ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Karamaati Jeevan of Dr Surinder Singh jee

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Dr Sahib was the son of Ranglay Sajjan - Bhai Sahib Hira Harbachan Singh jee - who was a very close companion of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. Bhai Sahib Hira Harbachan Singh jee was a Brahmgyani Gurmukh and his wife Mata Tej Kaur was similarly a Gurmukh of his spiritual state. Many children were born to them but they died very young, mostly as soon as they took Amrit. Bhai Sahib and other Gurmukhs knew that these children who were born into their home were actually great Bhagats of olden Yugs who had massive Bhagti of Kirtam Naam. They were taking birth just to place the stamp of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee on their Bhagti. This is why, as soon as they took Amrit, they passed away. Basically, there was no need for them to stay in this transcient world. They left this temporary and false world to be in Sachkhand.

After many children of this Gurmukh couple died early, Mata jee did Ardaas for the survival their child. Dr Surinder Singh jee was born in 1926 and did survive and had a long life. Dr Sahib's parents went to Sachkhand when he was a child. Dr. Sahib was raised as not a believer. Later on Dr Sahib became a Jyot-Vigaasi Singh, a Karamaati Singh.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Dr Surinder Singh and Bhai Fauja Singh

Once Bhai Fauja Singh jee organized a Siri Akhand Paath Sahib at Khalsa Farm (his farm) and many Gurmukhs including Dr. Surinder Singh jee attended this Samagam. Most of the time, Dr Sahib sat in the hazoori of Maharaj and listened to paath. At one point, Dr. Sahib stepped out and Bhai Fauja Singh too followed him and asked him to eat some Langar. Dr. Sahib told Bhai Fauja Singh that he is going out and would be back in about half an hour or so.

In Ludhiana at that time a Singh by the name of Bhai Gurdeep Singh was residing. His son had recently died and he was in a very depressed condition. Bhai Gurdeep Singh was close to Dr. Sahib and Dr. Sahib was able to feel his mental condition. There was no time to reach him the conventional way, so Dr Sahib arrived at the house of Bhai Gurdeep Singh, the other way (spiritual way). Dr Sahib advised Bhai Gurdeep Singh to do Gurbani paath and not be depressed this way. He said that Singhs don’t get depressed when they lose their worldly possessions and always stay in Chardi Kala through Naam and Gurbani paath. Dr Sahib stayed there for about half hour or so and then got up to leave. Bhai Gurdeep Singh went to see off Dr Sahib and for a moment he looked back and then looked outside towards Dr Sahib but he could not find him anywhere.

After some days he met Bhai Fauja Singh and narrated to him the incident of Dr Sahib’s arrival. Bhai Fauja Singh asked him for the date and was surprised to know that on that date, Dr Sahib was attending Akhand Paath Sahib. He then remembered that he had stepped out for half an hour or so. Then they figured out that Dr Sahib had gone to console Bhai Gurdeep Singh who was in an extremely dejected and depressed state of mind. Such was the spiritual state of Dr Sahib.

As narrated by Gurmukh Pyare from Siri Anandpur Sahib.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Vaheguroo

Dr Sahib On Left

Shaheed Bhai Avtar Singh jee and Dr Surinder Singh

Once at Ludhiana Samagam, Dr Sahib requested Bhai Avtar Singh to eat food prepared by him at such and such place. This was morning time of the day when Ran Subaayee was to occur at night. Bhai Avtar Singh jee said that he would eat langar prepared at the Samagam but Dr Sahib insisted on his request. Bhai Avtar Singh jee promised to come shortly but later on forgot about it. At night Ran Subaayee started and it was towards the end of Ran Subaayee that Bhai Avtar Singh remembered that he had promised to eat parshaada prepared by Dr Sahib.

He rushed to the place where Dr Sahib had asked him to come. When he reached there, he found that Dr Sahib was sitting in Samadhi and food that he had prepared was lying in front of him covered with by a piece of cloth. Bhai Sahib was filled with Bairaag and Dr Sahib too very lovingly served food to Bhai Sahib.

