ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A lost Gurmat Tradition that needs to be revived.

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Writing Maharaj jee's Saroops

What can one write about the greatness of writing Gurbani. It is the business in which one gets not one but many generations across this Bhavsaagar (dark ocean). Guru Sahib has very clearly written:

ਲਿਖੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਲਿਖੁ ਲਿਖੁ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
(Write Naam, write Gurbani, write that He is infinite)

ਕਹਤੇ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਸੁਣਤੇ ਸਭਿ ਧੰਨੁ ਲਿਖਤੀਂ ਕੁਲੁ ਤਾਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ॥
(Those who praise him and those who listen to his praise are blessed; ones who write his praise (Gurbani) get their family too across the Ocean of world).

ਧਨੁ ਲੇਖਾਰੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਸਾਚੁ ਲਿਖੈ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ ॥8॥3॥
(Blessed is the writer who writes Naam/Gurbani while residing it in the mind.)

ਸਲੋਕ ਮ: 1 ॥
ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਕਾਗਦੁ ਕਲਮ ਧੰਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਧਨੁ ਮਸੁ ॥
ਧਨੁ ਲੇਖਾਰੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਿਖਾਇਆ ਸਚੁ ॥1॥

(Blessed is the paper, the pen is blessed, the vessel in which ink is kept is blessed and the ink itself is blessed. Blessed is the writer, who has written the true Naam or Sach Gurbani.)

Bhai Sahib quoting the above pankiti has greatly praised writing Gurbani. Guru Sahib has already given numerous blessings and boons to the ones who write Gurbani and as one begins to write Gurbani, one starts getting those boons.

While Gursikhs are making commendable efforts to install the true Guru – the Laridaar Saroop – on the throne of all Gurdwara Sahibaan, we should not forget that while printing Gurbani, major Be-adbi (disrespect) takes place. Bhai Sahib has written exactly that the ones who are involved in printing Gurbani have almost impossible chance of getting salvation. It is true that in the absence of handwritten saroops, we are using printed Laridaar Saroops but an effort at Panthik level should be made to bring back the tradition of handwriting Guru Sahib’s saroops.

We should learn from the Jews. They still maintain their scriptures in the traditional format i.e. handwritten and in form of scrolls as opposed to printing and binding. I think Shiromini Committee should make an effort to setup a department to handwrite Maharaj jee’s saroops. It will provide true Ruzgaar (means of earning) for the needy Gursikhs and it will provide utmost respect to the way Maharaj jee’s saroops are written.

Some thoughts on Maryada of Writing Maharaj jee's Saroop

The maryada that one should follow when writing Gurbani is similar to Sehaj Paath. Here are some points to note:

1) One must do Keshi-Ishnaan (full body shower) before writing Gurbani and wear Suchay (clean) Gurmukhi (Baana) clothes.

2) The table and all other things associated e.g. ink bottle, pens should be Suchay.

3) There should be a Chandoya (Chaanani) on top of the place where Gurbani is to be written. Ideally, one should write Gurbani in the same room as Maharaj jee’s Prakash but if one does not have Maharaj jee’s prakash, then ideally a separate room should be allocated for this purpose.

4) One should write Gurbani sitting on the floor cross-legged and fully Savdhaan (alert).

5) Before beginning, one should do few Gurmantr or Moolmantr Jaaps and then beg from Vaheguru for capability to write Gurbani.

6) While writing, one should also try to understand the meanings and must do Naam Abhyaas while writing. One should cover one’s mouth with Hazooriya to avoid spitting on the paper where Gurbani is written.

7) One should try to complete the full Shabad before getting up. If one does one Ang a day, one would finish Maharaj jee’s saroop in 5 years.

8) Before beginning to write Maharaj jee’s saroop one should write Siri Jap jee Sahib, Siri Anand Sahib and other baanis to clean one’s handwriting.

9) When writing Gurbani, the mind has to repeat one pankiti many times in the mind. This way due to the Paaras Kala of Gurbani, the mind gets purified. Before writing a pankiti, one has to read it couple of times to remember it. Then while writing the alphabets, one has to read it again. Then when putting the line over the alphabets, one gets to read it again. Finally when the whole pankiti is written one reads it again to see if everything is fine.

