ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jara or Zara?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Jara or Zara?
March 19, 2010 06:00PM
Is the following pangti pronounced as Zara or Jara.

ਜਰਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਜੋਬਨੁ ਗਇਆ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਨ ਨੀਕਾ ॥
ਇਹੁ ਜੀਅਰਾ ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕੋ ਕਉਡੀ ਲਗਿ ਮੀਕਾ ॥੩॥

Is the word ਜਰਾ recited as Jara meaning Old or is it recited Zara(n) meaning Golden. Poetically the pangti has more of a flow when we say Jara Jeevan Joban Gayaa, but I was wondering is it possible that Zar is referring to Golden.

Zar means Gold and I was wondering by adding Bindi does it become plural hence given the meaning golden. Meaning this golden age of youth has passed without doing good ( Naam Japna, good deeds etc). I remember reading a Pangti once in which Guru Sahib mentions how for the manmukhs the youth is spent in pleasures and the body later becomes old and senile and the person regrets this life on his deathbed. I also remember reading another pangti that mentioned meditate on Naam while you are still young. I cant remember the pangti as it was awhile ago.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Jara or Zara?
March 20, 2010 04:46AM
ਜਰਾ, ਜੀਵਨ ਜੋਬਨੁ ਗਇਆ; ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਨ ਨੀਕਾ ॥
ਇਹੁ ਜੀਅਰਾ ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕੋ, ਕਉਡੀ ਲਗਿ ਮੀਕਾ ॥੩॥

The Bishraams should be as per above. Jara has arrived, Joban of Jeevan has gone but nothing spiritual was done.

Definitely here ਜਰਾ means old age. The word for Gold is ਜਰ and I have not seen this word with Kanna in the end, in the meanings of Gold. I have not done research about it either.

Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, good thinking! I never thought of it, from this angle.

Kulbir Singh
March 20, 2010 06:17AM
thanks for posting this, this shabad is sung quite often at keertan darbars
March 20, 2010 01:57PM
ਜਰਾ ਜੀਵਨ, ਜੋਬਨੁ ਗਇਆ; ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਨ ਨੀਕਾ ॥
ਇਹੁ ਜੀਅਰਾ ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕੋ, ਕਉਡੀ ਲਗਿ ਮੀਕਾ ॥੩॥

Veer Ji, Could it be; if Vishram is like above. Jara of Jeewan (is here); Joban (of Jeewan) is gone------------------------------------
March 20, 2010 02:16PM
Veer MB Singh jeeo, actually the word ਜੀਵਨ is a Dehli Deepak and goes with both ਜਰਾ and ਜੋਬਨੁ. It means ਜੀਵਨ ਦਾ ਜਰਾ and ਜੀਵਨ ਦਾ ਜੋਬਨ. The verb ਆਇਆ for ਜਰਾ ਜੀਵਨ is Gupt. Perhaps, what you are suggesting i.e. bishraam after ਜੀਵਨ is better because it does not spoil the Chaal of the Paath. Otherwise, now with more Vichaar, I think maybe we should not have a Jamkee at all and just have a Bishraam after ਗਇਆ.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. May Guru Sahib bless us with Nirmal Vichaar and forgive our mistakes while doing Gurbani Vichaar.

Thanks for your thought provoking post.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
March 20, 2010 03:30PM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ਜਰਾ, ਜੀਵਨ ਜੋਬਨੁ ਗਇਆ;
> ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਨ ਨੀਕਾ ॥
> ਇਹੁ ਜੀਅਰਾ
> ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕੋ, ਕਉਡੀ ਲਗਿ
> ਮੀਕਾ ॥੩॥
>
> The Bishraams should be as per above. Jara has
> arrived, Joban of Jeevan has gone but nothing
> spiritual was done.
>
> Definitely here ਜਰਾ means old age.
>
> Kulbir Singh

Bhai Sahib I think you are right I did a search of the word Jara used by Bhagat Kabir Ji and they all seem to be clearly referring to Old age here are some examples.