When Bhai Avtar Singh was done eating and was about to leave, Dr Sahib came out to see him off. At that point, Dr Sahib’s eyes were filled with tears and he went forward and hugged Bhai Sahib. Then he revealed that, both of them had separated from river Sirsa and after that incident, they met now, after so many hundred years. By river Sirsa separation he meant that both of them were with Guru Sahib during the Siri Anandpur Sahib battles.

Bhai Avtar Singh’s personality, style, talk and behaviour resembled Puratan Singhs of 1700s. His talk was very influential and affective. He was very strict in Khalsa Rehit including Sarbloh Bibek.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

The above incident as written above was narrated to this Daas by Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh jee Shatrana, who currently is residing at Siri Anandpur Sahib and what Bhai Sahib Shatrana jee narrated to me was based on his hearing this Saakhi directly from Bhai Sahib Avtar Singh jee.
This storys always stuck out with me about bhai sahib

The Divine Milk in Sarbloh

Bhai Sahib spread a mat and asked me to sit down. I sat crossed legged with my hands folded together. For such a long time Bhai Sahib boiled milk in a Sarbloh bata and played in Vahiguru’s divine colours. For over an hour his consciousness was completely absorbed. I was bound by his order to sit but was getting anxious to go home because I was tired from pulling a rickshaw all day.

When a big bata of milk was brought to me, I began to drink and right away I began to be coloured in naam. Some divine colour came over me. My simran began to go automatically. My body began to feel like it was flying. My eyes filled with tears of vairaag and I was losing consciousness. After some time when I regained awareness, Bhai Sahib put a bata of kheer in front of me. As soon as I had eaten this, I completely lost consciousness and had no awareness of where I was.

Walking to Gurdwara

Dr. Sahib’s nephew, Gurjaspal Singh tells that when Dr. Sahib used to live in Kurali, he used to walk to Chamkaur Sahib and Bhatha Sahib Gurdwaras. One day Gurjaspal Singh said, Uncle, it is no longer olden times. Buses are very common. Why don’t you take the bus? Dr. Sahib replied, When going to the Guru’s sharan, it is better to go by foot. Guru Sahib’s blessings can be obtained this way and your haazree is accepted.

Original from soora magazine and translated by tapoban.org admin
i don't think enough has be added about Bhai Sahib Jee, please do add. I was thinking of Dr Sahib jee today and came across the following information. The electric waves of Naam!

Dr.Sahib was such a Gupt Singh, he would never do simran or paath infront of anyone (one must note Bhai Sahib was doing Simran all the time gupt).Dr.sahib never lived at one place he always stayed at his close friends houses. sometimes in chandigarh sometimes ludhiana and sometimes amritsar. So one day as he was staying at his friends house in chandigarh the bibijee from there was cleaning the washroom at about 12 o'clock midnight, so when Dr. Sahib wakes up he can have his ishnaan in comfort as she came out she saw Dr. Sahib on his bed sitting there quietly with closed eyes and crossed legs. That was how Dr. Sahib used to sit there every morning for hours, that was how he used to do his amritvela. So as i said he was a very very gupt singh, so one bibijee once asked him "we never heard you do simran dr sahib, please lets do some simran together". So with that benti Dr. Sahib started to do simran and he went "VAH"! and thats it he went into samadi, after 3 days he came back from that samadi. Another very interesting thing about Dr. Sahib was that he knew everything beforehand. He always used to say that there will be a big massacre with sikhs but i won't see it. which was true Dr. Sahib passed 1 or 2 years before "Blue Star".

