ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Brahmgyani's reaction at being Matha-tek by someone

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Baba Sham Singh jee lived till the first quarter of 20th century and went to Sachkhand at the age of 125 years. He has the distinction of doing Kirtan Sewa at Siri Harmandir Sahib for more than 80 years. He saw rise and fall of Khalsa Raj, rise of Singh Sabha and formation of the Shiromini Committee in the 1920s. Baba jee was accepted as Brahmgyani Gurmukh the by whole Panth. Sant Attar Singh Mastuanewale, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and Bhai Vir Singh jee recognized him as great Gurmukh.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee in one of his books has written a Saakhi about Baba Sham Singh jee. Once Baba jee had a vision of the next world. He saw that a number of individuals were tied on camels and were being beaten mercilessly by Jammdoots. Baba jee asked someone as to why these individuals were being beaten up. He got the reply that these people allowed gullible devotees to Matha-Tek to them in the Maat-Lok (this world) and now they were being punished for this crime.

Even before having this vision, Baba Sham Singh jee did not allow anyone to Matha-Tek to him but now with this supernatural experience, he became very strict in not allowing anyone to Matha-tek or touch his Charan. If anyone did touch his feet, he would never rest till he too touched that person’s feet.

Baba jee was an ocean of divine knowledge and was a master of mystical powers (Ridhi Sidhi) but he kept himself hidden in his humility so well, that very few realized the extent of his great spiritual state.

Once he along with other Gursikhs was going for Darshan of Siri Harmandir Sahib. At this time his age was about 120 years. As he approached Darshani Deodhi, he went on his knees and did Matha-Tek to Siri Darbar Sahib. A 16 years old sewadaar of his Jatha got his chance and touched Baba jee’s feet from the back. Baba jee realized it and before he could say anything, that boy ran away towards Dukhbhanjani Beri. Sant jee ordered his Sewadaars to catch the boy and bring him over to him.

The boy was pretty fast and it took half an hour for them to catch him and bring him to Baba jee. Baba jee caught hold of both his feet, placed them on his forehead and humbly said, “ਕੀ ਫਿਰ ਤੂੰ ਗੁਲਾਮ ਦੇ ਪੈਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਹੱਥ ਲਾਏਂਗਾ?" (Will you ever touch this slave's feet again?).

Noteworthy thing is that Baba jee always addressed himself as Ghulaam and never used the pronoun "Mai" (I or we) for himself.

You can imagine what would have been the condition of the poor boy when he saw such great Mahapurakh placing his head on his feet. He was greatly vexed and holding his ears by his hands apologized and promised never to do so again.

Bhai Vir Singh has written that he was blessed with Sikhi through Baba Sham Singh jee. When Bhai Vir Singh took Amrit from Siri Akal Takhat Sahib, Baba Sham Singh was the Jathedar of Punj Pyare. He writes that Sant jee used to love him greatly but never allowed him to touch his Charan.

Baba Sham Singh jee was such great Gurmukh!

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A 16 years old sewadaar of his
> Jatha got his chance and touched Baba jee’s feet
> from the back. Baba jee realized it and before he
> could say anything, that boy ran away towards
> Dukhbhanjani Beri.
------------------------------------------------------

Smart kid almost got away!

What a great Sakhi this is. The Shardaloos, especially women in the villages are always at the forefront of Matha Teking to Gursikhs. Babas should also stop them because they should ideally know what is right and what is not. Even Sant Jarnail Singh Jee would not allow anyone to Matha-Tek to him.
Here is a picture of Baba Shaam Singh Jee with his Saranda.

Baba Sham Singh Jee was a great Gurmukh. Baba Sham Singh Jee used to Tipharey Di Kirtan Sewa every morning with his Saranda (a string musical instrument). Tipehray Di Chowki starts just after the Darbar Sahib cleaning sewa and before Asa Ki War Kirtan for many decades. Bhai Saheb used to live right next to Akal Takhat Saheb in a mud hut. The Saranda he used to do sewa with can still be seen in the Darbar Saheb museum located above the main Darbar Saheb entrance (Ghanta Ghar Entrance). Principla Teja Singh (who wrote biography of Sant Baba Attar Singh Mustaney Wale) was introduced to Sant Baba Attar Singh jee via Baba Sham Singh.