ਜਰਾ ਹਾਕ ਦੀ ਸਭ ਮਤਿ ਥਾਕੀ ਏਕ ਨ ਥਾਕਸਿ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

ਛਿਨੁ ਛਿਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਛੀਜੈ ਜਰਾ ਜਨਾਵੈ ॥

ਕਬੀਰਾ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਜਰਾ ਪਹੂੰਚਿਓ ਆਇ ॥

ਇਹੁ ਜੀਉ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੈ ॥
ਜਰਾ ਮਰਨੁ ਛੂਟੈ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਭਾਗੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਪਵਨਪਤਿ ਉਨਮਨਿ ਰਹਨੁ ਖਰਾ ॥
ਨਹੀ ਮਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਜਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਪਵਨਪਤਿ ਉਨਮਨਿ ਰਹਨੁ ਖਰਾ ॥
ਨਹੀ ਮਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਜਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Their are only a few exceptions I found. In the above panti perhaps Jara can be referring to golden life ( human life) meaning. After reaching dasam duaar there is no death and no coming and going including coming in the golden human birth?

Also the pauri below the word Jara can be interpreted as Golden human life.

ਕਾਜੀ ਸੋ ਜੁ ਕਾਇਆ ਬੀਚਾਰੈ ॥

ਕਾਇਆ ਕੀ ਅਗਨਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਰਜਾਰੈ ॥

ਸੁਪਨੈ ਬਿੰਦੁ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਝਰਨਾ ॥

ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ ਜਰਾ ਨ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥

The qwazee that meditated on God does not take human birth again nor does he die.

ਮਾਨਸ ਜਨਮ ਕਾ ਏਹੀ ਲਾਹੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜਰਾ ਰੋਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਕਾਲਿ ਗ੍ਰਸੀ ਨਹੀ ਕਾਇਆ ॥
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਬਿਕਲ ਭਈ ਨਹੀ ਬਾਨੀ ॥
ਭਜਿ ਲੇਹਿ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਸਾਰਿਗਪਾਨੀ ॥੨॥

Meaning as long as you have this golden age and not been effect by the disease of death meditate on WaaheGuru.

In the original pangti discussed

Perhaps the word Jara means Golden Life/human life, and the word jeevan is used because its a dehli deepak as you mentioned?

But looking at the word jara used by Kabeer it often seems like Jara means old
March 20, 2010 06:55PM
1. ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ ਜਰਾ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥

2. ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜਰਾ ਰੋਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥

Veer Sukhdeep Singh Ji,

You find these two exceptions for a different meaning of Jara. But, is it not so that jara in these two pankities also mean old age.

1. The qwazee that meditated on God neither ages (old) nor dies.

2. Before the old age and disease appears-----------------------

Veer Kulbir Singh; Dehli Deepak is a very fine and interesting term in Gurbani Viakaran. Let our readers know what is Dehli and What is Deepak. Also that How Dehli Deepak used to light both sides i.e. inside as well as outside of Dehli. ਨ is Dehli Deepak in the following Pankiti, I think.

ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ ਜਰਾ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥
March 20, 2010 09:52PM
MB Singh Wrote:
> 1. ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ
> ਜਰਾ ਨ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥
>
> 2. ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜਰਾ
> ਰੋਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥
>
> Veer Sukhdeep Singh Ji,
>
> You find these two exceptions for a different
> meaning of Jara. But, is it not so that jara in
> these two pankities also mean old age.
>
> 1. The qwazee that meditated on God
> neither ages (old) nor dies.
>
> 2. Before the old age and disease
> appears-----------------------
>
> Veer Kulbir Singh; Dehli Deepak is a very fine and
> interesting term in Gurbani Viakaran. Let our
> readers know what is Dehli and What is Deepak.
> Also that How Dehli Deepak used to light both
> sides i.e. inside as well as outside of Dehli. ਨ
> is Dehli Deepak in the following Pankiti, I
> think.
>
> ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ ਜਰਾ ਨ
> ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥

Veer Ji

I believe the following two can also have the meaning " golden age"

ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ
> ਜਰਾ ਨ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥

That qwazee neither Gets reborn- as a human nor dies he die. He gets Jeevan Mukhti. he ends birth and death in this life.
If a person meditates on God they still age ( turn old) so I dont see how Jara can mean old age on this pangti.

