ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib jee Updesh - Passage from Suraj Prakash

Posted by Vista 
A excellent passage I was sent recently.

Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib jee Updesh - Passage from Suraj Prakash

Below is a passage from Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth, written by Kavi Santokh Singh jee in 1843. The passage is a section where Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib jee is addressing the Sikhs of Burhaanpur.

'ਹਮ ਕੋ ਸੁਮਤਿ ਬਤਾਵਨਿ ਕਰੀਅਹਿ । ਭਵ ਸਾਗਰ ਤੇ ਪਾਰ ਉਤਰੀਅਹਿ ' ।33।
[A Sikh of Guru Hargobind Sahib says] "Please bless us with true teachings which will help us cross this [terrifying] ocean of the World.

ਤਬਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਉਚਾਰਾ । 'ਧਰਮਸਾਲ ਇਕ ਕਰਹੁ ਉਦਾਰਾ ।
Then Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib spoke. 'Build a Dharamsala' [gathering place for worship].

ਬਡੀ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤਿ ਮਿਲਹਿਂ ਸਭਿ ਆਇ । ਗੁਰਬਾਨੀ ਕੋ ਸੁਨਹਿਂ ਸੁਨਾਇਂ ।34।
Gather together [with Sangat] early in the morning, listen and recite verses from Gurbani (Also Do Naam Simran).

ਅਰਥ ਬਿਚਾਰਹੁ ਕਥਾ ਕਰੀਜੈ । ਬਹੁਰ ਕਮਾਵਹੁ ਮਨ ਧਰਿ ਲੀਜੈ ॥
Contemplate and perform discourse [katha] upon the meanings [of Gurbani], then apply the teachings you have learned to your life.

ਸਮੋਂ ਆਰਤੀ ਚਰਨ ਕਵਲ ਲਗਿ । ਕਰਿ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਜਾਹੁ ਨਿਜ ਘਰ ਮਗ ।35।
At the appropriate time perform Aarti Kirtan focusing on the Lotus-Feet of the Lord, make a supplication [Ardaas] before going back to your home.

ਧਰਮ ਕਿਰਤ ਕਰਿ ਕੂਰ ਨ ਕਹੀਅਹਿ । ਪੁਨ ਰਹਰਾਸ ਸਮੋਂ ਜਬਿ ਲਹੀਅਹਿ ।
Earn an honest living [within Dharam] and never lie, when the evening approaches recite 'Rehraas'.

ਜਾਮ ਨਿਸਾ ਲਗਿ ਕਿਰਤਨੁ ਕਰੀਅਹਿ । ਅੰਤ ਸੋਹਿਲਾ ਪਢਿਬੋ ਲਹੀਅਹਿ ।36।
Kirtan should be performed until one quarter of the night remains, at that time it should end with the recitation of 'Sohila'.

ਜਾਮ ਨਿਸਾ ਤੇ ਕਰਹੁ ਸ਼ਨਾਨ । ਪਠਹੁ ਕੰਠ ਬਾਨੀ ਸੁਖ ਖਾਨਿ ।
Bathe early in the morning [the last quarter of the night], then memorize and recite & meditate on Naam/Gurbani, the true source of happiness.

ਛੁਧਿਤਿ ਨਗਨ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਖੋ ਜੋਇ । ਭੋਜਨ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਦੇਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਹੋਇ ।37।
When seeing a hungry or naked Sikh, provide that Sikh with clothes and food and you will be rewarded with happiness.

ਪੁਰਬ ਅਮੱਸ੍ਯਾ ਅਰੁ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਾਂਦਿ । ਦੀਪਮਾਲ ਬੈਸਾਖੀ ਆਦਿ ।
Get together in Sangat for auspicious days like Masia [when the moon is at its smallest phase], Sangrad [the beginning of the month] and Baisakhi etc.

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਕਾਰ ਇਕੱਤ੍ਰ ਕਰੀਜੈ । ਤਬਿ ਪੰਚਾਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਕਰਿ ਬਰਤੀਜੈ ।38।
Perform the Gurus work together [with Sangat], prepare Karah Prashaad and serve it to all.

ਤਜਿ ਹੌਮੈ ਧਾਰਹੁ ਮਨ ਨੀਵਾਂ । ਇਮ ਸਤਿਸੰਗਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਦੀਵਾ ।
Forsake your ego and keep your head low [embrace humility], with this mindset enter the True Congregation.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Great find! Thanks for sharing Gagan SIngh Jeeo. This is the third source which mentions to sing Aarti in the morning.
That is not Gagan Singh! I think you are mistaking him for me, I am Gagan Singh. He is someone else.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login