10) Along with writing Gurbani, one can effortlessly chant Naam. When one is doing Paath, it is hard to do Naam Abhyaas but when one is writing Gurbani, one can constantly, without effort do Naam Abhyaas along with it. One’s mind just does not get a chance to think of anything else but Gurbani Paath or Naam Abhyaas. No wonder, the Gurbani scribers of old times had such high avastha.

Great Gurbani Writers

What do Bhai Gurdaas jee, Baba Deep Singh jee and Bhai Mani Singh have in common? They were all great writers of Gurbani. All three wrote at least 1 Saroop of Gurbani and Baba Deep Singh jee in fact wrote 4 Saroops of Gurbani. No wonder these Gursikhs had such high spiritual avastha (state). No wonder Baba Deep Singh jee was able to continue fighting even after his head was severed off his body. No wonder Bhai Mani Singh jee had himself cut into small pieces, while reciting Gurbani. This great avastha was reached by writing Gurbani.

Bhai Hardaas jee, the hazoor scriber of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee wrote many saroops and reached high spiritual state. His handwriting was very beautiful but alas, one of the Saroop he wrote got shaheed in the 1984 holocaust.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee’s views on writing Gurbani

We all know that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee had such high spiritual state but he was shocked and astonished when he met his match. Please refer to this link for more details.

[www.gurmatbibek.com]

This Singh jee, Bhai ChooR Singh jee of Nabha attained such high state that it even astonished Bhai Sahib, by writing Gurbani. Bhai Sahib ChooR Singh jee said that he achieved this spiritual state effortlessly just by writing Gurbani. He informed that Guru Sahib has already given beant (countless) boons to the ones who write Gurbani and ones who write Gurbani effortlessly attain these boons. Here it is in Bhai Sahib ChooR Singh jee own words, recorded by Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee:

ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਹੋਇ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੇ ਤੋਂ, ਕਾਰਨ ਮੂਲ ਇਸ ਪਦ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।
ਤਿਨਾਂ ਦਸਿਆ ਨਿਮਰੀਭੂਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ, ਸਭ ਪਰਤਾਪੁ ਗੁਰ ਵਰ ਲਿੱਖਣੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।
ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ੀ ਦਾਤ ਵੱਡੀ ਕਰਾਮਾਤ ਵਾਲੀ, ਵਰ ਵਡਾਣ ਏਹ ਕਲਮ ਸ਼ਕਤੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।
ਲਿਖਣ-ਕਲਾ ਦੀ ਕਥਾ ਵਿਸਥਾਰ ਸੁਣ ਕੇ, ਧੁਰਵਾ ਹੋਰ ਬੱਝਾ ਮੂੰ ਸਿਦਕੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।173।

Translation: After getting Saavdhaan (normal avastha), I (Bhai Sahib) asked that Gurmukh, what is the reason or source of such high spiritual state of yours. At this, the Gurmukh becoming an embodiment of humility and said, “it is all because of the boons and blessings that Guru Sahib has given to the writers of Gurbani (Gur Var Likhoniliyaan da). Guru Sahib has blessed me with a very big miraculous spiritual gift i.e. Vaddi Karamaat vaali daat. The spiritual power or shakti that one receives as a result of writing Gurbani is very great.” After hearing these words from the mouth of this Gurmukh, Bhai Sahib gained even more faith in writing Gurbani.

Bhai Sahib’s views on Publishing Gurbani

ਰਚਨਾ ਛਡਿ ਦਿਤੀ ਲਿਖਤ ਬਾਣੀਆਂ ਦੀ, ਨਵਾਂ ਰਾਹੁ ਫੜਿਆ ਫੈਸ਼ਨੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।
ਛਾਪੇ-ਖ਼ਾਨਿਆਂ ਦੀ ਭੈੜੀ ਰੀਤ ਚੱਲੀ, ਭੈੜਾ ਚਾਲੜਾ ਦੰਮ ਖਟੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।

They stopped writing Gurbani and adopted the new way of fashionable people (worldly people). The evil practice of printing started and this evil way was started by the profit-seeking persons.

