ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmat Veechar with Dr Darshan Singh Jee

Posted by Preetam Singh 
A few weeks ago I had the fortune of sitting with and talking to Dr Darshan Singh jee about some Gurmat topics and also about his experiences with Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. Dr jee has done a lot of sangat of Bhai Sahib and was one of the founding members of the Akhand Keertani Jatha in Toronto. He now resides near Toronto and attends the local Jatha keertans that happen in this area. In the upcoming days I will try to write out some of the conversations that we had on that day. Here is one story that Dr jee related to me for the benefit of the sangat.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee changing destiny

Dr Darshan Singh jee served as a teacher for a long time in his past and one time a very interesting incident happened with him. He was an assistant professor and was chosen in the public service section to be the principal in Nabha. All of the Singhs used to get together in the evening to do Sri Rehraas Sahib together and Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee used to come as well. Dr jee said how every Singh would first recite one Sri Raamkalee Kee Vaar each at the behest of Bhai Sahib and then recite Sri Rehraas Sahib together. After the paath was completed one of the Singh's remarked to Bhai Sahib that Dr jee is going to leave us now.

Bhai Sahib said "Acha?"

The Singh said "Hanjee, he's become the principal in Nabha and is going to leave us now."

Bhai Sahib then went quite and closed his eyes while putting his head upwards for sometime. Everyone remained quite for sometime and then Bhai Sahib opened his eyes and in a very commanding tone said "Nehi Jana."

Dr jee says that then something very miraculous happened. His selection for the principal job was done in the public section and orders were sent to the secretariat, then to the department, and then they went no further. Just before the orders went the whole way through, and Dr jee would have gotten called to the job, the orders stopped dead in their tracks and the whole episode was forgotten.

Dr jee remarked that this was the antarjaamtaa and spiritual powers of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee that they could change your karams if they wished too.

Bhul Chuk Muaaf Karna

Preetam Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I remember Dr. Darshan Singh Jee narratted a story once to us about 2 years ago, where you were also present. The story went like this:
When Dr. Jee was a professor at some college, there was a hindu professor there as well who also used to teach. The hindu professor had quite a number of Sikh students. One day while the hindu professor was teaching, one of his Sikh students walked up to him and complained about the headache he was having. Upon hearing this, the Hindu professor became furious and angrily said "well, maybe if hadn't tied that huge turban and not kept your hair either, you wouldn't experience the headache! Go cut your hair!" When the Sikh student heard these racist abd angry remark by the hindu professor, he complained to the authorities, and soon the professor was expelled from the college. I think Dr. jee also mentioned that the hindu professor was not allowes to teach anywhere in Punjab, due to this. And I think this was during the British Raj.

Couple of thoughts come to mind:
1) Sikhs in those times were financially, physically and most importantly, spirtually equipped, thus they were not only strong in their Sikhi and were ready to die, but also held powerful and top positions in both in the Panth and the Government.
2) The Sikhs did not withstand any form of racism or discrimination in those times, and Sikh values were respected and politicians made sure they were implemented.
3) The Sikhs had power and status in the community, thus were serving the Panth properly, as well as the mankind in general.
4) anti-Sikh organizations that were bent on eliminating Sikhs, did not exist. And if any hindu made any remarks against the Guru Sahibaan, Sikh history or Sikhi in general, actions were taken against that hindu. Today the very opposite is happening. Hindu terrorist organizations have flung up in every corner, city and town. Their main target is Sikhs. These groups are allowed to do anything they want, spew hate, attack loot and kill people, and no action taken. None of these organizations are neither banned, nor labeled terrorist, in fact, are allowed to flourish and open offices all around the world. Groups such as Shiv Sena are allowed to kill and loot Sikhs, and these acts of violence are not banned nor condemned by the mass media, but Sikhs take action they are immediately labeled "terrorists" and shot. A political hindu group in Canada has even repeatedly requested the Canadian government to ban World Sikh Organization, because it is also somehow a "terrorist" group, all because the WSO can reach out to the Government and have the Sikh voice heard.
Sorry for going off-topic, but Dr. Jee's story reminded me of this and made me think about of the situation of Sikhs today, and how hindus are taking actions to ultimately eliminate us.

