ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Akhan aukha Sacha Nao-EXplanation

Posted by hps 
Akhan aukha Sacha Nao-EXplanation
January 13, 2012 01:54AM
Veer jio,
I am sincerely sorry that I am bothering you about my doubts and have nothing positive to contribute on this Board.
I am new to Gurbani but have all the intentions to carry it forward till I live or till I have have to live. One come across some lines and Tuks and one feel stuck up and seeks guidance. I seek guidance. Could you please let me understand as to why Guru ji has stated :

Akhan Aukha Sacha Nao[[/u]/color]..[9-15]

For me Naam is 'waheguru' and I should pronounce it with 'Dhyaan' .Is it because of this that it is stated to be Aukha or there is some hidden meaning? Kindly illuminate.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

Akhan Aukha Sacha Nao||

For me Naam is 'waheguru' and I should pronounce it with 'Dhyaan' .Is it because of this that it is stated to be Aukha or there is some hidden meaning? Kindly illuminate.

Even without Dhyaan, it is difficult to say Saacha Naao (True Naam). Here are some thoughts on this Pankiti:

1. Aukha literally means difficult. Here this word seems to have been used as an adverb - it is difficult to say Naam.

2. The mind for millions and billions lifeforms has been used to doing non-spiritual activities. It can happily continue doing these non-spiritual Maya activities so long as it can derive pleasure from it. If the mind has to watch a thriller movie for 2 hours it will readily do so, with full concentration but if you ask the Mind to do Simran of Saacha Naao for even 10 minutes, it has great difficulty in doing so.

3. It may not be too hard to just say Naam but to say Naam with Gurmat Vidhi which involves full concentration on Naam Dhuni is a very very difficulty thing to do. Challenge yourself and try saying Naam just 10 times in a row without getting any Furna (thought) within. Even the thought that "I am not going to let any thought come" is a thought albeit a benign thought, still it has to be eschewed. So yes, it is hard (Aukha) to say Naam with Gurmat Vidhi.

4. Aukha also seems to mean Durlabh (rare) here. What percentage of Jeevs in this world actually get to say Saacha Naao. There has been no study done on how many Jeevs exist in this world but the numbers must be more than trillions of trillions. Yes the population of Jeevs in human form is about 6 or 7 billion but if you count all life forms, then God knows how many Jeevs are there. Out of all Jeevs, perhaps the Sikhs of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee, at this time make up only 0.00000000001%. This means that indeed it is very hard (Aukha) for the average Jeev to have the fortune of saying Saacha Nao.

Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Great question and great answers from Kulbir Singh jeeo - here is further thought process and views on the same "most difficult issues" for us jeeves on this planet:

The faults of false ego-sense (Haume) include lust (desire etc.), anger, greed, attachment to worldly objects due to delusion, and pride; and their numerous variations such as enviousness, stubborn mindedness, selfishness, shooting nonsense or excessive talking, and so on. The SGGS says that the lifestyle of a true devotee includes eradication of these Bikaars (negativity) from one's mind. Eradication of these Bikaars means eradication of one's Haume (false ego-sense). The lifestyle of true devotees is mentioned here by the SGGS to be "the most difficult", because it's very difficult to eradicate Haume and its faults (Bikaars). Which simply implies that — for most of us — "the most difficult thing" to do in life is to get rid of the Haume (false-ego sense)!

ਭਗਤਾ ਕੀ ਚਾਲ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ॥ ਚਾਲਾ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ਭਗਤਾਹ ਕੇਰੀ ਬਿਖਮ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲਣਾ ॥ ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਤਜਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਬੋਲਣਾ ॥ ਖੰਨਿਅਹੁ ਤਿਖੀ ਵਾਲਹੁ ਨਿਕੀ ਏਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਜਾਣਾ ॥: Bhagathaa kee chaal niraalee ...: The lifestyle of the devotees is unique and distinct. The devotees' lifestyle is unique and distinct; they follow the most difficult path. They renounce greed, avarice, pride and desire; they do not talk too much. The path they take is sharper than a two-edged sword, and finer than a hair (sggs 918).
ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਹੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਓਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: Haumai sabh sareer hai hayumai opati hoi: Ego is within all the bodies; and through ego the beings are born (sggs 560).
ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥: Haumai vichi prabh koi na paae: No one finds God through egoism (sggs 664).
Therefore, renunciation or annihilation of one's ego is the true meditation — the real Jap, Tap and Sanjam. In other words, removal of one's ego is the true prayer (Ardaas), or Naam-Simran. Simply put, the ultimate victory is the disappearance of one's ego. The Gurbani indicates this to be "the most difficult thing" for us humans to accomplish.

ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਅਵਰ ਤਿਆਗਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਉਰਾ ॥: Simarahu raam naam ath niramal avar thiaagahu houmai kouraa: Renouncing your ego, remember in meditation the most pure and sublime Lord's Name (sggs 415).
ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥: Jap Tap Sanjam houmai maar: Jap, Tap and Sanjam come by subduing the ego (sggs 1343).
ਆਪੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਹੁ ॥: Aap shod benatee karahu: Offer your prayers renouncing your false self: ego or Haume (sggs 295).
Thus, according to the SGGS, it is essential but very difficult for us humans to transcend identification with the body-mind-intellect personality (Haume). However, the infinite benefit one gains by this ultimate victory over ego (Haume) is Self-realization — the realization of one's True Nature as the Universal Self ("Joti-Svaroopa),or to experience that one's True Self and God, or simply Truth, are one and the same.

ਮਾਰਗੁ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥: Maaragu muktaa houmai maar: The path of liberation is found by killing ego (sggs 1274).
ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥: Nanak houmai maari milaaiaa: O Nanak, conquering egoism, we are absorbed into the Divine (sggs 153).
ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੇ ਤਾ ਦਰੁ ਸੂਝੈ ॥: Haumai maare taa dar soojhai: Kill your ego, then you will find God's Door (sggs 842).
ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਜਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੈ ॥: So jan saachaa ji haumai maarai: That humble being is true, who kills his ego (sggs 230).
ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਈ ਤਾ ਕੰਤ ਸਮਾਈ ॥: Hayumai jaaee taa kant samaee: Only by eliminating ego, you link with God (sggs 750).
ਨਾਉ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਹਉਮੈ ਗਈ ਸਭਿ ਰੋਗ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥: Naaou maniai haumai gaee sabh rog gavaaiaa: With faith in the Divine Name, egoism is eradicated, and all sickness is cured (sggs 1242).
ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੀ ॥: Ih mann nirmal hayumai maaree: The mind becomes pure when ego is killed (sggs 1049).
Accordingly, although it's the most difficult thing to do, still the SGGS time and again urges to to do it and be successful at it while still alive. For, as indicated in the SGGS, this is the only purpose of human life. The SGGS gives us clear vision of the ultimate Goal of human life, and the means to achieve that Goal. Therefore, it becomes essential for us, especially for a spiritual seeker, to gain true basic knowledge and understanding of the Gurbani. Such basic knowledge and understanding, in turn, will also help one understand Gurmukhs (Mahaatamaans, saintly beings etc.) to some extent.

Removal of this Haume — which is said to be the source of all human problems — is not an automatic process like digesting food. The SGGS never says it's an easy thing to do. Even with high education or material success in life, it is an extremely difficult feat. What is required as per the SGGS is a total inner transformation of our vision of life and its purpose.

ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥ ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥: Bhaee praapat maanukh dehureeaa. Gobind milan kee ih teree bareeaa. Avar kaaj terai kitai n kaam. Mil saadh sangat bhaj keval Naam ||1||: (You) have obtained (this) human body. This is your chance (time, opportunity...) to meet God. (If no effort is put forward to Realize God, then) all other efforts (work, ਉੱਦਮ) will be of no use (to your Soul). (Therefore) merge with the Saadhsangt and contemplate the Naam (Gur- or Aatm-Giaan...) alone ||1|| (sggs 12).
ਤਿਆਗਹੁ ਮਨ ਕੇ ਸਗਲ ਕਾਮ ॥: Tiaagahu man kae sagal kaam: Abandon all the desires of your mind (sggs1182).
ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਤਿਆਗਿ ॥: Kaam krodhh lobh man thae thiaag: Drive out lust, anger and greed (i.e. all evil passions) from your mind (sggs 1271).
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪਣਾ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸਬਦਿ ਕਸਵਟੀ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਝਗੜਾ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਸਥ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮੰਝਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥: Guramukh aapanaa manu maariaa sabad kasavatee laai. Mann hee naal jhagarraa mann hee naal sath mann hee manjh samaai: Applying the Touchstone of the Shabad, by becoming the Gurmukh, the Gurmukh conqueres his mind (prevents it from falling in love with Maya, etc.). He fights with his mind (its evil inclinations: ਬਿਕਾਰ-ਬਿਰਤੀ), he settles with his mind (make his mind understand), and he becomes immersed (in the auspicious nature of: ਸ਼ੁਭ-ਬਿਰਤੀ) his mind (sggs 87).
ਛੋਡਿ ਸਗਲ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਗੁਮਾਨੁ ॥: Shod sagal siaanapaa mil saadh tiaag gumaan: Abandon all your clever tricks; meet with the Holy (Saadh-Sangat), and renounce your false pride (sggs 1006).
Not an easy path to tread! According to the SGGS, the path " is sharper than a two-edged sword, and finer than a hair". However, nevertheless, as indicated in the SGGS, it's a treadable path. But it's up to us to do our part. For example, if we want light in our room, we have to make the effort to at least turn the switch on in that room. Similarly, to tread this path, the SGGS urges us to put forward our best effort (Uddam) to advance along the spiritual path {moving from Manmukhtaa or materiality (Haume-consciousness} to Gurmukhtaa (Divine Lifestyle), sincerely loving the Guru by following His words (Gur-Shabad), sincerely performing our spiritual practices (Naam-Simran, keeping Saadh-Sangat etc.); trying to cultivate divine qualities like truthfulness, contentment, Knowledge (Aatam-Giaan), compassion, humility, detachment, patience, acceptance, love, and so on. But, as indicated in the SGGS, very "rare" one embarks on this path! Rest of us just remain entangled in the enchanting worldly objects and waste away.

ਗੁਣ ਸੰਜਮਿ ਜਾਵੈ ਚੋਟ ਨ ਖਾਵੈ ਨਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਜੰਮਣੁ ਮਰਣਾ ॥: Gun sanjam jaavai chot n khaavai naa tis jamman maranaa: One who departs with Sanjam of virtues is not struck down, and is not consigned to the cycle of birth and death (sggs76).
ਗੁਣ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਿਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ॥: Gun antar naahee kiou sukh paavai Manmukh aavan jaanaa: With no virtues within, how can you find Sukha? The self-willed Manmukh comes and goes in reincarnation (sggs 76).
Re: Akhan aukha Sacha Nao-EXplanation
January 20, 2012 07:22PM
Thank you very much S.Kulbir Singh ji, for a lucid and elaborate explanation. I shall remain ever grateful for this.

harpreet singh
January 21, 2012 02:35AM
ns44 Wrote:

Hello Veer ji,
Thanks for supplementing your views. There are questions that seems elementary in nature but are of very great significance as these encapsulate the entire sikhi. Before taking up simran we all have to be a perfect human being in the sense that we must control the five lower passions and develop higher virtues with His grace. The only question that remains unanswered is that we are ourselves our own guide till we get some signals from Guru Sahibaan directly and that is the period that one requires the guidance of fellow sikhs who might have attained higher states on account of their practice. Sikhi is more about becoming morally strong and then remain in contemplation of the waheguru.

I am well on my path though late but I think it is the way He has planned things for me. I do practice Gurbani but the entire message of sikhi is 'simran'/' Naam jap'. It is a must for every one who wants to move forward on our path.

