ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir

Posted by Manmander Singh 
Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir
February 15, 2012 04:05AM
Wahegurrooojeekaakhalsa Wahegurrooojeekeefateh

Does anyone have a picture and more information on Bhai Ragbhir Singh Bir?

Thank you in advance

smiling smiley
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Bhai Raghbir Singh Bir
February 16, 2012 08:16AM
I believe he is the author of bandaginama, a book I would recommend
February 16, 2012 08:21AM
Yes, I am aware they have written many books, which one of them is Bandginama. A definite must read!

I was looking for a picture and more information about them. smiling smiley
February 16, 2012 09:07AM
Sardar Raghbir Singh Bir was a Sikh businessman who used to live in Calcutta (Bengal). His family was originally from Lahore and his father Sardar Lehna Singh also was a very good Gurmukh. At first Bir jee got interested in Sikhi and he wrote the famous book Bandaginama on his spiritual experiences. In this book he writes that he used to dye and tie his beard, even though he knew it was a wrong practice. He did so at the order of his father who was not a religious person at that time.

Later on, when his father Sardar Lehna Singh got infected with many diseases including arthritis, he took up Sikhi to cure himself. He did so much Abhyaas of Gurbani and Naam that within a very short period he became perfectly healthy. Till his last breath, at the age of 85, he maintained the body of a 25 years old youth. He wrote a wonderful book on his experiences and is called Gurmukh Jeevan. He was a fanatic as far as not using worldly medicine is concerned. He considered himself as pure Atma and conducted his business as such. Once, he hurt his foot and he did all things opposite to what doctor suggested. He did not tie his foot with a bandage and deliberately exposed it to water (as opposed to doctor's advice) and still got healed. First of all he never got sick but if he ever did, he used to conduct his business as usual and ate normal as well. He totally used to reject the notion of disease because he believed that a disease cannot occur to Atma.

Once, Bir jee and Sardar jee (Lehna Singh jee) started talking about the Atma saroop of the Jeev. Bir jee questioned that if we were truly Atma, then why was there a need to sleep. At this Sardar jee agreed and then proved it by not sleeping for many days, and still not feeling any tiredness or fatigue. He used to do his regular work all day, and at night would come to the bedside of his son and all night do Naam Abhyaas.

Once a thought came to his mind that why should he use the mosquito net for protection from mosquitoes. He argued that the mosquitoes contained the same Parmatma Vaheguru as all of us and as such they should not bite him and hurt him. So he removed the net and also removed his shirt and slept with kachera only. The next morning his body was so badly bitten by the mosquitoes that there was not a part on his body that was unhurt. Sardar jee laughed it off saying that the reason why mosquitoes had hurt him was that he had some hidden hatred and negative feeling for them. Then he did Naam Abhyaas all day and kept affirming again and again that the mosquitoes were a roop of Vaheguru and that Vaheguru jee could not hurt him. Within couple of days, the mosquitoes stopped biting him at all and then all his life he never slept with mosquito net and he never got hurt by mosquitoes.

Sardar Raghbir Singh Bir wrote some excellent books which include the following titles:

Sarb Rog ka Aukhand Naam - This books talks about curing oneself through Naam and Gurbani.
Chardi Kala - This book contains chosen articles that bring Chardi Kala to one's life.
Safal Jeevan - This books talks about how to have a successful live - both worldly and spiritual.
Ramzi Kahaniyaan - This book contains some fictitious stories that are full of spirituality and spiritual secrets. A must read for serious seekers.
Ardaas Shakti - This book talks about the concept of Ardaas in Sikhi and how to do such an Ardaas that gets heard by Vaheguru jee.

Bir jee writes of his experience after stopping to dye and tie his beard. He writes how he started getting treated differently everywhere he went. If he would be standing in a queue, he would get moved to the top because of his appearance etc.

It is a good idea to read his books.

Kulbir Singh
February 16, 2012 01:09PM
Thank you jee - now that is what we call faith in Guru Sahib and Naam!
February 16, 2012 01:31PM
Any idea where I can get his books in India (especiall in Delhi)

Daas
February 16, 2012 01:51PM
Please click >> Bandginama

Website to order from >> India
April 28, 2012 03:22PM
I brought a couple of Bhai Sahib's books today- simran mehima and ardaas shakti. Can't wait to read them when my exams are over!

This is the photo on the back of his books:
April 29, 2012 10:55AM
Bhai TSingh jeeo,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Just out of interest where did you purchase the books?

Getting hold of good Gurmat literature such as books of bhai Randhir Singh ji, bhai Vir Singh ji and bhai Raghbir Singh ji overseas is very difficult. In UK we have only 2 shops that I know of and they have very limited amount of books. Also I have noticed that Sikhs in general do not really read Gurmat books which is very detrimental to the Sikh Panth. It is lack of knowledge in regards to Gurmat - Rehit, Gurbani Viakaran, Shudh Ucharan etc that is causing problems in the panth.

We need to create a culture of reading within the Panth, I feel this is very important. The benefit of reading books os that it will increase your knowledge and understanding of Gurmat and increase skills and vocabulary in Punjabi language - this is very important for Sikh youth.
April 30, 2012 09:39AM
Gupt1 Jee,
I brought them from Sikh Missionary Society Southall. There are many great books there.
Which are the 2 shops you were referring to? I would love to try and pop in if they are local or if I'm ever near them.
April 30, 2012 10:31AM
TSingh ji,

I was actually referring to the shop you mentioned and DTF books in Birmingham. I have only visited DTF books but not Sikh Missionary. Does Sikh Missionary have bhai Randhir Singh ji's books and bhai Joginder Singh Talwara ji's books? I just assumed that Sikh missionary would be similar to DTF books. DTF had only 3 punjabi books of bhai Randhir Singh ji, daas purchased 2 of them - Jot Vigaas and Gurmat Parkash. I Also purchased the 3 books of Subedar Baghel Singh ji that they had.

Nevertheless, we need a bookstore that has a comprehensive collection of books from each author, unfortunately DTF has only few books from each author, I guess there is not enough interest/hunger for these books.

To purchase books of bhai Randhir Singh ji I guess I will have to go to Punjab, what is the best place in Punjab to purchase bhai sahibs books?

Maybe Singh Brothers?
April 30, 2012 11:09AM
Gupt1 Ji,
I am not entirely sure, as I actually went to buy something else and saw Raghbir Singh Bir's books on the shelf so picked them up too. I am not sure how many books there are of Bhai Randhir Singh/ Talwara ji at Sikh Missionary Society, I'm pretty sure they have some though. I know they had Bhai Rama Singh's autobiography.
Next time I go in I'll make sure to look properly as I was slightly rushed last time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login