ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kal kaati Raaje Kasai

Posted by akaal74 
Kal kaati Raaje Kasai
March 16, 2012 10:31AM
When Daas first heard about the appointment of Sumedh Saini as the new DGP of Police in Punjab by Badal, it brought back old memories of what we had to go through because of this dusht. Daas then thought of sharing this personal story with the forum members. I typed it but never felt like posting it. What will it achieve? Forum members will read it and then what. What do we gain by sharing all this? Who is really bothered? 21st century Sikhs are busy fighting among themselves on issues which have no relevance. Then others are happy that Badal is again back in government because he did a lot of development in Punjab. Then there are questions what is the alternatives as Bhai Kulbir Singh put it in another thread who do you vote for. So does typing all this painful experience is worth? Not sure. Daas leaves it to you all to decide that along with building up your jeevan through kamai what stand you need to take on Panthic front.

Following is not a made up story. This is a personal experience of Daas’s family and every single word is true. Please note daas has changed the years/locations etc for reasons you all know:

It was in early 90’s when the movement of Sikh homeland was at its peak. This was the time either just before or around when dusht Beantaa was chief minister of Punjab and KPS Gill was the DGP. Sumedh Saini was the SSP at that time. This was either

Our father had gone to attend Kirtan samagam. One day suddenly we heard our doorbell ringing and as my mother opened the door there were policemen in plain clothes with machine guns and rifles. As far as daas can remember there were 6-7 vehicles full of them. All of them entered the home. Some went upstairs and remaining stayed downstairs. They started ripping apart every single corner of the house looking through the stuff. Two of them grabbed me to interrogate. Their head was interrogating my mother and sister, who was just 15 years old. They were looking for our father. Anyway this went on for nearly 3-4 hours. They picked up contact diaries, photo albums and whatever else they wanted and left. My youngest brother was 7 at the time. This all happened without any legal search warrants or without any valid reason. Even when they left we were completely in dark about why they had come.

Next day we got phone call from our Babaji that my father had been picked up by some policemen along with another naujwaan Jatha singh. No one knew where they were taken. Next 7 days were like never ending days of our life when we had no clue where my father was. Then on the 8th day we finally got news that he was released. He travelled back from Chandigarh to home and reached us in the evening. As soon as he entered the home he could barely walk. His body was bruised. Earlier his beard was very long and it used to go beyond the navel point. But when he came back that day it was only few inches. It wasn’t cut but it looked like that hair had been pulled and broken. More than 85% of the beard hair had been removed.

After saanjh of fateh he was served langar by our mother. Then we all sat with him surrounding him from all sides. What he told us in next 2-3 hours is something that daas can never forget throughout his life. Whatever is written after this is in his own words…

“We were picked up by some plain clothes policemen from Punjab police and thrown in a Maruti Gypsy with black cloth tied to our eyes. Throughout the way they kept abusing us and kicking and hitting us. We don’t know how long it took to reach the interrogation center. When we reached there were no signs of police station of anything like that. It was in a remote place built like an industrial shed. As soon as we saw it we realised it was one of the CIA interrogation centres run by KPS Gill’s force. We were taken in handcuffed. When we reached there we were made to sit on the floor which was ice cold. Then the DSP Sita Ram came. As soon as he came he started slapping us and abusing us. He asked his constables to take of our kakaars and clothes. I kept fighting them as long as I could to stop them from taking of my kakaars. There were around 15 of them, kicking me with boots, slapping me… Then one of them slapped so hard that blood started coming out of my ear and I could not hear anything from that side. Eventually they managed to overpower and ripped all the clothes and took off kakaars as well. Even the kachera was not left on the body. For next 7 days we were like this without clothes. This was done to every singh they brough in to the place. Before starting on further tortures investigations this was their first step to humiliate and break the person by defying all modesty. Once they had taken off everything, they started kicking us and beating us with canes and it went on till we were unconscious.