Jaspreet Singh
"Dr jee said how every Singh would first recite one Sri Raamkalee Kee Vaar each at the behest of Bhai Sahib and then recite Sri Rehraas Sahib together"

Thanks for sharing the wonderful experience. I noticed how man Singhs recite Sri RaamKalee Kee Vaar before Sri REhras Sahib . Is there a specific reason why Bhai Sahib encouraged this? Also was the bani sung or recited?
Thanks
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
I stumbled upon this very uplifting, inspiring Tapoban article (while googling for Tapoban Gurdwara), and photo of our departed Beloved Gem Gurmukhjio Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhjio>
[www.bing.com]
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
Pritam Singh Jeo Can you or someone else tell more about bha'i sa'h'ib Darshan Singh ji. Judging from what you said, he seems to be a rare Gurmukh
Sometime ago, daas used to wear huge Nihung Singh like karay, just for fun spinning smiley sticking its tongue out and I believe it was Dr. Darshan Singh jee who tapped me in keertan and said:

"Bhai sahib used to wear such huge karay. He would cling them together and vibrate his naam khandaa in full-force. He would do so along with the keertan, and at times when he was by himself"

Dr. Darshan Singh jee also explained to me, how naam-dhunee wasn't done as often as it is done today. Dr. Sahib explained, that learned and chardee kala keertanees, would go into deep bairaag when shabads doing mahimaa of gurmat naam were sung, and sangat as a whole would go into a trance and do naam abhyaas for what seemed like forever. Dr. Sahib said, that though he doesn't mind dhunee, he feels the jatha has come to a sad stage, because keertanees stick in dhunee where it doesn't fit the arths of the shabads, more dhunee is done than keertan, and it is done simply for the purpose of "uplifting and pumping" the keertan.

As much as I used to love dhunee, I couldn't help it, but shake my head in agreement with Dr. Darshan Singh jee's words.
Upkaar Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometime ago, daas used to wear huge Nihung Singh
> like karay, just for fun spinning smiley sticking its tongue out and I believe it was
> Dr. Darshan Singh jee who tapped me in keertan and
> said:
>
> "Bhai sahib used to wear such huge karay. He would
> cling them together and vibrate his naam khandaa
> in full-force. He would do so along with the
> keertan, and at times when he was by himself"
>
> Dr. Darshan Singh jee also explained to me, how
> naam-dhunee wasn't done as often as it is done
> today. Dr. Sahib explained, that learned and
> chardee kala keertanees, would go into deep
> bairaag when shabads doing mahimaa of gurmat naam
> were sung, and sangat as a whole would go into a
> trance and do naam abhyaas for what seemed like
> forever. Dr. Sahib said, that though he doesn't
> mind dhunee, he feels the jatha has come to a sad
> stage, because keertanees stick in dhunee where it
> doesn't fit the arths of the shabads, more dhunee
> is done than keertan, and it is done simply for
> the purpose of "uplifting and pumping" the
> keertan.
>
> As much as I used to love dhunee, I couldn't help
> it, but shake my head in agreement with Dr.
> Darshan Singh jee's words.

Very true, I too used to be a big fan of doing Dhunee in Keertan, but after talking to Older Gurmukhs from Bhai Sahib's time its clear that Dhunee in Keertan was done very rarely, and when it was done it would last for hours at a time. It is a sad state that in the Jatha Dhunee is done anywhere at anytime, even at times where there is no mention of Naam in the Pangti. Dhunee is used by Keertanis to become "famous" and "popular".

Hopefully Guru Sahib does Kirpa on the Jatha and it can return the Glorious Days of Bhai Sahib. Until it does, I see no hope for the Jatha.
Wonderful posts! Thanks for sharing Preetam Singh jeeo. Bhai Sahib jee indeed possessed all Akali Shaktis but he stayed so humble in his life that he was able to hide his Avastha. He forever lived like a humble Sikh and never displayed his Shakti openly.

Kulbir Singh
gsingh Wrote:
>
> Very true, I too used to be a big fan of doing
> Dhunee in Keertan, but after talking to Older
> Gurmukhs from Bhai Sahib's time its clear that
> Dhunee in Keertan was done very rarely, and when
> it was done it would last for hours at a time. It
> is a sad state that in the Jatha Dhunee is done
> anywhere at anytime, even at times where there is
> no mention of Naam in the Pangti. Dhunee is used
> by Keertanis to become "famous" and "popular".
>
> Hopefully Guru Sahib does Kirpa on the Jatha and
> it can return the Glorious Days of Bhai Sahib.
> Until it does, I see no hope for the Jatha.

Uh.. who are you to say that? No matter what, they're are still bhramgyani Gurmukh jan who do sevaa and sangat in Jathaa and that will always be the case. Jathaa gives pehra on Sach and Such and this is why it will always have Fateh! There is always room for improvement but you can never say there is no hope for Jathaa. Please take the comment back.