---------

he would have simple clothes, and would tie his bata and maybe one or two other utensils to his back using a rope if i remember correctly. in this way, he would travel, veparvah, on his bicyle here and there.

many times, if singhs could not locate him or find out about his whereabouts from others, they would head to darbaar sahib where he would invariably always be, sitting in the parkarma listening to keertan etc.

when bhai jasveer singh started soora magazine (which he edited), dr jee disagreed with him strongly because apparently he felt that this was taking jatha into a new direction, of a more political nature. as a result, bhai jasveer singh felt that they seemed to lose something of their close relationship - bhai sahib said that sometimes it would seem as though dr jee ignored him from that day onwards.

however, then bhai sahib became very ill. dr jee dropped all his responsibilities and attended to bhai sahib, remaining devoted at his bed-side, wiping his face with a flannel, administering medicine until he was better. he only left his side once bhai sahib was better.

when dr jee became unwell, and his last days were nearing, he arrived at bhai sahib's house. he slept there and stayed there. he had brought a new set of clothes with him (i.e. the ones he would be dressed with at his antam sanskaar) - he hadn't wanted to put anyone out. his sister did not know that he was there or nearing his mortal end. it was bhai sahib who called his sister and informed her of the situation.

From Bhai Atma Singh Jee & Vaheguroo Blog
Vaah jee Vaah!!
For those gursikh brothers, who worry so much about the disrespect being committed in their speeches or statements for Guru Sahib by fake Saadhs or other sects, he had a message. "You yourself; learn the respect, first."

For those of us, who used to sit and clean the Sarabloh utensils in Langar, he had the message, smilingly, that he knows, why they are doing that.

He told that he always takes the ticket when he travels in a train, though he is never checked or asked to show it by the ticket examiner, because he was dressed as Nihang Singh.
we need singhs like this today
I am sure there must be more SAKHIs related to DR sahib , can you gursikhs pls get some more KHAZANAA for us (Moorakhs).

BAHUT KIRPA KARDE HO PAYRAEYO !!

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
it would be amazing to hear Keertan seva done by such soul...

Chota veer
Some more random memories about Dr Sahib are as below.

Dr Sahib used to prescribe the herbo-mineral drugs prepared by a company named J & J Dechane, Hydrabad, India. Here is the link to that company. These products are still popular with some singhs.
[www.dechane.com]

He was also very much convinced with the nutritional or medicinal benefits of Amla (Phyllanthus emblica) and used to recommend it.

Always dressed in light colored cotton fabric cloths (Khadi); he seemed to have his own definite choice of dress. I do not remember to ever see him in blue or white kurta.

His dastaar was of cotton fabric, too, I think. A light pale yellow sometimes.
vahiguroo....write more MB Singh jeo....

Chota veer
[www.tapoban.org]

Dr. Surinder Singh jee was an amazing Gursikh from the times of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. More about his life can be found in the Inspirational Stories section and also in previous posts.

Effect of Meeting a Gursikh: Dr. Surinder Singh jee
By Sd. Preetam Singh in Sooraa, June 1984

Dr. Surinder Singh jee must now be in Vahiguru jee’s feet, absorbed in naam and basking in the divine colours but I can never forget the twenty years of love he gave me. He spoke very little. He was always coloured in naam and vairaag and in Gurmat Smaagams, he would always be sitting apart, lost in naam.

My First Meeting

20 years have passed now. It was 10 at night and it was winter. It was very cold and in those days I pulled a rickshaw to support my family. Bhai Sahib (Dr. Sahib) in this bitter cold was dressed only in a simple chola. He was wearing no pyjama and on his feet he had a regular shoes. His face was glowing with naam. He was already handsome because of his light complexion and because of the naam his face was reflecting, I was drawn to meet him. Blessed are Guru Gobind Singh jee’s Singhs who do not feel cold even in the dead of winter.

I was returning home but I was drawn to this person. I began to take my rickshaw behind him. I did not have the courage to speak to him but I had a deep desire to serve him by carrying him in my rickshaw and take him to where he was going. After some time, Bhai Sahib’s glance fell on me and Vahiguru jee gave me the strength to utter “Vahiguru jee kaa Khalsa, Vahiguru jee kee fateh!”

Bhai Sahib, slowly in a sweet voice, answered my Fateh and came to stand by my rickshaw. I humbly requested, “Bhai Sahib jee, let me take you on my rickshaw to where you want to go. Where are you going? I feel like doing your seva.”