ਹਾਇ ਲਿਖਤ ਮਹੱਤਤਾ ਰੋੜ੍ਹ ਦਿਤੀ, ਸਿਦਕ ਤੋੜ ਕੇ ਤੱਤ ਵਣਜੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।
ਤੱਤ ਸੱਤ ਸਉਦਾ ਕੋਈ ਵਣਜਦਾ ਨਾ, ਹੋਇਆ ਵਣਜੁ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਦਮੜੋਲਿਆਂ ਦਾ।

Here Bhai Sahib cries out “Haaye” when talking about printing Gurbani. Bhai Sahib says, Haaye, they have drowned the importance of writing Gurbani by hand and this way have broken the faith of the merchants of truth (Naam). No one wants the true merchandise anymore and only the trade of money has become most important.

We can clearly see how Bhai Sahib has condemned publishing Gurbani because while publishing the Satkaar of Guru Sahib’s baani can’t be kept as when writing Gurbani.

Conclusion

It is urged that the practice of writing Gurbani be brought back to Panth. This will protect our pristine tradition, increase respect for Guru Sahib since Saroops will not be in abundance and create many Gursikhs of high spiritual states. It is commendable that many Gursikhs at this time are writing Gurbani but we need many more. Former Jathedar of Akhand Kirtani Jatha, Bhai Sahib Raam Singh jee wrote one saroop with his own hands. Master Naranjan Singh jee is in the process of writing a saroop and another Singh jee from Ludhiana – Bhai Ravinder Singh jee has already written two saroops and is planning to write more. A Bibi jee from California is also writing Maharaj jee’s saroop and another Bibi jee from India has written a very beautiful Saroop. Many other Gursikhs are involved in writing Saroops. Thankfully, the tradition of writing Gurbani seems to be coming back. Hopefully, Guru Sahib will bless many more Gursikhs with the sewa of writing Maharaj jee’s Saroops.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Definitely writing gurbani brings one more closer to the Gurbani (thus Guru Sahib). This is one of the best things one can do. I think when we write BANI there is more chances of getting MUN , eyes and thus ourselves concentrated on the PANKTI/Word we are writing and more chances the MUN will do Vichaaar on the Pankti.

Guru Kirpa Karan Eh Sewa Sub noooon Bakhs den.

Waheguru jee ka Khalsa, Waheguru jee kee Fateh
Vaaheguroo!
Bhai Sahib jio,

Thanks for this great inspiration. Since last couple of years this thought is keep striking to daas's mind to write Gurbani and was thinking to begin with Nitnem Gutka Sahib but due to worldy entanglements and this and that situation this is keep dragging but thanks for your post to boost up the moral. Soon this daas will ask for Guru Sahib's agya to start writing. Of course in larridaar which itself is quite challeging because never written before in Larridaar. Hopefully this adventurous journey will begin soon.

With Regards,
Daas
i know of a singh who used to write out his nitnem every single day. by the time he left the earth he had hundreds of notebooks filled with gurbani. what a beautiful way to really understand guru sahib's message.

for those of us who are new to gurmukhi or struggling to memorize banis, this would be a good way to do both. smiling smiley
Bhai Jasjit Singh Jeeo, please don't forget to share pictures of your writing once you start.

Dhanvaadh jee.

Jatinderpal Singh
Thank you for such a wonderful and informtive post on this much needed issue. The only way to bring back the satkar of gurbani is by hand writing it. The effort and time it takes to write gurbani is needless to say. We need to take a lead as the article says, from the jews who till day only hand write their tohra.
Bhai Jasjit Singh Jeeo, please don't forget to share pictures of your writing once you start.

Bhai Jatinderpal Singh Jio, Do not know when it will start but sorry I do not want to discourage others by showing my hand writing which is quite bad . ਜਿਵੇਂ ਸਿਆਹੀ ਵਿਚ ਭਿਉਂ ਕੇ ਕੀੜਾ ਛੱਡਿਆ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਲਿਖੇ ਮੂਸਾ ਤੇ ਪੜੇ ਖੁਦਾ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਜੀ। May be first I need the sudaee of my hand writing too. Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan Jee.