The next pangti

ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜਰਾ
> ਰੋਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥

I think it could also mean- As you have this golden age ( human life) you can end this disease of death and re-birth.
If we were to interpret the following as

Before the old age and disease appears Meditate on God then this too does not seem complete. Because we should meditate on God even if we have entered an old age or become diseased.

In the oringal pangti posted Bhagat Ji is mentioning how valuable and short this golden age ( human birth) is. Going back to the original pangti posted it seems like Bhagat Ji is saying that this golden day is so short it only last a day.

ਗ੍ਰਿਹੁ ਤਜਿ ਬਨ ਖੰਡ ਜਾਈਐ ਚੁਨਿ ਖਾਈਐ ਕੰਦਾ ॥

ਅਜਹੁ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਨ ਛੋਡਈ ਪਾਪੀ ਮਨੁ ਮੰਦਾ ॥੧॥

ਕਿਉ ਛੂਟਉ ਕੈਸੇ ਤਰਉ ਭਵਜਲ ਨਿਧਿ ਭਾਰੀ ॥

ਰਾਖੁ ਰਾਖੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਬੀਠੁਲਾ ਜਨੁ ਸਰਨਿ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Thus Bhagat Ji is becoming so vulnerable ( humble) that he has desperately fallen at the feet of Waaheguru asking for his Kirpa before the day is over in other words before he gambles this golden age ( human birth) to paap. Bhagat Ji is then asking how do we swim across this worldly ocean that he has done numerous things but badness does not leave despite all types of attempts.

ਬਿਖੈ ਬਿਖੈ ਕੀ ਬਾਸਨਾ ਤਜੀਅ ਨਹ ਜਾਈ ॥

ਅਨਿਕ ਜਤਨ ਕਰਿ ਰਾਖੀਐ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਲਪਟਾਈ ॥੨॥

A Gursikh once asked Sri Guru Hargobind the same question " how do we control the Panj doots ( Kaam) and remember God" Guru Sahib told him that he was going to die at the end of the day. So the Gursikh couldnt stop thinking about God throughout the day he didnt think about lust at all.

ਇਹੁ ਜੀਅਰਾ ਨਿਰਮੋਲਕੋ ਕਉਡੀ ਲਗਿ ਮੀਕਾ ॥੩॥

Bhagat Ji states in this short Golden age he has not done any good. He is calling this Golden age as young in other words it has a short life span ( Joban Jeevan) meaning the day has ended and I have not done good. I have not made any good out of this priceless golden age ( Nirmolak) . I have treated this golden age as a mere shell thats not even worth a penny. hence this golden life has been treated like a penny. Bhagat Ji is mentioning how he has ended many lifetimes and has not done good. These life times were short and he did not reach fullfill the goal that was intended. He then ask be merciful that this time around I make good of this golden but short life.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਾਧਵਾ ਤੂ ਸਰਬ ਬਿਆਪੀ ॥

ਤੁਮ ਸਮਸਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਮੋਹਿ ਸਮਸਰਿ ਪਾਪੀ ॥੪॥੩॥

Bhagat Ji is and saying you exist in everyone you are most merciful and I am the biggest sinner.
This pangti reminds me of the avasta of another Bhagat ( Baba Harnam Singh Ji Rampur) Baba Ji considered himself to be the biggest sinner he would see God in everyone. He always did good for people and believed death was close at hand. When we fear death and begin to remember God then all our past karmas have no effect and get burned up becuase we are remembering God. Knowing Death is close by makes one more humble and vulnerable thus they try to make every effort in reaching God in this human birth.

In Satjug people had much time to do Bhagti their life span was extremely long. In Kaljug the lifespan is extremely short ( 70-80 years if your lucky) . This human birth is so young ( Joban Jeevan) it does not last long. But the advantage we have is the Gurmantar. The Gurmantar makes each breath a success despite having a limited amount of breaths. The true meaning of this Shabad we can never fully understand ; We can only hope that Merciful Guru Ji allows us to make each breath a success this time in this short life which is not going to last long.

WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru.....
March 21, 2010 09:51AM
This Daas intends to write about Dehli Deepaks in details in a separate post. Presented here is an earlier writeup:

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤੇਰਿਆ ਚਰਣਾ ਕਉ ਬਲਿਹਾਰਾ ॥੪॥੧॥੪੭॥

In this pankiti, the word ਮਿਲਿਆ is a Dehli Deepak. What Dehli-Deepak means is such lamp (Deepak) that is placed right on the door (dehli). This way the lamp gives light on both sides of the door. Same way a word (adverb, an adjective etc) that is connected to two words is called a Dehli Deepak. In this case, this word ਮਿਲਿਆ is connected to both ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ and ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ . The meaning would be clear if I write it in Punjabi as follows:

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ, (ਤਾਂ ਮਿਲਿਆ) ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ...

Kulbir Singh
March 21, 2010 09:58AM
Veer Sukhdeep Singh jeeo,

Veer Ji
I believe the following two can also have the meaning " golden age"
ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਜੀ ਕਉ
> ਜਰਾ ਨ ਮਰਨਾ ॥੨॥
That qwazee neither Gets reborn- as a human nor dies he die. He gets Jeevan Mukhti. he ends birth and death in this life.
If a person meditates on God they still age ( turn old) so I dont see how Jara can mean old age on this pangti.

When Guru Sahib says that Gurmukhs don't get ਜਰਾ it means that they don't get negatives of ਜਰਾ e.g. weakness, diseases etc. This does not mean that their hair don't become grey. The old age does come but it does not come with its negativities e.g. Baba Deep Singh despite his old age fought like a young man. Siri Guru Amardaas jee before become Guru, did sewa of Siri Guru Angad Dev jee as actively as a young man. Same way, Gurmukhs don't feel old age.

In the above pankiti, ਜਰਾ means old age. Such Gurmukh Kaazi as stated above neither dies nor gets old; i.e. always stays fresh and ageless.

ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜਰਾ
> ਰੋਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥
I think it could also mean- As you have this golden age ( human life) you can end this disease of death and re-birth.
If we were to interpret the following as
Before the old age and disease appears Meditate on God then this too does not seem complete. Because we should meditate on God even if we have entered an old age or become diseased.

The meaning is very simple - as long as you don't get ਜਰਾ i.e. old age and disease, meditate on the Naam. When one gets weak with disease or old age, then its hard to vigorously Japp Naam. It seems like here too ਜਰਾ means old age.

Rest Bhai, Guru Sahib knows. Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
March 21, 2010 11:12AM
Baba Fareed Jee has written a beautiful thing about age in GurbaNee

ਜੋਬਨਜਾਂਦੇਨਾਡਰਾਂਜੇਸਹਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਨਜਾਇ ॥
I am not afraid of losing my youth, as long as I do not lose the Love of my Husband Lord

ਫਰੀਦਾਕਿਤੀਜੋਬਨਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਬਿਨੁਸੁਕਿਗਏਕੁਮਲਾਇ
Fareed, so many youths, without His Love, have dried up and withered away.
March 21, 2010 03:34PM
Vista Wrote:
> Baba Fareed Jee has written a beautiful thing
> about age in GurbaNee
>
> ਜੋਬਨਜਾਂਦੇਨਾਡਰਾਂਜ�
> �ਸਹਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਨਜਾਇ ॥
> I am not afraid of losing my youth, as long as I
> do not lose the Love of my Husband Lord
>
> ਫਰੀਦਾਕਿਤੀਜੋਬਨਪ੍ਰ�
> �ਤਿਬਿਨੁਸੁਕਿਗਏਕੁਮਲ�
> ��ਇ
> Fareed, so many youths, without His Love, have
> dried up and withered away.

WaaheGuru what wonderful words Sheikh Fareed Ji has recited. If only those old people who die their hair and beards in fear of looking old could read these beautiful words.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login