Dhar Guru Dhan Guru Piyarey
thank you for posting this.

i have a question... what's the appropriate way to stop someone from doing matha-tek to people in the following situation:

i had the wonderful opportunity to join amritsar sangat at a village samagam... it's part of a new push to do keertan prachar in villages, where most youth are influenced by deras and not knowledgeable about sikhi. when we got to the village, we saw that only the very elderly sikhs had kept kes... every one of the youth were clean shaven.
while keertan was happening, a few of the youth did matha tek to the jatha (clearly influenced by dera "sants"). almost everyone was absorbed in keertan, a d those who were aware of the youth's actions were so stunned that they just sat and watched... eventually sevadar who was doing chaur sahib got up and scolded a youth who had done this.

but i have to think, could we have stopped it from happening earlier?

anyone have suggestions for what to do in this situation?
i remember a video of sant jarnail singh jee where a bibi matha teks and sant jee just turns and speed walks away i was like
dhan dhan dhanwinking smiley
Also Akali Kaur Singh Jee was opposed to people math tek or feet touching

Not Liking Self-Worship

Akali jee was very opposed to people bowing to him or touching his feet. If someone would try, he would grab their hands and say, “It is Guru Sahib’s order to say “Vahiguru jee ka Khalsa Vaahiguru jee kee Fateh!” to Singhs. Our heads should not bow before anyone but Guru Sahib.”

Akali jee had firm belief that no one had the right to have others bow to them. All Singhs should be treated equally.

If some Muslim would say to Akali jee, “Baba jee, Salaam!” Akali jee would hold his Sri Sahib or Safaajang in both hands, raise it to the sky and say, “To the Lord…”

Akali Jee used to say Singhs should say Fateh to each other and the reply should be proper, not just a nod of the head or tipping of the walking stick.

while keertan was happening, a few of the youth did matha tek to the jatha (clearly influenced by dera "sants"). almost everyone was absorbed in keertan, a d those who were aware of the youth's actions were so stunned that they just sat and watched... eventually sevadar who was doing chaur sahib got up and scolded a youth who had done this.

If Maharaj jee is not present and there is sangat of Gurmukhs, it is fine to Mathatek to Sangat, considering it Guru Sahib's Roop. But if Guru Sahib is present, then after doing Matha-tek to Guru Sahib, one should get up and say Fateh first to Guru Sahib, then facing Bibyaan side of Sangat say fateh in mouth and then turn to Singhs' side and say fateh. Only then one should go seat oneself in Sangat.

Today, hardly anyone says fateh to Sangat when arriving in Sangat but if you notice any Bazurg (senior, old) Gurmukh, you will notice they always say fateh to Sangat before getting seated.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Vista Wrote:
> “It is Guru
> Sahib’s order to say “Vahiguru jee ka Khalsa
> Vaahiguru jee kee Fateh!” to Singhs. Our heads
> should not bow before anyone but Guru Sahib.”
>

just a note on this. guru ramdas ji says, "kar sadhu anjulee pun vadha hai", meaning it is great to bow to a saint. i have seen most gurmukhs bow their heads in humility when saying the fateh. i don't think there is anything wrong in this. touching the feet is clearly a no-no, but a humble bow can be a beautiful thing.
Nice Story
Waheguru Ji Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I reference to the above posts I just wanted to humbly put a viewpoint forward.

I can understand that gurmukh pyare have advised against matha teking such as in the above sakhi’s.

But on the other hand Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj Ji’s hukham stating we should fall at the feet of bhagat jan, gursikh and gurmukhs as shown below:

ਹਉਵਾਰੀਜੀਉਵਾਰੀਆਪਿਭਗਤਿਕਰਨਿਅਵਰਾਭਗਤਿਕਰਾਵਣਿਆ||
ਤਿਨਾਭਗਤਜਨਾਕਉਸਦਨਮਸਕਾਰੁਕੀਜੈਜੋਅਨਦਿਨੁਹਰਿਗੁਣਗਾਵਣਿਆ||੧||ਰਹਾਉ||

I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who themselves worship the Lord, and inspire others to worship Him as well.
I humbly bow to those devotees who chant the Glorious Praises of the Lord, night and day. ||1||Pause||
(DDSGGSJ Ang 123)

ਤਜਿਅਭਿਮਾਨੁਜਨਮਮਰਣੁਨਿਵਾਰਹੁ||
ਹਰਿਕੇਦਾਸਕੇਚਰਣਨਮਸਕਾਰਹੁ||੨||

Renounce your arrogant pride, and end the cycle of birth and death.
Bow in humility to the feet of the Lord's slave. ||2||
(DDSGGSJ Ang 191)