& yes Dr. jee is awesome. Sitting near Dr. jee in Keertan is really great, sometimes he lets out his ideas filled with emotions after certain tukhs hit like aneeallay aneeyaa and it is very enjoyable to witness this.
Bhagatjot Singh Wrote:
> gsingh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Very true, I too used to be a big fan of doing
> > Dhunee in Keertan, but after talking to Older
> > Gurmukhs from Bhai Sahib's time its clear that
> > Dhunee in Keertan was done very rarely, and
> when
> > it was done it would last for hours at a time.
> It
> > is a sad state that in the Jatha Dhunee is done
> > anywhere at anytime, even at times where there
> is
> > no mention of Naam in the Pangti. Dhunee is
> used
> > by Keertanis to become "famous" and "popular".
> >
> > Hopefully Guru Sahib does Kirpa on the Jatha
> and
> > it can return the Glorious Days of Bhai Sahib.
> > Until it does, I see no hope for the Jatha.
>
>
> Uh.. who are you to say that? No matter what,
> they're are still bhramgyani Gurmukh jan who do
> sevaa and sangat in Jathaa and that will always be
> the case. Jathaa gives pehra on Sach and Such and
> this is why it will always have Fateh! There is
> always room for improvement but you can never say
> there is no hope for Jathaa. Please take the
> comment back.
>
> & yes Dr. jee is awesome. Sitting near Dr. jee in
> Keertan is really great, sometimes he lets out his
> ideas filled with emotions after certain tukhs hit
> like aneeallay aneeyaa and it is very enjoyable to
> witness this.

What I mean Bhagatjot Singh Jee, is that until Guru Sahib does Kirpa on anyone, they have very little to look forward to. My wording was not very good, sorry for that.
Sukhdeep Singh jee,

Many Gursikhs who have done sangat of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee have said that in the later years of Bhai Sahib's life Sri Raamkalee Kee Vaar was his favorite bani and he would make any Gursikh who he would meet recite this bani to him. If there was ever a gathering of Gursikhs then Bhai Sahib would make each one of them recite this bani and would always listen in vismaadh filled state. Dr jee also said how the reason he memorized Sri Raamkalee Kee Vaar is because he would have to recite it to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and this made him take the effort to memorize it. It was usually recited rather than sung.

Only Guru Sahib and his sujaan Gursikhs know the true mahatam of any bani, all we can do is try to mirror what they did by reciting every bani that Guru Sahib has given us.

Preetam Singh
thanks for sharing veer ji. i know this bani was also known as "maafinama" and was recited as a means of forgivenss shortly after they were kicked out of the darbar sahib due to arrogance of raag vidhia. i thought perhaps the recitation of this bani was conncted to this incidence. either way i think its good for kirtanis to recite this banion daily basis this way they will remember kirtan seva is a privilledge from guru ji which will safeguard them from haumi. can you ask bhai sahib if they did sodarchaukee (sung aasa di vaar verses before and aarti verses after rehras) as well?
Sri maan Bh. Preetam Singh's sakhi reminded of a particular event out of a few that was told to me by elders from BHai Sahib Randheer Singh jees time,whom I meet when I was in Narangwal earlier this year.

Bhai Atma Singh Pankokhra Sahibs Singhnee has passed away and Sree Akhand Paath Sahib was held for her. In the middle of the night BHai Sahib him was doing raul , when he started experiencing excruciating pain.(I have forgotten what the pain was now)
Bhai Shaib rang the bell and another Singh came and replaced him. Bhai Atma Singh jee was taken to a room. It sadly was his own end coming. Bhai Sahib Randheer SIngh jee came to see Bhai Atma Singh immediatly. Knowing very few breaths were left, he did a bentee to Bhai Sahib that may I end up in a good place in the hereafter.

BHai Sahib said, "No, if I do it for you then should have done it for your Singhnee(dont recall the name at this point) too. Take a few years from my life and accomplish your goal.".
The details have become a bit blurry to me at this point, but Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee gave 6 years from his own life to Bhai Atma Singh jee and told him accomplish his bhagtee. In other words reach his atamic goal.

Chota veer
Vaheguru! Many thanks Piyassi Chatrik jee for sharing that story. Bhai Rama singh jee & Giani Amolak Singh jee had the same kind of situation which is written in Bhai Rama Singhs book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login