ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sukhmani Sahib

Posted by mahamoorkh 
Sukhmani Sahib
March 04, 2010 02:17PM
Bhai Kulbir Singh do you have or can you translate any articles on the greatness of sukhmani sahib path

I.e from Bhai Randhir Singh and other books by gurmukhs

Thanks!!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sukhmani Sahib
March 04, 2010 02:31PM
This daas wrote this few years ago. Hopefully this will help:

What to write about the greatness of Siri Sukhmani Sahib? Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee Maharaaj did great Parupkaar (benevolence) on humankind by composing Siri Sukhmani Sahib. Ever since Siri Sukhmani Sahib came to this world, Gursikhs and non-Gursikhs have fallen in love with it. Whoever heard it could not resist it.

Hazrat Mian Mir, the famous Sufi of the Vahadtul Shavood sect of Sufism, became so fond of this sweet Amrit Baani, that he used to listen to it everyday. It was while listening to Siri Sukhmani Sahib that the daughter of a Muslim Maulvi - Bibi Kaula fell in love with Sikhi and converted to Sikhi.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that the seekers of Vaheguru who are seriously serious of attaining Vaheguru and who want their Naam to go in full force are recommended to do as many paaths of Siri Sukhmani Sahib as possible. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee before he was blessed with darshan of Vaheguru, used to do continuous non-stop paaths of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. He never stopped and all day long used to do paaths of Siri Sukhmani Sahib.

Bhai Atma Singh Panjokhra jee who was one of the companions of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee used to tell singhs that his father who was a very strict Bibeki, used to tell him that Puratan Singhs used to say that if a Singh wants to be a "laadla Singh" (loving Singh) of Guru Sahib, he should do paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib everyday, without fail.

Bhai Rama Singh of UK has written very beautifully about the greatness of Siri Sukhmani Sahib in his book. He writes that his boss who was a Hindu, used to tell him that he became a diplomat from a mere servant because he started doing the nitnem of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. His boss used to be a very low grade servant and someone told him to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib. As soon as he started doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib, he started rising career-wise. Soon he became a senior diplomat for India.

Siri Sukhmani Sahib has 24 Ashtpadis, 24 Saloks, and one Rahao wali pankiti. Each Ashtpadi has 8 shabads and each shabad has 10 pankitiyaan (lines). All lines of pankitis are of same length and poetic weight. The language is quite easy and anyone with little effort can grasp the meaning of it.

Doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib with concentration is like walking through a tunnel full of amrit. The mind that wanders in ten directions, comes to a standstill by the end of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. The last ashtpadis are extremely nectarous and full of amrit.

There is so much chardi kala in Siri Sukhmani Sahib that reading it the dead hearts blossom like roses blossom in spring. Siri Sukhmani Sahib has answer to every spiritual and worldly problem we can possibly face. Siri Sukhmani Sahib is indeed the manee (jewel) of happiness. Whoever possesses this jewel is guaranteed happiness in this world and in the next world.

It is quite perilous to not do paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib every day. A Sikh who gets used to the protection of Siri Sukhmani Sahib can never not without it.

It is quite easy to memorise Siri Sukhmani Sahib. All one has to do is a little bit of effort. It is very long but it is equally easy to memorise. Memorising Sukhmani Sahib is important so that if you go anywhere where you don't have access to Gutka Sahib, you can recite this baani from Kanth.

What more to write? Only by doing paath of this great baani can we realize (slowly) how great this baani is.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
March 04, 2010 02:48PM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee wht baania should a gursikh read on to of his nitnaam everyay as a must
March 04, 2010 03:31PM
Vahegurooooo

Beautiful Ustat Of Sukhmanee Sahib
March 04, 2010 08:58PM
The six page article, The message of SUKHMANI of Guru Arjan Dev, by Prof. Puran Singh is wonderful. He writes

It is like a river in which we can dip our soul.------------------- it is a hymn which is to set all the loose screws of humanity right.----------------------That insane mind into which business worries had driven me comes upon nations, they lose temper, they go to war and kill mlilions. Before they lose all control, if they could bathe in lyrical river of Guru Arjan Dev, the world could be set right.----------------------------Sukhmani is the Harminder built in song.

