ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sehaj Paath Maryada

Posted by Singh1469 
Sehaj Paath Maryada
November 19, 2011 03:20PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

With Guru Jee's kirpa, I hope to start a sehaj paath soon, I have some general questions regarding maryada's involved with doing the seva of a sehaj paath and hopefully sangat will be able to help in this regard.

This is what I know so far, before bringing Maharaj's saroop from the sukhasan asthan, an ardas is performed asking for permission of Akal Purkh to do the prakash seva of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Guru Ji's saroop is carried into the Darbar Sahib where the sehaj paath seva will be performed, Guru Ji is placed on the Takht Sahib, Guru Ji's ramallay are opened and the saroop is gently placed upon the cushions, the saroop is prakashed, then ramallay are put in place, and Guru Ji's saroop is then covered with the big ramalla sahib.

Then another ardas is then performed asking Maharaj's permission to start the sehaj paath, stating the reason for the sehaj paath, asking Maharaj for kirpa, and for the bhog/parvan of the karah prashad is then performed. After ardas, a hukamnama is then taken.

So after the hukamanama, the angs with respect and love are brought to the beginning of the saroop and Sri Japji Sahib is started. This is where my questions start, before starting Sri Japji Sahib, do I say Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh? as well, when the 1st raul of the sehaj paath is completed, should 6 paurian of Anand Sahib be recited? should another ardas be performed and another hukamnama be taken? and is so, after the hukamnama, before sukhasan should a small Ardas be performed thanking Guru Ji for allowing the seva of prakash, and asking for permission to do sukhasan be done? or should the asking for permission to do sukhasan be made during the ardas after the raul?

And also, after the first initial sehaj paath raul, on the other days that the sehaj paath will be performed, should ardas be performed before starting the raul and hukamnama be taken? should degh on behalf of the sehaj paath be made every day? or only on the arambh and bhog of sehaj paath? and after each raul should another hukamnama be taken?

And then at the time for the sehaj paath bhog, should only the person who performed the sehaj paath sing the bhog salok Mahalla Nauva? or is it ok to have other Gursikhs sit on the tabiya along with the person who performed the sehaj paath? after the sehaj paath is completed at Tera Kita Jato Nahi and or Ragmala, should 6 Paurian of Anand Sahib be recited? or should that be done by the kirtani's?

Thank's for taking the time to respond to my questions, also if there is any other maryada's that I have not mentioned or am unaware of please list those as well.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sehaj Paath Maryada
November 19, 2011 04:33PM
It is great that you are going to do Sehaj Paath. There is a lot of Rass in doing Sehaj Paath.

So after the hukamanama, the angs with respect and love are brought to the beginning of the saroop and Sri Japji Sahib is started. This is where my questions start, before starting Sri Japji Sahib, do I say Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh? as well, when the 1st raul of the sehaj paath is completed, should 6 paurian of Anand Sahib be recited? should another ardas be performed and another hukamnama be taken? and is so, after the hukamnama, before sukhasan should a small Ardas be performed thanking Guru Ji for allowing the seva of prakash, and asking for permission to do sukhasan be done? or should the asking for permission to do sukhasan be made during the ardas after the raul?

6 Pauriaan of Siri Anand Sahib are done after the Prakash of Guru Sahib and then Ardaas is performed. In the Ardaas permission for Sehaj Paath is sought. After Hukamnama Sahib, the Paathi should start Paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and then Degh is distributed. Fateh can be said after Hukamnama Sahib and then after Siri Jap jee Sahib. Some Gursikhs don't say Fateh after Hukamnama Sahib and straight away start Sehaj Paath. This is fine too.

And also, after the first initial sehaj paath raul, on the other days that the sehaj paath will be performed, should ardas be performed before starting the raul and hukamnama be taken? should degh on behalf of the sehaj paath be made every day? or only on the arambh and bhog of sehaj paath? and after each raul should another hukamnama be taken?

