ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shuniya or Suniya ( Anand Sahib)

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Is the following word ਸੁਣਿ in the pangti below mean Suniya ( listened )or shuniya ( Anhat Shabad)
ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ਭਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਗਮੁ ਸੁਣਿਆ ॥

Meaning my mind has been in loving intoxication of infallible Anahat Shabad ( shuniya). If it is referring to Shuniya should it be pronounced with a bindi. This word ਸੁਣਿ applies many times times in Anand Sahib. When is the word shun or sun?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

Is the following word ਸੁਣਿ in the pangti below mean Suniya ( listened )or shuniya ( Anhat Shabad)
ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ਭਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਗਮੁ ਸੁਣਿਆ ॥
Meaning my mind has been in loving intoxication of infallible Anahat Shabad ( shuniya). If it is referring to Shuniya should it be pronounced with a bindi. This word ਸੁਣਿ applies many times times in Anand Sahib. When is the word shun or sun?

The word ਸੁਣਿਆ is a verb and it means listening. The Punjabi word for shuniya is ਸੁੰਨ but it does not mean thoughtless Avastha as in Buddhist religion but means such spiritual Avastha which is full of Naam but devoid of worldly thoughts.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks Bhai Sahib if you have time in the future can you make a thread which describes the pauses in Anand Sahib
veer ji, how would shuniya make sense in context to the panktee you have quoted?
Veer Ji since Bhai Sahib says its a verb it cannot make sense as Shuniya

Before hand I thought perhaps it meant

mind has been in loving intoxication of infallible Anahat Shabad ( shuniya)

but this does not seem right
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Is the following word ਸੁਣਿ in the pangti
> below mean Suniya ( listened )or shuniya ( Anhat
> Shabad)
> ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ਭਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ
> ਆਗਮੁ ਸੁਣਿਆ ॥
> Meaning my mind has been in loving intoxication of
> infallible Anahat Shabad ( shuniya). If it is
> referring to Shuniya should it be pronounced with
> a bindi. This word ਸੁਣਿ applies many times
> times in Anand Sahib. When is the word shun or
> sun?
>
>
> The word ਸੁਣਿਆ is a verb and it means
> listening. The Punjabi word for shuniya is
> ਸੁੰਨ but it does not mean thoughtless
> Avastha as in Buddhist religion but means such
> spiritual Avastha which is full of Naam but devoid
> of worldly thoughts.
>
> Kulbir Singh

A bit off topic but bhai sahib could you please elaborate with the use of gurbani as to why ਸੁੰਨ is not a thoughtless Avastha. I have been trying to find the answer.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

A bit off topic but bhai sahib could you please elaborate with the use of gurbani as to why ਸੁੰਨ is not a thoughtless Avastha. I have been trying to find the answer.

Veer Jagdeep Singh jeeo,

The thoughtless Avastha of of Gurmat is such Avastha where in Samadhi there are no worldly thoughts or even consciousness of this world. In such Avastha, one's Surthee is merged in the Jyot form of Naam, which in term is merged with Jyot-Saroopi Vaheguru. Naam and Naami Vaheguru are actually one and the same in this state, as per Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee.

Buddhist believe in annihilation of the self and this is why they promote such Avastha that is thoughtless. Since they don't believe in a Deity as we do, their thoughtless Avastha or the Shunya Avastha is next to being dead or unconscious. Gurmat preaches everlasting blissful Jeevan and to have jeevan one has to have consciousness and having consciousness means there should be some thought in the mind and in case of Gurmat that thought is the Bliss of Naam and Darshan of Vaheguru.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login