A thirsty longing to meet Guru Arjan Dev, a dumb wish to go barefooted to see Him are the preparations for the song of Sukhmani. It is a music and it requires music in us to dare approach it.-----------------------------And it is the sight of the reader of Sukhmani that shall make the music of Sukhmani universal for man. By seeing the son, they shall see the father. If u can not produce the type of man which Sukhmani invokes, you will die and the song shall die also because in its dialect it is so local. The translation of such things is through men living the great love-inspired life.

-----------------Unless everyone is more than Joseph, of what use is being called SIKHS, who have that glorious hymn-------------------- of the GURUS.................
March 05, 2010 04:02AM
Bhai Sahib in his autobiography has written, that it took him 2 hrs and 40 mins to do a sukhmani sahib paath. What amazing rass and concentration. Someone correct me if i'm wrong
March 05, 2010 05:45AM
This will sound like the most retarded question, but...can 1 paath be completed in more than 1 day? I am asking if someone can't complete all in 1 day and "spread it out" over more than 1 day, say 2-3 days?

Sorry and Thanks!

- Mehtab Singh
March 05, 2010 06:04AM
Veer Mehtab Singh jeeo,

This will sound like the most retarded question, but...can 1 paath be completed in more than 1 day? I am asking if someone can't complete all in 1 day and "spread it out" over more than 1 day, say 2-3 days?

Ideally, Siri Sukhmani Sahib or any other Gurbani should be read in one sitting, with full concentration. Having said that, since Siri Sukhmani Sahib is a long Baani and most of us, in this dark age of Kalyug are tied in the bonds of Maya, it is okay to spread this paath over the whole day.
The next step below this is to do paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib over 2 or 3 or 4 days. It is better than not doing it at all. Once this paath gets memorized or one becomes fluent in it, then one can reduce the number of days it takes to do it.

Kulbir Singh
March 05, 2010 07:34AM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee whats the best and quickest way to memoise this Sukhmani Sahib Da paath???? so how many should we do in a day and how long will it take to memorise???
March 05, 2010 11:16AM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee whats the best and quickest way to memoise this Sukhmani Sahib Da paath???? so how many should we do in a day and how long will it take to memorise???

please answer
March 05, 2010 05:54PM
"not mahamoorakh" veer

lol
its so hard to address you singhaaa

i think it depends on you as a person to how many paaths u can manage in a day. Also, it'll take everyone their own sweet time to memorize this baani. Some can do it fast, some slow. Guroo Sahib's Kirpaa.

But yes, bhai kulbir singh jeeo, do give suggestions on how to get it done ASAP ?

Daas
Tanvir Singh
March 06, 2010 03:34PM

Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee wht baania should a gursikh read on to of his nitnaam everyay as a must

As per what we hear from puraatan Gurmukhs, apart from the prescribed 5 baanis in the morning and 2 in the evening, a Gursikh should do Siri Sukhmani Sahib and Siri Asa kee Vaar. Some Gursikhs also suggest adding Ramkali kee Vaar, Baramaha Sahib and Basant kee Vaar. Other than this, a Sikh must always have open Sadharan Paath of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee and do a minimum of  Angs a day. This ensures and one Sadhaaran Paath of Siri Gurru Granth Sahib jee is done once a year.

Everyone is different as far as memorizing Baani is concerned. I think, the baani that we have been reading in previous lives is the easiest to memorize and the new baanis that we start doing paath in this life are a bit harder to memorize.

It is very important to memorize Gurbani and it is written in the old rehitnaamas that the loving singhs of Guru Sahib, memorize as much baani as possible. If someone can post the original pankiti, that will be great.

