ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bhai Sahib's Saakhi about importance of Lag-Maatra

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Many scholars and some Sampradayak Gianis as well, don’t like to consider the Lag-Maatras (Sihaari, Aunkad etc.) placed at the end of words in Gurbani, when interpreting Gurbani. So much so that early last century, some very famous certified scholars printed Gurbani meanings and did not take care of keeping Laga-Maatra of Gurbani. There was hue and cry against this and then they reversed this trend.

Presented below is a real life incident from the life of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee that helps us realize that the Lag-Maatras in the end have a great role in arriving at correct meanings of Gurbani. This incident has been translated from Bhai Sahib’s book – Gurbani diyaan Laga Maatra dee Vilakhantaa.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

-----------------------Translation Begins--------------------------

Once we saw two very famous Gianis arguing over the following Gurbani Pankiti:

ਨਾਨਕ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤਾ ਜਗਿ ਜੀਤਾ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਇ॥

They both were giving different meanings of this pankiti according to their intelligence. One Giani was saying that the wise world (Gianvaan Jag) alone lives the true life. Rest of the world is living the false worldly life. The Second Giani was saying that in this world, only the Giani person lives the true life. This way both of them were arguing with each other, trying to prove their point and refute the opposite view. No one was willing to accept defeat. As per his Will, we too reached that place and we requested both of them to do Prakash of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee and check out the Lag-Maatra (vowels) of this pankiti. Both of them responded with saying that what was the need to look at Lag-Maatra in order to arrive at the correct meaning. I replied, “there is a need to look at the Lag Matra. There is a treasure lying in the Lag-Maatras. You think these Lag-Maatra are in Gurbani for no reason. Our All-knowing Satgurus placed these Lag-Matras for a special reason.” After much persuading, they agreed to have a look at the Lag-Maatras of this pankiti.

After doing Prakash of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, we found the pankiti, with the aid of Akali Kaur Singh jee’s Pankiti index. We requested the Gianis to note that the word “ਜਗ” had come two times in this pankiti. “Has it been written in the same way (with same spellings) or differently?”

Looking at it carefully it was found that the first “ਜਗੁ” had an Aunkad in the end while the second “ਜਗਿ” had a Sihaari in the end. They did note the difference of spellings but still they had no faith in the difference of spellings.

Eventually they both asked me, “you please explain that what specialty is there in the difference of aunkand-ending ਜਗੁ and sihaari-ending ਜਗਿ.”

Then we using the Gurmat rules of Lag-Maatras explained to them:

“As per the Hukam “ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ”, the Gurmukh Giani of the house of Guru Nanak has won the world – ਨਾਨਕ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤਾ – other wise ਜਗਿ has won over everyone else. The second “ਜਗਿ” has a sihaari in the end. This sihaari gives the meanings of “ਨੇ”. In whole of Gurbani, this rule is applicable. No other meaning can be done of this Pankiti. Eventually, they had to admit that the secret knowledge of Lag-Maatra helps in arriving at the real Gurmat meanings of Gurbani.

--------------------------------Translation Ends-----------------------------
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib jio,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Great jio! Some reason Man Jeetay jag Jeet is striking to daas's mind since last couple of days now this above tuk further concreted my thought. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh is a evergreen Sikh, who will be remembered throught out centuries for his great kamayee and contribution to Khalsa Panth. No wonder why he is called Son Chirri of Panth.

With Regards,
Daas,
Jasjit Singh
ਵਾਹੁਵਾਹੁਬਾਣੀਨਿਰੰਕਾਰਹੈ cool smiley
Bhai Sahib Vista jio,