Yes Ardaas and Hukamnama Sahib is taken before Raul, everyday. Degh is required only at Aarmabh and Bhog but there is nothing wrong in having Degh everyday as well. In my humble opinioin, another Hukamnama Sahib is not required after each Raul but Ardaas is a must.

And then at the time for the sehaj paath bhog, should only the person who performed the sehaj paath sing the bhog salok Mahalla Nauva? or is it ok to have other Gursikhs sit on the tabiya along with the person who performed the sehaj paath? after the sehaj paath is completed at Tera Kita Jato Nahi and or Ragmala, should 6 Paurian of Anand Sahib be recited? or should that be done by the kirtani's?

It depends on how the Ardaas was done. If the Ardaas is done that you alone would do the Paath, then the whole Paath should be done by you but if such condition is not implicitly or explicitly said in the Ardaas, then anyone can do the Bhog of the Paath. At the end of the Paath, if you are alone, then 6 Pauris of Siri Anand Sahib can be recited, but if there is Sangat present, then ideally Kirtan is done.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
November 19, 2011 05:06PM
Thank you Bhai Sahib for the answers. I have another question related to the sehaj paath, I have done a bit of reading online regarding sehaj paaths, and I've come across the maryada that for a person's antim sanskar, that the sehaj paath should be started on the day of the cremation and the bhog should be done on the 10th day. Is it ok to start the sehaj paath the day after the person has passed? and perform the sehaj paath bhog on the same day as the funeral, after the cremation has happened? The reason I ask this is because, after a death people look for comfort and solace, and what better way to do this than from the support of Gurbani, and also many times it takes a few days, even a week or more for a funeral to be planned and for a Gurdwara to be booked for the funeral services and since all the family members, friends and sangat are gathered for the funeral, would it be ok to do the sehaj paath bhog on the same day of the funeral, after the body has been cremated?
November 20, 2011 06:17AM
I personally would prefer to keep tradition alive and do Bhog on the 10th day. As far as I have seen, most do Bhog on the 10th day. Where possible, we should keep the tradition alive. Rest, ask 5 Gursikhs in your area about what to do in this case.

Kulbir Singh
November 20, 2011 06:12PM

I've come across the maryada that for a person's antim sanskar, that the sehaj paath should be started on the day of the cremation and the bhog should be done on the 10th day.

Only God knows how this Hindumat Maryada has founds its place in Gurmat.

According to Hindu Texts ( Garuda Puarana), a person remains a ghost after their death for thirteen days.
On the thirteenth day, family members of the deceased perform prayer rituals which consist of holy food and holy water offering
to the ghost. THe ceremony of honoring a deceased relative is is referred to as "Shradhhya Tarpan Sanskar" In this ceremony, they
get a pitcher of water and worship it by start reciting Gyatri Mantar. Supposedly their dead ancestors then drink this water and the food and supposedly get mukhti from rebirths.

Also in the midst of this ceremony Ghee Lamps are lit. The Hindus are specific and are adamant in using ghee lamps as opposed to oil or other
lamps. Their reason being devtas ( spritis) do not like bad smells.

Ironically, some Gursikhs and Jathebandis follow a similar ceremony after a relative is deceased or when conducting an AKhand Paath.
The mention of starting a Sehah Paath after 10 days comes from the "maryada " of finishing an AKhand after 13 days to give "mukhti" to the Ghost spirit. It usually takes three days to conduct an AKhand Paath so if we start on the tenth day then on the 13th day the final rites can be concluded. In the past, people who would use ghee lamps, incense, multiple pray reciting during AKhand Paath, pitchers of water, offering of coconuts, etc would also conduct the AKahnd Paath 13 days after the deceased.
November 20, 2011 07:06PM
I am inclined to agree with Veer Sukhdeep Singh here. I too am not sure why Sehaj Paath Bhog should be done on 10th day only. In any case, the Mahaatam is of Paath and not of number of days. Consult Gursikhs of your area, who are aware of the situation, and do as they say.

My previous post was more for the purpose of not stirring a controversey at the sensitive time of funeral.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login