Baba Harnaam Singh Rampur Khere waale, warned his close associates to memorize as much baani as possible. He said that a very bad time is coming up and Gurbani will become rare (Durlabh is the word he used).

Faithful Muslims, the diwaanay of Prophet Mohammad, out of love for Koran Shareef memorize the whole of Koran Sharif and such faithful Muslims are called Haafiz i.e. ones who “hifaz” the Koran”. Prophet Mohammad encouraged his followers to memorize Koran and this is the reason why Koran has stayed unchanged over so many years. At any given time, there are numerous haafiz of Koran.

Many Old time Pandits had 4 Vedas memorized and it is said that Vedas were put in writing only few thousand years ago

Father of Sardar Kahn Singh Nabha, had whole of Guru Granth Sahib jee memorized and he was an “Atee Akhand Paathee”. An Atee Akhand Paathee is such Khalsa who can do the whole of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib in one sitting without stopping. Once the Nabha-pat (King of Nabha) asked Bhai Sahib (S. Kahn Singh’s father) to recite whole of Siri Akhand Paath in one sitting. Bhai Sahib agreed and he did the whole Akhand Paath in one sitting. He was a great gursikh. His name was Baba Narayan Singh.

Baani is the aadhaar (foundation) of a Sikh and it is not possible to always read baani from Gutka or pothi. Sometimes we may be stuck in such situations where we may not have access to Gurbani. Are we going to stop doing paath then? In order to protect our Rehit, we must try our best to memorize Nitnem, Siri Sukhmani Sahib and Asa kee Vaar. This much Baani is a must to memorize because this is how much Baani we should strive to do paath of, everyday.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee had great amount of baani memorized. He wrote whole of Gurmat Bibek, without the help of any pothi as he was in jail at that time. All the parmaans (references) to Gurbani in that book were from his memory. There are about 500 quotes from Gurbani in this book of Bhai Sahib. It is amazing to see how much baani he had memorized. Bhai Sahib writes that after amrit, he used to do Sukhmani Sahib all the time. How could he have done it, if he had not had it memorized?

It is said that if we continue to memorize something as we get older, our mind stays stronger and fresh. After finishing studies, most people stop learning anything more and sensing this, our body acts to free up the cells in brain that are intended for memory. If we start to memorize baani, our mind will become more sharp and there is no limit to how much baani we can memorize.

The best way to memorize baani is to take baby-steps in memorizing it. Say, you want to memorize Siri Sukhmani Sahib. Give yourself one week to memorize one ashtpadi. Read that ashtpadi about 8-10 times a day and on day 4, start memorizing the the pauris one by one. You will be surprised how easily you will  have it memorized. If we memorize one ashtpadi a week, we can have Siri Sukhmani Sahib memorized in less than 6 months. Can you imagine the benefits of having this baani memorized?

Similarly, it is imperative to memorize Siri Asa kee Vaar. If we don’t have this baani memorized, we just have to sit and listen to the kirtan but if we have it memorized we can sing and listen to baani. This is double laaha. Our rasna will get pure while singing this baani and we can keep our eyes closed to minimized distractions. Of course, we still have to listen to it.

Here is a summary of formula that worked for me:

• Attempt to memorize one Ang of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee at a time. One ang would be roughly equal to one ashtpadi (actually little less than that) of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. Give yourself at least a week and maximum two weeks to memorize this much baani.

• Remember that a drop may seem very little but if poured consistently, drops can fill a bucket over time. Same way, be patient and memorize little by little and soon you can memorize a lot of baani.

• The baani that you are going to memorize in a week or two, should be read at least 7-10 times a day. This will take you only 15 minutes or so. For the first 4 days don’t attempt to memorize it, just read it 7-10 times.

• On the fourth day or the fifth day, or when you can do this baani in less than minute and a half (one ang or one ashtpadi), further divide this baani into 4 or 5 parts and memorize one part a day for next 3-4 days. By the end of the week, you should have this baani memorized.