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

ਵਾਹੁਵਾਹੁਬਾਣੀਨਿਰੰਕਾਰਹੈ

Let's play here, could you please do the arth of this tuk jio,

With Regards,
Daas
Jasjit Singh
ਵਾਹੁਵਾਹੁਬਾਣੀਨਿਰੰਕਾਰਹੈ

From my understanding

Vaho Vaho, is GurbaNee, the bachan of the Formless Lord

Only Guru Sahib Jee knows the arth, i have no avastha to do arth

ਤੇਰੀਅਕਥਕਥਾਕਥਨੁਨਜਾਈ

Bhul Chuk Dee Marf
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ॥

ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਿਸਤਾ ਜੀਉ ਮਾਈਂਡ ਨਾ ਕਰਨਾ ਜੀ। ਦਾਸ ਨੇ ਸਿਰਫ ਲਗਾਂ ਮਾਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਵਿਲਖਣਤਾ ਨੂੰ ਉਬਾਰਨ ਲਈ ਹੀ ਆਪਜੀ ਦੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸਵਾਲ ਰੱਖਿਆ ਸੀ। ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਆਮਤੌਰ ਤੇ ਇਸ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਅਰਥਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ ਲਿਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਵਾਹ ਜੀ ਵਾਹ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਸਰੂਪ ਹੈ ਭਾਵ ਵਾਹੁਵਾਹੁ ਦੇ ਅਰਥ ਮੁਦਤਾ ਵਾਲੇ ਲਏ ਜਾਦੇ ਜੋ ਕਿ ਇਥੇ ਠੀਕ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਪਦੇ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਜੇ ਇਹ ਅਰਥ ਲਈਏ ਤਾਂ ਪੂਰੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੇ ਅਰਥ ਭਾਵ ਅਤੇ ਹੋਰ ਤਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਹਿਬ ਵਿਚ ਦਰਜ ਇਸਤੋਂ ਅਗੇਤਰ ਸ਼ਬਦਾਂ ਦੇ ਅਰਥ ਵੀ ਪੂਰੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਣਦੇ। ਆਪ ਜੀ ਅਜਮਾਂ ਕੇ ਵੇਖ ਲਉ ਕਿ ਵਾਹ ਜੀ ਵਾਹ ਕਰਨ ਨਾਲ ਕੀ ਅਰਥ ਬਣਨਗੇ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਸ਼ਬਦਾਂ ਦੇ, ਪਰ ਜੇਕਰ ਹਾਹੇ ਨੂੰ ਲੱਗੇ ਔਕੜ ਵਲ ਧਿਆਨ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਜਾਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਔਕੜ ਇਹ ਅਰਥ ਨਹੀ ਬਣਨ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਇਸਦਾ ਮਤਲਬ ਕਿਸੇ ਖਾਸ ਸ਼ੈ ਵੱਲ ਇਸ਼ਾਰਾ ਹੈ ਭਾਵ ਵਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰਮੰਤਰ ਵਲ "ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥" । ਹੁਣ ਇਸ ਗੁਰਮੰਤਰ ਨੂੰ ਮੁੱਖ ਰੱਖ ਹੇਠਲੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੁਬਾਰਾ ਪੜੀਏ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਅਰਥ ਖੂਬ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜੀ।

ਮ: ੩ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮਰਹਿ ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਓਨਾ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਨ ਭਾਵਈ ਦੁਖੇ ਦੁਖਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਣਾ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਨਿਰਮਲੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਇ ॥੨॥

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ: ੩ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਸਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਉ ਆਪੇ ਦੇਇ ਬੁਝਾਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਜੋ ਨਿਤ ਕਰੇ ਸੋ ਮਨ ਚਿੰਦਿਆ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਹਰਿ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਉਚਰਾ ਮੁਖਹੁ ਭੀ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰੇਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਜੋ ਕਰਹਿ ਹਉ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਉ ਦੇਉ ॥੧॥

ਮ: ੩ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਚੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਹਉ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਜਾਉ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦੇਇ ਸੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਭਰਪੂਰੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਨਿਤ ਸਭ ਕਰਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਭਾਵੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਜੋ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਮਕੰਕਰੁ ਨੇੜਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥੨॥

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ: ੩ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਅਗਮ ਅਥਾਹੁ ਹੈ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਸਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਵੇਪਰਵਾਹੁ ਹੈ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰੇ ਸੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰਮੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਆਪਿ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਏਇ ॥੧॥

ਬਾਕੀ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਖੂਬ ਗੱਲ ਕਹੀ ਕਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਹੀ ਅਰਥ ਜਾਣਦੇ ਹਨ ਆਪਾਂ ਕੀ ਲਿਖ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਾਂ। ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਉਪਰ ਵਾਲੀ ਵੀਚਾਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਜਨ ਨੇ ਦਾਸ ਨੂੰ ਸੁਝਾਈ ਸੀ ਇਸ ਕਰਕੇ ਆਪ ਜੀਆਂ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝੀ ਕਰਨੀ ਮੁਨਾਸਿਬ ਸਮਝੀ ਜੀ। ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਨ ਆਪ ਜਿਹੀ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਦਾਸ ਦੀ ਭੀ ਬਣ ਆਵੇ ਜੀ।