Bhai Sahib did not reply and after silently standing for two minutes, he got on the rickshaw. Bhai Sahib was going from the Jagraon bridge to Bharat Nagar Chownk. After Bhai Sahib had gotten on, I did not have the courage to ask where he was going because Bhai Sahib was lost in the deep colours of naam. I gathered my courage and began to take the rickshaw to Bharat Nagar Chownk. I had just gotten to the Chownk when Bhai Sahib told me to go to a home behind the New Model Town Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib. In those days, Bibi Mahinder Kaur used to live in this house.

I arrived in front of the house and then Bhai Sahib motioned for me to come with him inside. I was astonished and began to follow him. There was a water hand-pump beside the door. Bhai Sahib began to pump and had me do a punj-ishnana and with his hands, motioned for me to accompany him in. I put the rickshaw near the hand-pump. Bhai Sahib went straight to the kitchen.

The Divine Milk in Sarbloh

Bhai Sahib spread a mat and asked me to sit down. I sat crossed legged with my hands folded together. For such a long time Bhai Sahib boiled milk in a Sarbloh bata and played in Vahiguru’s divine colours. For over an hour his consciousness was completely absorbed. I was bound by his order to sit but was getting anxious to go home because I was tired from pulling a rickshaw all day.

When a big bata of milk was brought to me, I began to drink and right away I began to be coloured in naam. Some divine colour came over me. My simran began to go automatically. My body began to feel like it was flying. My eyes filled with tears of vairaag and I was losing consciousness. After some time when I regained awareness, Bhai Sahib put a bata of kheer in front of me. As soon as I had eaten this, I completely lost consciousness and had no awareness of where I was.

Bibi Mahinder Kaur’s Pain

When I became conscious again after some time, I found that Bibi Mahinder Kaur, the person who was in the house, was feeling pain in her stomach. She could not bear the pain. Bhai Sahib knew about medicine and he gave her some medicines but none brought her peace.

I had an idea and remembered how Bhai Sahib before giving me the milk and kheer had gazed into the milk for such a long time and as a result, it was also coloured in divine colours. I took some water and after gazing into it while doing sirman, gave it to Bibi jee and she felt better.

Bhai Sahib Asked, “Why did you do that??”

Bibi jee felt better but the feeling of divine colours left me. Bhai Sahib saw how sad I was and asked, “Why did you do that?” I felt upset over my mistake and began to cry, which would not stop. Bhai Sahib took my hand and kept doing simran beside me. It was now three in the morning. Again, I was taken by the divine colours and Bhai Sahib told me to accept bhaaNaa (God’s will) in the future.

Bhai Sahib gave me five rupees and a lot of sarbloh utensils. I told him that I could not afford to use desi ghee but he said to use saro(n) da tael instead.

Getting Peshed with My Family

With Bhai Sahib’s encouragement, I gave up pulling a rickshaw and took a job at the post office as a guard. From there I became a packer, then a postman then a clerk and today I have received a promotion to Under-Postmaster. My memories of Bhai Sahib have been refreshed today and so I wrote some lines.

With Dr. Sahib’s support, my wife and children began to wear the Khalsa’s BaaNa and seeing this, Baoo Mul Singh jee was very happy. He blessed us and had us appear before the punj pyaaray and we became tyaar-bar-tyaar. I am forever bowing my head before Gursikhs like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, respected Baoo Mul Singh jee, Dr. Surinder Singh and other high Gursikh souls in Sachkhand and beg, “Daeho sajjan aseesReeaa(n) jio hovai sahib sio(n) mael”
MB Singh,

Seems like u have met or seen Dr. Surinder Singh. Would be nice if you could share any other memories of him.
smiling smiley
MB Singh Ji,

Pls share more of his NITNAME , Rehats you know of ?

Also heard that he did say some words abt 1984 early enough. ANyone exactly knows ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Gusewak, Singh and Chatrick Veer Ji; you have expected me to write more; so I have to work more. Kindly, give me the time and I may come up with some information from his loved gursikh friends. But, please do not give emphasis on KARAMATI aspects.