With Regards,
Daas

Bhai Jatinderpal Singh Jio, Do not know when it will start but sorry I do not want to discourage others by showing my hand writing which is quite bad . ਜਿਵੇਂ ਸਿਆਹੀ ਵਿਚ ਭਿਉਂ ਕੇ ਕੀੜਾ ਛੱਡਿਆ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਲਿਖੇ ਮੂਸਾ ਤੇ ਪੜੇ ਖੁਦਾ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਜੀ। May be first I need the sudaee of my hand writing too.

Funny jee!

But coming back to writing Gurbani, it is a good idea to do Sudhaayee of the Gurmukhi alphabets. Gurbani should not be written in running hand. As for beautiful or less beautiful writing, the idea is that as long as one can read it, it is fine. Guru Sahib does not say anywhere that only ones who have topnotch handwriting should write. Same way as there is no provision that ones who have best musical skills should be the only ones who do Kirtan. So, as long as the writing is legible, easily readable, it is fine to write Gurbani.

Kulbir Singh

As for beautiful or less beautiful writing, the idea is that as long as one can read it, it is fine. Guru Sahib does not say anywhere that only ones who have topnotch handwriting should write. Same way as there is no provision that ones who have best musical skills should be the only ones who do Kirtan. So, as long as the writing is legible, easily readable, it is fine to write Gurbani.

Thanks for giving hope to people like me.
Master Niranjan Singh ji

on another note... is it possible to get these beautiful decorated and lined papers on which to write gurbani?

on another note... is it possible to get these beautiful decorated and lined papers on which to write gurbani?

Bhainjeeo 1kaur, you can get blank Pannay for hand writing Sri Guroo Granth Saahib Jee's Saroop with borders and lines from Sri Amritsar Saahib or from Ludhiana.

Jatinderpal Singh
1kaur wrote

i know of a singh who used to write out his nitnem every single day. by the time he left the earth he had hundreds of notebooks filled with gurbani. what a beautiful way to really understand guru sahib's message.

That is amazing. Can you share any more information about this? What made this singh write nitnem everday?
I must say this is a very inspirational post. Hopefully when one learns to write Gurmukhi properly we can do this seva of writing Gurbani.

Just some questions I had in mind. Where can one get a Chaanani from. Also is there special paper one must use, and does one need to use the special ink pen that Bhai Sahib is using in the pic above. I find it difficult writing with those pens my penmanship is really poor I can only imagine what it would be like when using the special pen from above.

"Bhai Sahib has written exactly that the ones who are involved in printing Gurbani have almost impossible chance of getting salvation. "

ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਕਾ ਜੀਵਿਆ ਜਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਵੇਚਹਿ ਨਾਉ ॥

Cursed are the lives of those whom write and sell Gurmat Naam.

Sri GUru Nanak Dev Ji

ਗੁਰੂ ਕਾ ਸਿਖ ਪੋਥੀ ਲਿਖ, ਪੜ੍ਖੇ ਵੇਚੇ ਨਾਹੀ

A Gursikh should write and read Gurbani, but they should never dare sell it.

Bhai Chaupa Singh Rehatnama

ਭਾਉ ਕਲਮ ਕਰਿ ਚਿਤੁ ਲੇਖਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਪੁਛਿ ਲਿਖੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

ਲਿਖੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਲਿਖੁ ਲਿਖੁ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ ॥੧॥

Make love the pen make the scribe your focused attention. Ask Guru Ji for Guidance and then write after due deliberation.
Write and worship Naam. There should be no limits in writing and worshiping his name.