ਗੁਰੂ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਭੌਰਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ,
ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ
Ive been wondering in the following Salok

ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਭਗਤੀ ਖਟਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਉਤਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਾਇਆ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥

ਵਿਚੇ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨਿ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੋਹੁ ਜਲਾਇਆ ॥

ਆਪਿ ਤਰਿਆ ਕੁਲ ਜਗਤੁ ਤਰਾਇਆ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਣੇਦੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥

ਐਸਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੋਈ ਪਾਏ ਜਿਸੁ ਧੁਰਿ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਆਪਣੇ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

Does the pangti

I was wondering is the pangti a statement meaning Their ( the Bhagats) service has been directed towards the GUru. Enshrining Naam in their mind they meditate all night and day

Or is the pangti a command saying Be like the Bhagats and serve the Guru via Naam Jap all night and day?

What meaning does the sihari in ਸੇਵਿ give?
Also I forgot to ask is there a small pause after the words

ਸੇਵਿ, ਵਸਾਇਆ, ਉਦਾਸੀ , ਤਰਿਆ ( long pause), ਕੁਲ ( short pause),ਤਰਾਇਆ

Does the pangti
I was wondering is the pangti a statement meaning Their ( the Bhagats) service has been directed towards the GUru. Enshrining Naam in their mind they meditate all night and day
Or is the pangti a command saying Be like the Bhagats and serve the Guru via Naam Jap all night and day?
What meaning does the sihari in ਸੇਵਿ give?

By serving the Satguru, they have resided the Hari-Naam in their mind. Satguru is served by meditating on Naam day and night.

The sihaari of ਸੇਵਿ gives the meaning of ਸੇਵ ਕੇ. The sihaari of ਮਨਿ gives the meaning ਮਨ ਵਿਚ. The definition of serving Satguru is given in the pankiti itself - ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ. When one serves the Guru like this then the result is - ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਾਇਆ i.e. Naam resides in the mind.

Also I forgot to ask is there a small pause after the words

ਸੇਵਿ, ਵਸਾਇਆ, ਉਦਾਸੀ , ਤਰਿਆ ( long pause), ਕੁਲ ( short pause),ਤਰਾਇਆ

The rest of the pauses are fine except for this Pankiti:

ਆਪਿ ਤਰਿਆ, ਕੁਲ ਜਗਤੁ ਤਰਾਇਆ; ਧੰਨੁ ਜਣੇਦੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥
The word ਕੁਲ here means all or whole. This word also means family but here it is an adjective of the noun ਜਗਤੁ.

Kulbir Singh
Amazing Sakhi. The concept of Viakaran through LagMatra is still a bit difficult to fully understand by ordinary people like me, but this in itself shows the divinity of Gurbani. No worldly human being could have come up with such an intelligent system of writing. This truly comes from Sachkhand.

In future, perhaps the admins of this site can create easy to understand tutorials of Gurbani viakaran, preferably in Punjabi. In fact, I would suggest the Admins to create an entirely new section just on Gurbani Viakaran on this site where all the questions that have been asked to Kulbir Singh jee relating to Gurbani viakaran can be stored there for easy reference, it will greatly enhance this site.
Gurbani laga matra di vilakhanta- if anyone has that book, please upload? It has become a rare item. Am looking for it for a long time.

Gurbani laga matra di vilakhanta- if anyone has that book, please upload? It has become a rare item. Am looking for it for a long time

I have searched all four corners of the world for this book and no luck. I emailed BHai Randhir Singh Jis Trust a couple of weeks ago and they said they will upload it whenever they have a chance. Perhaps if you email them as well they might jump on it much faster smiling smiley
The entire book is available to view on PDL:

[www.panjabdigilib.org]

And

[www.panjabdigilib.org]

I believe all of bhai sahibs books are now available except "naam te daata satguru".

I would request Brst to upload this book and also provide PDFs rather than isuu website. Maybe it would be good idea to provide PDFs of bhai sahibs books on this website as well.

I think only a few booklets have not been uploaded such as the one regarding the mystical sakhi of bhai harbhajan singh and bhai dalip singh. The rest of bhai sahibs material is available through Brst, Sikh book club and Pdl.
Thanks for providing the links Gupt1 Jee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login