I don’t remember how long I was unconscious but it might have been few hours as by the time I came back to senses the sun was rising and it was next morning. As soon as they found that I was opening my eyes, two of them pulled me by hair and dragged me out to another room. This is where they had atleast 7-8 other singhs tied up with chains and roped to different corners. Some of them were being given electric shocks, others were being put on the pataa (an electric motorised machine which has leather flaps tied to it and it revolves and hits you very hard ripping apart the skin.

I was thrown on the floor and two of them holded my hands and two legs. Then they brought a wooden plank and put it on my thighs. Two very heavy policemen stood on both sides and started moving it like a see-saw. During all the time they kept abusing me in filthy language, saying abusive words about Guru Sahib, about amritdharis. For these two days I was not even once asked or told why I was in this place. After having endured all this pain, the next part was electic shocks. They started with ears and then went on to give shock on other parts of the body till I passed out. Every time they moved me from one location to other, they used to drag me by either hairs or beard. We didn’t had any food or water for all these days.

Then on fourth day I was told “Chal teri peshi hai saahab de kol” (Come it’s you appearance in-front of the Sahib). I was passed through a number of courtyards and taken to an open area which was paved with rough stone slabs. The scene there was unbearable to watch. They had drums full of human excretion filled with urine and toilet. Singhs were thrown on the floor and the choora will throw the drum full of the dirt on the singh. Then two of them will hold the legs or arms and drag from one side to the other on that rough concrete floor. Amazingly while this was done singhs were still shouting jaikaare and doing naam abhyaas loudly. Others who had not done abhyaas before in life were unable to bear the pain and were screaming in pain. When all of this was done I was thrown on one corner. Then someone came later and put 2-3 buckets of ice cold water on me to remove the dirt. The water was so cold it will give more pain on the fresh wounds. But by that time my body was getting used to this daily torture and I wan’t feeling anything.

Then I was taken to the room where the darbar of Sumedh Saini was in progress. My turn came and saini asked me, “Fer akal aayi ke nahin tenu” (So are you back to senses?). I asked him about what? He said “Tu vadda khalistani banya firda hain.” I said when did I said anything about khalistaan. He shouted back with abuses and said “Tu jehde apne kanjraan nu Milan gaya si jail vich”. Then I realised why I was there. Few weeks back Jatha singhs had organised a visit to the jails to supply the singhs arrested with warm clothes and blankets. I was among the singhs who was given this seva. We were denied meeting with any prisoners but as I had to sign the register before entering the prison with Name and Address, they must have used it to track who is trying to look after the singhs in prisons. I told him I just went there as a humble sikh of Guru Sahib. As soon as I said Guru sahib he started shouting abuses and using filthy language about Dashmesh pita. Then told me in the end “Jaake keh daeen apne yaraan nu ki din thode hi han, kale kale nu ethe leaake maaroonga, paani mangan joge vi nahin rehne.” (Go and tell your friends that I will bring them all here one by one and kill them in a way they won’t even ask for water). Then he ordered his men to take me away and do sewa (torture) for few more days before disposing me. The next two days were the repeat of what had happened in last 5 days. On the 7th day I was told that Saini is willing to release me if I can give him the names of kharku singhs. I refused saying that I don’t know any kharkus and I am a central government employee and he will have to release me one day. I don’t know what happened next as he went away. I was taken in a dark room and they tied black cloth on my eyes and covered the face with a rucksack. I was driven out of the place and thrown in a field. Only words I heard after that were “Oye order taan tenu maaran da hoya hai par teri chitti daarhi dekhke pata nahin kyon taras aa gaya menu, jaa bhajj jaa” (Oye order is to kill you but looking at your white beard I feel mercy for you.) I was left in the field in the dark with my hands tied to my back. I somehow managed to drag to a tubewell and stayed there all night without any clothes and next morning I was picked up by the farm owner who helped me get out of there.”
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Kal kaati Raaje Kasai
March 16, 2012 11:26AM
Your story is very painful and it really hurts while reading it. Thanks for sharing.

This seems an incredible tale of torture today but in those days this was a common occurrence for Sikhs in Punjab. So many atrocities were committed and blatant human rights violations were done.

