ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why being "happy" is a gun

Posted by sk 
Why being "happy" is a gun
May 16, 2012 03:30PM
The understanding of how to be chardeekala is something that this moorakh has struggled with since taking amrit. For a long time, I've been deluded by the idea that focusing on one's pain can win over Guru Sahib. I've looked at examples such as Mata Gulab Kaur jee, whose bairaag from the loss of her husband caused her to break free from all her worldly bonds and open her dasam duar, as evidence that pain is a source of kirpa. The problem is, that when this type of thinking takes over, focusing on worldly pain clouds our ability to be khush with bhanna.

My gurmat budh has taken a long time to mature, but being blessed with the sangat of truly chardeekala gursikhs has shown me that, in order to be accepted as sohagans by Akaal Purakh, we have no choice but to force ourselves to remain always in chardikala.

For a Gursikh who has naam, it seems like being angry, depressed, anxious or bitter towards any situation at all is inexcusable. If we lack sangat, if we lack gun, or even if we lack kamaee, we should be greatful to Guru Sahib to giving us the greatest gift that exists, naam. Whatever our circumstances may be, if we have naam, then we have every reason to be happy. And this happiness is the mark of a gurmukh.

Being always khush is the biggest way we can show Guru Sahib that we are greatful for giving us what he has. We should treat everything as if we are being treated with a big thaal of "Singapore Noodles"! If we acknowledge that no circumstance is aweful as long as we can keep japping naam every second, then surely Guru Sahib will bless us with his darshan.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Very good thoughts,

Sometimes we get so caught up in complaining about our situation that we don't see how lucky we are to have Gursikhi. It is not only about the goal of Gursikhi, but even the path to the goal, however long it takes, is also a reward.

Rome was not built in a day.

Preetam Singh
Great Thoughts, a Gurmukh treats both Dukh and Sukh alike. He does not see a difference in the two. But I think instead of the word "happy" here, it would better fit to say "contentment" (santokh). Contentment is what everyone strives for, as Guru Sahib states "
ਬਿਨਾ ਸੰਤੋਖ, ਨਹੀ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਜੈ." Nobody is fulfilled without contentment. It is what the whole world strives for. Everyone is in pain, according to Bani, one cannot be content until they recieve Darshan of Akal Purakh, until then one is caught in the trap of Dukh/Sukh. "ਬਿਨੁ ਮਿਲਬੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਸੰਤੋਖਾ, ਪੇਖਿ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜੀਜੈ." As Gurmukh, the more one jaaps one the closer and the closer they get to Darshan, one naturally feels more and more content. But until the ultimate goal is reached, than there will always be that small missing piece inside of us.
Vaaheguroo,

Very nice post bhainjee. This has also been on my mind for quite a while, and you summarized it perfectly. In our stupidity, we forget how blessed we are. We forget how many lifetimes it took us to finally get this janam - our chance at finally merging with Vaheguru Jee. We forget that naam is the most precious gift, a gift that all beings yearn for. With so much to be "happy" about it's very silly that this mind prefers to focus on the negative. As Gurman Singh veerji stated, we will never be fully content until we receive Darshan of Akaal Purakh and the last line of your post sk jeeo is brilliant: "If we acknowledge that no circumstance is aweful as long as we can keep japping naam every second, then surely Guru Sahib will bless us with his darshan."

Vaahegurooo!! May Guroo Saahib do kirpaa...
Wonderful thoughts Sanmukh Kaur jeeo.

It is normally seen that Naam Abhyaasi Gursikhs stay happy and are relaxed all the time. Why wouldn't they be; when they see their All Powerful Sachkhandi Father - Vaheguru - in control of everything. It is a serious side-effect of following Gurmat that the Seeker gets relaxed, worry-free, happy and over-joyed all the time. He does not have to make an effort to be happy but he is naturally happy.

Before we achieve the Avastha where Naam Abhyaas naturally makes us happy, we have to make an effort to stay relaxed and worry-free by understanding Gurmat Gyaan. Gurmat preaches that Vaheguru who is All Powerful and is in control of everything, is the Friend, Father, Mother and Master of Bhagats. He is extremely Merciful generally but towards His Bhagats He is extremely Merciful. This Gyaan should make the Bhagats rejoicing all the time.

Kulbir Singh
If by chance we do get into periods of feeling down or depressed or in a constant of worry, this is a sign that we are being lazy in our bhagti and rehat.

I have countless times have seen that when I get into my "usual paat routine", worry, depression and negative feelings melt away like ice on a hot day. It does not take too long when we cannot wipe the smile off our face : ) Other wise I become plagued with all of the negativities of life. Leave everything to Guruji - do not complain and he will surely get you back to your usual happy self.

Bhul Chuk Maaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login