ਮਃ੪||

ਜਿਹੋਂਦੈਗੁਰੂਬਹਿਟਿਕਿਆਤਿਸੁਜਨਕੀਵਡਿਆਈਵਡੀਹੋਈ||
ਤਿਸੁਕਉਜਗਤੁਨਿਵਿਆਸਭੁਪੈਰੀਪਇਆਜਸੁਵਰਤਿਆਲੋਈ||
ਤਿਸਕਉਖੰਡਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡਨਮਸਕਾਰੁਕਰਹਿਜਿਸਕੈਮਸਤਕਿਹਥੁਧਰਿਆਗੁਰਿਪੂਰੈਸੋਪੂਰਾਹੋਈ||
ਗੁਰਕੀਵਡਿਆਈਨਿਤਚੜੈਸਵਾਈਅਪੜਿਕੋਨਸਕੋਈ||

Fourth Mehla:
Great is the greatness of that humble being, whom the Guru Himself anointed in His Presence.
All the world comes and bows to him, falling at his feet. His praises spread throughout the world.
The galaxies and solar systems bow in reverence to him; the Perfect Guru has placed His hand upon his head, and he has become perfect.
The glorious greatness of the Guru increases day by day; no one can equal it.
O servant Nanak, the Creator Lord Himself established him; God preserves his honor. ||3||

(DDSGGSJ ang 379)

ਪਉੜੀ||

ਧੰਨੁਧੰਨੁਸੋਗੁਰਸਿਖੁਕਹੀਐਜੋਸਤਿਗੁਰਚਰਣੀਜਾਇਪਇਆ||
ਧੰਨੁਧੰਨੁਸੋਗੁਰਸਿਖੁਕਹੀਐਜਿਨਿਹਰਿਨਾਮਾਮੁਖਿਰਾਮੁਕਹਿਆ||
ਧੰਨੁਧੰਨੁਸੋਗੁਰਸਿਖੁਕਹੀਐਜਿਸੁਹਰਿਨਾਮਿਸੁਣਿਐਮਨਿਅਨਦੁਭਇਆ||
ਧੰਨੁਧੰਨੁਸੋਗੁਰਸਿਖੁਕਹੀਐਜਿਨਿਸਤਿਗੁਰਸੇਵਾਕਰਿਹਰਿਨਾਮੁਲਇਆ||
ਤਿਸੁਗੁਰਸਿਖਕੰਉਹੰਉਸਦਾਨਮਸਕਾਰੀਜੋਗੁਰਕੈਭਾਣੈਗੁਰਸਿਖੁਚਲਿਆ||੧੮||

Pauree:

Blessed, blessed is that Sikh of the Guru, who goes and falls at the Feet of the True Guru.
Blessed, blessed is that Sikh of the Guru, who with his mouth, utters the Name of the Lord.
Blessed, blessed is that Sikh of the Guru, whose mind, upon hearing the Lord's Name, becomes blissful.
Blessed, blessed is that Sikh of the Guru, who serves the True Guru, and so obtains the Lord's Name.
I bow forever in deepest respect to that Sikh of the Guru, who walks in the Way of the Guru. ||18||

(DDSGGSJ ang 593)

ਜੋਦੀਸੈਗੁਰਸਿਖੜਾਤਿਸੁਨਿਵਿਨਿਵਿਲਾਗਉਪਾਇਜੀਉ||
When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet.

(DDSGGSJ Ang 763)

ਕਰਉਨਮਸਕਾਰਭਗਤਜਨਧੂਰਿਮੁਖਿਲਾਵਉ||੩||
I bow in reverence to the humble devotees, and apply the dust of their feet to my face. ||3||

(DDSGGSJ ang 813)

So my question is shouldn't we follow Guru Maharaj Ji's hukam? I can understand we shouldn't matha tek anyone as our Guru as that is only Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Also, Guru Ji's fateh is parvan. But falling at the feet a true gurmukh (as per panti ਜੋਦੀਸੈਗੁਰਸਿਖੜਾਤਿਸੁਨਿਵਿਨਿਵਿਲਾਗਉਪਾਇਜੀਉ||) I can't see it as anything detrimental to one's gursikhi jeevan. From what elder's have explained to me, in previous times gursikhs out of respect used to matha tek their parents, their teachers and their books in which they used to learn gurmukhi.

This post is not a criticize anyone's viewpoint or to demean anyone's experience, rather discuss with yourselves as a brother to a brother.

Waheguru Ji Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login