Kulbir Singh
March 16, 2012 01:30PM
Vaheguru!!!!!

Maaf karna jee, but if there was anything to post about, this was it! Huge thanks for this.

Vaheguroo!!!
March 16, 2012 01:48PM
It was sad reading this.

This reminds me of the stories of demons such as Harnaakash, Mahikasur, Sumbh etc. It’s like a demon (harnaakash) with bad intellect is born from bad karma, but in order to get rid of the demon, a good person (prahlaad) is born so that the demon’s bad intellect is hurt by this and responds by hurting the good person so that this gives Vaheguru (narsingh) the chance to destroy it.

Soon, these people will be punished for what they did and are doing now. The ego and bad karma of India is piling up more and more and so will the punishment become greater and catastrophic for the whole of India.

ਦੁਰਜਨ ਦਲ ਦੰਡਣ ਅਸੁਰ ਬਿਹੰਡਣ ਦੁਸਟ ਨਿਕੰਦਿਣ ਆਦਿ ਬ੍ਰਿਤੇ ॥
Thy Nature from the very beginning is to punish the multitudes of vicious people, to destroy the demons and to uproot the tyrants.
Vaheguroo.

Thank you for sharing this account of what happened with your pita jee. Every time any Gursikh is tortured, the pain is felt by every Gursikh. By reading this story I felt as if they were doing these tortures to me, not just your pita jee. I am kurbaan to such gurmukhs that even in such horrific circumstances were doing naam abhiyaas and shouting jaikaray!

Stories should be shared, and immortalized, so that we never forget what we have gone through. We will get justice.

ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵਡੀ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਨਿਆਉ ਹੈ ਧਰਮ ਕਾ ॥

Preetam Singh
Vaaheguroo jee!!!

Jatinderpal Singh
March 16, 2012 06:08PM
Vahegurooo!!

The experiences that you, your family, and your father had to go through can never be forgotten by the Sikhs who feel the pain of the torture that our Singhs and Singhneeaa had to go through during that time. Not being born around that time, and having to listen to my own father tell me the similar incidents that took place back in Delhi during that time really shakes you from within. Please don't think that there is no point in posting what you posted. We really need these personal accounts to come out because they keep reminding us of what our Singhs and Singhneeaa have gone through, and we really really need it.

And as Preetam Singh Veerjee said, we truly are kurbaan to such Gursikhs who never compromised their Sikhee even in such situations. If not now, but just a hope, that someday justice will be served. These criminals will be punished for torturing Guroo Saahib Jee's gursikhs...
ਪਉੜੀ ॥
ਹਰਿ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਭਰਪੂਰਿ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਹਿ ਕੋਇ ॥
ਹਰਿ ਆਪਿ ਬਹਿ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਆਉ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ਸਭ ਮਾਰਿ ਕਢੋਇ ॥
ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਦੇਇ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਹਰਿ ਧਰਮ ਨਿਆਉ ਕੀਓਇ ॥
ਸਭ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਕਰਹੁ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਗਰੀਬ ਅਨਾਥ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੀਓਇ ॥
ਜੈਕਾਰੁ ਕੀਓ ਧਰਮੀਆ ਕਾ ਪਾਪੀ ਕਉ ਡੰਡੁ ਦੀਓਇ ॥੧੬॥
------

thank you for sharing your hadh-beethee, veer jee... ਅਖਾੰ ਖੁਲ ਗੲੀਅਾੰ ਹਨ
Vaheguroo ji!
March 16, 2012 06:56PM
These Dushts will all suffer for their actions. Dhan are those Gursikhs that take this torture but still remain true to their Sikhi.