Gurbani comes directly from Sri Darbar Sahib we should enshrine its written form in our minds and worship it. I think it would be pleasing to Guru Ji that we daily write Gurbani if not physically then at least mentally. Along with the Gurmantar, our nitnem that we memorize should be written in our minds. But for this to happen it takes much effort. One must remember each akhar including sihari, and aunkad. I think if one is able to memorize the meanings according to the Lag-Maatras and the pauses then it becomes much more easier to memorize Gurbani , write it in our minds and worship it. Then our body truly becomes a temple/Gurdwara. The only problem is understanding the meanings given by the placed Sihari and Aunkad. At the end of the day I think it takes much effort for one to be able to recite and write Gurbani in ones mind. So I think its less important to have numerous Banis memorized instead its more important understand the meanings of the Banis that one has memorized. We can then write this Bani in our head and worship Gurshabad wherever we go. How great is that taking Guru Sahib with us wherever we go?

ਜੋ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਁਠ ਕੀਤੀ ਨਾ ਵਿਚਾਰੇ , ਸੋ ਆਲਸੀ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਅ
Those whom have memorized bani without doing contemplation of the bani then they are apostates.

recently we have been making attempts to remember each Akhar( letter) and I must say its quite difficult. But at the same time It pushes me to contemplate Gurbani more and more and focus on each Akhar. What a way to have Guru Jis Darshan!
Great topic. It is very unfortunate for the entire Sikh nation that hand writing Gurb is a lost tradition just as Lariwar sroops. But it seems that within the new generation of Sikhs living in the western world many of these traditions seem to be coming back. Long ago there was an entire tradition attached to writing Gurbani. Even the Kachi bani called SiahiDhiVidhi was infact an ink recipe for writing Gurbani. We should also try to write Gurbani, starting with Nitnem then Panj Granthi and if you are ready the entire Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

Just some questions I had in mind. Where can one get a Chaanani from. Also is there special paper one must use, and does one need to use the special ink pen that Bhai Sahib is using in the pic above. I find it difficult writing with those pens my penmanship is really poor I can only imagine what it would be like when using the special pen from above.

Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, you can find Chananai or Chandoya from your local Gurdwara Sahib or get it sewn by a tailor. If you happen to visit India, there is a shop near Darbar Sahib, that sells Chandoya or you can have the tailor sew it for you.

As for the ink to be used, you should use the ink that is permanent. There are many brands of inks you can use. So long as the ink is permanent, it is fine. You have to use fountain pen and have to try different pens before settling on the one that you like. In North America, suitable pens range anywhere from about $40 to $400. Some like using the pens with round nib of medium size while other like caligraphy nib of 1.3 to 1.5 size.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the advice Bhai Sahib

The only clean and quite place I can write Gurbani is in the bedroom which is quite small. In the middle of the room there is a ceiling fan.
Is it ok to have a Chananai which is smaller then standard size. Meaning as long as the area is covered from above where one is writing, is that good enough?

I have ordered a few fountain pens from Ebay and we will see which ones work best. Is there a brand that somebody can recommend?

The only clean and quite place I can write Gurbani is in the bedroom which is quite small. In the middle of the room there is a ceiling fan.
Is it ok to have a Chananai which is smaller then standard size. Meaning as long as the area is covered from above where one is writing, is that good enough?

I think it's fine. The area where one is writing Maharaj jee's Saroop has to be covered.

Kulbir Singh
Amritvela Wrote:
>
>
> That is amazing. Can you share any more
> information about this? What made this singh write
> nitnem everday?

when he was in middle age, he became paralyzed on his left side and could not work. so while he was shut in his house, he began writing his nitnem to keep his mind and body occupied. after some time the paralysis passed, and he went back to work, but the habit of writing gurbani stayed with him, and until his last days he used to sit in his shop (shoes off under the desk) writing gurbani all day long.

may we all develop such wonderful habits!

Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
> The only clean and quite place I can write Gurbani
> is in the bedroom which is quite small. In the
> middle of the room there is a ceiling fan.
> Is it ok to have a Chananai which is smaller then
> standard size. Meaning as long as the area is
> covered from above where one is writing, is that
> good enough?

