ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Japjee Sahib Rauls Alongside AkhandPaath

Posted by Bhupinder Singh 
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ

Why do Some people choose to do Japjee Sahib Rauls along side AkhandPaaths?

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
i believe what you are describing is done at deras run by sants, sounds like a nanaksari practice to me (though i'm no expert). the Sikh Rehet Maryada say it's an anti-gurmat practice.

during the course of the uninterrupted or any other reading of Guru Granth Sahib, reading of other Scriptural texts side by side with or in the course of such reading is contrary to the gurmat (Guru's way).

[www.sgpc.net]
I personally don't understand the logic behind doing paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib along with Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee but we do see that in early days, the Jatha too used to do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib as is clear from the story involving doing Siri Akhand Paath Sahib for the salvation of a ghost in the city of Jaipur.

It looks like in early days Singhs used to sometimes do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib during Siri Akhand Paath Sahib but when it was prohibited by Panth, this tradition was abandoned. Now a days, for the most part, this tradition is no longer observed in the Jatha. I could be wrong on this and would like to be corrected if I am wrong.

Kulbir Singh
Veer Ji
This topic was discussed at other boards too. Jap Ji Path is still practiced at many places; where possible.Singhs find benefit with this practice. That makes sure some more persons are envolved and present at the place. (Thaan Suhavva). Beginners especially children get trained with this practice. (Jap Ji is supposed to be a Gap Filler in the pauses, if any, I feel. As if we have the practice of one and quarter, instead of simply one. This is my personal feeling. No discussion please, on this point.)
In earlier times lot of UTSHAH was there with Sri Akhand Path. That was a big & great ceremoney. Whole village used to attend with fervour. They listened Path and took langar. On the contrary; sometimes; including Akhand Pathi Singh; only two persons are present at the place these days. Fervour is missing. The practice is becoming more like a ritual; even with AKJ programmes. So; want of UTSHAH; Jap Ji Path Practice is being whisked away. Not only Jap Ji; but also the listeners are missing. So, I feel if we can find Sangat to attend to listening to Sri Akhand Path and getting envolved with that special event; only then we can realize the importance of Jap Ji with Sri Akhand Path Sahib.
Daas
M Singh
Guru Piyario,

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

As per Bhai Jodh Singh upon asking Bhai Sahib explained some reason which daas think is not easily understandable however, his advice for those who do conduct this paath is understandable which is this "The Paathi Singh should be very intelligent, he should not finish Japji sahib in the middle when Sri Akhand Paath Sahib bhog is done and also should not take extra time to finish after the bhog". Bhai Jodh Singh Jee further mentioned that they had also conversation with Bhai Joginder Singh jee Talwara because Talwara jee tried to search about this surti Akhand Paath tradition of Sri Jap ji Sahib in Sikh writings (history/Rehatnamay) but he could not find any reference and seems like he was not in favor of this. Anyway, on this point daas has some traditional approach. Daas used to involve in Sri Japji Sahib Akhand Paaths rauls done about 20 years ago. I think we should use restrain on highlighting a particular Samparda because this is not that anti Gurmat than they do other stuff in Deras. From Jatha point of view they follow the Maryada adopted by Panth including the Bhog.

With Regards,
Daas,
JASJIT SINGH
i have a question for those who have participated...

how can you concentrate on either the akhand paath or the japji sahib paath if both are happening together?

i once tried to do nitnem during a raensabae and could not concentrate on my nitnem at all! maybe is't a question of avastha? but it seems to me that people hardly pay attention during akhand paath. the paathis read so fast you can hardly understand them, and almost no one comes to listen anyway. so how does doing multiple things at once help?

not trying to offend, i just don't understand.
Bibi jio,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

have a question for those who have participated...
how can you concentrate on either the akhand paath or the japji sahib paath if both are happening together? i once tried to do nitnem during a raensabae and could not concentrate on my nitnem at all! maybe is't a question of avastha?

Daas agree that it is hard to concentrate. Not speaking for all but when daas was doing jap ji sahib raul I was not of the avastha of understanding all but just to read, however, I must tell you because in Jatha there is tradition to do loud paath with prem and shudh as much as possible and not rush to 48 hr limit during Sri Akhand Paath Sahib which gives the rus to listener effortlessly. So while doing Jap ji Sahib although I was not understanding most of the Paath but the resonance of Gurbani utterrance by the Paathi Singh/Singhni was motivating to keep reading Jap ji sahib. Another interesting part was the Paathi Singhs/Singhnia were not even clock bound like doing 2 hr raul, they could continue to 5, 6, 8, 9, 10hrs of one sitting depending upon avastha but at the same time I was very clock bound. As far as doing Nitnem during the Raensabaee, I think that way we are just compeleting the another Karam but not listenning and paying attention to it. For this reason Daas prefers to do after the Raensabaee.

