ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Faith and medications

Posted by Manmander Singh 
Faith and medications
February 16, 2012 01:15PM
Wahegurrooojeekaakhalsa Wahegurroojeekeefateh

The following question is from Bhai Kulbir Singh jees write up on Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir

What is sangats view on medications and or vaccinations...

Gursikhs like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir and many others had total vishwaas in Guru Sahib and Naam, but those who are not at that level of Sikhi, should they take medications or not?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Faith and medications
February 17, 2012 06:56PM
In gurmat there is no ban against using medications and regardless of what medications a Gursikh uses it does not go against bibek rehit. This being said, it is the personal sharda and choice of an individual if they wish to stop the use of medications and rely solely on naam avkhaad to heal their illnesses. The philosophy of sarb rog ka aukhad naam does not rely on a Gursikh giving up the use of medications either, Gursikh's should always have their sharda only in Guroo Sahib to heal them but can use medications at the same time according to their own sharda.

There are many instances where Gursikhs have given up the use of medications and been fully healed through naam and bani, but there are also instances where while using medications Gursikh's have realized that only naam will actually rid them of the karamic debt that has given them the sickness and while japping naam have been cured.

It is important to fully understand why we get illnesses and then we can move on to the part of begging Guroo Sahib to heal us. Guroo Sahib tells us that the reason for all pain is forgetting Vaheguroo jee,"parmeshar te bhuliya viyaapan sabe rog" so logically by remember Vaheguroo jee we will be completely healed. There is no hukam to stop using medications but it doesn't make sense to keep using them because Guroo Sahib has already said,"sarb rog ka aukhad naam" so why would we keep using other medications when we already have the highest medicine of all?

No matter how many medications we use, only by japping naam will we ever truly be free from the pain of diseases. Until the wall of bharam is not destroyed with arrows of naam diseases will keep coming and pain will never depart.

Preetam Singh
February 17, 2012 08:59PM
"Diseases" and "allergies" "infections" are all just simply the fruits of the actions committed in the previous janams. In order to totally get rid of such Karams, one needs to engage in rigurous Naam Abyaas and do Sangat of Gursikhs.
February 18, 2012 12:49PM
I think Manmandar veerji, you have touched upon a important issue, if gurbani says sarab rog ka aukhad naam, then i suppose worldy illnesses are included,but like you rightly said, it comes down to faith.

What would gursikhs do if medication they take, say for instance antibiotics, contain animal products, is that considered peshi?
February 18, 2012 01:52PM
Karanveer Singh jeeo,

It is not against Gurmat to take medications, and it is understood by bibekis that even if someone has to take medication that contains animal products it does not warrant a peshi.

At the same time, it is important to remember that we do not need to take medications and that Gurbani and naam cure all diseases. It is all about how much sharda we have. If we take the example of Sardar Lehna Singh jee we see that they did not even accept that they were ill and would keep conducting their business as if nothing had happened. So it all comes down to how much sharda you have to see how far you would like to take it.

Rest Guroo Sahib knows what is right and what is wrong. If I have said anything wrong muaaf karna jee.

Preetam Singh
February 19, 2012 12:15PM
Bhai Preetam Singh jeeo,

Thank you for clarifying.

How do we build our sharda in Guroo Mahraaj?
February 21, 2012 08:53PM
If we are suffering and on the verge of death, but Guru Sahib has promised that naam will heal us, then we should hold onto that belief even when we have japped naam with everything we have and are STILL on the verge of death. It doesn't matter if it doesn't seem like its working. Why would Guru Sahib fool us with his own bachans? Guru sahib never lies. I don't know how to advise on how to build this sharda but what's the point of trying to build it? If we have to try to find a way to build this sharda isn't that a bharam in itself, do we really have to reach a certain stage in our spirituality for Guru Sahib's words to apply to us? We don't have to build sharda to believe the sky is blue from looking at it. We just do.

If we really want Guru Sahib, then we have to take a leap of faith and become totally unreasonable and even fanatical in our faith. I still remember how much of a painful process it was in the beginning stages, to try to close my mind to my doubts and give myself up to something that I did not have much faith in. Guru Sahib is absolutely so kind. The more we force ourselves to close our minds to doubt, the more Guru Sahib helps us have true sharda, even if we have to fool purselves in the beginning.

I am sorry if I said anything that came across as offensive. I really don't know anything at all. But the Gursikhs who have suffered and continued to suffer pain and injustice, and STILL keep sharda in Guru Sahib are simply too humble to share their experiences. I can say, however, that I have seen with my own eyes that Guru Sahib never ever ever lets down those who have sharda.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login