all of the rooms in my house have ceiling fans. when we were blessed with the seva of maharaj, i made a chananai sahib which fits over one half of the room, and the part that hangs down (ruffle? edge?) i made to fit1 inch above the fan blades. so i think you can make it work. smiling smiley

i have also seen one singh who covered his entire ceiling with silk and hung edges around the sides, and cut a hole in the middle so the fan could come through. it was a really nice effect (but seems like hard work!).
Thanks for the advice Bhenji. I would make my own if I knew how but I dont know how to make a paper plane if my life depended on it, lol. I asked my grandmother today If she has one but like Bhai Sahib she recommended that I get one from the Gurdwara Sahib. I luckily ran into a Merchant Singh today at a Nagar Kirtan and he said he will try to get me one smiling smiley

ਪੋਥੀ ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਕਾ ਥਾਨੁ ॥

and

ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥
ਗੁਰੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਜਨੁ ਮਾਨੈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੇ ॥੫॥

WaaheGuru!
gurfateh jio, this is really a wonderful post.

just a few questions:

if only writing specific bania such as mool mantar, jap ji sahib, various shabads etc. and gurmantar is it still necessary to have a chandoa. If so we are blessed with Guru Maharaj parkash however im not sure if the floor area where it would be most easy to sit would be totally (if at all) covered by the chandoa (its a pretty small room). So instead I could sit on the floor facing maharaj with a rael (wooden stand), would this still be ok?

Otherwise I think the only way i could be fully under chando without being cramped is if i sit behind maharaj on tabe and then would somehow have to fit in a rael to write on.

Also if writing without chandoa is ok, would a table such as dining table which also has other things on it sometimes be acceptable if it was wiped with a wipe and a small sheet placed specifically where the paper would be put down? This would also involve sitting on a chair.

with all items such as pen, ink bottle etc. when bought directly new from store, are these considered suchay or must they be cleaned somehow?

And finally, if writing bani such as jap ji sahib over a period of days/weeks, at what point can one finish that particular sitting? i.e. is it acceptable to stop for the day at the end of a pauri?
It is great that you are taking interest in writing Harjass Gurbani.

if only writing specific bania such as mool mantar, jap ji sahib, various shabads etc. and gurmantar is it still necessary to have a chandoa.

The Chandoa is normally used if writing Maharaj jee's Saroop but if only writing Gutka Sahib then the Satkar would be same as for doing Paath from Gutka Sahib.

Also if writing without chandoa is ok, would a table such as dining table which also has other things on it sometimes be acceptable if it was wiped with a wipe and a small sheet placed specifically where the paper would be put down? This would also involve sitting on a chair.

It is advisable that you write Gurbani sitting on the floor and having a small height.

with all items such as pen, ink bottle etc. when bought directly new from store, are these considered suchay or must they be cleaned somehow?

Paper is shudh and so is ink. It would be advisable clean the pen before using.

And finally, if writing bani such as jap ji sahib over a period of days/weeks, at what point can one finish that particular sitting? i.e. is it acceptable to stop for the day at the end of a pauri?

Sure.

Kulbir Singh
thank you very much bhai sahib kulbir singh jeeo.
This thread is making me learn how to write Gurbani. Waheguru...

What about the color?
I would like to start with writing Bhai Gurdas Jee's vaaran. Is there a protocol for this?
[www.sikhfoundation.org]
Bhai Damandeep Singh Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Thanks for sharing above link. Sardar Hardeep Singh is really a Waheguru gifted artist in calligraphy;

Hardeep’s family has requested pious Sikhs to keep nicely framed verses of Gurbani in their houses. “Instead of keeping pictures, Gurbani can be framed and displayed at homes. Moreover, bodies like Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandhak Committe (SGPC) should encourage calligraphy of Gurbani .

Daas would echo the both requests of Sardar Hardeep Singh's family. For first idea of framed verses of Gurbani this is what we did in our living room about year ago. Thanks to master Niranjan Singh Jee and our Nihung Singh veer BhagatJot Singh for the seva of writing Gurbani for this frame.

I think Sardar Hardeep Singh should really write Guru Maharaaj Jee's saroop but make sure in Larrivaar and SGPC should support him. This Singh is really a Gem.

With Regards,
Daas

What about the color?

I think to be simple black ink should br fine.

I would like to start with writing Bhai Gurdas Jee's vaaran. Is there a protocol for this?

Bhai Sahib Jee's Bani also deserve the utmost repect. Just have proper place when writing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login