With Regards,
Daas,
JASJIT SINGH
This is not only at Deras but i have seen this being done in Villages during the Childhood and the reason give was as above

==> Jap Ji is supposed to be a Gap Filler in the pauses, if any, & also if there is any pause during the PAAATHI chnage for Rauls.

The understanding here is that to have 48 hrs of non stop Gurbani in the premises where the PAAATHS are being done, so Japji Sahib Paathi fills in a pauses during the main PAATH. Another i know for sure is its also to do with MORE MAYAAA for the PAATHIs (maybe thats why it started too -- Not sure though).

Definitely there is no room for concentration in this situation, but normally i have seen only one of them speaking loud and the other one just being silent. Also we have seen 5 PAAATHs at Gurudwara BABABAKAALA Sahibs going at a time and many more places i think. I think its just how you think the benefit is going to be. Moreover , for those who just have to get Akhand PAAATH Sahib done for a cause (Mariiage,death etc) i think it doesnt make a differnce of how its done.

Bhul Chukk MAAF !!
ahh, for filling gaps, this makes sense.

i find it interesting that while the sikh rehet maryada says akhand paaths shouldn't be done if no one is listening... there are always many akhand paaths being done at darbar sahib, in tiny little rooms, where no one is listening to any of them. what's the benefit if no one listens? i suppose it's good laha for the paathi... smiling smiley
nothing aganst who practice this but i don't agree with this. I tried doing japji sahib paath in akhand path but i could not focus on akhand path or japji sahib. I am only talking about myself.
Waheguru Ji

Rergarding Jap Ji Sahib Rauls; of course; it is difficult in general. But as Jasjit Singh Veer Ji; confirms with his practical experience, it is not difficult for Young Khalsa. Based on his input; I request Veer Kulbir Singh Ji & others to do try tp have Jap Ji Rauls to increase participation of Young Khalsa in Sri Akhand Path Sahib. Young ones will certainly benefit from it.

Bhein Ji; -----------Bhai Sahib Fauja Singh Ji, in light veins, once remarked that it is easy for him to face battles than to sit for Jap Ji rauls.-------------------------------- But, it confirms the practice was there. I also started my "career as a sikh" with Jap Ji rauls.

How possible to sit for Jap Ji raul?

If we can sit in Akhand Path Room; absent-minded; why not Jap Ji-minded.------------------------------ Many a times; we do our Nitnem absent mindedly (or double mindedly?). We reach near the end of the path and then we confirm it from our spouse; was that OK? Did I do it correctly. She says, "Yes", u did it right.------------------ And actually my mind was thousand of miles away; while Nitnem was being done by my tongue.

Many a times, Akhand Pathi Singh is not speaking aloud. Then it is no problem.

Even if your mind goes to listen Sri Akhand Path Sahib; Jap Ji is possible at very slow speed.
Thanks for sharing great thoughts MB Singh jeeo. I too, early in my life as a Gursikh, did Siri Jap jee Sahib rauls. While doing Siri Jap jee Sahib paath, I really wanted to hear Siri Akhand Paath Sahib and could not wait to be released from the Siri Jap jee Sahib rauls but when I was released, then the same thirst for hearing paath was no longer there.

In any case, one thing is for sure. This definitely is not an harmful practice or an anti-Gurmat practice. If Singhs in olden days used to do it, we respect this practice.

Kulbir Singh
Veer jeo

Thank you, for sharing your personal experience on the subject. I would love it, if you not only say it, "not harmful" but also "beneficial". Veer Ji , children and innocent people and those who are not trained for Sri Akhand Path Sahib like it. They have no problem with it. Just try it at your end; under western atmosphere.

Bhul Chuk Maf Karni Ji
My apologies MB Singh jee, if my wording in my post was not appropriate. I agree with you and will try to try doing what you have suggested.

Kulbir Singh
During an akhand paat sahib wouldnt reciting "Vahiguroo" naam be sufficient for any unexpected pauses????? would i be within the realm of gurmat if i brought a senchian pothi of shabad guru to read along with if i sit underneath the chandoa sahib etc????? ( i can hear better if i can see it etc ) Vahiguroo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login