• Above all, do ardaas before Guru Sahib to have you memorize his baani.

There are many other ways to memorize baani but this is the way I know and have tested on myself. If anyone can benefit from this, I will be greatly thankful to Guru Sahib.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

March 08, 2010 02:57AM

Kulbir Singh
It is very important to memorize Gurbani and it is written in the old rehitnaamas that the loving singhs of Guru Sahib, memorize as much baani as possible. If someone can post the original pankiti, that will be great.

Bhai Sahib Jee, I think this might be what you were referring to:

code]Bhai Desa Singh Jee Rehatnama:

ਦੁਹੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਮੇ ਬਾਨੀ ਜੋਈ ਚੁਨ ਚੁਨ ਕੰਠ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਸੋਈ ॥

dhuhoo gra(n)thh mae baanee joee chun chun ka(n)t(h) karae nith soee

Read the Guru's Bani daily and pick out Shabads and memorize them by heart.[/code] 

March 08, 2010 08:48AM

Thanks for providing the quote from the Rehitnama Bhai Jaskirat Singh jeeo. This is the quote I could not remember at that time.

Kulbir Singh

November 21, 2011 12:51PM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Veer Mehtab Singh jeeo,
>
>
> This will sound like the most retarded question,
> but...can 1 paath be completed in more than 1 day?
> I am asking if someone can't complete all in 1 day
> and "spread it out" over more than 1 day, say 2-3
> days?
>
>
> Ideally, Siri Sukhmani Sahib or any other Gurbani
> should be read in one sitting, with full
> concentration. Having said that, since Siri
> Sukhmani Sahib is a long Baani and most of us, in
> this dark age of Kalyug are tied in the bonds of
> Maya, it is okay to spread this paath over the
> whole day.
> The next step below this is to do paath of Siri
> Sukhmani Sahib over 2 or 3 or 4 days. It is better
> than not doing it at all. Once this paath gets
> memorized or one becomes fluent in it, then one
> can reduce the number of days it takes to do it.
>
> Kulbir Singh

Sorry I dont mean to sound stupid but, are you saying ideally sri sukhmani sahib should be completed in the same day?

or are you saying that if you can't finish it the same day then you can complete it over 2 or 3 days?

I'm confused as i'm not sure if you were you saying to recite the full prayer every day for the next 2,3/4 days??

Thx
November 21, 2011 01:24PM
Kirpa karo, explain the mehma of Sukhmani Sahib in more detail!

~~
Baask
November 22, 2011 07:23AM

Sorry I dont mean to sound stupid but, are you saying ideally sri sukhmani sahib should be completed in the same day?

or are you saying that if you can't finish it the same day then you can complete it over 2 or 3 days?

What I am saying is that ideally, Siri Sukhmani Sahib should be done in one sitting with full Shardha and concentration. The second best thing is to do it within the day and if one, for whatever reason, can't do it in one day, it is fine to complete it in more than one day. The main thing is to do Paath. Doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib, even if it only few Ashtpadis a day, is better than not doing it at all.

Har ko Naam Sada Sukhdaaee|| Naam Japna and Gurbani Paath is always Sukhdaaee. Have no Shanka. Do as much as you can and do for sure. It's better than not doing at all.

Kulbir Singh
November 22, 2011 10:19AM
Bhai Mengha Singh, even though he was shot in the head, he didnt leave his body until he recited the whole of Sukhmani Sahib. Dhan Guru de pyare.
December 10, 2013 08:59PM
Respected Sir,
After reading this article of yours, I am completely in awe of Sri Sukhmani Sahib Ji's path. Lately i have been reading some disturbing news about the crime against women.. whereas the only rescue i feel lies in the feet of WaheGuru and no where else.. it is he who protects you and makes you and it is he who destroys you.

Your article has been really enlightening as it has helped me find a way to connect to WaheGuru and seek his eternal protectionsmileys with beer ..

Thank You.

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login