After his demise, an article in SURA was published on his life. If somebody has access to that, it should be brought online?

Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji.
MB Singh ji - No doubts these Karaaamaats were not big deal for these Gurmukhs. If you can share more abt their REHATs/NITNAMEs/REHNI Behni and how they so well kept NIRLEP from the MAYA (Sansaar).

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Veer Gursewak Singh Ji; I will not be able to write about the subjects you asked me. I have neither the information nor the avastha for that. Please forgive me for that.

Yes, I see his bike very attractive, as a young boy. He was on his simple, yet modern look racing bike. That was never the traditional bike, with all that big carrier, big seat and big bell, of the brands like Atlas or Hero. A simple, no accessories,short sized, convenient racing bike. Every young boy or girl wanted to ride that for a short sweet ride (JHUTTA). And I remember, when a young naughty girl child rode away on his bike, without asking for his permission. He was annoyed with that child. The bibi is not a happy one in her life.------------------ Waheguru.

Dr Sahib took very interest in the young children in the family he visited. And he blessed them with Gurmat tips. My singhni tells me that he made them know that they do not wear additional cloth piece in their KES to make their Dastaar look bigger one. And once a girl friend of her untied & tied her Dastaar in front of Dr Sahib, to make it sure to him, that she has long hair on her head and it was not the extra piece of cloth in her hair. He loved the young children. And once a bibi, when she saw Dr Sahib coming, immediately put off her gold bangles. Dr Sahib was respected and loved.

And so simple were his requirements that he never liked to do any inconvenience to the family he visited. My singhni's mother knew that Dr Sahib likes the AMLA ACHHAAR (pickle). So, it was always there in the house. He was ready to eat PARSHADA with the pickle only. No need to prepare DAAL SABZI.

Yes; Albo Sang, Sal Phos, Diacil of J &v J De Chane are the house hold names in the families, he used to visit.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji. Baaki Phir Kade Ji.
Bhai MB Singh jeeo,

Request you write more. We are not yet satisfied with just this haha! Hor likho jee.

What was his nitnem/rehat like, what was his naam like compared to others.

Did he ever do seva in the panj for the jatha?

hor likho veero, sangdey kio yaa? smiling smiley
some gursikhs have recordings and other information on Dr Sahib Jee, they will eventually put them up
Vaheguroo Ji!

Bhai MB Singh Jeeo, when you said, "My singhni tells me that he made them know that they do not wear additional cloth piece in their KES to make their Dastaar look bigger one. And once a girl friend of her untied & tied her Dastaar in front of Dr Sahib, to make it sure to him, that she has long hair on her head and it was not the extra piece of cloth in her hair."

Forgive me but I wasn't quite clear on what you're saying, I am assuming you're talking about tying a bunga, did Dr Sahib Jee speak in favour of tying a bunga or against? Thank you jeeo.
Veer Ji practically speaking, sometimes it is not convenient to tie a dastar, without having a small piece of cloth wrapping kes with it (may be you call it a bunga?). I do not know how many of us do like that. It helps to hold the dastar in position tightly. I do not find anything wrong in it.

But what I think, Dr Sahib wanted to convey to young singh/singhnis, is that we should not go for show off. This is what I guess.
Thanks for the clarification jeeo. Hanji, when I say bunga I mean the keski wrapped into kes.
Does anyone have any more sakhis involving dr ji? please share. Bhai sahib's whole jeevan is so inspirational.
Wahegurujio,
"...Dr Surinder Singh and Bhai Fauja Singh
Once Bhai Fauja Singh jee organized a Siri Akhand Paath Sahib at Khalsa Farm (his farm) and many Gurmukhs including Dr. Surinder Singh jee attended this Samagam. Most of the time, Dr Sahib sat in the hazoori of Maharaj and listened to paath. At one point, Dr. Sahib stepped out and Bhai Fauja Singh too followed him and asked him to eat some Langar. Dr. Sahib told Bhai Fauja Singh that he is going out and would be back in about half an hour or so.