Another thing that I have noted is that we do not respond to each others calls properly though I have no complains on this forum. Mr. Kulbir singh ji has been a very helpful person and my regards to hm.Sikhs should be more interactive in giving that we know.
I sincerely thank you once more for the pains that you have taken in posting the Gurbani lines and I shall take some time in assimilating these before responding. A great post and a great effort that is very much appreciated.

harpreet singh
Harpreet Singh jeeo - don't mention it at all - the pleasure is all mine - this keera gets to do some hard thinking when gems such as yourself ask questions - it reiterates my learning so Thank you veer jeeo and this forum for providing such means.
January 26, 2012 08:32PM
In continuation with 'sabad' and 'shabad', following are some of the entreis related to 'sabad' and 'shabad'. I find my self at loss in differentiating 'sabad' .i.e the infinite wisdom and 'shabad'; the Gur Vaaks/Gurbani.

Following are taken from ang 19 of SGGS ji. If you would kindly permit, I may knidly be allowed to post my queries in this thread it self.

1. ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਭੇਦੀਐ ਕਿਉ ਸੋਹੈ ਗੁਰਦੁਆਰਿ ॥[19-5]
Until she has been pierced through with the Shabad, how can she look beautiful at Guru's Gate?
2. ਨਾਨਕ ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਗਣੀ ਜਿਨ ਸਹ ਨਾਲਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥੫॥੧੩॥
O Nanak, blessed is that fortunate bride, who is in love with her Husband Lord. ||5||13|
[ is the 'sabad' here refer to infinite wisdom of guruvaak/gurbani.?]

Kindly explain the meaning of the above 'Tuks'. I am an illiterate and shall be grateful if if you would kindly advise me about the meaning of above in perspective.
Gurbani talks a lot about piercing the Mann (mind) through Shabad. In order to understand this, we need to understand what the mind is and it's resting place in the body. The mann is extremely slippery and fast. It cannot be held for too long at one place. It's constantly running around. When it does stabilize, it does so only in the domain of Maya. When you try to bring it to enjoy and devour the spiritual food of Gurbani and Naam, it stays for a second and again runs out through different Mayavaadi thoughts. The resting place of the Mann is Hirda which is said to be 10 fingers above the Nabh Kaval. When the Mann resides in the Hirda, and then as Naam is chanted with Gurmat Vidhi, the Dasam Duaar opens up. There is no need to try to find the Hirda and make the mind reside in it. All we need to do is chant Gurmat Naam with Gurmat Vidhi that was taught to us at the time of Amrit Chakkna. Follow the Dhuni (sound) of Naam and rest all, just falls in place.

Imagine a video game in which the mann is a superfast deer. Imagine that we are the hunter. The hunter wants to hunt this deer but it's too fast for all its weapons and arrows. This deer is not only fast, it is also magical, like the one that enticed Sita and prompted her to cajole her husband Rama to catch him. The hunter tries many kinds of arrows, but the deer does not get hit. Then the hunter gets a supersonic extra-sensory bow and arrow. This Gurmat bow with the arrow of Naam is capable of catching the hunter because it is faster than the deer but the problem now is focus. The hunter is standing on a very shaky ground and every time it aims at the deer and shoots an arrow, the manmat ground below shakes and the arrow misses its target. This Manmatti shaky ground are the thoughts we get while chanting Naam. As soon as the Manmatt subsides within, the hunter is able to hit the deer with the arrow of Naam and the mind comes under control.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that we just need to say Naam one time, with full focus and Gurmat Vidhi and all shackles and walls of falsehood are broken but this capability to say Naam with such force comes after chanting Naam millions of times. When chanting Naam, the arrow of Naam hits or pierces the mind,provided we chant Gurmat Naam without having external thoughts. Once the mind gets pierced by the arrow of Naam, it stops being a jerk (sorry for the slang) and comes under control.

ਸਭਿ ਰਸ ਭੋਗਣ ਬਾਦਿ ਹਹਿ ਸਭਿ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਵਿਕਾਰ ॥
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਭੇਦੀਐ ਕਿਉ ਸੋਹੈ ਗੁਰਦੁਆਰਿ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਗਣੀ ਜਿਨ ਸਹ ਨਾਲਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥੫॥੧੩॥

One cannot get honour at the Guru's house through worldly pleasures; so long as one's mind is not pierced through the Shabad. Guru Sahib says that the Sohagan (loving consort) is Dhan (blessed, fortunate), because she is in love with her Husband (Vaheguru).

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login