ਦੂਤ ਦੁਸਮਨ ਸਭਿ ਤੁਝ ਤੇ ਨਿਵਰਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪੁ ਤੁਮਾਰਾ ॥
ਜੋ ਜੋ ਤੇਰੇ ਭਗਤ ਦੁਖਾਏ ਓਹੁ ਤਤਕਾਲ ਤੁਮ ਮਾਰਾ ॥੧ ॥

All demons and enemies are eradicated by You, Lord; Your glory is manifest and radiant.
Whoever harms Your devotees, You destroy in an instant. ||1||
March 16, 2012 08:47PM
Bhai Akaal Jio,

Thank you for sharing your father’s experience of torture committed by butcher’s of Punjab police. Many Jatha Singhs had to go thru same fate during that period of hard time on Sikhs. Your Father’s story is similar to the one experienced by another innocent Singh jee. This Singh jee who was young then was picked up by Punjab Police when he was on his way home. He was picked up merely on suspicious basis and this Singh jee’s family had to pass through same situation as yours. Our area Singhs and family tried the best to find out about this Singh, they utilized every source they could to find out at least where he is taken away but were unsuccessful. They tried to get the help of political leaders of the area but situation was still unknown. Finally there was reputable MLA who took this case very seriously and tried his best with the CM of that time (not Beanta). After seeing no progress for getting the information for weeks Singhs decided to take sharan of Guru Sahib jee to know where this Singh Jee is. They started Sri Akhand Paath Sahib and immediately after the Bhog di Ardaas news came that Singh Jee is in secret torture cell of mass murderer DGP of that time somewhere near Ludhiana for weeks and he is unconscious at the moment.

Finally, Guru Sahib did kirpa and thru the help of that MLA, Singh jee made home but body was brutally tortured. This Singh jee said he was unconscious for days and stayed in Naam Abhiyaas as much as possible. This was myth in Punjab police that the Singhs who daas Ghoo(n) Ghoo(n) and do not open their mouth even after extreme torture that means he is a one of the top Khaarkoo Singh and they continue the torture to get the info, so they continued that trial on him. After coming home he said during the torture when he was unconscious some how he heard the order was given to kill him in fake encounter next morning in the fields nearby but the police party who was given this job to do they could not wake up early in the morning due to intoxicated with alcohol and in the mean time a call came in from somewhere which he believed was from their high command to release him immediately.

Anyway, these true stories are part of Sikh history and should be told to new generations. These accounts tell how Sikhs suffered in recent time in similar fashion of centuries ago. As your father jee pointed out that “Others who had not done abhyaas before in life were unable to bear the pain and were screaming in pain.” This clearly shows the power of Naam Drrirta that how it helps during difficult times and how important it is for a Gursikh to do Naam Abhiyaas regularly.

ਬਿਖੜੇ ਦਾਉ ਲੰਘਾਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜ ਸੇਤੀ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਤੇ ॥੩॥

Daas salutes to all Singh Singhnia who contributed to Chardi Kala of Panth. Many of those who never made home will be remebered thrugh our daily Ardaas. May Guru Sahib enable this Daas to qualify for their charan dhoori.

In the hope of better days for Sikh Nation,

Daas,
Jasjit Singh
March 16, 2012 08:47PM
Vaheguroooo
Veerjee, I also believe that you have done a good thing by sharing this story. Our community starts to forget and fall back into laziness and cowardice when there is no one to remind us of what our Gursikh brothers and sisters went through. Let us never forget, and continue to build our jeevans so that we will never be powerfuless before these dusths again.
At my workplace, there is a new employee from Delhi who has come to Canada on student visa. Whenever he is asked about the Delhi pogroms of 1984, he tries to brush the topic off, saying it was the past, we should forget about it. But when he is presented with facts about all those thousands of innocent Sikhs that were wrongfully butchered, he is left speechless and admits it can not be forgotten.

Coming back to the topic, I don't think it is justified to just "forget about" what has happened. These are dreadful, terryfying stories carried out by the descendents of those same people for whom many Gursikhs did Kurbaanis and helped tremendously in the freedom struggle against the British Raj.

Humbly,
Jaspreet Singh
March 17, 2012 04:10PM
I had goosebumps reading the first post. It seems like the Indian Government was on par with the Nazis. Disgusting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login