In Ludhiana at that time a Singh by the name of Bhai Gurdeep Singh was residing. His son had recently died and he was in a very depressed condition. Bhai Gurdeep Singh was close to Dr. Sahib and Dr. Sahib was able to feel his mental condition. There was no time to reach him the conventional way, so Dr Sahib arrived at the house of Bhai Gurdeep Singh, the other way (spiritual way). Dr Sahib advised Bhai Gurdeep Singh to do Gurbani paath and not be depressed this way. He said that Singhs don’t get depressed when they lose their worldly possessions and always stay in Chardi Kala through Naam and Gurbani paath. Dr Sahib stayed there for about half hour or so and then got up to leave. Bhai Gurdeep Singh went to see off Dr Sahib and for a moment he looked back and then looked outside towards Dr Sahib but he could not find him anywhere.

After some days he met Bhai Fauja Singh and narrated to him the incident of Dr Sahib’s arrival. Bhai Fauja Singh asked him for the date and was surprised to know that on that date, Dr Sahib was attending Akhand Paath Sahib. He then remembered that he had stepped out for half an hour or so. Then they figured out that Dr Sahib had gone to console Bhai Gurdeep Singh who was in an extremely dejected and depressed state of mind. Such was the spiritual state of Dr Sahib."

My humble question/ request, why can't a gupt Sikh (if any available today), go to the rescue of Sikhs as above, and to plead Guru Sahib to intervene/ take action, or help us understand why is Waheguru letting his beloved suffer so much?

Bhul chuk muaf
ks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My humble question/ request, why can't a gupt Sikh
> (if any available today), go to the rescue of
> Sikhs as above, and to plead Guru Sahib to
> intervene/ take action, or help us understand why
> is Waheguru letting his beloved suffer so much?
>

Dear KS Jee the answers are in following panktis.

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
Hukam rajai chalna Nanak likhia nal ||1||

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
Hukmai andar sabh ko bahar hukam na koe ||

Wahegure Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Waheguru bhul chuk muaf, and dhan dhan Jaskiratji.
Learning Keertan

It was 1953 and Bhia Amreek Singh, Hazooree Ragi Sree Darbar Sahib, was staying at his native village of Kurali where he would teach children keertan. 10 to 15 children were learning keertan from him.

In Kurali lived Dr. Sahibs sister who had a loving relationship with him. Dr. Sahib used to say that whenever he was having problems, he would go to his siter and her love would make him forget all his worldly pains and sorrows. His sisters husband, S. Guriqbal Singh had a lot of land and was respected in the entire area.

Once, when Dr. Sahib was visiting his sister, Bhai Amreek Singh came to their home. He was blind and had a strong relationship with this family. Bhain jee replied that Bhai Amreek Singh taught keertan. Dr Sahib asked if Bhai Sahib would teach him keertan and his sister replied, Of course, he is like our child. Why wouldn't he teach you keertan?

The next day Dr. Sahib joined the other students and learned the basic notes. Bhai Amreek Singh himself tells that when Dr. Sahib joined his class, he was very effected by Dr. Sahibs high spirituality. Dr. Sahib gave Bhai Amreek Singh the first edition of the Amrit Keertan which he has kept ever since.

Dr. Sahibs first shabads were Darshan daehkh jeevaa(n) gur taeraa,Charan kamal kee aas piaaray and Too(n) thaakuro bairaagaro.

Dr Sahib used to sing very softly. Once Bhai Amreek Singh said, Guru kay laal jee, you should sing the shabad in a loud voice. Dr. Sahib replied, Bhai Sahib, I don't do keertan for others to hear. I am learning keertan only so I can hear it myself.

Dr. Sahib liked the calm keertan style of puraatan Gurmukhs. He would say that anyone who wanted to enjoy the ras of keertan should listen to Bhai Amreek Singh Hazooree Ragi. Dr. Sahib also gave Bhai Amreek Singh a vaja and told him to teach his new students keertan on it. Bhai Sahib still has this vaja with him. He says that whenever he teaches someone keertan on it, the memory of Dr. Sahib is revived.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login