaha.

Preetam Singh
Thank you bhai sahib ji.
Shouldn't have asked that last question here, realized later. Post be removed? Maafi maafi- bhenjis, maatajis.

I've read the single ingredient theory. Read there were some sudhai dhil at Bhai Kulbir Singh jee's place which they later amended. Kindly mention these if there are some particular cautions.

The dhil was related to eating from Amritdharis who were not up to par as far as Rehit is concerned.

Kulbir Singh
Preetam Singh
It is okay if your mother watches what you are doing and instructs you from afar as long as she doesn't touch anything. Sometimes it gives our parents stability of mind to watch us feeding ourselves if they are not able to feed us themselves. So I think it helps to allow them to give you tips while staying a safe distance away from the stove.

Mothers cannot stand next to their own children or touch the stove/cooking area as they prepare food?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login