ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurbani Shudh Ucharan

Posted by Navroop Singh 
Gurbani Shudh Ucharan
August 24, 2012 09:38AM
VJKK VJKF,

I am reading Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara's book, "Gurbani Da Shudh Ucharan" and on the last page, he has given a list of common mistakes. These include:

Written as: ਖਸੰਮ
Incorrect pronounciation: ਖਸਮ

Written as: ਮੰਨਿ
Incorrect pronounciation: ਮਨਿ

Could someone (if possible!) guide me on how this should be correctly pronounced? Does this affect the pronounciation of the word : ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ?

VJKK VJKF
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurbani Shudh Ucharan
August 24, 2012 12:15PM
The tippi in the above words gives an extra maatra to the words and as such should be pronounced. It is hard to demonstrate in writing how to pronounce these words with and without Tippi. The meanings of these words for the most part does not change with our without tippi because these two pronunciations are based on different dialects of Punjabi.

Kulbir Singh
September 28, 2012 01:44PM
I agree that is difficult to demonstrate in writing online, but the tippi is a nasalisation which you should be able to feel in the back of your throat and nose when doing the ucharan of these words in Gurbani.

Regarding the pronounciation of ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ please listen to this audio recording of the shabad Bin Bhaga Satsang Na Labhe by Bhai Gurmej Singh Jee (Retired Hazoori Raagi Sri Darbar Sahib) from 5 mins 29 seconds.

I noticed that there were quite a few posts on common mistakes in Nitnem and Gurbani here and there over the forum so I thought it would be beneficial to share TalwaRa Jee's chart on the same:

The PDF file of the above is also available for download here

Please note, as also disclosed in the chart, the additions in blue colour are not written by TalwaRa Jee in his book but have been added by me. I have tried my best to ensure that there is no mistakes in the above chart, but if there is please excuse them and let me know.
October 01, 2012 02:49AM
VJKK VJKF

Trust Singh, thank you so much for your post. You and other Singhs on this forum have been extremely helpful, and cleared this issue for me. In the past I've asked many Singhs as to how the tippee in ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ is pronouced, but to no avail. Your post has been a ray of sunshine on this uneducated mind. Long may the efforts of this forum continue!

VJKF
October 05, 2012 03:30AM
Bhai sahib
There are some akhars- aunkad and hourha both are placed on the single akhar. I have heard it is pronounced as if 'dulainkad' is placed on it. Is it correct?

Also, those two alphabets placed on 10th and 15th place in the punjabi varanmala. I think I need a lesson on that. I call them 'anga' and 'anja'. Please give some examples.

Thank you ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login