ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmukhi Dastar

Posted by Gupt123 
Gurmukhi Dastar
June 19, 2012 04:12PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am looking to tie a gurmukhi dastar and was hoping someone could tell me how much length and width is needed for the dastar. Also what material should i use to tie a gurmukhi dastar.

Forgive me for any mistakes
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurmukhi Dastar
June 19, 2012 04:25PM
Please check the following links:

[gurmatbibek.com]

[gurmatbibek.com]

[gurmatbibek.com]

[gurmatbibek.com]

[gurmatbibek.com]
June 19, 2012 05:13PM
Thanks for the links paji smiling smiley
June 20, 2012 12:52AM
Here is one link to the Video :
[www.youtube.com]

Length : Usually 10 meters. But varies little bit here and there (9.8 or 10.2 meters). After some practice and your style of tying, you will come to know how much length fits for you. After practice you will come to know if you need a little more extra length (increasing it to 10.2 or 10.5 etc...) or need to remove extra length (reducing it to 9.8 or 9.5 meters etc...) to complete the ladh. Also consider that cloth may shrink after some washing.

Dastar Length also depends on the Length of Keski you wear under your Dastar. If the Keski Length is more (approx 5 meters) then many Singhs prefer Dastar Length to be approx 5 - 8 meters. These all are matter of practice and preference. I don't wish to over-confuse you in all these details. You may go through the URLs pointed out by "gsingh jee" where other points related to Dastar Rehit has been discussed in details.

Width : From factory all the Dastar material comes with a standard width. Singhs usually buy Dastar of 10 meters in length and cut the Dastar into 2 from center of the standard factory width. After cutting you have 2 dastars of 10 meters each (with the width reduced to half).

Material : Full Voil is Good for beginners. Once you are experienced you will be able to tie any type of material, Half-Voil, Rubiya, Malmal etc...

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
June 29, 2012 01:30PM
Watch how to tie a Gurmukhi Dastar
June 30, 2012 02:36PM
Thank you smiling smiley. The video and information from Jaskirat and Bhagatjot paji was extremely helpful. Especially when seeing a ChardiKala Gursikh like Master Niranjan Singh Ji tying the dastar.
June 30, 2012 03:11PM
Thanks for sharing the video, but the color of keski when tying a GUrmukhi dastar should be yellow or blue. Khalsa ( gurmukh) colors are blue, yellow, and white. Technically speaking dastar cannot be labeled as Gurmukhi dastar unless the colors are of Khalsa origin.

Yellow is the color of heroism. Sri Hargobind Sahib Ji wore yellow. Our nishan Sahib is yellow, and Sri GUru Gobind SIngh JI tells us yellow is Khalsa color. For some unknown reason there has become a popular trend to wear orange over yellow. Even our Nishaan Sahib has been replaced with orange and black instead of blue and yellow. Panj Pyaarey also start to wear orange now. May Sri Guru Ji allow us to keep the nishaan sahib ( Gurmukhi dastar) on our heads.
June 30, 2012 07:19PM
Colors have already been discussed numerous times on this forum. If you wish to get your message across to Master jee yourself, their number in india is 91 95-92-980992 and in North America it's currently 559-891-0590. Thanks!
June 30, 2012 07:49PM
The message was not for Bhai Niranjan SIngh. I was just speaking in general so people are aware of the difference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login